Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

"Shame on anyone that booed a champion."

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:22 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? Did anyone seriously think Shiel had a chance of getting it? If he'd played well, Essendon might have won.
tbaker 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:28 pm

^ Well, no-one observing the game objectively would've thought anyone but Pendlebury deserved it
eureka 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:04 pm

All I want is an official apology from the Essendon football club from their ceo then move on
lihei Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:14 pm

Essendrug remain our bitches, so let’s all just move on.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:17 pm

eureka wrote:
All I want is an official apology from the Essendon football club from their ceo then move on

Yep after all the crap we have had to deal with over the years that’s more than fair!

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:18 pm

Pendles since Essendon’s last finals win:

Played 283 games, won 5 B&F’s, made the AA squad 5 times, won 12 finals games, won 3 ANZAC medals, won a Premiership & won a Norm Smith Medal

And this bunch of idiots have the audacity to boo a champion
I figured out why
They don't know what a real champion is they've never seen one or that the privilege of having one play at that disgrace of a club
Kudo's to Buckley he gets it so much these days not only defending our captain but our club and the what the day means
If that shithole has any form of integrity left (highly doubtful) they would issue a unreserved apology not only to all diggers but to our captain and club
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:22 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Much to my own surprise, I have a completely different take on the booing episode, and the media's response to it.

To begin with, let's stop all this crap about it being a solemn occassion, the presentation of the ANZAC Medal. This is bullshit. The ceremony was held before the game, and was treated respectfully by the entire 90,000 plus crowd. Also, the ANZAC 'medal' itself is a media and commercial driven piece of nonsense. Calling the award a 'medal' on a day we honour those who understand the word 'medal' to mean something much more important, is a joke.

Once the pre-game ceremony is over, it becomes a game of footy...nothing more and nothing less. Booing, getting angry, passionate, screaming and shouting are all part of the theatre of the game. Let's not get too precious about crowd noise.

Let's be honest about it all and admit that had we been in Essendon's shoes, we'd have felt we'd been robbed of the game. If the roles had been reversed I'd have been booing long after the siren had sounded. I'm not convinced that much, if any at all, of the booing was specifically directed at Pendles. The fact is the Bomber fans were absolutely furious, believing (wrongly) that they had been robbed of the game.

The media, and in this instance Gerard Whately in particular, love to make mountains out of molehills, because it makes them seem important, and somehow morally superior to 'the mob'. Phuck Gerard Whately, phuck Robbo, and phuck all the private school phucks like Gill McLachlin. They don't own the game. It belongs to us, 'the mob'.

All of a sudden booing has become an 'evil' and something to stamp out. The hypocrisy from the media and the elites who run the game is astounding. The AFL has taken a very strong and principled stand on inclusiveness and discrimination, yet when 'the mob' boo Ablett after he publicly approved a statement that all homosexuals and a few others (including atheists like me) should burn in hell, the crowd response gets criticised. But I digress.

Was it disappointing that the crowd booed during the presentation to Pendles? Of course it was. Was it disgraceful and 'foul' behaviour? Certainly not. Was it part of the drama, passion and organic expression of pent up emotion we want at the footy? Absolutely it was.

Finally, we live in a world where so much of our lives are controlled. At work most of us have to be subservient to the rules, instructions laid down by our wage-slave masters, our bosses. As almost everything is privatised nowadays, society is under constant surveillance and control by police, security guards, and the moral police of the media. Being amongst the crowd at the footy, is one of the rare times we can truly publicly express our feelings.

So Bomber fans, my message to you is, I hope you are still booing. You lost, we won and while you were booing, I was laughing at your booing, because the more you were booing, the more I knew you were hurting, and the more enjoyment I was getting from another glorious victory by the Mighty Magpies!

Boo hoo!

Great post

I’m not fussed by all the hooplas though, I’m enjoying it! Good to see so done else’s fans cop shit! Hopefully next time Pendles really tears them a new one!

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:34 pm

David wrote:
Indeed, the fact that a best-on-ground award given to a footballer can even be associated with the tragedy of war in some people's minds is evidence that reverence itself is being put on a pedestal here over the things that we're actually supposed to be honouring, i.e. those who died in futile conflicts overseas.

The list of criteria for Anzac Day medal is not just for the best performance - there are other factors that come into play:
Since 2000, the player in the match considered to best exemplify the Anzac spirit – skill, courage, self-sacrifice, teamwork and fair play – has been awarded the AFL Anzac Medal

I would argue that Anzac Day is about many things. Yes, foremost it is about honouring those who have tragically died in stupid wars. However, Anzac Day also pays homage to the courage, self-sacrifice and mateship of all who fought.
I don't think it logically follows therefore that the Anzac Day medal is about putting reverence "on a pedestal".... whatever that means.
K 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:04 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
Morrigu wrote:
Lovely to hear Nathan acknowledge Ray Cool

Agree Morrigu. Very classy from Bucks. Later last night. when he appeared on "The Front Bar"... he explained how he now understands how his father going to the Vietnam war shaped Ray as the father he became.

Is this a polite way of saying he understands his war experience made him a very demanding father?
K 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:07 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Much to my own surprise, I have a completely different take on the booing episode, and the media's response to it.

To begin with, let's stop all this crap about it being a solemn occassion, the presentation of the ANZAC Medal. This is bullshit. The ceremony was held before the game, and was treated respectfully by the entire 90,000 plus crowd. Also, the ANZAC 'medal' itself is a media and commercial driven piece of nonsense. Calling the award a 'medal' on a day we honour those who understand the word 'medal' to mean something much more important, is a joke.

Once the pre-game ceremony is over, it becomes a game of footy...nothing more and nothing less. Booing, getting angry, passionate, screaming and shouting are all part of the theatre of the game. Let's not get too precious about crowd noise.

If that's the case, should we have a game of footy on Anzac Day? If yes, then should we just come clean and change the name from Anzac Day to Anzac Dawn or Anzac Hour or Anzac Minute?
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:57 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
David wrote:
Indeed, the fact that a best-on-ground award given to a footballer can even be associated with the tragedy of war in some people's minds is evidence that reverence itself is being put on a pedestal here over the things that we're actually supposed to be honouring, i.e. those who died in futile conflicts overseas.

The list of criteria for Anzac Day medal is not just for the best performance - there are other factors that come into play:
Since 2000, the player in the match considered to best exemplify the Anzac spirit – skill, courage, self-sacrifice, teamwork and fair play – has been awarded the AFL Anzac Medal

I would argue that Anzac Day is about many things. Yes, foremost it is about honouring those who have tragically died in stupid wars. However, Anzac Day also pays homage to the courage, self-sacrifice and mateship of all who fought.
I don't think it logically follows therefore that the Anzac Day medal is about putting reverence "on a pedestal".... whatever that means.

I’m talking about the critical response to the booing as being disrespectful due to the supposed gravity of the occasion. As for the medal itself, I’m inclined to agree with Rudeboy’s summation – it’s a (perhaps well-intentioned, perhaps cynical) cash-in.

K 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:01 pm

David wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:

I’m talking about the critical response to the booing as being somehow disrespectful due to the supposed gravity of the occasion. As for the medal itself, I’m inclined to agree with Rudeboy’s summation – it’s a (perhaps well-intentioned, perhaps cynical) cash-in.

Support for the footy game was based on the supposed gravity of the occasion. If it's just a sham, should footy be played on Anzac Day at all?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:16 pm

K wrote:
David wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:

I’m talking about the critical response to the booing as being somehow disrespectful due to the supposed gravity of the occasion. As for the medal itself, I’m inclined to agree with Rudeboy’s summation – it’s a (perhaps well-intentioned, perhaps cynical) cash-in.

Support for the footy game was based on the supposed gravity of the occasion. If it's just a sham, should footy be played on Anzac Day at all?

Well, we need a public holiday for the football match but we could just replace "Anzac Day" with "Collingwood Day" as the public holiday. The real question is should there be an Anzac Day at all?
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:21 pm

K wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
Morrigu wrote:
Lovely to hear Nathan acknowledge Ray Cool

Agree Morrigu. Very classy from Bucks. Later last night. when he appeared on "The Front Bar"... he explained how he now understands how his father going to the Vietnam war shaped Ray as the father he became.

Is this a polite way of saying he understands his war experience made him a very demanding father?

Laughing Laughing That could be a possibility K!
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:24 pm

David wrote:

I’m talking about the critical response to the booing as being disrespectful due to the supposed gravity of the occasion. As for the medal itself, I’m inclined to agree with Rudeboy’s summation – it’s a (perhaps well-intentioned, perhaps cynical) cash-in.

Okay.... whatever..... I continue to disagree. Don't think there's much point in continuing to debate it as we obviously come from very different viewpoints.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 5 of 13   

Jump to: