Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

[Speculation] Is there anything to worry about?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leave it, It's Billy E's 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:23 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

People of all walks make errors of judgement. Some support Carlton for fug sake!
If the substance these blokes took was in with coke or any other rec drug then they were stoopid but within the 3 strike law set out.
If I am wrong please correct me, but law/rules cannot n should not be made up on the run or we could be known unknowns that we don't know about that we might not know that we don't thank ya very much Donald ...

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:25 pm

Doc63 wrote:
David wrote:
Wrong. It's a category that includes legal and illegal drugs. Alcohol and cocaine are both recreational drugs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recreational_drug_use

Quote:
Recreational drug use is the use of a drug (legal, controlled, or illegal) with the primary intention to alter the state of consciousness (through alteration of the central nervous system) in order to recreate positive emotions and feelings. The popular concept of this phenomenon puts it closer to a social behaviour that many places around the world tolerate rather than to serious medical conditions such as self-medication. When a substance enters the user's body, it brings on a pleasurable intoxicating effect; in terms of psychoactive drugs, such as cannabis or MDMA, this is often referred to as a "high".

You may not like the term, but it's a widely accepted one. In this context, it also serves as a useful differentiation from "performance enhancing" drugs, many of which may also be illegal.

Ah, wikipedia, the font of all truth!!!

I'm not wrong. They are illegal. You might not like the term, but that doesn't mean you can refer to them as something else, just so that it sounds like they/you are not breaking the law.

I'm fine with referring to illegal drugs as 'illegal'. You're presuming that I'm using 'recreational' as a euphemism, when I'm simply using it as a way of differentiating from performance enhancers.

I think Wikipedia is a more reliable source of information than whatever your semantic preferences happen to be.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:16 pm

most people understand the difference between illicit and performance enhancing drugs. in some sections of the community they think people don't understand that and want to tell them. you're not the first to do this david.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:40 pm

The two are conflated far too often for my liking. I'm sure most people understand the difference and why they need to be treated like chalk and cheese, but that doesn't stop ambiguities from occurring. Best to be clear about the difference from the beginning, I say.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:54 pm

David wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
David wrote:
^ I don't understand your logic here. Why should there be zero tolerance? Who are the victims of their recreational drug use and why do the (in my mind, already draconian) punishments need to be expanded?

I respect your views on a lot of things, Neil, but this just seems like a desire to wield control over other people's lives for no good reason.

http://www.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2013/12/31/heres-why-youre-an-asshole-if-you-do-cocaine-tonight

Not sure Australian cocaine would come from Mexico
. But either way, where was your t-shirt made? Your coffee? Under this logic, we're all 'assholes' (with the possible exception of the 0.05% of the population who only buy fair trade).

Wrong.

http://theconversation.com/the-true-cost-of-cocaine-11992

You really just don't get it do you David.

This stuff doesn't just appear out of thin air it comes from criminals who source it from even bigger criminals who get it from some truly nasty pieces of work.

How many lives were lost along the way so some high flyer could snort a line of coke half a world away?

Without demand there would be no supply and misery wouldn't be bestowed upon countless innocent people to provide it.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:01 am

swoop42 wrote:
David wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
David wrote:
^ I don't understand your logic here. Why should there be zero tolerance? Who are the victims of their recreational drug use and why do the (in my mind, already draconian) punishments need to be expanded?

I respect your views on a lot of things, Neil, but this just seems like a desire to wield control over other people's lives for no good reason.

http://www.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2013/12/31/heres-why-youre-an-asshole-if-you-do-cocaine-tonight

. But either way, where was your t-shirt made? Your coffee? Under this logic, we're all 'assholes' (with the possible exception of the 0.05% of the population who only buy fair trade).

Wrong.

This stuff doesn't just appear out of thin air it comes from criminals who source it from even bigger criminals who get it from some truly nasty pieces of work.

How many lives were lost along the way so some high flyer could snort a line of coke half a world away?

Without demand there would be no supply and misery wouldn't be bestowed upon countless innocent people to provide it.

Then legalize it & there's no criminal issue & "we" can stop diverting gazillions into that part of law enforcement & prevent loss of life as well. All except for methamphetamine. Legalize / decriminalize / regulate & educate. I gunna patent that saying Wink

Last edited by watt price tully on Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:04 am; edited 2 times in total
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:03 am

John Wren wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

Now come on all of us, rise up and join me in the Nicks Temperance & Sobriety league.

far be it for nick's to host an english lesson but why do people add the word "up" when using the word "rise"? .....

You mean I was superfluously tautological? Shocked

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:16 am

watt price tully wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
David wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
David wrote:

Wrong.

Then legalize it & there's no criminal issue & "we" can stop diverting gazillions into that part of law enforcement & prevent loss of life as well. All except for methamphetamine. Legalize / decriminalize / regulate & educate. I gunna patent that saying Wink

I hope you're joking.

If not then God help society when drug driving, drug related violence, psychosis and everything else in between goes through the roof.

We have enough problem with alcohol without giving the green light to heroin, cocaine, ecstasy, GHB, LSD and whatever else is out there.

Medical marijuana is the only illicit drug I'd be happy to see legalised.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:28 am

swoop42 wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
David wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
David wrote:

Wrong.

I hope you're joking.

If not then God help society when drug driving, drug related violence, psychosis and everything else in between goes through the roof.

We have enough problem with alcohol without giving the green light to heroin, cocaine, ecstasy, GHB, LSD and whatever else is out there.

Medical marijuana is the only illicit drug I'd be happy to see legalised.

That's assuming people would want to use it, it would be illegal to use drugs & drive, age restriction etc, the government could be the point of sale & the gazillions used in law enforcement could go to regulate, rehabilitate & educate about the evils of drug use. We've well & truly lost the phoney war on drugs - which was bullshit to start with.

First though, we have to all learn Portugese Wink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_policy_of_Portugal

Last edited by watt price tully on Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:30 am

I'm not too good with negative counterfactuals.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:10 am

I think there's a few Nicksters who post while on drugs. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5   

Jump to: