Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Nathan Buckley Debate - Back Bucks or Sack Bucks?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 108, 109, 110  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Nathan Buckley: what should the club do with him?
Sack him now and pay him out
18%
 18%  [ 28 ]
Sack him at season's end and pay him out
14%
 14%  [ 22 ]
Wait and see until season's end, then review (inclined to sack)
14%
 14%  [ 22 ]
Wait and see until season's end, then review (inclined to keep)
17%
 17%  [ 26 ]
Keep him until mid-season 2017, then reassess
5%
 5%  [ 9 ]
Keep him until end of 2017, then reassess
17%
 17%  [ 27 ]
Back him for as long as it takes! All We Can Be with NCB!
9%
 9%  [ 15 ]
Other (please outline in the thread)
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 151

Krakouer Magic 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:23 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Sugar wrote:
Krakouer Magic wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Krakouer Magic wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Redlight wrote:
Krakouer Magic wrote:
Hang on a second, I thought it was all about injuries and drug scandals and Derek Hines recruiting Yadda Yadda Yadda???? And it had nothing to do with gameplan or structures as it was just players giving more effort???

Are you telling me it took the coach from November 2015 (right through pre season) and the first 7 to 10 rounds for the penny to drop that his gameplan and his structures were woeful? I don't know about you but I'd much rather a coach that can get it right for more than half a season. Remember, the last two years fade outs in second half of the year. For three years he's been incapable of producing results for the majority of the 22 game season.

This argument doesn't hold water for me for a couple of reasons. The first is the conceit that you, a random internet poster, can discern problems and fixes for the 'gameplan and structures' far more readily than the entire coaching staff at a professional AFL club.

The second problem is the idea that a team drilled in one gameplan and set of structures over (at the very least) an entire pre-season can adopt an entirely new gameplan and set of structures in the space of one week.

It seems far more likely that the return of key players, and the relative settling of the side over recent weeks, has combined to help the team implement the plans that have already been drummed into them.

Exactly, the very idea that it's the same gameplan better implemented due to the return of injured players and return to form of a few senior players just doesn't accord with his views so just denies what is the more obvious explanation.

It's not the same gameplan. Go check the tape. The structures and set ups are drastically different. Do not take my word for it though. Go check the tape and compare our set ups from rounds 1-7 and to now. We actually man up at stoppages. It's amazing. Who knew such simple things could make a difference. The question you need to ask yourself is why the hell weren't we using the same style from round 1, and why wasn't it drilled into the playing group over the preseason? They came into the year with a terrible gameplan. Pure and simple. The coaches got it wrong, and certain wins vs blues, demons and saints became losses

Same game plan, better implementation... not sure what's so hard to grasp.

Different gameplan, different structural set ups. Why's it so hard to grasp. Spend a few hours and the tape.

Yep, we still zone but we don't press up as much, and the press up was the problem, it could work with manic forward and midfield pressure, but, we can't sustain it.

Yep, and the 5 on 9 at stoppages inside fwd 50 with players lined up out the back zoning off in no mans land is no where to be seen. It's man on man at every stoppage... But that's not a gameplan change just implementing the master plan better haha
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:28 am

Gee, apparently injuries are a factor... go figure...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-14/winners-and-losers-on-the-2016-injury-ladder
themonk 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:41 am

jackcass wrote:
Gee, apparently injuries are a factor... go figure...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-14/winners-and-losers-on-the-2016-injury-ladder

no!!! I don't believe it
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:46 pm

Krakouer Magic wrote:
The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
i hate carlton wrote:
Ho hum, here we go again.

Bucks will win us multiple flags. He is rebuilding the team in his image. It will be historic.

Biased on present evidence - highly unlikely.

Pies rank 18th in clearances. GWS 1st in clearances. We won the clearances 42-33. Yet lost clearances to Carlton (16th in clearances) the week before 33-29. How often does that happen? 18th beating 1st? Yep GWS weren't showing any signs of being fatigued from a higher training load.

Looking forward to a similar smashing of Adelaide in clearances this week

It's called the Grundy effect. Wink
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:23 pm

Yes we have changed or adjusted our zone as we aren't pressing as high or hard as we did previously. Another factor I think has been over looked is how much more solid our defence has looked since Reid & Howe have struck up a partnership.
Early in the season when we couldn't keep the same back 6 2 weeks in a row we were being caught out with over the top soft goals from pressing to high to hard. Now you see Reid may press up high and hard with a Marsh but Howe will remain deeper with Brown to counter act any quick movement.
Also our vast improvement at the stoppages has taken away the quick ball movement from the opposition. Again Grundy has been a catalyst for this but don't under estimate the move of the skipper into the midfield as well giving out instruction.
Also our forward pressure has picked up the past few weeks this makes transition harder and gives the mids time to adjust and get back in support.
Also the inclusion of Cloke and White can't be ignored. They have both been pushing hard up th wing giving our backs a tall option to kick to leaving the ruck man to play in the corridor. If you give Reid or Howe a good target more often than not there going to hit it.
Injury has affected much of our season but it's not the only reason we find ourselves likely missing the 8
No one would have planned for so many injuries especially to key personal and the type of injury keeping them out for extended or season ending lengths.
Would Elliott Swan Ramsay all be starting 18 players ?
Would Scharenberg be in or around the best 22 ?
Missing Varcoe for a couple weeks at a time
twice in the season hurt ?
Having Pendles play busted for the first 6-8 weeks hurt us ?
Having Brown and Cloke devoid of confidence and form for extended periods hurt us ?
We relied to heavily on inexperience youngsters who got found out when under the pump.
Smith Maynard Crisp DeGoey Moore Cox Phillips Crocker will all be better players next year again for the experience this year.
Yes it's painful and yes it's frustrating but at the end of the day is what it is.
You can blame the coach for part of the failure sure and I've said it a few times I'm still not convinced he's the right guy for the job but if efforts like last week become our weekly standard then he has obviously got things heading in the right direction
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:27 pm

There is always someone to blame.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:14 pm

Krakouer Magic wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Krakouer Magic wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Redlight wrote:
Krakouer Magic wrote:
Hang on a second, I thought it was all about injuries and drug scandals and Derek Hines recruiting Yadda Yadda Yadda???? And it had nothing to do with gameplan or structures as it was just players giving more effort???

Are you telling me it took the coach from November 2015 (right through pre season) and the first 7 to 10 rounds for the penny to drop that his gameplan and his structures were woeful? I don't know about you but I'd much rather a coach that can get it right for more than half a season. Remember, the last two years fade outs in second half of the year. For three years he's been incapable of producing results for the majority of the 22 game season.

This argument doesn't hold water for me for a couple of reasons. The first is the conceit that you, a random internet poster, can discern problems and fixes for the 'gameplan and structures' far more readily than the entire coaching staff at a professional AFL club.

The second problem is the idea that a team drilled in one gameplan and set of structures over (at the very least) an entire pre-season can adopt an entirely new gameplan and set of structures in the space of one week.

It seems far more likely that the return of key players, and the relative settling of the side over recent weeks, has combined to help the team implement the plans that have already been drummed into them.

Exactly, the very idea that it's the same gameplan better implemented due to the return of injured players and return to form of a few senior players just doesn't accord with his views so just denies what is the more obvious explanation.

It's not the same gameplan. Go check the tape. The structures and set ups are drastically different. Do not take my word for it though. Go check the tape and compare our set ups from rounds 1-7 and to now. We actually man up at stoppages. It's amazing. Who knew such simple things could make a difference. The question you need to ask yourself is why the hell weren't we using the same style from round 1, and why wasn't it drilled into the playing group over the preseason? They came into the year with a terrible gameplan. Pure and simple. The coaches got it wrong, and certain wins vs blues, demons and saints became losses

Same game plan, better implementation... not sure what's so hard to grasp.

Same game plan, more key players available, a fast developing ruckman, more consistency, better implementation.....it ain't rocket science. Rolling Eyes

Changes to gameplan, different structures around stoppages, more emphasis on defensive accountability, more man on man and as Bucks said on 360 after the Lions win "coaches giving 10% more direction to young players on the training track"... It ain't rocket science. Our coaches let our playing group down in preparing them for the 2016 season

Let's just accept your argument that the coach underprepared the team at the start of the season and dismiss the argument that others here have stated, that injuries largely are responsible for the poor performance up until a month ago. Then Buckley needs to be grouped with Damien Hardwick and Ross Lyon whose teams similarly started off the season poorly. Hardwick and Lyon are two experienced AFL coaches who have coached their teams into several finals series, in Lyon's case, four grand finals. If all three AFL coaches failed their group of players in failing to adopt their game plan to prepare against other teams in 2016, why is it that out of this three, only Buckley has been able to move his group forward in the last month, whereas the other two more experienced coaches are continuing to lose games of AFL footy. If you acknowledge that Buckley has learned from his mistakes in the last month and advanced the game plan forward to a winning strategy, you need to acknowledge that Buckley is out coaching Ross Lyon and Damien Hardwick who have so far failed to improve their teams' performances.
courtza 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:03 pm

Krakouer Magic wrote:
courtza wrote:
Krakouer Magic wrote:
5 from the wing on debut wrote:
Krakouer Magic wrote:
The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
THE Bucks haters can now spend the rest of the week wiping all the scrambled eggs off their sorry mooshes. ! LOL Krak magic, hope you have a massive sponge too remove all the egg off your face, in particular.

Finally, a week all the Bucks doubters can now STFU. thank the Lord.!

A whole week... (golf clap).

Haha am I allowed to mention the concrete boots GWS were running around in after 1/4 time... They couldn't possibly be in a high training load preparing for finals could they?? I wouldn't dare want to take away from the great win that it was, and I hate to be the negative nelly, but if you were gonna do a hard training phase prior to finals it would be while you've got bye, pies, lions and power... Just saying

You don't want to take away from the win but immediately you do it anyway ? And, you are glad that the team are finally winning but if they had taken your advice earlier they would have started winning earlier.I really enjoy reading your comments because you are probably the funniest poster on this board. What makes it even funnier is that you do not even realise it.

Why thank you. I do try my best. I'll try my best to be as funny as our gameplan and structure from rounds 1 to 7 haha

How much time do you spend analyzing each game Krak?

Is it just you or do you have a team of blokes to help with your assessments?

Well I usually watch 4 to 6 games a weekend. Always watch the pies. Try to catch as many of the top 8 sides each week as possible. If I see something strange or odd or different in a set up, stoppage or kick in I'll remember it. Go back on Monday and Tuesday night and review it on tape. Pause it to see what's happening across the ground, where the players are instructed to stand etc. Then I'll watch a few qtrs of top 8 sides see how they structure up at kick ins and stoppages and whether they do it different to us.

Thats why I look at top sides especially swans and Hawks. No matter who's injured or who isn't on the park the players that turn up on game day, the structure is consistent. A player doesn't need talent to know where to stand. He just needs the right coach to drill it into him

Jesus!!!, ok fair enough.

Dont people at footy clubs get paid to do that, maybe you should put in a job app.

I'd have to say I really only watch the Pies game in depth each week and peruse 3 or 4 of the other games without taking to much interest.

One thing about watching collingwood week in week out, it really stands out when they get their structures right and when they go to total shit.

I won't write Bucks off yet as I remember having the same issues with Mick leading up to our dominant period, I'm hopeful its more the players maturing into their roles, cause when we get it right it looks pretty damn good.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:02 am

We lost so sack him. Confused
E 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:46 am

Krakouer Magic wrote:
SuperSwede wrote:
Krakouer Magic wrote:
Redlight wrote:
Krakouer Magic wrote:
Redlight wrote:
Krakouer Magic wrote:

I know it's amazing that any lay person with half a brain could review the tape after each game and look at structures and game style and analyse the basic errors our coaching staff were making.

What was some of the solutions? Go man on man more. Go back to more of a 2010 style I said. Stop handpassing so much. Become defensively accountable at stoppages. Get more numbers at the stoppage, especially inside fwd 50.

I could see it clear as day. Took Natho and his merry men (and a fair kick up the Jacksie from Eddie) 7 rounds to start implementing the things I said. The game plan and structure from round 1-7 is chalk and cheese. Go back look at the tape. It's unfathomable how off the boil our gameplan was in comparison to the rest of the competition.

You clearly, honestly, believe that you have more insight into how to run a football side than the combined coaching staff of the Collingwood football club.

I remain unconvinced.

To me your reasoning seems to work like this; when we lose it's because Buckley is incompetent, when we win it's because Buckley has been copying from your homework.

It's not about wins and losses per se. If we play well, the structures are good, and we lose then I'll admit the other side was just better on the day. Good effort all around. Like the Bulldogs game. Clearly bucks coached well that game.

Many times in the Malthouse era I'd praise the game plan and effort after a loss.

But what was dishes up in the first 7 rounds was an abomination. The structure and game plan was a mess. Players were confused. FFS after round 3 the coach publicly said "the defensive structures have collapsed". It should never have got that low before the head coach reigned it in. It's not acceptable.

We beat Melb once and stk with the gameplan we have now, which closely resembles much of my suggestions and rectifies many of the failings of the rounds 1-7 gameplan and we are 9-7 and in the Top 8 tonight. We beat Carlton twice and we are 10-6 and in the top 4 hunt.

The first 1/3 of the season was a disgrace and has cost us a finals berth. And it was the coaches game plan in that period that was the key reason for our failings vs stk, Melb and Carlton.

Seeing that you joined in April 2011 I guess you would not have had all that many opportunities to express your praise of the Malthouse game plan after a loss - at least in this forum. So I guesss the rest of us will just have to take your word for it - that you actually expressed this sentiment. Or are you perhaps referring to Malthouse's sojourn at the Filth. For some reason I'm less than impressed.

Well, I can't help the date I joined. But I must say I never saw a gameplan so inept for so long under Malthouse as the one from round 1 to 7. People might bring up 04/05 as an example I suppose. But I think there are vast differences in that comparison.

the around the boundary gameplan was long derided. as recently as early 2010, many couldnt see why we were using the gameplan we were using. It hadn't clicked. then one magical September it clicked for us and we took it to a level.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:10 am

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Yes we have changed or adjusted our zone as we aren't pressing as high or hard as we did previously. Another factor I think has been over looked is how much more solid our defence has looked since Reid & Howe have struck up a partnership.
Early in the season when we couldn't keep the same back 6 2 weeks in a row we were being caught out with over the top soft goals from pressing to high to hard. Now you see Reid may press up high and hard with a Marsh but Howe will remain deeper with Brown to counter act any quick movement.
Also our vast improvement at the stoppages has taken away the quick ball movement from the opposition. Again Grundy has been a catalyst for this but don't under estimate the move of the skipper into the midfield as well giving out instruction.
Also our forward pressure has picked up the past few weeks this makes transition harder and gives the mids time to adjust and get back in support.
Also the inclusion of Cloke and White can't be ignored. They have both been pushing hard up th wing giving our backs a tall option to kick to leaving the ruck man to play in the corridor. If you give Reid or Howe a good target more often than not there going to hit it.
Injury has affected much of our season but it's not the only reason we find ourselves likely missing the 8
No one would have planned for so many injuries especially to key personal and the type of injury keeping them out for extended or season ending lengths.
Having Brown and Cloke devoid of confidence and form for extended periods hurt us ?
We relied to heavily on inexperience youngsters who got found out when under the pump.
Smith Maynard Crisp DeGoey Moore Cox Phillips Crocker will all be better players next year again for the experience this year.
Yes it's painful and yes it's frustrating but at the end of the day is what it is.
You can blame the coach for part of the failure sure and I've said it a few times I'm still not convinced he's the right guy for the job but if efforts like last week become our weekly standard then he has obviously got things heading in the right direction

As I keep saying QM67, same game plan, better implemented yet some posters can't get over the overly negative interpretations they bring to every discussion.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:40 pm

jackcass wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:

As I keep saying QM67, same game plan, better implemented yet some posters can't get over the overly negative interpretations they bring to every discussion.

Jack the thing I've noticed the most the past 4-6 weeks is the adjustment to how we position ourselves in the zone.
Early in the season we zoned to space even if the opposition didn't have players there which is just plain ludicrous. We adjusted that slightly and started to zone to the area the ball was moving through but this then left us open for switches inboard opening us up. Quite often we would see our players (2 & 3 some times) within a couple meters of the boundary line with no one guarding the corridor.
Now we seem to only send 1 player towards the action with the high press with a second player falling in behind them stopping the longer kick opening us up. The other defenders then stay deeper closer on there man so if a switch happens we can move up to it to slow it down.
Also our pillars Brown Reid Howe seem to have become more cohesive with each other. This has allowed Howe to peel off his man and help out and Reid to intercept more often. Reid intercepts have become more frequent (he's around 4 per game inside 50 which ranks 3rd in the comp) and Howe has far exceeded my and I'm guessing many other people's expectations as a defender he reads it really well.
No coincidence they are all 100+ game players and that experience counts.
On the weekend that was only the 3rd time this season Adelaide have been kept below 100 points other times by North in round one and then Geelong when they seemed unbeatable so our defence actually held up well it was out disposal going forward that let us down.
I love Marsh back he just seems so suited to the role and can play on different types due to his size and speed. We still lack that really gifted ball playing rebounding type but at least we're not getting thrashed and that's a improvement.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:43 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Jack the thing I've noticed the most the past 4-6 weeks is the adjustment to how we position ourselves in the zone.
Early in the season we zoned to space even if the opposition didn't have players there which is just plain ludicrous.
We adjusted that slightly and started to zone to the area the ball was moving through but this then left us open for switches inboard opening us up. Quite often we would see our players (2 & 3 some times) within a couple meters of the boundary line with no one guarding the corridor.
Now we seem to only send 1 player towards the action with the high press with a second player falling in behind them stopping the longer kick opening us up. The other defenders then stay deeper closer on there man so if a switch happens we can move up to it to slow it down.
Also our pillars Brown Reid Howe seem to have become more cohesive with each other. This has allowed Howe to peel off his man and help out and Reid to intercept more often. Reid intercepts have become more frequent (he's around 4 per game inside 50 which ranks 3rd in the comp) and Howe has far exceeded my and I'm guessing many other people's expectations as a defender he reads it really well.
On the weekend that was only the 3rd time this season Adelaide have been kept below 100 points other times by North in round one and then Geelong when they seemed unbeatable so our defence actually held up well it was out disposal going forward that let us down.
I love Marsh back he just seems so suited to the role and can play on different types due to his size and speed. We still lack that really gifted ball playing rebounding type but at least we're not getting thrashed and that's a improvement.

Exactly, even worse, the outriders were continually getting sucked into the contest so that when the ball eventually came clear it was all opposition jumpers waiting for it. It is what it is when you've got a really young squad and lack stability within the senior team. Of course we could always pretend we're some sort of guru's and argue habitually that that was what Bucks was telling the players to do, and that we know better...
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:18 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
jackcass wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:

Early in the season we zoned to space even if the opposition didn't have players there which is just plain ludicrous. We adjusted that slightly and started to zone to the area the ball was moving through but this then left us open for switches inboard opening us up. Quite often we would see our players (2 & 3 some times) within a couple meters of the boundary line with no one guarding the corridor.

All very valid observations Q67

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:40 pm

Just following up on the comments made by the commentators on Saturday night that we've had 5 players who have played every game this year, Adelaide 12. Well we're not the worst.

Pies - 5
Dees - 5
Blues - 4
Bumbers - 4
Tigers - 4
Bears - 3

The issue for us was the profile of our squad. We started the year with 19 players with 50 or better senior games and of those only 13 have played 10 games or better due to injury or form.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 108, 109, 110  Next
Page 40 of 110   

Jump to: