Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Your a complete Dickhead Nelson!!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:26 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

That remark was either too complex or too simple for me. We were talking about evil.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:44 pm

You missed your train, tin boy.
member34258 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:16 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Obvious to someone who's looking for it to be there.

Yep, that damn White Australia Policy was all just a figment of my over active imagination.
And the dismantling of it in 1973 (what happened in 1973 I wonder?) was also a figment of my imagination.

Lucky I don't have a Playstation so I can have an imagination!
nomadjack 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:53 am

Let's not guild the lily member. That same White Australia policy was strongly supported by Labor from federation onwards, including well into the post ww2 period. It was also the Libs under Holt that really began overturning the policy. Whitlam formalised the end of it in 1972.

I wouldn't call the Libs under Howard a fundamentally racist party. In many ways though they've been worse than racists, because they've been willing to play on people's racism and xenophobia for political purposes every step of the way by playing dog whistle politics. At least racists believe in something, not just trying to profit politically from it.
bwphantom Virgo

It's Better to Burn Out Than to Fade Away

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:32 pm

nomadjack wrote:
Let's not guild the lily member. That same White Australia policy was strongly supported by Labor from federation onwards, including well into the post ww2 period. It was also the Libs under Holt that really began overturning the policy. Whitlam formalised the end of it in 1972.

I wouldn't call the Libs under Howard a fundamentally racist party. In many ways though they've been worse than racists, because they've been willing to play on people's racism and xenophobia for political purposes every step of the way by playing dog whistle politics. At least racists believe in something, not just trying to profit politically from it.

I believe that most conservatives play on the compensation and how it will effect the economy. The outstanding fact is the ignorance even after the report was given. And i do believe you and i have had words about politicians before as i find them arrogant and out of touch with humanity. If it is not on their agenda they all act like a bunch of children. Sitting reading a newspaper or not even attending down to politicians turning backs is just downright childish behaviour...GROW UP!!!!

Jock McHale
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:35 pm

That sounds like interesting material. . What is your chair like?
member34258 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:34 pm

nomadjack wrote:

Pacific solution anybody?
Another inherently racist policy.
Howard rode Tampa and his refusal to let the refugees step foot on Australian soil to an election victory.
All but one of those refugees was granted asylum in Australia eventually.
NP bought up the compensation and it's affects on the economy. I would argue that the 100's of millions spent on the so called Pacific solution was a much worse waste of our money.
Zakal 

One Game, One Club, One Jumper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:06 pm

member34258 wrote:
nomadjack wrote:

Pacific solution anybody?
Another inherently racist policy.
Howard rode Tampa and his refusal to let the refugees step foot on Australian soil to an election victory.
All but one of those refugees was granted asylum in Australia eventually.
NP bought up the compensation and it's affects on the economy. I would argue that the 100's of millions spent on the so called Pacific solution was a much worse waste of our money.

Racist policy or not, didnt someone post a link to an article stating that the pacific solution is to continue under Rudd, with a further detention centre to still be built?
member34258 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:32 pm

What?
After he just negotiated the withdrawal from Nauru?
You may be referring to Xmas island.
Zakal 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:02 pm

member34258 wrote:
What?
After he just negotiated the withdrawal from Nauru?
You may be referring to Xmas island.

Haha yeah sorry, i just thought the "pacific solution" was a term given to our use of detention centers for intercepted 'illegal' immigrants on
'border' islands.

I know xmas island isnt in the 'pacific' per se...but other than that, whats the difference?
member34258 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:50 am

Xmas island is a territory of Australia and as such is not much different to Villawood detention centre. Apart from the lack of access to the legal people, which is why any government prefers it as a gateway to OZ.
In any case, refugees are on Australian soil, not a pile of birdshit, such as Nauru.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:35 am

member34258 wrote:
In any case, refugees are on Australian soil, not a pile of birdshit, such as Nauru.

I'm sure the Nauruans would be very upset about you insulting their lunar landscape like that Wink

Zakal 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:04 am

member34258 wrote:
Xmas island is a territory of Australia and as such is not much different to Villawood detention centre. Apart from the lack of access to the legal people, which is why any government prefers it as a gateway to OZ.

True, but i think its still outside the 'migration zone' meaning immigrants cannot claim refugee status there. On my, albeit somewhat limited, understanding of the matter...this was what you were getting at when you said it was a racist policy, or rather the actual use of detention centres for immigrants.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:41 pm

The only person who should apologize is the Queen.

As for me, I'm buying shares in Tabcorp waiting for the influx Wink

Zakal 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:45 pm

Skids wrote:
The only person who should apologize is the Queen.

As for me, I'm buying shares in Tabcorp waiting for the influx Wink

....because the Corgies are really a kind of furry gestapo?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6   

Jump to: