Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match v Brissy

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swooper 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:28 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Major disappointment. I was really looking forward to this game, I was anticipating a real contest. We were killed in the first quarter, and unfortunately that was all it needed. Everyone went right for Brisbane, bloody kicking goals from all over the place. I dont think ANYONE could have stopped them in that first quarter, they were just too hot. I agree with Marg (I think!) who said they were due for a big game. I was nervous all week about it too, I never thought Brisbane were gone at all.
I was kinda glad MM left Clokey on Brown all day, a good lesson I think. And he did keep him goal-less for 3 Q's - he was underdone no doubt, but he wont forget that game in a hurry and hopefully it will spur him on.
Like others here, I refuse to single out individual players here - its team game. But boy o boy, everything that could go wrong for us did (I knew it was bad when tazza went off in the opening few mins).
If we had only kicked better and gained some momentum, we would've given them a shake (with the crowd behind them - boy did it get loud in the second quarter!) As MM said yesterday, it is not the last game of the season, this game does not seal our fate.
Anyway we MUST MUST MUST win on Friday. That is all there is to it.
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:40 pm

Burns will get more in the Copeland. Buckley more in the Brownlow.

Last year Buckley finished higher than Burns in the Brownlow yet 11th in our b&f

jlc

BigVman 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 9:48 am

Look guys, this was NOT the GF, or even a final. It hurts, and it may costs us a top2 or top4 spot. We don't know yet. But the Bears played out of their arses in that first qtr. Every ctr clearance , all those little pricks running fwd of the ball. kicking out of their rings from the boundry. It was a dream for them. I doubt they'll play that well again EVER. They're a GREAT side, they;'ve got 2 flags, their team is on the wane though, whilst we're a team on the rise.
For us very little went right, the ball wouldn't go thru the sticks. Sometimes it's like that. I WANT to play these pricks in the GF and shut them down and stick it right up them.

My fantasy - another goaless first term for the pricks. touggh in and under game, no easy possies. We trail by 5 pts deep into last qtr. Ball fwd to bears square. Mark to Lynch - wait free kick for holding Wakes. Lynch cracks ths shits and it's a 50. Wait - Taz gets a free for holding at the true CHF possie as he tries to break for a lead. Siren goes - he puts it thru.
Bears cry conspiracy and demand draft concessions!
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:02 am

Look, I think we can build on this week's loss. We need to know our weaknesses so that we can improve on them. The guys must come out on Friday night with a steely determination to prove the AFL world that we will not go down without a fight.
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:06 am

The problem is losses like this will mean a low finish in the 8 and Premierships are not won from there. We are now only 1 game ahead of Essendon for crying out loud.

This is the week we will see what the 2003 Collingwood team is made of. Adelaide are a match hardened and physical team and will be ready for battle. Forget this travelling from Perth crap as it won't effect the Crows.

They will be ready to go, the question is will we ??

jlc

stik35 Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:31 am

I like your fantasy BigVman.

Mine is for Port to win all their remaining H&A games and go out of the finals in straight sets.

Add those two together and you couldn't wish for anything more - except Essendon to lose all their remaining games and miss out on the 8! HaHa!

JAMESMANSON 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:56 am
Post subject: The two hardest things in lifeReply with quote

I posted this under the topic "The two hardest things in life" but its appropriate here as well......

Ive been sitting at work today stewing, somthing Ive done since the siren rang on Saturday. Im stewing because Saturdays performance was below par and against a quality side and we ALL know it. But I will not quit now, I wont act like a Richmond supporter and turn on the coach, I wont act like those other talentless shmuck Carlton and Melbourne supporters and turn on the players-they are seven weeks away from this clubs greatest moment in the last 13 years!!

As the great man said the two hardest things in life are getting started (and by god we've done that) and NEVER NEVER quitting-so to every other Victorian club supporter who today has been seeking out their Collingwood counterparts to heap scorn well you only wish you could be a member of the GREAT magpie army because when you are in the army you "never walk alone" and we wont be rolling over for ANYONE...Brisbane included! To those interstate clubs what you saw on Saturday was the worst performance you are going to see this year so beware....we are coming...backed by the 100% support of the ARMY.

Lets look at the facts. Tarrant will never again take as few marks. Bradshaw is a poor match up for Tazza when the ball comes in effciently. To this end restricting Keatings dominance is step one- after the first quarter we did this effectively in the centre and wont again get caught out by Brisbane's insistance of throwing two up in the ruck contests around the ground-in fact this is there achilies heal is-if they throw two up we will run the loose man off the back of the pack on the offensive side or run a second ruckman as well. Secondly we wont fall into the trap of letting Hart drop off the packs at stoppages (which by the way is only succesful if Brisbane win the clearances). We will man up and be more aware. In the centre we were slow on Saturday to adjust to a dominant ruckman who was hitting the ball forward as opposed to the palming ruckman we have had over the last few weeks. This was especially evident with the Brisbane wingman and half-forwards slipping quickly into the square-we are too smart to be caught out again and will be better drilled next time. Add to this that EVERY player can look in the mirror and say to himself that HE individually can play better next time AND WILL. Brisbane played as well as they can Saturday and still failed to put us away. We are only as wounded as we believe we are and as Sun Zsu says BEWARE THE WOUNDED OPPONENT-it is when they are most dangerous.

Add to this a fit Cloke who tries his guts out and must be already licking his lips for another shot at Brown, A fitter Licca, Taz covering the ground better, Magic Leon to come back, Josh having learnt a lesson against Keating and proving yet again that he is NEVER beaten twice-he is not a No.1 draft pick for nothing and Presti and Wakes teaming up to dominate Lynch who is coming to the end of a long and difficult season and finals campaign where he may need to play four tough finals (some away from home) and we can take this mob!!

Finally the comments and attitude of the Brisbane players after the game seemed to suggest that they fancy themselves against us-especially mentally and physically. Well- they have won all bar one of the last X number of games. It seems as though they dont respect the mental toughness or agression at the ball of the Pies. Well there are not many things in life that one can control but by goodness we can control that and I fully expect that we are not going to be stood over, we arent going to back down, we are going to look at each and every player in the Brisbane side and ask ourselves can we each beat our man on the day and are we going to do everything on the day to achieve our ends and I come to the same answer each time- OF COURSE WE ARE!!!!!!!!!

So here goes- Step one is to steel ourselves and smash Adelaide this week and send a warning to the other teams that we aren't dead by a long way. We must dominate from the opening bounce, be first to the loose ball, harras, hassle, pressure, punch from behind and above all maintain our enthusiasm and discipline and once that Trojan horse is inside their structure crush them. Then once that is done set a high standard at training each and everytime we are on the track-our focus must be single minded until the siren rings on Grand Final day. Likewise our support must not waver for a second-We have come so far already but our destiny is fast approaching. Lets make sure we are the best prepared as it arrives.

TO THE PLAYERS I SAY-GO PIES..THE ARMY IS 100% BEHIND YOU AND YOU CAN ACHIEVE GREAT THINGS. JUST THINK WHAT IT WOULD BE LIKE WHEN THAT SIREN GOES ON GRAND FINAL DAY....Saturdays game will be just a memory and will have had no impact on your ultimate goal....

REMEMBER: THE TWO HARDEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE GETTING STARTED AND NEVER NEVER NEVER QUITTING. WE DONT QUIT!
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:03 am

I think Cloke would be licking his wounds and not his lips after Saturdays disaster.

jlc

swooper 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:30 am

I think thats a great post James Manson.
pepstar 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:40 am

FOR WHAT ITS WORTH HERE IS MY OPINION.(U can't blame clokey. there r 22 blokes playing)

We were shell socked I would say..

We know we can match those bastards, as we did in most of the game but we seem to fall asleep in one quarter and our kicking for goal in the 3rd and 4th quarter really put us out of the game.

As Malthouse said on Sunday mng, it was uncharitiristic for our boys not to arrest another teams run on like that in the first quarter.
Besides the fact that they couldn't miss in that first qtr (ala Essendon in the Anzac day game)

This week should be a win if we r to have fair dinkum crack in the finals.

I suppose after a run of so many relatively easy and big wins, this loss could work in our favour.

Malthouse also said that it is getting harder for all teams to win more than 5-6 games in row (and will be getting harder) the way footy is heading.

I agree, it was disappointing to lose like that. They stopped our biggest asset and at our own game of running through the lines and winning the ball at clearances.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:04 pm

Cloke kept Brown goaless after qtr time. I would say that he did a reasonable job after coming back from injury.
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:24 pm

Problem was the game was effectively over as a contest by that stage....lol The horse had well and truly bolted.

jlc

DaicosMagic Scorpio

1970 Grand Final Boundary Umpire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:47 pm

Would that be the Trojan Horse?
pepstar 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:20 pm

any way guys its tuesday afternoon. the weekend is well and truly over and so is that match.

It is only 3 more sleeps till we see the pies make amends for it....
PeterWH Scorpio

www.peakhillfm.com.au

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:21 pm

Even though the game was over by 1/4 time last weekend....I saw two games on Saturday.....one was Bris & Umpire V PIES and the firsat won on the day and then Dorks 7 Umpire V Swans and again the first won on the day.
It seems that the umpires still havent got this 'holding the ball' law right yet.
Lets hope that by Friday night they have got it righht.
The umpiring was so one sided during the first 30 mins of the game,no wonder the PIES didnt get a kick.....by the way will some one give that 'GOOSE Akermanis a big swift boot.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6   

Jump to: