Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Heritier Lumumba about to launch a broadside at the club

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:57 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

watt price tully wrote:
thesoretoothsayer wrote:
Quote:
The Chimp nickname needs context added to it.
Did they call him that because of his colour or because of something that he did?

No, I don't think it needs context.
Calling a black guy "chimp" whatever the context is dumb as $%%$.

+ 1.

Yep. Wow, Some who were team Goodes have switched sides because it's Harry. Or are they just blindly defending our players?

Goodes was called an ape by a 13 year old and she said it was because he resembled one, and yet she needed education anyway. But it's ok to call Harry chimp because ....... what possible reason could it be that's acceptable, and we are talking about grown men, not a 13 year old!

I've always had the utmost respect for Maxwell I'd love to see him come home but really? Harry never let on his feelings were hurt? WTAF! It's a racist term it's not acceptable. I'm quite frankly disappointed and disgusted by that comment.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:02 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
^ All meaning depends on context. You rightly take certain wider context into account in decoding "chimp" to mean something racist, yet you deny context when it might disconfirm that it was so. Can't have it both ways.

That's true however I'm happy to have a wager on the said context.

It'd take some exceptional circumstance to tip the scales away from it being offensive, but (a) it's conceivable ; and (b) unless you think Maxwell is a liar, it is surprising that H did not take exception to it at the time, given his known views even at that time. So it seems strange, to say the least, unless the context was extenuating.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:42 pm

Bob Skilton says hi.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:57 pm

ronrat wrote:
Bob Skilton says hi.

You can't just call him Bob Skilton.

It is law that he has to be called " Triple Brownlow Medallist Bob Skilton".
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:41 am

Mugwump wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
^ All meaning depends on context. You rightly take certain wider context into account in decoding "chimp" to mean something racist, yet you deny context when it might disconfirm that it was so. Can't have it both ways.

It'd take some exceptional circumstance to tip the scales away from it being offensive, but (a) it's conceivable ; and (b) unless you think Maxwell is a liar, it is surprising that H did not take exception to it at the time, given his known views even at that time. So it seems strange, to say the least, unless the context was extenuating.

I get the impression that Lumumba was far less outspoken in his early years at the club – if it happened when he was still on the rookie list and trying to prove himself as a player (c. 2004-2006), I can well believe that he would have kept his hurt to himself.

It may seem inconceivable in this day and age, but remember this is over a decade ago. A little over twenty years ago, Winmar and Long were only just taking a stand against onfield racism for the first time. It's been a pretty steep learning curve along the way.

September Zeros 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:54 am

watt price tully wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

Regardless of your willingness to wager - Context is not only absolutely relevant, it is unknown, but you watch the context be dismissed and the club get thrown under a bus- thanks to catchy one liners from the book of SJW's.

case in point - "casual racism" Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Don't tell me this release has not been planned for some time - just prior to finals- how miraculous. And don't tell me there's not a certain media group helping drive the wagon of "shame". Its just a pity for H we missed out on finals and the impact of this will be ZERO. In fact he has done us a favor in doing it now so as not to impact 2018.

Have your say H and then take your divisive ideals and kindly move on.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:08 am

September Zeros wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

Regardless of your willingness to wager - Context is not only absolutely relevant, it is unknown, but you watch the context be dismissed and the club get thrown under a bus- thanks to catchy one liners from the book of SJW's.

Don't tell me this release has not been planned for some time - just prior to finals- how miraculous. And don't tell me there's not a certain media group helping drive the wagon of "shame". Its just a pity for H we missed out on finals and the impact of this will be ZERO. In fact he has done us a favor in doing it now so as not to impact 2018.

The term "white privilege" is a very racist phrase....but it's ok it seems because it's only derogatory towards white people 😉

Heritier seems more than happy to throw around his racism.

4everpies 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:28 am

It's a pity he doesn't take sexism as seriously as his other causes.

Some of his comments and actions at club functions were disgraceful.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:44 am

slangman wrote:
September Zeros wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

The term "white privilege" is a very racist phrase....but it's ok it seems because it's only derogatory towards white people 😉

Heritier seems more than happy to throw around his racism.

Oh dear.

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:27 pm

How things have changed

From the Prince. The one who will have the last laugh and is gifted.

Taking an expression from Buckley I just see the whole thing as SAD and whist this is not good for the club I do not think it will end well for H. I really cannot see an up side from this in realistic terms.

https://youtu.be/OGKU0pOWC9Y

thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:59 pm

Member 7167 wrote:
How things have changed

From the Prince. The one who will have the last laugh and is gifted.

Taking an expression from Buckley I just see the whole thing as SAD and whist this is not good for the club I do not think it will end well for H. I really cannot see an up side from this in realistic terms.

https://youtu.be/OGKU0pOWC9Y

Cannot see an upside?
Really? What about SBS presenter, ABC panellist, Guardian columnist, Diversity Consultant to govt., big business and industry.
Harry's on a goldmine.
Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:59 pm

Mugwump wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

It's not surprising at all. What would have happened if he did raise a fuss at the time?

GoWoodsmen 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:05 pm

slangman wrote:
K wrote:
thesoretoothsayer wrote:
From WWOS:
Quote:
alleges he was called “Chimp” by Magpies teammates for years, a claim disputed by the club

So let's wait for corroboration before we believe his story.

Unfortunately, it seems they are disputing the duration, "for years", not the name called.
From the original article in The Age:
Quote:

Maxwell says of the "Chimp" nickname that Lumumba, with whom he was close, had never communicated to him that it hurt.
Collingwood on Friday said the nickname came about as a result of an incident at a party and was short-lived.

The Chimp nickname needs context added to it.
Did they call him that because of his colour or because of something that he did?

BINGO! In the article he stated the nickname came about because of an incident at a party but then provides no further information. It is the great non-thinking of our generation that as soon as someone utters a word people choose to apply their own intentions to it, rather than that of the person saying it. When I read the story I was horrified initially that the nickname Chimp could have been accepted by anyone at the club but what if the nickname came about because at a party he got up on a table and did an amazing impersonation of a gorilla or a "chimp"? I have to think that's possible but without context I'm sure as hell not going to jump to conclusions like so many.

Sir Alan of Didak Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:28 pm

H + Shae = a match made in snowflake heaven.
Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:34 pm

4everpies wrote:
It's a pity he doesn't take sexism as seriously as his other causes.

Some of his comments and actions at club functions were disgraceful.

It's not a surprise. Most people are only conscious of discrimination to the extent that it personally effects *them*.

It's not uncommon at all for anti-racist Black men to be highly sexist. Or for white gay men to be racist. Or for feminists of all colours to be homo/transphobic etc etc.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 5 of 36   

Jump to: