Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies win thriller . All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:56 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

FFS we won.
It is always hard to win at any time.
We were thrashed last year by this mob.
This year we won.
That is an improvement
The Black and White Lion 

The Black and White Lion

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:02 pm

Yes Joe Richards to get a chance against the Power. Be good for a look at Sullivan and another look at Harrison too. They can’t do worse than our second half against the hawks
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:04 pm

The Black and White Lion wrote:
Yes Joe Richards to get a chance against the Power. Be good for a look at Sullivan and another look at Harrison too. They can’t do worse than our second half against the hawks

It's a real positive that some players in the reserves are pushing for spots.

We need this more than anything to keep our senior players on their toes.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:05 pm

Watching the second half again. Just noticed Naicos' face after Checkers kicks the goal to answer Hardwick's opener for Hawthorn in the first minutes of the 3rd quarter. His facial expression after Checkers' goal betrayed smugness, bordering on arrogance. Just looked really complacent, as if the game is a foregone conclusion and whatever Hawthorn does, we will be able to respond easily. Perhaps typified the mindset dominating our team which undermined the performance after half time (?)
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:07 pm

What’s worse than playing poorly and still winning ??

Once we’ve all agreed on the answer, then the best we can do is hope for a better effort against Port. We’ll all know more in two weeks, so let’s all cool our jets ( which won’t happen of course ) until we see their response against Port.
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:07 pm

I just wonder how players that you’ve never heard of suddenly get hold of us and look like world champions,like that number 15 for them who seemed to mark it and kick a goal every time he went near the ball.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:09 pm

We cannot underestimate the losses of both McStay and Murphy at both ends of the ground and how it's affecting our overall structure.

Without Murphy down back, Moore has looked like a shadow of himself. His biggest strength is intercept marking but forcing him into a 1-on-1 contest is fraught with danger. Frampton has done well to mitigate Murphy's absence, but it's still impacting us.

McStay would be very handy right now to give us some height and to ease the burden on on our forwards, particularly Mihocek who's been forced to play as a first tall rather than as a natural third tall. McStay was averaging 2-goals a game in the second half of last season before he missed the Grand Final.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:09 pm

Wow. Didn't see a second of it but on paper that second half of ours looks really disappointing
Hard not to think that if the Hawks weren't undermanned and fielding the youngest side this round (we were the oldest) the Hawthorn Hoodoo would have struck again.
To only beat this mob by 5pts after De Goey, Mitchell and Jaicos all got 30 is an even more worrying sign.
Clearly a lot of work to do between now and the Port game in 2 weeks time.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:10 pm

doriswilgus wrote:
I just wonder how players that you’ve never heard of suddenly get hold of us and look like world champions,like that number 15 for them who seemed to mark it and kick a goal every time he went near the ball.

Hardwick's been a solid player for them for a number of years, but just not as a forward so it was really irritating that we couldn't nullify his influence quickly enough.

Last edited by Jezza on Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:12 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
What’s worse than playing poorly and still winning ??

Once we’ve all agreed on the answer, then the best we can do is hope for a better effort against Port. We’ll all know more in two weeks, so let’s all cool our jets ( which won’t happen of course ) until we see their response against Port.

I like your optimistic tone, and you're right to say that a better effort may arise against Port Adelaide.

There's plenty of lessons we can derive from today, but we need to seriously improve if we want to have another tilt at the flag this year.

Last edited by Jezza on Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
duke750 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:15 pm

FFS..we need a forward who can mark the ball! We were out marked consistently today.

For all that I was impressed by Beau in the GF, I think he needs to get more of the ball and be more constructive with it. I don’t think there will be many changes after the bye, but I think he needs to spend some time in the VFL.

Reef is not up to AFL standard. I expect that if Nathan Kruger gets thru the VFL next Sat then he will be picked to play Port.

Big Mason has been really disappointing. With his size he should be dominating games. Instead he gives away stupid frees at centre bounds. It is a pity that there is not a ready replacement.

Depending on fitness of Pendles, I can only see 2 changes at most. I am sure Reef will be dropped, and there is a real opportunity for someone to step up and have a great game in the VFL.

warburton lad 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:19 pm

The absence of McStay and Murphy is being very keenly felt at present...

We lack a hit up forward marking option and, nope, Cox is failing us up forward.

Frampton is somewhat compensating for the absence of Murphy, but the backline seems to lack cohesion.

After hitting third gear in the second quarter, we quietly slipped into reverse the second half. McInnes really needed to assert himself but a) wasn't paid a mark in the goal square and then b) failed to get enough on a snap in the last which would have quelled their comeback.

A few changes required against Port.

Out: Cox
In: Begg (raw, but will attack each contest up forward and bring the ball to the ground for the smalls.

Out: McCreery
In: Macrae ( Will gather more possessions and we'll need them against Port's powerful mids)

Out: Lipinski
In: Sullivan (is an absolute hard nut- this will be a huge test for the guy, but we need midfielders who thrive on the contest.. this man is built for this)

Of course, there will most probably be No Change at selection.

We have approx 13 days to 'freshen up' and find some run in the legs- we will need it as Power will be keen to rub our noses in it at The 'G.

Hopefully Pendles is good to go after that crunch to the ribs- we were rudderless without him after half time.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:22 pm

Jezza wrote:
We cannot underestimate the losses of both McStay and Murphy at both ends of the ground and how it's affecting our overall structure.

Without Murphy down back, Moore has looked like a shadow of himself. His biggest strength is intercept marking but forcing him into a 1-on-1 contest is fraught with danger. Frampton has done well to mitigate Murphy's absence, but it's still impacting us.

McStay would be very handy right now to give us some height and to ease the burden on on our forwards, particularly Mihocek who's been forced to play as a first tall rather than as a natural third tall. McStay was averaging 2-goals a game in the second half of last season before he missed the Grand Final.

Not so sure about this Jezza.
Frampton has been fantastic in defence, so I believe that Moore's underwhelming performances thus far are not due to the absence of Murphy.
Losing McStay is definitely a blow in our F50, but we played much of last year without him.
I think our major issues so far stem from the midfield.
Mitchell was great today, but he can't do this by himself. We need another inside mid to go with him, and ease the burden. We had noone today to help him.
Unfortunately, Cox is not having an impact at the moment in the ruck, nor around the ground.
Jack Crisp made his presence felt rarely today, and we miss that dearly.
Being as reductive , I would attribute our inferior play this year to a lack of midfield inside strength, cohesion and co-ordination going into our forward 50.
We dropped Fin because, according to Fly, he did not take advantage of his opportunity. OK, well another inside mid has to be given an opportunity, because we need another one to run along side Titch.

Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:23 pm

Just put the shining on. Second scariest thing I’ve watched since half time!
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:23 pm

Jezza wrote:
Feeling a little deflated by how poor our performance was in the second half. We had a 10-day break to prepare for this game in contrast to Hawthorn who had a 6-day turnaround yet they ran out the game with more run far better than we did. I'm trying to understand why this was the case.

On the positives, our first half performance was very good. Noble's making the most of his opportunities and sticking up to the selection committee. Frampton is making good progress in his development and is becoming an increasingly reliable defender. I felt that this was also Schultz's best performance for our club, and he's slowly adapting to our system of play which is a real positive. He also got some reward for effort on the scoreboard.

2-3 isn't a catastrophe considering we were 0-3. I do agree with What'sinaname that we need to be 4-4 to stand a chance of doing anything of relevance this year. Our next three is Port Adelaide (H), Essendon and Carlton. We need to win 2 of those 3.

I agree. We are not at all playing at our best, in fact far from it.

Just as a matter of interest, very rarely have I seen teams play their best week in week out. In fact I have seen many wins from teams playing far from their best footy. I used to think that winning games playing ordinary football was better than losing playing at your best but reading the Nicksters comments tonight, I think that this might be outdated thinking. So as usual I’m forced to go against the flow and be very happy with the win with heaps of room left for massive improvement. I’d much rather that line of thinking.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 4 of 11   

Jump to: