Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Is Bachar Houli the new Adam Goodes?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
schuey07 Aries

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:45 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Sugar wrote:
Looks to me like you're exactly the type of person that banner was hoping to attract.

Once again, I will say that I don't agree with what the banner says. My point was the AFL has politicised football and this is what they get.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:06 am

True, what pissed me off the most was they put "Go Pies" on the banner.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:03 am

Getting back to the original point..... The AFL have already said the abuse was not racial or directed at his faith (so I have no reason to believe he was being called a terrorist).

The comparison to Goodes is that AFL fans are tarred as racist/bigots should they abuse opposition players who come from a different culture. On Friday, Houli gave our midfield an absolute bath and was targeted for that reason, yet the media in particular were making out that it was motivated by Houli's race and/or religious beliefs.

Let's just say I called him a 'bearded freak' as an insult because of his bushy beard, does that make me anti-muslim?
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:19 am

^ Um... did we read the same article? The guy quite clearly said that the supporter was calling Houli a 'terrorist' for about 45 minutes.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:22 am

David wrote:
^ Um... did we read the same article? The guy quite clearly said that the supporter was calling Houli a 'terrorist' for about 45 minutes.

Quote:
AFL spokesman Patrick Keane confirmed a Collingwood fan had been spoken to about the abuse of Houli.
"We are still in the process of investigating. There was a person detained and they had their membership taken," he said.
"Having spoken to the umpires it appears there was no racist abuse but yes there was abuse."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/bachar-houli-allegedly-racially-vilified-by-collingwood-fan-20160402-gnwnxw.html#ixzz44i7CAKFL
Follow us: @theage on Twitter | theageAustralia on Facebook

Directly from the AFL CEO

Quote:
AFL CHIEF Gillon McLachlan says there is no evidence Bachar Houli was the victim of racist or religious vilification on Friday night against Collingwood.

Richmond said on Saturday that the AFL was investigating "another incident of abuse" involving Houli.

The League has confirmed the abuse directed at Houli from the boundary line was not racially based.

"I have spoken with our security team, who interviewed officials who were nearby, and they've spoken to Bachar," said McLachlan on Saturday.

"I've actually spoken to Bachar myself.

"He did not hear, and there were no officials in the vicinity, who heard any racist abuse.

"There was a level of abuse. That's something that goes on in our game.

"I'm not condoning it but it was a level of abuse that is suffered by players at certain times in our game, as distinct from racial abuse.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-04-02/afl-to-investigate-abuse-against-houli

David Libra

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:42 am

I see. Well, either they're referring to different incidents or the Herald Sun article got it wrong. Of course, there's a difference between "was unable to confirm" and "didn't happen". You'd be pretty naive to think that this wasn't at least a semi-regular occurrence.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:51 am

David wrote:

That's what I read too, and the guy who got security to chuck the fool out (both the idiot and the hero are Richmond fans) said he then took umbrage with the rest of the crowd when they applauded him, for not helping him. I like that guy. We need him in politics! Honest, no fear.

Do you consider his abuse, terrorist to be racial? That's a tough one, it's based on the guys religion. It's also really disgusting. I can't imagine anyone not getting hurt by being called that. No matter what religion, race, colour they are. This is what's so fricken awful. All the Muslims I know anyway are just like us, peaceful, integrated, condemning this shit. Their choice of worship is just where they might go Sunday morning. How on earth do they get separation from extremists?

David Libra

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:00 am

I haven't called it racist (though some will point out that this is a slur that all Middle Eastern people get hit with, Muslim or not, so in a way it is). Otherwise I agree 100% with your post.

Here's the Herald Sun article we're referring to. How that squares with the afl.com.au article beats me.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/man-booted-from-mcg-over-islamophobic-sledges-at-bachar-houli/news-story/d76dbd00a67dcd8743189f5f8b59606c

David Libra

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:48 am

re: the earlier comments suggesting that people need to just "move on", I thought this was a great piece about our uneasy relationship with our national history:

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/why-australia-lies-to-itself-about-its-indigenous-history-20160330-gnuo4t.html

mandy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:51 am

I know supporter bases have a habit of turning on their own when games go to shit (look no further than our very own game day threads), but why would Richmond supporters abuse him on Friday night? He was clearly their best player all night and it was hardly his fault they lost in the last 20 seconds.

What an odd bunch.....

#SIDEBYSIDE
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:00 am

mandy wrote:
I know supporter bases have a habit of turning on their own when games go to shit (look no further than our very own game day threads), but why would A Richmond supporter abuse him on Friday night? He was clearly their best player all night and it was hardly his fault they lost in the last 20 seconds.

What an odd bunch (PERSON) .....

It was one supporter[/b]

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:01 am

David wrote:
I haven't called it racist (though some will point out that this is a slur that all Middle Eastern people get hit with, Muslim or not, so in a way it is). Otherwise I agree 100% with your post.

Here's the Herald Sun article we're referring to. How that squares with the afl.com.au article beats me.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/man-booted-from-mcg-over-islamophobic-sledges-at-bachar-houli/news-story/d76dbd00a67dcd8743189f5f8b59606c

cheers, and i know you didn't, i was asking you what you thought!!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:09 am

David wrote:
re: the earlier comments suggesting that people need to just "move on", I thought this was a great piece about our uneasy relationship with our national history:

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/why-australia-lies-to-itself-about-its-indigenous-history-20160330-gnuo4t.html

i didnt notice the move on comments, and i certainly wouldnt agree with them.

nobody deserves abuse, gees i had a crack ay an irish guy knee capping pommy me the other day, when he was giving me his solar power speel!! and i was out of line although he saw the joke thank goodness (he didnt have the best quote thankfully, he might have booby trapped it!!)

i cant speak for anyone else, but for me, the whole sorry thing just wont go away. they got a sorry from the government, on all our behalf, yes stop abuse now, there is no place for it, but why the labels? why not stop abuse full stop? the past cannot be changed, when do we move on from the sins of the fathers? all those abusers are dead or close to it. should we not be aiming for a brave new world of equality? continually bringing up the past is achieving what? yes by all means have a day for it, like ANZAC day for soldiers, but i dont need to say sorry at the football. just as i dont want to have to explain that halfwit with the sign is not speaking on my behalf, or even Collingwoods.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:12 pm

David wrote:

Isn't it interesting how eager we are to believe that any abuse of a minority must be racially motivated? The onus of proof seems to be instantly reversed and booing an athlete from a minority is assumed to be racist unless concrete evidence to the contrary is tabled and even then many won't accept it.

BTW, I'm not going to argue about whether referring to a middle eastern muslim as a terrorist is racism, if it's not it's close enough.

Brenny 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:19 pm

The way I've been reading it, there were two incidences.

1/ with the Richmond supporter.

2/ Allegedly down in our cheer squad. But nothing was made of it.

Or have I read everything wrong?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7   

Jump to: