Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Shawry's top 10 Pies.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robbie 

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:29 pm
Post subject: I must be very old.Reply with quote

When I first viewed the supposed top ten, I had some reservations, and then I saw Prest35's ten included Nathan Brown and I felt sick. Nathan Brown would be lucky to be in Collingwood's top 200 and to have Brown in front of Weideman, Peter Moore, Barry Price, Bob Rose and many more defies belief. Simon Prestigiamcomo was better on a bad day than Nathan Brown on his best.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:58 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Presti35 selected his best 10 from the players he's seen - and he's too young to have seen any of the guys you list. Also, I'm pretty confident his "Brown" was Gavin, since he's the Brown everyone else (including Tony Shaw) has in mind.

As for your comment about the "supposed" top ten, we can all have our own views but I think the player who played the most games for the Club all-time is entitled to have a bit of a stab at listing the top 10 Collingwood players he's seen. We can disagree with him at the margins (about why some player or other was left out) and about the order but his 10 are all startlingly-good Collingwood champions that either walk in to anyone's top 10 or are worthy contenders. Once again, Shaw is younger than me, so he won't have seen Rose or Weideman, so they didn't fit the criteria he was using. My Dad used to hang over the fence and watch The Machine play (and train) and he has a slightly longer perspective. He would still tell you that Fothergill was better than Daicos and that Laurie Nash was the best footballer he ever saw - personally, I doubt the Daicos/Fothergill judgement but it's hard to have that debate if you never saw one or other of them play.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:26 pm

FWIW, my Pop, who died 25 yrs ago, always reckoned that Des Fothergill and Alby Pannam were 2 of the best Collingwood players we ever had.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:45 pm

Pendlebury is a plod squad type who compensates by making time stop. He then ventures into the Matrix and appears somewhere else on the grid. I can't remember another pies player in my lifetime that could do that. Its extraordinary in this age of speed of everything.
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:14 pm

Cam wrote:
Pendlebury is a plod squad type who compensates by making time stop. He then ventures into the Matrix and appears somewhere else on the grid. I can't remember another pies player in my lifetime that could do that. Its extraordinary in this age of speed of everything.

Cam I share your description of Pendles. To add is his timing when he delivers the pill no matter if he is under duress it's unbelievable. Against the Cats it was just superb and is what you go to the footy and see. Pendles and Swanny are two greats of this era!
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:17 pm

Cam wrote:

He is quite freakish. Not only does he make time slow down, but he seems to have a spatial processor in his head which means he knows where everybody is and how far in the clear they are, so nearly every possession is worth two.

Doc63 

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:50 pm

These lists are really hard, but here's my go at the top 10 that I've seen.

1. Daicos
2. Buckley
3. Pendlebury
4. Thompson
5. McKenna
6. Swann
7. Millane
8. G.Brown
9. W. Richardson
10. P.Moore

AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:00 pm

Cam wrote:

I'll telly you what Cam, Julian Rowe had it.

The Oracle wrote:
You have the sight now, Julian. You are looking at the world without time

Just wish someone taught him how to kick!

Bucks2014 

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:14 pm

Presti35 wrote:
Bucks2014 wrote:
10. Ricky Barham, yep one of my favourites from the early years. Can still visualise him running along the wing. All those grand finals for zilch.

My old man talks about Barham being an unrecognised champ.

How disappointed were you when Jaxons career didn't kick off?

Glad to hear i'm not on my own, good judge your Dad. Unfortunately Presti35, Jaxon had Dads pace but nothing else.

I did try to put Peter Moore in as well but didn't know who to drop out. Peter was before his time, Ruckman/Full forward pretty special player. Anyway I'm hoping Darcy can be just as good.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:31 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Presti35 selected his best 10 from the players he's seen - and he's too young to have seen any of the guys you list. Also, I'm pretty confident his "Brown" was Gavin, since he's the Brown everyone else (including Tony Shaw) has in mind.

Cheers P4S. I did mean Gavin Brown.

Redlight 

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 10:44 pm

I feel for those that didn't get to see Daics at the height of his powers, but feel good 'cause I got to see it first hand. Smile

He's unlike any player I've ever seen, he was a thrill ride, a freak of nature. It was a privilege to sit in the stands while he worked his magic. I remember the sound of the crowd swelling in anticipation whenever the ball went near him. He rarely let us down, a career spent created magic from nothing at all.

And all that only to have Bobby Davis call that week's freakish dribbled goal/s a 'fluke' on Wide World of Sports. Week after infuriating week.

Who else created an entire type of goal kicking?

I think Buckley may have been the most reliable and disciplined player, the most routinely high-performing individual, the most 'G.I. Joe' role model player that I've seen play for Collingwood, but I'd swap two Buckley's for another Daicos.

Players like the number 35 are a once in a lifetime treat.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:15 pm

To suggest John Greening wasn't more of a match winner than anybody shows a serious lack of knowledge. Other sides would switch play to avoid his wing. I loved Dakes and his goal kicking was freakish but Greening's passing was better than Buckleys and he would bring the entire forward line into play. The dog who hit him got 10 weeks. These days he would get 5 years. If he had of played in the forward line he would have been just as effective as Dakes because he would have been too fast for big players and too tall for quicker ones. Play was more one on one back them he was rarely, if ever beaten.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:01 am

And, of course, he was two years from hitting his peak period!
GreekLunatic 

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:33 am

daicos was a freak a goal kicking centreman till injuries made him a permenant forward as a mid fielder daicos was the best I have seen
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:29 pm

Bucks2014 wrote:
Presti35 wrote:
Bucks2014 wrote:
10. Ricky Barham, yep one of my favourites from the early years. Can still visualise him running along the wing. All those grand finals for zilch.

My old man talks about Barham being an unrecognised champ.

How disappointed were you when Jaxons career didn't kick off?

Glad to hear i'm not on my own, good judge your Dad. Unfortunately Presti35, Jaxon had Dads pace but nothing else.

I did try to put Peter Moore in as well but didn't know who to drop out. Peter was before his time, Ruckman/Full forward pretty special player. Anyway I'm hoping Darcy can be just as good.

It was an era when it was worthwhile going to the footy just to watch the battles on the wing. Barham, Greig, Flower, Turner... there were some sensational players.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6   

Jump to: