Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The great Travis Cloke debate

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
didick 

didick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:24 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^could be right mate. All good things must end at some point.
Worse for the fact he couldn't get a teammate to hit him with a pass over the last couple of years.

thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:52 pm

didick wrote:
Cam wrote:
I find this slightly staggering, there must be alot more to this than just form.

Yep shocking and disturbing. Feel for Clokey.
So he gets one week? And he's the one dropped from a crap team performance? This is bullsh$t.

Agreed. Sounds like there has been a falling out between player and coach. If we want to trade him, this is not the right way to go about maximising his trade value.

What don't we know about the situation?
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:23 pm

Surely that is a statement from Bucks given our performance last week.

If we do trade him right now I can't see us getting even a 2nd rounder. Last year we might have prized a 1st rounder out of Freo.

E 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:54 pm

thebaldfacts wrote:
didick wrote:
Cam wrote:
I find this slightly staggering, there must be alot more to this than just form.

So he gets one week? And he's the one dropped from a crap team performance? This is bullsh$t.

Agreed. Sounds like there has been a falling out between player and coach. If we want to trade him, this is not the right way to go about maximising his trade value.

What don't we know about the situation?

You guys are looking too hard and are missing the obvious.

Body is broken. Accept it.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:55 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
didick wrote:
Cam wrote:

Cloke is finished mate. He can no longer get off the ground, let alone crash the packs. All good things come to an end. Dermie was finished at this age too. Time to move on. This gives us an opportunity to bring back Witts to see if he can have a longer term future in our team.

Didn't think he should have been selected last week but I think the club just ran out of alternatives. He'll go back to the VFL and continue to work, hopefully he'll get back later in the season.
MP magpie 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:43 pm

Should have traded last year. Need a US sports mindset with these things.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:43 am

He wasn't our worst player last week, in a very flat effort from the whole team dunno if hes the scapegoat, hope he can find form and make it back, hes not yet thirty and I reckon still has two more good years left in him.,

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:59 am

didick wrote:
Cam wrote:

Agree with you both, I'm flabbergasted

Has anyone seen the greenfield post Facebook thing?

'U put your full forward in, you put your full forward out,
you do the clokey clokey and you turn around!"
It's very funny!

I don't think Clokes the one who should be leaving

Daniel Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:11 am

E wrote:
Daniel wrote:
E wrote:
Daniel wrote:
E wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
E wrote:
Unless you guys are all complete morons, i think you all must have noticed that Cloke's body is clearly shot to pieces from putting his body on the line too often. He looks EXACTLy like Dermie did when he played for Collingwood.

He was desperate to avoid big collisions when he spent an entire career relishing them. Why would he do this with his career on the line unless he is physically limited? there was mention of an epidural for a slipped disc and all sorts of rumors about about his health.

It is sad watching the best power forward of our generation (in my opinion - and this does not mean best forward - i recognize there have been other greats this generation, including Brown, Pavlich, Kennedy, Franklin, roughhead, etc. - i'm talking about the guy who could crash a pack and take the strong bull mark - the POWER forward) struggling now as a result of the very thing that made him great. made me sad watching him.

Its time for us to appreciate the wonderful contribution that Travis Cloke has made to the Collingwood Football Club.

Travis Cloke. Premiership Player! Thank you for a great career. i hope your body allows you some more great games. i understand that might not be possible.

You are looking right there E.
I have kept out of this debate for one reason or other. but I don't think that his lack of crashing the pack is anything other than a body issue.
You mention Dermie And I will put up Gavin Brown because the first half of his career was fantastic but after using his body as a battering ram his career went downhill quickly.
As TP said years of being tripled teamed every week looksh like it has taken a terrible toll.

I'm pretty sure that very few centre half forwards have played much beyond 30, which is why the club did not want to give Cloke a 5 yr contract extension back in 2012. The Dermie comparison is spot on. Cloke and his old man have to face up to the fact that the end is nigh.

Do you think Cloke does, or do you think we do?

Regarding the 5 year contract, i want to say one thing. It is very usual in the USA for a players last contract to run 1-2 years past the players use by date. We need to just get used to that. Partly it is reward for great service, but often, its just the cost of getting a great players in the final prime years of their career.

arguably, we got Cloke on the cheap for the first 7 years of his career (including the premiership year) and then he got a year or two where he was overpaid. It isnt Grossly overpaying him.

How many years do you think Franklin will be paid after he passes his use by date (he has what 8 or nine years left on his contract). Sydney were happy to do this to get the first 5-6 years (and its looking like it might deliver a premiership this year - they look bloody good).

I don't think the USA is a country that does much right, including treating its own citizens with contempt.

Unfortunately, for whatever reason Australia and *some Australians* are like ankle biters who will ask 'how high' when the shambolic USA asks us to jump.

Seriously, do you think Travis Cloke is poor and the club should give him a couple an extra 1.5 million for nothing? Now I've heard it all.

I think that's a very flawed way of thinking.

1) It would ruin our salary cap.

2) People who have character and integrity and belief in their abilities are happy to be on a 1 year deal.

Do you see Sam Mitchell complaining who I rate as one of the all time greats?

Did you see Brian Lake complaining?

Hodge complaining?

Do you see Brendon Bolton complaining who is employed by Carlton and NOT on any contract?

3) Why bother bringing Sydney and what they do into the argument? They're a franchise club of the AFL and can do whatever they like.

- academies (while also being able to access father/sons), inflated salary cap (which other club would be able to buy Tippett after losing a G.F. and the Franklin the year after after winning the GF?

- don't even bother talking about Sydney, as there are different sets of rules that apply to Sydney, G.W.S., Gold Coast and to a lesser degree Brisbane - than all other clubs.

I love a post that alleges bigotry and is itself full of bigotry. I know you know much better than the AFL, but nearly every club has an executive in the US right now trying to learn best practices.

Separately, I honestly think you totally missed my point. Cloke clearly too a discount to market back in 2012 (of that there can be no denying). In the salary cap era (or at least the slary cap leagues that have a hard cap - meaning no ability to move cap space across seasons), it has become common for players that accept lower salaries (to help with the salary cap situations), by spreading the cap hit over extra seasons but getting the same aggregate amount (e.g., $750k over 5 seasons vs $1 million for 4). Even if he is a dud in year 5, he still gets paid the same amount for his 4 likely productive years. Given that, at the time, we had just won a flag and had a lot of salary cap pressure, taking less for longer actually helped the pies rather than hurt them. Of course at some point, you have to pay the piper (and we are doping that now - while we suck - so who cares). I'm sure you don't get this, but this enables you to assemble a better team in the good times (better shot at flag) while paying the piper in the bad times (who cares if you finish 11th or 12th).

Conversely, while Lake and Mitchell might have taken one year deals, they took really big salaries (which probably suited the salary cap situation of the Hawks at that time). I don't think anyone suggested Lake and Mitchell are taking huge haircuts.

Really ignorant post on your part my friend.

You call it bigotry, I call it a healthy debate.

You call it tomato, I call it to-may-to.

Not sure where you're going with the 'bigotry thing' as it seems you are the one more intolerant of my post, than I was offended by yours.

Anyway prescious, I'll try to be 'unbigotry', just for you, speacial offer.

Fistly, if you have evidence "all clubs are going to the US for best practice" let's see it.

I would have thought each club has it's own ideas at to what constitutes 'best practice' and there is no better palace to learn from than the biggest sport in the world - soccer. Why do you suppose we are branching out into netball and women's football? Because we have taken a leaf out of Barca's book, Real Mardrid's book et al.

So please, if you can provide evidence of this US obsession, you are welcome as I would like to see it for one as I am 'ignorant'.

Secondly, Brian Lake joined the Hawks for a reported $150K max when he was traded from the dogs. I'm not sure where you are getting your figures from.

Mitchell (as most Hawks players, and prior Geelong players) all had to sacrifice personal wealth in order to achieve ultimate team success.

Now if we want to follow the US 'best practice' model, it's basically every man for himself and grab as much money as you can, while you can (because that extra $200K a year, on top of your $600K, if going to make you so much happier).

Social Statistics show that the if an individual earns $80K or over per annum, there is little change to that person's level of satisfaction in life, so given all AFL players, and especially stars like Travis Cloke have earnt well over that over a long period, I just don't get where you are coming from. Whether you agree or not, they are looked after and paid much higher than the average wage to do something they love - how many people fit that mould?

I am not talking about players other than Cloke here. I am talking specifically about Travis Cloke who has pocketed a small fortune from not only contracts across his career, but from edorsements outside of the cap.

Do you live in a Mansion where you can park you Harley in your living room? I don't think most people do, but Travis does.

Could you afford to stop work at 28, knowing had you invested prudently, you would not need to lift a finger if you so chose, for the remainder of your life.

What is most disappointing is that Travis has not justified a $400K per annum pay packet, let alone $750K plus. Levi Casboult would be on half of Tav's earnings, yet his output on gameday is significantly higher.

The days of a free lunch are well and truely over and nobody deserves 'a pension of sorts' just because they were loyal to a club. How about the club offering that player and opportunity to have access to the best facilities in the land to give them every opportunity of success, and all the external endorsements that attracts? Could Travis Cloke have achieved what he has without the club? I daresay not, and the club owes him squat.

The so called, 'salary cap era' you are talking about is no resemblance to how it works and I would encourage you to inform yourself before posting heresay.
The player and club decided what is suitable for both in terms of the contract length and how much will be paid each year, trigger clauses, etc etc.

I hope you don't run a business as you would struggle with your ideas to hand out cheques to blokes who aren't perfoming their job to the level required.

Daniel, this is awesome. Thanks for taking the time. Its pretty rambling, but I can confirm a number of your points.

1. Yes, I live in a house were I can park a Harley in my living room (although I might have to move my Ferrari and Maserati).

2. This week I met with a small team of administrators from the West Coast eagles, who are here on a best practices mission. I hooked them up with Brooklyn Nets management while they were in New York (and I am aware they had plans to meet with the Dodgers, Red Sox, Celtics and Lakers organizations as well). They are only one club of a continuous stream of Australian clubs trying to learn about what works and what doesn't work in US sports. Surely you've seen some of these changes. Pretty sure last year, there was public disclosure of the Eddie trip as well. For what its worth, its the really successful clubs like the Eagles, Hawks, Cats and Crows who have spent the most time over here. Collingwood were late to the party, but Hine was here with others about 2 years ago and met with a similar list of teams. I should add, I did not mention that to suggest that they aren't also going to Europe to learn from the European forms of sport as well. I am sure they are. In terms of player salaries though, soccer is a poor model, because, like Baseball over here, they prefer no caps on spending (meaning Barca has been able to spend its way into your heart). I love that you criticize Cloke for earning $750k per year and then praise Barcelona for being good because they pay Lionel Messi about that much per WEEK!!!! If you want to learn about salary cap management, really the states (those greedy little f$ckers) are really the only show in town, since its their idea.

3. I do run a business (a very successful business that experienced 20% profit growth last year on profits exceeding $200 million USD), and in order to retain valuable talent, we routinely over pay them at certain times because their value to the business (at that particular point in time) necessitates us paying overs. Usually the decision is that the cost of replacing them with like talent is too high (or the drop in performance we would have using the next best guy would be too great). Of course, when we have the upper hand (end of career or when they are a dime a dozen and easily replaced), we tend to do better with them. Value in sport (and in business) is, more than ever, about replacement value and less about actual contribution in an absolute sense. The way to think about this is that Cloke would never have got that deal if we had the 2016 version of Darcy Moore on our list back then (or if we didn't think our premiership window was still open).

4. I am 100% right about the salary cap era. Australia is still figuring out which type of salary cap makes sense for the league. NFL uses a season floating cap meaning you can adjust payments season to season as long as in the long term you are within the requirements. This mean a team that thinks they can win this year can pay a bit extra in the current year to put them over the top. Its how the Ravens won the superbowl in 2000 and why they sucked straight after winning. It also means you don't have to get too worried about structuring contracts. The NHL has a hard cap, like the AFL has been historically, which means there is a tendency to put great players on really long deals so that you can spread the cost of a star over non-successful years to enhance your chances in successful years. The NBA has a different cap structure again, where the cap only applies to prevent your trading and free agent flexibility (and to create financial penalties). Baseball on has financial penalties and no real cap at all. My sense is that as a result of a lot of time in the USA, the AFL favors the NFL model (which by the way, is better suited to large numbers of players on team lists). I think there has been talk of them moving that way for some time. Until they do, the long term NHL hockey contract was one was for a club to meet the demands of players and still stay at the top in a competitive environment.

5. I never suggested a free lunch or a pension anywhere in my post. For the reasons stated in 1-4 above, cloke had leverage of $1 million per year deals on the table and Collingwood couldn't match it. Collingwood needed to keep Cloke as they thought (erroneously it turned out), that we could still compete for flags and losing Cloke would have ended that. The only thing they had to counter the large offer was an extra year. They did it to keep their guy. Travis Cloke knew as a power forward, this was definitely his last contract of substance. He (and Collingwood) probably also knew that there was a VERY HIGH probability that Travis Cloke would be a shadow of the player he was by the time 2016 rolled around.

It seems everyone involved in the Cloke deal had their eyes wide open, except you Daniel. I think what your post really shows is that you are upset that Travis Cloke didn't put love of club above all else (including his financial future). You would like him to play for free if that is what is needed so that your team can win a football game.

Imagine if your earning capacity stopped at 28. wouldn't you want to make sure you were set up for life. I recently recruited a former NFL player who played for 5 years as a starting corner. Made really good money and career ended from injury at 290. he is now 35 and trying to find a way to reinvent himself so he can have money when he is 80! That's not something we can relate to. retired at 28. I was just starting my money earning years then.

So thanks for taking the time. Many of your points are thought provoking and many of your comments are also raised by many others on this site who maybe don't think things all the way through.

PS: if you don't have room for your Harley in your living room, I'd be happy to store it in mine. Smile Smile Smile

1) Very happy that your are happy to post about your stuff. It did bring a smile to my face.

2) We get the picture, you can type the names of US Clubs on a Collingwood Fan Site. Congrats. Next post try to squeeze some NFL clubs in, which are the ones you noted yourself would be most relevant in terms of 1 practice to the AFL.

I like the bit where you allege that I 'praise Barca'. Can you point out to me where I did that?

It's not me who is praising them, my club and your club - Collingwood is modelling an 'aspect' of their practice.

Eddie and quite a few AFL execs went to the US last year, and....

What we do know is that Collingwood's CEO has adopted aspects of Barcelona's practices in branching out our brand into Women's Football and Netball.

Soccer in terms of not having a salary cap is a poor model? If you think AFL clubs would be looking at clubs in the UK, Spain, Italy, Germany in search of salary cap models, come back to me when you've reconsidered your thoughts.

Again the accusing me of liking Barca? Where did you get that from?

If you are narrowing your focus to 'salary cap best practice' sharply - maybe it's a good idea to start off with this clear agenda in your first post.

I agree, in this SINGLE field of sports club operations, the US is worthwhile going to. As is visiting any code in any country, where that professional code is exclusive to - particularly a sport like the NFL - of which you did not mention a SINGLE team in your post?

You contradict yourself in point 2 and 4. After going on about the 'salary cap' only, you pick 2 teams in point 2 that later in point 4 you identify both as playing in a league without a cap? You realise the MLB took over operations of the LA Dodgers in 2011 (a bit like going into administration)? Hardly somewhere I would want visit and learn about best practice.

Best practice means a gamut of procedures and processes, identifying the ones usuful to our code, identifying which international or national teams are renowned to be leaders in this area and seeing if you can learn a thing or two and have the resources to implement successfully, if one desires. I don't think your West Coast clients will be taking much away form visiting the Dodgers in particular or any MLB club for that matter - if salary cap IQ is what is being sought.

3) Given you seem to be 'alleging' you run a Player Manager business, your posts are obviously geared towards convincing people that it's okay for you to rob clubs like Collingwood so that you make more money. For a player manager, there is a big difference in getting 1 year extra on a contract also. It gives you 1 more year to milk your player via endorsements.

Unfortunately that money that you believe Cloke is entitled to, he has clearly proven he is not.

I am definitely not going to side with an 'alleged' player manager and greedy former star, where the Club suffers by;

a) having an overpaid list clogger with little to no output in the immediate or forseeable future in the 4th year of his deal, in light of him INSISTING on 5 years,
b) greed motivating the desire for a 5th year, and only producing 1 solid season since signing,
c) given he is one of the highest paid players at our club, this significantly dents our ability to offer money to talent that is capable of performing to the level required - less salary cap space.

Everyone involved in the Cloke deal had their eyes wide open, except me? Wow. Given that you state by 2016, Cloke probably himself thought he would be a shadow of his former self, why then did he reach for the contract to extend to the end of a 5th year, 2017? He was never going to Freo, he would not have liked being away from mummy and daddy, being on a plane every second week and the warmer year round weather. I am disappointed the club kept him. As good as he was in 2013, he's been average to poor since and earning close to $1 million a year? Good first year into a 5 year deal and then downhill. I would actually play for free if I was Cloke right now as it appears him and his manager/s took the money and ran. He is no lone ranger in lacking a sense of moral fibre and not giving a shit about the bigger picture. What this sorry young lad doesn't realise is that his Money won't make him happy and his family and him have tarnished their 'brand' as they look like a pack of hillbillies now.

Past performance is not an indicator of future performance and I can say that as I am a financial planner about any perceived asset. The greater the period of time you sign that contract for (from a Club's point of view) the greater the risk you undertake, and it is obvious the Club had a more reasoned view as to Cloke's future output than Cloke. So with the money he makes, he now has to prepare his fragile mind to withstand the barrage of supporter angst, media spotlight because this is what he chose. Yes, was a champion premiership player, but he has done a lovely job at tarnishing that image.

I would have taken a more conservative approach, as sacrificing a 5 year deal for a 4 year deal would have caused me less stress, I would not be seen as greedy, and if I was good enough, I would know that the club would want me to stay on after my 4th.

Cloke's protracted and greedy negotiation as led him to the mental hole he is in today and I don't have too much time for him, despite being a premiership player. I have no interest in player managers either, who are a little too interested in money than what it means to be human with integrity (ie Ricky Nixon and Liam Pickering).

Expect Cloke to play for free? Can you point out where I said that?

Being a financial planner, I have set people up for life who have retired at 30, earning $300K a year for the better part of 4 years during their work life. They have retired. It's not rocket science. It's spending less than you earn and investing the difference prudently.

Correct me if I am wrong, but Cloke lived with his parents for a long time, so it's not as though he was paying off a mortgage for a good portion of his career. When he finally bought a property with his 'extension of penis' Harley in his living room, he should easily have been able to pay for his property outright, without a loan required. What percentage of the Australian population would you say have that luxury at 26 or 27? I know the stats, do you?

4) Any legit narcissist will always tell you they are 100% right.

5) If you are offering to be my chauffeur, you need to apply formally to: gammond-slater-vicbar@rcpt.at

Last edited by Daniel on Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Daniel Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:31 am

RudeBoy wrote:
didick wrote:
Cam wrote:

Cloke is finished mate. He can no longer get off the ground, let alone crash the packs. All good things come to an end. Dermie was finished at this age too. Time to move on. This gives us an opportunity to bring back Witts to see if he can have a longer term future in our team.

Cloke is not suited to the way the game is being played today.

Great job at making an arse of himself by using the media to tell us of his sorry plight and how people inside the club have written him off (after being dropped to the VFL), and then gets a recall and does nothing.

Something is awry upstairs with him and his family.

If he can't perform at AFL or VFL, and it is a physical injury, why would you bust your arse to squeeze out another 20 to 30 games and risk permanent injury for the rest of your life? No logic here.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:05 am

Cloke stuff isn't the only reason I'm gobsmacked now!

Take it outside boys!

Whoever said (I'm seriously not going back through that whole saga to get the name) about Cloke being rewarded for being paid unders, and then being paid more for a while, raises a very good point. Although I think that saga cost us big time in 2012 as well. All this off the field shit since 2009 has been a debacle. Although it probably put a rocket under MM and got us 2010.

I don't doubt his loyalty, let's not forget he ended up staying for less than he could of earned. I don't know if his body is toast, I hope not, although with what we have left I can't see much hope of him having time to prove it with us now this year. A little like Josh Fraser. MMs refusal to get another ruck killed his body and his game. I still remember the times where Cloke would out mark three players, and then get so,e stupid infringement against him. He needed support then. He didn't get it. Efforts were made but they failed.

With what's happened now, I believe he was dropped for too long, and then to bring him back for one week, a wet week with so many talls in, and then the team reverts back to the absolute shit they dished up for the first 6-7 weeks, and then Drop him again! **** me what a message to send him! All top sports people have very fragile egos. And in this case, if he's really hurt and pissed off, I don't blame him, on performance he doesn't deserve it. He was far from our worst player. And with Moore out, how can he possibly be omitted? I'm expecting to get thrashed on Monday quite frankly, if we dish up more of this zoning crap, we need to man up. And so does the club in this situation. The wrong man has been dropped.

If this is it, as long as he doesn't go to Geelong, I'll wish him well. Cos I wouldn't blame him one bit for leaving. And we will be the poorer for it. What a message to the players! There's playing hard ball and then just plain arrogant.

Daniel Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:32 am

Cloke was brought in because we had run out of cattle.

He didn't perform (after media sooks), so rightly, back to the VFL.

I don't care where he goes, he's finished and will be of no use to any AFL side.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:37 am

We are still out of cattle. He wasn't our worst performer, in effort or effect, so that arguement is mute. We need him forward this week.

Not really sure what he has said in the media that deserves that.

daics aka the ruckman 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:17 am

I am a little confused. He was out of the seniors to work on his "hunger" for the game and body language. No talk then of his physical body not being able to perform.

Returned to the seniors when we had two forward line injuries and puts in a reasonable performance, certainly not the worst player on the day.
Omitted after one week and now his physical body is the issue ?

There must be more to this. Maybe the team performs badly because he is there. Has he annoyed his teammates ?

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:33 am

daics aka the ruckman wrote:
I am a little confused. He was out of the seniors to work on his "hunger" for the game and body language. No talk then of his physical body not being able to perform.

Returned to the seniors when we had two forward line injuries and puts in a reasonable performance, certainly not the worst player on the day.
Omitted after one week and now his physical body is the issue ?

There must be more to this. Maybe the team performs badly because he is there. Has he annoyed his teammates ?

Regardless of what the club says it looks to me as if he just isn't able to compete on the physical level that he used to. If that's true there's nothing that can be done. This reminds me to an extent of BT's last season.

Match that with the perception that the club wants Witts to play on Gawn and Grundy doesn't deserve to be dumped.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
Page 34 of 52   

Jump to: