Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

2017 Trade and Draft period now concluded. Good luck to all.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:18 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
Here are our current senior players, whom I think should be considered as tradeable:

Broomhead - has had too many chances and hasn't come on as hoped.

Aish - a reasonable player, but he doesn't add anything to our team.

Keeffe - not good enough to force his way in for even a single game this year.

Scharenberg - a fantastic young player, cruelled by injuries, making him too slow, lacking agility, depth of kicking and any physicality at all. A great shame.

Thomas - see Aish comments above.

Greenwood - with the emergence of Wills, De Goey and Maynard as on-ballers, he would most likely be mainly a VFL player next year.

Ramsay - difficult call as he showed great promise early last year but was disappointing in 2017.

and You get not much for any of them

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:04 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Here are our current senior players, whom I think should be considered as tradeable:

Scharenberg - a fantastic young player, cruelled by injuries, making him too slow, lacking agility, depth of kicking and any physicality at all. A great shame.

Greenwood - with the emergence of Wills, De Goey and Maynard as on-ballers, he would most likely be mainly a VFL player next year.

Ramsay - difficult call as he showed great promise early last year but was disappointing in 2017.

and You get not much for any of them

Tru dat. Crying or Very sad
Adam Treloar 3 Votes 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:05 pm

^ DTM

So remind me, if we wouldn't get much in return, what is the point in trading them?

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:23 pm

So if they have zero trade value, you keep them as depth or delist.
E 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:58 am

RudeBoy wrote:

I agree with a lot of that, except i disagree with respect to two of the players, one strongly and one mildly.

Scharenberg has missed two years of footy. Most pundits agree that it takes a year following a knee to return to your best. Is Menziel at Geelong a good example of that? How long then would it take to recover from two knees and a foot injury that robbed a player of three seasons.

If Scharenberg was a number 50 pick, we would have been super impressed with his output this season. He had games where he got upward of 25 possessions in a non-on ball role (pretty rare to see that). His disposal is elite even in his limited capacity and he reads the game incredibly well. Truth is he is a number 6 pick so his upside based on his play before the injury is enourmous. I would think the club should give this kid every chance to rehabilitate his natural skills. I think you will see massive improvement next year and then in 2019 i would expect we would see the peak of the player that he is capable of becoming. I would definitely stay with him for at leastr 2 more years. Downside is a serviceable third defender with elite disposal. Upside is that we have the elite half back in the competition.

Add to that the fact that NO team will pay the full price for this potential upside and its a no brainer that we keep him and allow him to appemmpt to reach his full potential with us. There has to be a spot on a 40 man list for a player with this tantilizing list.

Unless of course you know for a fact that he wont ever find those physical gifts he had before injuries cruelled him.

On Aish, i think he is a very talented ball player who find s a way to get the ball in traffic. If you acceopt that Adams cant play on the ball for 120 minutes, he looks like he could be the guy that takes the minutes Adams cant take. Of course he needs to get stronger. There were signs toward the end of the year that he is stronger than he was 2 years ago. He doesnt get brushed off the ball like he used to.

The idea of having DeGoey, Treloar and Pendles rotating through two of the midfield spots with Aish and Adams sharing the third spot has merit.

People keep crapping on that Wills has come on. I havent seen ANYTHING yet from him to suggest that he is ready to assume a midfield role. All we have so far is the fantasy of how great it would be to have his big body in the midfield. That isnt even potential at this point. Its pure fantasy and not the basis upon which a club relies on to discard others. Certainly keep working with Wills to see if fantasy becomes potential and then if potential can become consistent performance (there are spots on a 40 man list for this type of player).

I agree the others are expendable, but since there is virtually no market for any of them (except maybe as steak knives in any deal with the Suns or the bears), i would say that we shouldnt spend too much time trying to trade them and instead try to develop them into handy back up players who can come in for 10 games during the season when needed due to injury or form. A list needs about 8 players that fits this description so that you don't have a MASSIVE drop off when a regular player is hurt.

These are my thoughts.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:29 am

I don't know why you aren't more confident about Wills' emergence. He had 7 kicks and 8 handballs in the seniors in 2017 and already has a total of over 100 career disposals across his two seasons. Wink
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:10 am

SonofRowdy wrote:
Hey qldmagpie67, any word on which of our midfielders is being quietly offered up to a few Melbourne based clubs ?

Rowdy my sources tell me that one of our players had his management approach the club and request a review of his salary going forward due to the fact the AFLPA negotiated a higher salary cap than what was anticapted when the player signed his new deal. The player is currently contracted and the club stuck firm to the contract signed by the player refusing to increase it (this may be due to several factors be it cap space or the clubs belief the player was already earning what they believe his value is)
The club has since made discrete enquiries around a few Melbourne clubs seeing if there is any interest in the player.
Haven't been able to confirm the players name still or whether there is a genuine chance the names that have been mentioned to me have made a request to be traded or are open to the possibility of a trade.
Could be a big story or a storm in a tea cup depending on the if the player/s rumoured are right.
I'll keep making enquiries and if I can confirm a name or names to my satisfaction they are correct I'll happily post them
Right now all I can confirm is a player who's contracted wanted some more money which isn't a big story I'm sure that happens quite often in today's football world
Boogie Knights 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:22 am

qldmagpie67 wrote:

Rowdy my sources tell me that one of our players had his management approach the club and request a review of his salary going forward due to the fact the AFLPA negotiated a higher salary cap than what was anticapted when the player signed his new deal. The player is currently contracted and the club stuck firm to the contract signed by the player refusing to increase it (this may be due to several factors be it cap space or the clubs belief the player was already earning what they believe his value is)

The player should find new management then. It has been known for years that the cap would be increasing significantly with the new tv rights deal, and from what I understand, most players who signed deals within this time had (or should have had) their contracts structured to allow for this with a condition in the contract that the salary increase proportionally with cap increases.

Those that didn't get this, will be worth far more to the club/s now than previously.
SonofRowdy 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:58 am

Cheers qldmagpie67... luv ya work.. Wink
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:13 am

Quote:
Josh Schache – hearing Collingwood but can’t confirm that just yet.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/trade-and-free-agency-talk-2017.1149975/page-649#post-52716240

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:13 pm

Boogie Nights I think this might have been a case of our revolving door football managers that's caused the problem.
I'm only guessing but it would seem player X signed a contract with the club at some stage late 2015 or early 2016. I'm not aware of the player testing his value on the market but he may have done so quietly.
His manager would have met with our footy manager and worked out a deal. The club as usual would try to get players to sign for the least they can for obvious reasons.
Now the player or his manager may have been of the opinion that the club didn't have any cap space left going forward even with ththe increase so the player may have accepted the offer in good faith
Then end of last season we throw money and Wells and Mayne and now the player or his management may have been a bit put off thinking there was no extra money left on the cap only to see 2 players landed on quite lucrative deals.
I'm not sure of the nuts and bolts of what's happened other (can on,yntake a educated guess) than one of our players isn't happy with his current deal
surfer1 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:38 pm

qldmagpie67, I will take a punt in following order.

DeGoey, Greenwood, Broomhead.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:45 pm

surfer1 wrote:

De Goey will soon get very good coin. Cool
K 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:52 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
surfer1 wrote:

But Rudey, aren't you sure they need to save enough coin for Sinkers? Wink

[To pay for his medical expenses, perhaps...]
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:26 pm

K wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
surfer1 wrote:

But Rudey, aren't you sure they need to save enough coin for Sinkers? Wink

[To pay for his medical expenses, perhaps...]

Shocked Shocked Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Page 36 of 90   

Jump to: