Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

A Grundy thread

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:30 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

matrix10 wrote:
Haff wrote:
He was awesome early. First 1.5 qtrs he looked every bit the million dollar man. Not sure what then happened!

I think he copped a hit in marking contest towards the end of the first half
Must have impacted him- as he was completely different player in second half

I thought that at the time too. I’m not making excuses for him but there were a couple instances in the second half where he was moving around like his cage had been seriously rattled ( maybe even a bit of blurred vision )
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:32 am

Grundy is struggling to leap in the air. That's why he dominates stoppages around the ground and in boundry throw-ins.

But in the middle, he can't get off the ground. It doesn't help that umpires can't bounce the ball straight any more. If I was at Collingwood, I would lead the charge to ban the bounce down. If the ball was thrown up, I think Grundy would re-establish his dominance.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:44 am

Jeez, I reckon people need to cut Brodie a bit of slack. He dominated the first half and anyone who actually watched the game should know that he got a massive hit before half time, but played on with only 2 cylinders firing after that.
matrix10 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:57 am

What'sinaname wrote:
Grundy is struggling to leap in the air. That's why he dominates stoppages around the ground and in boundry throw-ins.

But in the middle, he can't get off the ground. It doesn't help that umpires can't bounce the ball straight any more. If I was at Collingwood, I would lead the charge to ban the bounce down. If the ball was thrown up, I think Grundy would re-establish his dominance.

He isn’t helped when umpires bounce badly and he stands his ground and gets free kicks against for blocking
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:10 am
Post subject: Grundy v CarltonReply with quote

For the first quarter and a half against Carlton last Sunday Brodie Grundy was dominant. Then he seemed to get a knock.

He was poor in the second half and particularly in the last quarter. Jack Silvagni beat him in some crucial centre square clearances. This was great for Sam Walsh who didn't seem to be tagged.

Grundy had a great game the week before against Richmond when Toby Nankervis didn't play. The same should've happened against Carlton Was Grundy injured or did he just have a poor second half?
Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:58 am

masoncox wrote:
It begs the question
Why doesn't he just smash the ball forward.
With our mids running onto it.
Not once did we try this today.
FFS we need to do something different

It should be compulsory for Grundy to watch former Geelong ruckman (someone) Burke who used to occasionally smash the ball deep into the opposition territory and put their defence under immediate pressure. Like you said stop being so vanilla and mix it up a bit.🙄 Worth a try.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:19 am

He did that for the last time over a quarter of a century ago: https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/D/Damian_Bourke.html

I think footy's a bit different, now.

Anyway, why would watching a bloke who had one OK season and was otherwise never very good be "compulsory"? He played 6 finals over his career and in those finals averaged just under 12 hitouts and just over 7 disposals per game.

It might be good if he watched old footage of Ottens. Unlike Burke, Ottens could ruck.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:08 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
He did that for the last time over a quarter of a century ago: https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/D/Damian_Bourke.html

I think footy's a bit different, now.

Anyway, why would watching a bloke who had one OK season and was otherwise never very good be "compulsory"? He played 6 finals over his career and in those finals averaged just under 12 hitouts and just over 7 disposals per game.

It might be good if he watched old footage of Ottens. Unlike Burke, Ottens could ruck.

I think you missed my point mate. I didn’t infer that he watch Bourke’s ruck work but that he sees how occasionally smashing the ball into opposition territory might make a difference from gently patting the ball at his feet as if he is playing in the under 12’s. Worth a try, what is there to lose?

AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:37 am

matrix10 wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:

He isn’t helped when umpires bounce badly and he stands his ground and gets free kicks against for blocking

That infuriates me. A perfect example of how some (most) umpires have little understanding of the game.

So because the umpire didn’t bounce the ball properly, the player is penalised. Just incredible.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:51 am

Incredible but unsurprising. I have yet to hear an umpire admit to making a mistake except for after the 2018 GF when Maynard didn’t get a free.
AJ 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:36 pm

Pies should move heaven and earth for Mumford. He could teach Grundy many good things

https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/shane-mumford-retirement-gws-giants-draft-midseason-draft/e2b4836a-b70a-41a1-8b84-0b462522407e?ocid=Social-AFLFS&fbclid=IwAR1qZ89g3CuaTsCLbTUtbJfBPAvPYQhSS6MkN61MRl9UyuxTRv4Y-d2XyIc
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:09 pm

He already taught Grundy how to win the hitouts 73 to 14 against him - after that he plainly has nothing else to give.
AJ 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:20 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
He already taught Grundy how to win the hitouts 73 to 14 against him - after that he plainly has nothing else to give.

Mumford was the difference in the 19 prelim. No good Haig g a ruckman hitting it over 50% of the time to the opposition.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:23 pm

Grundy was magnificent. Treloar was the difference in that game. There's a reason Grundy's at the Club and Treloar isn't. You obviously didn't read the memo.
AJ 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:51 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Grundy was magnificent. Treloar was the difference in that game. There's a reason Grundy's at the Club and Treloar isn't. You obviously didn't read the memo.

There’s a reason the guys who made that decision aren’t at the club.

Is only Grundy had a q of the passion Adz had - he may have been able to make the top 5 ruckman in the comp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 31 of 39   

Jump to: