Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Evaluating the trade period: how did we go?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:25 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Our trading met our limitations. We offered up fringe players and we got what market value despite many on here over rating our fringe/reserve players. Two free agents sort of balance the loss of experience. WHE is a good pick up. Dunn although a Melbourne fringe player has the potential to be OK.

We can bitch an moan or applaud what's going on as far as draft selections go. People need to take their blinkers off, we have no 1st round pick and we offered up Spuds as trade bait.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:26 pm

Who out of these players we've lost was playing regular senior football in 2016: Williams, Toovey, Swan, Macaffer, Frost, Cloke, Brown, Witts?

ZERO.

How many were reliable kicks?

ZERO.

We bring in Wells, Mayne, Dunn, Hoskin-Elliott...and that's even before this year's actual draft (Daicos and Brown).

I'd say we've done EXTREMELY WELL.

The only issues are:

a) injuries / depth
b) another batch of players having to 'gel' with the squad

On paper, we've got a pretty good video game team. Whether Buckley van coach it accordingly is another matter.

malteaser 

Stanley Kubrick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:28 pm

Presti35 wrote:
Well I woke up to check the news (6:30 am in London) and felt disappointed.

When you look at the whole trade period, we saw several grandpas, hacks and injury prone players fly around the country.

Who was the overall winner of this trade period?? Hard to say. It might actually be Carlton, but if its true they knocked back Atkins and pick 14 for Gibbs, I have to give them a fail.

Quote:
1. Free Agency singing Daniel Wells Nice way to start it all off. A best 22 player for free.

2. Free Agency signing Chris Mayne. Another "free" player. Perhaps the length of the deal is a bit of a worry, but worth the risk bringing him in.

3. Not matching the Nate Brown offer from St Kilda. Ideally, we would have preferred to trade him to North, for what would have been a Marley pick. But the club has made the right call in letting Nate go.

4. Trading Jarrod Witts to GCS for pick 44 and pick 62. Initially, I felt that we could have done better than pick 44. But considering the other deals that have gone on this year, I think we'll take the two picks and run.

5. Trading Travis Cloke to WBD for pick 76. Honestly, Im glad to see the back of him. Again, I felt that we cold have done better than pick 76. But if we could have moved that to get James Stewart, this would be a MASSIVE . So X.

6. Trading a future second round pick for Will Hoskin-Elliott. The best move of the period. Very happy with this one. Not much else to say. Just another big .

7. Trading Jack Frost, pick 76 and a future third round pick to BL for a future third and fourth round pick. X . I felt like we could have done more here. Essentially we traded Cloke, Frost and a future third for another future third and fourth. If only Witts and Marley were happy to go to BL too!

8. Trading Marley Williams to NM for pick 105. X. Ridiculous. Pick 105? We should have pushed this one earlier or tried to package him with another player. Very disappointed with such a terrible pick. I know its "better than nothing" But then again is it?

9. Trading pick 47 for Lynden Dunn and pick 51. Im happy to downgrade three picks and get Dunn. He'll provide depth/support and even at 29, is a better player than Frost/Brown.

I was disappointed that Essendon got Stewart for pick 77. We could have essentially traded pick 76 (Cloke) to get that done. And I think we would have been rather satisfied if we managed to get that done.

I was disappointed that we couldn't make a move on Rockliff. If we added him to the side along with WHE, Dunn, Wells, Mayne and maybe Stewart, I would have called this an extremely successful trade period.

Will add more to this later as I'm now late for work lol

Don't think there is good blood with the Stewarts. I have seen him play quite a bit and in reality he really needs an educator and that is what Worsfold is. He is a sook also, nuf said.

winpies Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:29 pm

MightyMagpie wrote:
Jezza wrote:
winpies wrote:
We did better than what Terry Wallace said on Trade Radio - he gave us a D- from memory. Twit!!!

It was E+ actually.

Coming from the guy who was a part of the club who drafted Richard Tambling before Buddy in 2004 Laughing

Didn't he upgrade it after the WHE trade went through?

Yes I think he did.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:32 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
Who out of these players we've lost was playing regular senior football in 2016: Williams, Toovey, Swan, Macaffer, Frost, Cloke, Brown, Witts?

ZERO.

Brown. 16 games is pretty regular.

Seth 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:37 pm

So someone please tell me because i don't understand all this point shite. What will we do in the draft? we are obviously going to draft 2 FS players. What picks will be used for them? Our first pick whenever that will be has to the tallest KPP back available as the FS players are both midgets!

Geez I don't know, just not sure what Bucks is doing. After 10 rounds unless we are 7 & 3 he should be gone. If winning and headed for finals great but if not he will be the first sacking as I don't see him resigning at any stage but then again Eddie won't admit his mistake either so will be a very interesting year.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:39 pm

Brown wil be bid on by a team at 25-26 ish to screw us as he's touted as a top 30 pick. Hopefully not.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:55 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
Brown wil be bid on by a team at 25-26 ish to screw us as he's touted as a top 30 pick. Hopefully not.

We get a 20% discount on any father son bid.
So if a bid around what you suggest would be around 756-729 points
Take away our discount of 150-146 points means we would have to find 606-583 points
So picks 44 & 51 would get the deal done from this years picks we have
We have also picked up 2 X 3rd picks and 2 X 4th round picks for 2017 which we can use to land Daicos
Would still leave us pick 28,62,65,88 so we have picks to use in the draft
Apparently it's a faulty even draft so any club bidding on Daicos or Brown will know we can burn later picks or next years late round picks and nab them which pushes that club down the draft order. I wouldn't be to worried at all hammer
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:06 pm

Including the free agents I'll give it a 7/10. Our trading return was a little underwhelming but that's more to do with the crazy state of trading and this period in particular.

We lost one (combined) best 22 player and brought in three (Dunn will also play some). That's a win.

This trade period was about reconfiguring. Our team proved incapable of playing the style we wanted and we've looked to address all areas:

1. poor forward pressure (Mayne is elite)
2. poor forward entries (Wells is elite)
3. a defense that simply could not play the zoning style asked of it (out the slow and weak footed, in the mobile Dunn with a long leg)
4. lack of pace and flair (Wells and WHE both bring it)

So, while some will argue about the particular players brought in, the direction the club's taking is clear, and I think exciting.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:10 pm

We don't always agree AN_Inkling, but I am with you on this.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:20 pm

Presti35 wrote:
Well I woke up to check the news (6:30 am in London) and felt disappointed.

When you look at the whole trade period, we saw several grandpas, hacks and injury prone players fly around the country.

Who was the overall winner of this trade period?? Hard to say. It might actually be Carlton, but if its true they knocked back Atkins and pick 14 for Gibbs, I have to give them a fail.

Quote:
1. Free Agency singing Daniel Wells Nice way to start it all off. A best 22 player for free.

2. Free Agency signing Chris Mayne. Another "free" player. Perhaps the length of the deal is a bit of a worry, but worth the risk bringing him in.

3. Not matching the Nate Brown offer from St Kilda. Ideally, we would have preferred to trade him to North, for what would have been a Marley pick. But the club has made the right call in letting Nate go.

4. Trading Jarrod Witts to GCS for pick 44 and pick 62. Initially, I felt that we could have done better than pick 44. But considering the other deals that have gone on this year, I think we'll take the two picks and run.

5. Trading Travis Cloke to WBD for pick 76. Honestly, Im glad to see the back of him. Again, I felt that we cold have done better than pick 76. But if we could have moved that to get James Stewart, this would be a MASSIVE . So X.

6. Trading a future second round pick for Will Hoskin-Elliott. The best move of the period. Very happy with this one. Not much else to say. Just another big .

7. Trading Jack Frost, pick 76 and a future third round pick to BL for a future third and fourth round pick. X . I felt like we could have done more here. Essentially we traded Cloke, Frost and a future third for another future third and fourth. If only Witts and Marley were happy to go to BL too!

8. Trading Marley Williams to NM for pick 105. X. Ridiculous. Pick 105? We should have pushed this one earlier or tried to package him with another player. Very disappointed with such a terrible pick. I know its "better than nothing" But then again is it?

9. Trading pick 47 for Lynden Dunn and pick 51. Im happy to downgrade three picks and get Dunn. He'll provide depth/support and even at 29, is a better player than Frost/Brown.

I was disappointed that Essendon got Stewart for pick 77. We could have essentially traded pick 76 (Cloke) to get that done. And I think we would have been rather satisfied if we managed to get that done.

I was disappointed that we couldn't make a move on Rockliff. If we added him to the side along with WHE, Dunn, Wells, Mayne and maybe Stewart, I would have called this an extremely successful trade period.

Will add more to this later as I'm now late for work lol

I don't know why we didn't make a move on Stewart who went so cheaply to Essendon. Apparently the club doesn't rate him. Having lost Witts I would have thought Stewart would have provided cover for Grundy in the ruck and could play forward in the absence of Moore. I feel Hine and co just don't value the importance of cover for KPP's like they do for mids. This will come back to bite us in the event Moore and Reid suffer injuries.
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:27 pm

winpies wrote:
We did better than what Terry Wallace said on Trade Radio - he gave us a D- from memory. Twit!!!

You are being kind.

MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:38 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:

We get a 20% discount on any father son bid.
So if a bid around what you suggest would be around 756-729 points
Take away our discount of 150-146 points means we would have to find 606-583 points
So picks 44 & 51 would get the deal done from this years picks we have
We have also picked up 2 X 3rd picks and 2 X 4th round picks for 2017 which we can use to land Daicos
Would still leave us pick 28,62,65,88 so we have picks to use in the draft
Apparently it's a faulty even draft so any club bidding on Daicos or Brown will know we can burn later picks or next years late round picks and nab them which pushes that club down the draft order. I wouldn't be to worried at all hammer

You don't get to choose the picks for points. Points come off the next pick after the bid (and if need be the next one, and so on).

This is why clubs have sought to move up high in the draft order so they can draft an elite player before academy/FS players get bid on.

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:45 pm

The_Staunton wrote:
Solid D+ on the AFL website

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-20/trade-verdict-how-did-your-club-fare-during-the-trade-period

Yes, we were rated down at the cellar level.
But plenty of posters think we won.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:49 pm

thompsoc wrote:
The_Staunton wrote:
Solid D+ on the AFL website

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-20/trade-verdict-how-did-your-club-fare-during-the-trade-period

Yes, we were rated down at the cellar level.
But plenty of posters think we won.

This thread is about trades and free agents.

I understand why the AFL site rated us lowly, we gave away four players for very little. What they fail to take into account is that these players had little to no value to us either. The only real in for us was WHE and he's an exciting one.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 5 of 12   

Jump to: