Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre Match. Pies v. Port. All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
derkd 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:58 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pebbles Rocks wrote:
derkd wrote:

On to the teams, for mine -

OUT:

Thomas (too inconsistent due for a spell)

Greenwood (not terrible, but horses for courses selection)

IN (out of):

Aish (if fit, adds the touch of composure needed in back half)

Elliott (if fit, no question, missed his talent on ANZAC day.)

Wells (could be a surprise but not a bad game to bring him back, small ground his skill and kicking could be a very nice weapon off the half back line)

Quaynor (young fella and again smaller ground might not be a bad time to get your first game).

Thoughts everyone?

The fact that you are suggesting Quaynor and Wells possibly play next week makes me wonder how much knowledge you have of their progress?

Thomas is inconsistent but is a defensive forward so it is no surprise. He plays a similar role to Varcoe who also does the defensive things first.

I think Reid for Mihocek is a possibility. Brodie seems to be playing with a little niggle which is hampering him and a weeks off may help with that. Reid could fill that role well and give him some valuable time in the seniors

the reason i mention them is they have to play at some stage, less Quaynor then Wells, I am all for not over playing Wells but he will need to come in for a run at some stage. I think right time for A run, not arguing for consecutive games.

LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:10 pm

Our two key deficiencies are contested ball and transition speed out of defence.

On the contested ball front, JDG into the guts.
No co-incidence we're 17th on clearances and 15th for tackles! Our best footy is when we bring the manic tackling.
Lazy-Beams needs to pull his finger out on this front. A paltry 12 tackles for the season. Callum Brown has 13 and played one less game. At least the kid is showing endeavour. His improvement has been exponential so the quicker we get him to 50 games the better.
Beams needs to get amongst it, too often he's on the outside watching the contests.

Defensive transition / re-bound 50.
Defence has been sound but the re-bound is absent, we need marked improvement on this front. The default appears to be hold onto the pill and hit a target. We're devoid of transition speed hence 13th on rebound 50's. More from Maynard and Crisp on this front. Run past and create opportunities.
That's where I'd like to see Varcoe go back to the 2nds and develop a game off HBF. He's capable of chasing and laying a tackle, it might just prolong his career another season. Wells is more than capable of covering Varcoe's 2019 output, up the ground.

Key match-up's
Thankfully R Gray out.
Aish back in to take on Rozee. Brown as back-up. Rough onto Paddy.
Interesting to see if the athletic Hoff lines up on the wing again. Might upset our structures if Moore is forced to play up on the wing. Still, it's the position I've wanted to see Moore play for 2 years. I'm thinking 'Richo Man' mk2.

In : Elliott, Aish
Out : Varcoe, Thomas

B: Langdon, Roughead, Aish
HB: Crisp, Howe, Maynard

C: Moore, Pendlebury, Sidebottom
R: Grundy, Adams, JDG

HF: Stephenson, Mihocek, Beams
F: WHE, Cox, Elliott

Int: Treloar, Brown, Greenwood, Phillips

EMG : Reid (in for Cox if the calf doesn't come up)

Last edited by LaurieHolden on Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:24 pm

I dare say tackles are down across the board with the keepings off style employed with most teams thus far.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:34 pm

Derkd:

Agree with all your thoughts. Wells and Quaynor have been tracking nicely in the Magoos. That aside, I don't see them both coming in at the same time. Also reckon they'll be wary of having Wells come in off a 6 day break against Port, but who knows?

Our match committee always seem to keep injuries/severity of close to their chests so don't be surprised if Cox is out this week and they bring Reid in. Not agreeing but Mason copped a big stomp on his calf late in the game and may struggle to get up.

masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:37 pm

derkd wrote:
Realistically speaking we are still yet to put together four quarters of solid football (not a bad thing).

We were very lucky to get away with the four points against the bombers, if that game had gone a few minutes longer we would have lost. Good sides find a way to win and that is what we did.

Anyway, on to this week, anyone who thinks this week is going to be a cake walk needs to throw away those one-eyed glasses they wear, the competition this year is far too even....and Port are a decent team (even sans Grey) If we can escape with a two or three goal win I for one will be pleased.

On to the teams, for mine -

OUT:

Thomas (too inconsistent due for a spell)

Greenwood (not terrible, but horses for courses selection)

IN (out of):

Aish (if fit, adds the touch of composure needed in back half)

Elliott (if fit, no question, missed his talent on ANZAC day.)

Wells (could be a surprise but not a bad game to bring him back, small ground his skill and kicking could be a very nice weapon off the half back line)

Quaynor (young fella and again smaller ground might not be a bad time to get your first game).

Thoughts everyone?

Watched Quaynor on staturday in the vfl ...he is not ready for afl.
Wells was poor in the first half but very good in the second half.
Wells played the whole game.....but he looks a fraction overweight to me.
Guys got talent but is he match fit......maybe.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:54 pm

Elliot just said he’s fine —that’s one pos in

Aish after mandatory week concussion—that’s two pos in

And not sure how Mason pulled up with that knock—-Reid maybe if big forward is required

mgh3536 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:27 pm

can't play reid and cox in the forward line together... but still think the former all australian defender might be better choice at FB.

Crisp Reid Maynard
Howe Moore Pendlebury
Phillips Beams Treloar
Sidey Micheok Hoskin-E
Elliott Cox Stepho

Grundy DeGoey Adams

Wells Langdon Aish Greenwood
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:54 pm

My Guess:
OUT: JT & Greenwood

IN: Elliott & Wills

From the VFL:
Reid; Even though he's having a good season in the VFL, I dont think he will come in unless we lose a tall.

Quaynor; I also believe he isnt quite ready. And thats fine. Just keep playing him in the VFL. He's looking like a good pick up tho.

Wills; I thought he was our best player. Deserves a call up.

Wells; Needs to really turn it on in the VFL. He was good in the second half. But I think he needs a few more games in the 2s.

If Aish is ok, do you put him straight back in? I dont know? He's been ok, but he hasnt featured in the bests. But it's also possible Varcoe is rested/managed.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:48 pm

If Cox knock is a week out of game would Reid play—-???
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:49 pm

If Cox knock is a week out of game would Reid play—-???
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:12 am

Amongst other things Ports ruck division (Lycett and Ryder) is the best in the league in my view if both are fit. They are streets ahead of Grundy and Cox as a combination. Add the under rated but dangerous Justin Westoff then Port have 3 highly effective talls and all dangerous.This is apart from their new brigade of talent. Danger game although I expect us to win if we can play more than a quarter of decent footy.
DT 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:19 am

Yes WattPrice you are right about Port’s rucks. It is critical that Cox plays so that we keep Roughead and Moore as our key backs rather than our back up ruck. This is the problem if Cox does not play then Reid comes in to play forward but Roughead has to act as the back up ruck and then we need to play Langdon or Howe on a taller key forward.

Port will push Ryder forward to try and create goals but we can match him with Moore or Roughead. This shows the benefit of having to good 200cm + key backs. Lucky that Dixon is not playing and the loss of Robbie Gray is huge as we have always struggled to match up on him.

We must improve on clearances and contested footy. Rockliff Wines and Boak are three formidable contested footy players. Adams and Pendent will match them but we need Beams and Treloar to step up. This would have been a great match for B Sier to have played in if he was fit and in form.

I like our back 6 - very solid and even better if Aish comes back to support them. Elliott will also return. Greenwood to be omitted despite a solid effort against the Dons. The other omission may be Varcoe instead of Brown as Callum is really stepping it up of late.

This is a must win game and hopefully the Pies should have a fraction too much class and experience for Port and win by 18 points

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:23 am

Should we fit Wills in to balance the strength for us at clearance
Think he had huge tackle count last Sat

E 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:14 am

Presti35 wrote:
My Guess:
OUT: JT & Greenwood

IN: Elliott & Wills

From the VFL:
Reid; Even though he's having a good season in the VFL, I dont think he will come in unless we lose a tall.

Quaynor; I also believe he isnt quite ready. And thats fine. Just keep playing him in the VFL. He's looking like a good pick up tho.

Wills; I thought he was our best player. Deserves a call up.

Wells; Needs to really turn it on in the VFL. He was good in the second half. But I think he needs a few more games in the 2s.

If Aish is ok, do you put him straight back in? I dont know? He's been ok, but he hasnt featured in the bests. But it's also possible Varcoe is rested/managed.

i think JT is well ahead of Varcoe. I also think Aish will come straight back in. i agree regarding Reid. I dont think his legs are good enough to play a defensive role where you often have to react to a fast lead and so you either concede or you stress fragile legs. at least forward, he can dictate the speed he runs. he would only come in if Cox or Mihocek is hurt. He is insurance only for that i would have thought. Both Roughhead and Moore are better talls down back (and we might even make Howe and Langdon play tall if one of them was out before using Reid - they have performed with aplomb inthese roles previously).

If Aish and Elliot are fit, i'd say they'd both come straight back in and i'd drop Greenwood and Varcoe (agree with others who think Brown deserves to keep playing even though i have been his biggest critic).

The obsession fans have with Wills continues to intrigue me......

E 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:16 am

watt price tully wrote:
Amongst other things Ports ruck division (Lycett and Ryder) is the best in the league in my view if both are fit. They are streets ahead of Grundy and Cox as a combination. Add the under rated but dangerous Justin Westoff then Port have 3 highly effective talls and all dangerous.This is apart from their new brigade of talent. Danger game although I expect us to win if we can play more than a quarter of decent footy.

Agree that its a danger game and i think that port are legit! I would hope that being in Melbourne gives us the edge, but you never know....

WCE, Giants, Geelong and Port are our rivals for the flag, in that order! Maybe Richmond, but i doubt it.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 5 of 12   

Jump to: