Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre Match. Pies v. Blues. All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thunderbird 

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 10:24 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Interesting on 360 last night
Gerrard mentioned when talking about clubs who aren't were people expected them to be ladder wise he said "Collingwood are clearly a development side" "There age profile & games profile is exactly that of a development side" "The club has clearly sent the wrong message to its supporter base on exactly where this list sits"
Now I knew we were still developing but when he highlighted our age profile and games profile it actually hit home we are still years away from being a side challenging for a flag.
As disappointing as this is its reality.
I don't think we are finished at the trade table either as we have some glaring gaps in our side in regards to structure.
Patience is a virtue we will need in spades but I doubt we are going to get much around here.
Also I wonder how much patience the board will show towards Bucks
The appointment of Gubby Allen a trusted and intelligent man who oversaw the lions years of glory and assembled the GWS list (don't believe it was Silvani for a second) if this is going to be a restructure of coaching development recruiting etc under the guise of him performing another job.
The timing of the appointment is uncanny for mind

Totally agree and I am tempted to sit through all of the start of year speeches and detail who and how many times the word "finals" was repeated. The Club knows we bleed Black & White and they need to temper the marketing because its coming back to bite them now. Lots of angry supporters feeling deceived. I never went into this year hearing we would be a bottom 6 development club.
iandrews 

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:18 am

If anyone thought we were better than a bottom 8. Maybe as high as 6 if we have good run. You are all in lala land. Our list hasn't got much better only natural progress was in this season. Yes we recruited a bit of depth in the middle but that was about it. The really disappointing thing I find is our kicking skills under a bloke that in his day was the best kick over 50 meters from boot to tit in the comp. I'd have thought he would've at least got us to hit a target but we can't hit the side of a barnyard door. Patience is a virtue we all need let's face it we waited 20 years between drinks before and with GWS and Gold Coast about to clean up over the next few years stay low will see for a good time. Here's hoping anyway
derkd 

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 12:04 pm

not sure if anyone saw David Kings article about a month ago. He was discussing Collingwoods list age, the crux of his article was that most teams when rebuilding (which we have been since 2012) have a big clean out. Become very young, then slowly add on years. His point on Collingwood was that we got very young and then treaded water.... we kept adding younger players so that in a sense we have kept hittting the youth reset button every couple of years.

i can find a link to the artclie if anyone is interested.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 1:08 pm

derkd wrote:
not sure if anyone saw David Kings article about a month ago. He was discussing Collingwoods list age, the crux of his article was that most teams when rebuilding (which we have been since 2012) have a big clean out. Become very young, then slowly add on years. His point on Collingwood was that we got very young and then treaded water.... we kept adding younger players so that in a sense we have kept hittting the youth reset button every couple of years.

i can find a link to the artclie if anyone is interested.

Think we've chased guys like Varcoe, Greenwood and Howe to try and balance the list out a bit in term of age profile. Even guys like Smith and Wills are slightly older than you average draftee.

Difficulty is that you then need these guys and the remaining experienced players on the list performing so that you drip feed the kids into the senior team on the back of sustained good VFL form. We've been forced to just keep throwing the kids in at the deep end.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 1:40 pm

^ i just bumped another thread that has a graphic of our list profile. if we get it right we will have another extended period of playing finals. our last tilt saw eight years of finals. prior to that we had had a fairly barren run.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 2:17 pm

John Wren wrote:
^ i just bumped another thread that has a graphic of our list profile. if we get it right we will have another extended period of playing finals. our last tilt saw eight years of finals. prior to that we had had a fairly barren run.

Have to agree JW I think that's the level they are trying to achieve long sustained run in finals and hopefully snag one or two in the process
Our age profile and recruiting profile shows we have 85% of our list 26 or younger
MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 2:35 pm

mattys123′s Round 7 – Collingwood vs Carlton Match Preview is up on the site, thanks again matt.

http://www.magpies.net/nick/?p=1773

gurugeoff 

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:15 pm

the review above says Australia's biggest domestic rivalry. Not sure anymore. Carlton been crook for years and years, and with we're at, I think the match is viewed these days as just another match.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:21 pm

Thunderbird wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:
Gerrard mentioned when talking about clubs who aren't were people expected them to be ladder wise he said "Collingwood are clearly a development side" "There age profile & games profile is exactly that of a development side" "The club has clearly sent the wrong message to its supporter base on exactly where this list sits"
Now I knew we were still developing but when he highlighted our age profile and games profile it actually hit home we are still years away from being a side challenging for a flag.
I don't think we are finished at the trade table either as we have some glaring gaps in our side in regards to structure.
Patience is a virtue we will need in spades but I doubt we are going to get much around here.
The appointment of Gubby Allen a trusted and intelligent man who oversaw the lions years of glory and assembled the GWS list (don't believe it was Silvani for a second) if this is going to be a restructure of coaching development recruiting etc under the guise of him performing another job.

Totally agree and I am tempted to sit through all of the start of year speeches and detail who and how many times the word "finals" was repeated. The Club knows we bleed Black & White and they need to temper the marketing because its coming back to bite them now. Lots of angry supporters feeling deceived. I never went into this year hearing we would be a bottom 6 development club.

Finals weren't an unrealistic goal, and still aren't. Things need to go more smoothly than they have so far though. I think now as I did at the start of the year: we're in a pack of around 8 teams competing for the bottom two spots in the 8 in a very even year. If all goes to plan we can make the eight, if it doesn't quite work out we could finish as low 12-14.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:14 am

AN_Inkling wrote:
Thunderbird wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:

Finals weren't an unrealistic goal, and still aren't. Things need to go more smoothly than they have so far though. I think now as I did at the start of the year: we're in a pack of around 8 teams competing for the bottom two spots in the 8 in a very even year. If all goes to plan we can make the eight, if it doesn't quite work out we could finish as low 12-14.

True inky our best if definitely good enough to at a minimum be competitive with all sides. I was bullish preseason hoping we could finish 4-8 if everything went really well. We could still finish in a bunch of sides on or around 8-11 wins finishing between 8-14 but at the moment we appear anything but a 4 qtr competitive side which is my biggest concern. The gulf between our best efforts and what is being served up at other times is massive and that's the major concern.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:00 am

I've heard Pendles and Sidey left the main training session today early, which has now caused speculation that both of them may not play this week.
robevpau1 Cancer

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:04 am

Jezza wrote:
I've heard Pendles and Sidey left the main training session today early, which has now caused speculation that both of them may not play this week.

Lets' not pre-empt personal training requirements based on track appearance - remember it is 6 day turnaround plus interstate trip.
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:16 pm

'First-gamers' may trump Cloke: Buckley

Nathan Schmook May 5, 2016 12:59 PM

COLLINGWOOD may turn to youth rather than recall key forward Travis Cloke for Saturday's clash against Carlton at the MCG.

Cloke, who was dropped after round four and hasn't returned, is being considered for selection after an improved VFL performance last weekend.

But coach Nathan Buckley said the 29-year-old would be competing with potential debutants Tom Phillips and Ben Crocker when the match committee sat on Thursday afternoon.

"With our profile at the moment … our first cabs off the rank may be first-gamers," Buckley said.

"There's a couple of spots up for grabs there and we've had Tom Phillips and Ben Crocker perform really well in the VFL.

"It could be young guys or it could be more experience, but we'll pick the best 22 that we think is going to play the best brand of footy that we need to play for four quarters."

Buckley hosed down concerns over captain Scott Pendlebury, who left training early on Thursday after running laps, saying the light run was part of the midfielder's "individualised preparation".

On-baller Taylor Adams will miss a second week with a knee injury after failing to prove his fitness at Thursday's training session.

More to come.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-05-05/firstgamers-may-win-selection-ahead-of-travis-cloke-says-nathan-buckley
Jez07 

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:45 pm

If we do lose, Carlton have won more games than us since Round 11 last year and they sacked their coach.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:56 pm

Jez07 wrote:
If we do lose, Carlton have won more games than us since Round 11 last year and they sacked their coach.

Yeah that fully convinces me. Let's sack our coach mid year just because the Scum did it...... Evil or Very Mad What a great idea.... Idea

Why not go all the way and become a scum supporter yourself and stuff Collingwood? Then you don't have to worry about trivial matters such as Buckley coaching.... Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 5 of 15   

Jump to: