Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Weagles end Pies' run - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:53 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Loss of Cox at the start was massive.It clearly made this game a bridge too far.
I didn't see the game, but from the comments here and the fact that Natanui left the field, Grundy's inability to impact the game suggests that he is fatigued.
I think our injury list finally and brutally made its presence
felt today.
I am very worried about next week, given that we're not likely to get any reinforcements next week, Sier and Wills are possibly both injured, and we have no clear match up for Brown.
Lets hope at least that Cox will be back next week, because without him our attack,and defensive structures are severely compromised.

Monco Matt Aries

Do it to THEM before THEY do it to YOU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:55 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
Monco Matt wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
Monco Matt wrote:
I thought we would handle the Eagles on the MCG but we were not prepared.

MM, I think we had them while we were able to play our game style - ordered chaos, in close. Then, they took on the Hawthorn game style and we were stuffed. Please, can someone tell me why we can't handle that kick, lead, mark - rinse and repeat style?
It is because we play a zone setup more often than not, that Hawthorn game style picks it apart. Man on man is the answer there but we don't really do that too well. We like to swoop on turnovers and run and gun, but when the opposition holds on to the ball like the Eagles did today beautifully well for 3 qtrs then we are stuffed, we become ball watchers. The manic rushing of the ball carrier was not there today either, but that is hard to implement regularly, save that for 4 weeks in September with a practice game now and then.

Many thanks for your reply MM.
Let's hope then, that the coaches get together and teach our boys how to man up when it's necessary!!! I get that it must be hard to change your game style during a game, but somehow we need to be able to switch to a Plan B when the opposition adopts that "Hawthorn" strategy. It irks the beejesuz out of me that we just can't seem to do anything to stop it. Sigh.
Very frustrating, it is the blue print for beating us. How many times have we knocked off the Hawks in the last 10 years? I know shifting to 'Plan B' is never easy, but we have to be able to adjust our strategy on field when the opposition is doing something that counters our 'Plan A'. The Tigers can play multi-plans and can we really be a serious contender without this flexibility?

MONCO: Your life.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:57 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

Unhappily, I think he means the Ben Brown that is starring for North - but being shaded at the moment by Majak Daw, who is starring at CHF.

Oh sh*t. Might have to give the footy a miss next week to preserve my mental health. It may not be pretty for us.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:01 pm

Collingwood Crackerjack wrote:
The Future Captain to Daw then? Gonna be him or Shaz I'd say...

No, I think our best defender should go to Brown. Langdon at least can spoil.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:01 pm

They could have gambled with Mc Larty & who knows it may have worked as
bombing ball fwd with no talls gave McGovern and co a cheap ride

Trying Mc Larty if it didn’t work accelerates the need to turn over what’s available outside the club

The remaining games and just maybe finals aside our future cries out for a key tall

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:04 pm

Monco Matt wrote:
Very frustrating, it is the blue print for beating us. How many times have we knocked off the Hawks in the last 10 years? I know shifting to 'Plan B' is never easy, but we have to be able to adjust our strategy on field when the opposition is doing something that counters our 'Plan A'. The Tigers can play multi-plans and can we really be a serious contender without this flexibility?[/quote]

These are my thoughts too MM. I think that we have now got a handle on our Plan A, which is a positive I suppose. Perhaps the next step in our development is having a Plan B, because we sure don't have one at the moment. We probably need more of the taller, fast, dashing type players to create it. We currently have a lot of mid-sized, tough, scrapping, bullocking players which suit our Plan A, but not any other plan.
This game of ours is an enigma isn't it and recruiting suitable players always lags behind any forward planning.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:05 pm

John LEWIN wrote:
Eddie, does he really get "all" the credit when the team wins? I don't read that here. What do you think his contribution was to the outcome today?

Replacing a tall forward/ 2nd ruck with Crocker! It never got better and a disaster of a move given we got smashed after WC no1 ruck went off!!!

You dont think he gets credit? Are you new here?
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:07 pm

BazBoy wrote:

Trying Mc Larty if it didn’t work accelerates the need to turn over what’s available outside the club

The remaining games and just maybe finals aside our future cries out for a key tall

Good point BazBoy. It might be time to see what McClarty could bring, especially if Coxy doesn't play next week. WTF is "general soreness" anyway????.
Number 35 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:14 pm

Anyone know how Fasolo and Elliot pulled up?

Be a pleasure to have a couple ex-35er's out there next week, pull the trigger im done with varcoe and crocker...

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

piedys wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
piedys wrote:

Now... you do realise we currently have no player on our list capable of manning Ben Brown next week, don't you? He might kick a career high bag!
And Ziebel will swallow anything that Brown spills. Not looking good at all.

It took a Grundy sling tackle to take Brown out of the game in August last year, and cost him 3 weeks out of the team for his trouble.

Agree, Brown could be a huge worry. If Darcy plays as well again next week, he may have the height and dash to go with Ben Brown?

Darcy our only hope really, to have any hope of spoiling Brown's vertical take offs in a marking contest in their F50.

This is where we really miss Reid too, he could have gone to Ben, and of course Dunn is a huge loss. Sidey played a shit game today, as did a number of others, I cant see that happening again, make a few changes, re jig the team. Best way to beat Ben is to keep the ball away from him,up the other end, if we can keep him to five, we can win it. I expect a far more determined effort next week, Nth aren't as good as the eagles, no way known. Exclamation

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

eddiesmith wrote:
John LEWIN wrote:
Eddie, does he really get "all" the credit when the team wins? I don't read that here. What do you think his contribution was to the outcome today?

Replacing a tall forward/ 2nd ruck with Crocker! It never got better and a disaster of a move given we got smashed after WC no1 ruck went off!!!

You dont think he gets credit? Are you new here?

I agree with you Eddie. I can understand the temptation to go with a smaller, more mobile forward line with the selections, but I think the our coaches under-estimated the value of tall timber Coxy being down there to at least bring the ball to the ground. You can only hope that they learn from their selection mistake!!! .
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:15 pm

Anyhoo, im still blaming the lucky Beard, we really missed the Beard today, was like having an extra player on the ground. Big mistake Bucks, big mistake, grow it back pronto mate, a s a p. !!

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:16 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
BazBoy wrote:

Good point BazBoy. It might be time to see what McClarty could bring, especially if Coxy doesn't play next week. WTF is "general soreness" anyway????.

For the fist 20 mins of the 1st quarter, this was not a problem, as we used our pace and mobility up forward, kicking low and to space. If we had taken our opportunities we could easily have been 5 goals up at quarter time and it might have been a different game. But then again, if your aunty had wheels.......But I digress.

The problem was we seemed to change this tactic, perhaps due to fatigue, and resorted to long bombs, which simply played into the Eagles hands. However, overall, I think our main weakness was lack of tackling and physicality. We simply looked fatigued. Let's hope for a light week on the track this week and a swift bounce back against the Roos.

Fwiw, I don't think McLarty is anywhere near ready for senior footy.

Last edited by RudeBoy on Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:16 pm

Multi plans are what a good side has (as Tigers used as an example )

Strangely they are simalar with Reiwolt their only tall and spread the load with small / medium players at ball drop—only thing the do it a bit better than us
We play North who have way better than Tigers Riewoldt so let’s hope Cox be back tho still try Mc Larty in next 6 games

Nothing ventured nothing gained

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:17 pm

Haven't seen the game so will limit my comments to selection based on the numbers I'm seeing in the stats sheet.

1. I see Cox was listed as out due to general soreness.

So, if I assume he's been under a cloud all week why oh why wasn't McLarty included in the squad? With Cox out, today would have been a perfect opportunity to give him Sam one and retain our two tall forward structure.

Crocker offers little of what McLarty can't and little of what he can.

Failed to kick a goal again today making that 2 goals from his last 8 matches.

2. With 7 disposals and 0 score it would appear Hoskin-Elliott wasn't fully fit and it was a risk to select him.

3. Crocker, Mayne, Greenwood and Varcoe. Our side doesn't look premiership material with all those names in the 22 for mine so Bucks please select a maximum of 2 of these players moving forward and replace one with Murray asap. Mayne back to his metres gained "best" today of 53 making that 3 out of the last 4 matches where he's failed to crack the 100m mark.

4. Young Brown with a better inside game seems a safer bet at this stage of development than young Daicos who is having little influence at present.

Hopefully this loss serves as a wake up call to the players and coaching staff moving forward and a stark reminder of what will be required come September against the best opposition.

We just aren't good enough yet to become complacent with selection and I feel that is what happened this week and we paid the price for putting to much faith in the collective whole rather than the individual limitations of some fortunate to be in the side based on form, fitness or ability.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 5 of 12   

Jump to: