Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre Match. Magpies v. Hawks. All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:18 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The texan has an average of 1.5 goals per match this year.
Varcoe is currently sitting on 0.3 goals per match.
The texan has 3 guys hanging off him every match.
The texan has 3 guys scragging him illegally every match.
The texan is still learning the game and probably won 't peak for 2 to 3 years.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:27 pm

masoncox wrote:

It's hard to know. Some guys just reach their peak very quickly.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:36 pm

Great news that Jamie Elliott is available to play.

If we assume: Aish is available and Sier is available, then selection is difficult. I think we want to leave Schazz in the seniors to build up. So, can't drop him to make way for Aish.
Out Reid, Callum Brown or Josh Daicos,
In: Elliott, Sier
Varcoe to go to HB at times while Maynard runs through the midfield. Does Aish come in, and if so who goes out? Don't think it should be Varcoe, since he can go to HB, and then we can let Maynard roam. So either JT or one of Cal Brown and Josh Daicos would have to make way.

If we assume that Sier is unavailable, then:
In Elliott, Aish
Out: Reid, Callum Brown or Josh Daicos

Others want JT dropped ahead of Callum or Josh. I will be convinced that JT should be dropped if he is down again this week. I give him another chance because he applies great defensive pressure, and has proven that he can create scoring possiblities. The absence of Stephenson hurts him (as it does everyone), but he has a chance to show his worth now Elliott is back, with JDG and WHE also playing forward.

K 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:59 pm

P. Ryan: "Collingwood are unlikely to make wholesale changes to the line-up that played against North Melbourne, with their long injury list restricting their ability to introduce ready-made replacements for Friday night’s game against Hawthorn."
Nuss 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:58 am

Cox's lack of footy smarts will cost us big time one day
mattdally 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:23 am

Aish, Elliott have to come straight in.
Reid, Thomas to be dropped - JT needs a rest - he's just going through the motions.
the fuzz 

Fuzz loves Bruzz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:38 am

Nuss wrote:
Cox's lack of footy smarts will cost us big time one day

And he may just pull out a game like the 2018 Prelim on GF day. Who knows..
When our teams clicks again (hopefully this Friday) Coxy will benefit.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:07 pm

i just looked at the supposedly ignominious footage of Greenwood failing to contest the ball being trumpeted by Brown. I agree with those who believed it was inconclusive: it looked to me that Greenwood thought he would be able to seize the ball while running through, and it glanced off his hand at an angle whiile his momentum took him past the contest. Other footage confirmed what we all observed: we played without any of our usual vigour and energy. An interesting stat that Roos emphasized was the fact that this year we have changed our style from hunting the ball at contests to maintaining possession. We now play the boundary line with short kick to marks, making us one of the top marking teams in the game. But we are getting smashed in ground ball possessions. Last year, we smashed others in this stat. If our change in game style is to avoid injuries, then it has been an abject failure. Healy declared that the change was made to prevent turnovers, but correctly pointed out that these have been just as high this year as last year anyway. So the question must be asked: why have we made such a radical departure from the style last year that almost won a flag? The injuries crisis we find ourselves in now is reaching critical mass as well. We will need to draw on the reserves of mental strength and courage that we showed last year to hold the lines while some of our players return from injury.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:17 pm

masoncox wrote:

Yes to the above and I believe it's absurd to think that anyone would consider Mason a liability!!! He was our only multiple goal kicker last week !!! I bet plenty of other teams would like a liability like him. Evil or Very Mad

We know what Mason can do when the ball is delivered to him properly at the right height. Maybe Lloyd's idea of pushing back more into packs is another technique he could learn, but the ball needs to be delivered to him in a way that allows for this too.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:24 pm

^^^ ( re magpietothemax )

Our inability to win ground ball contests ( particularly in our own forward half ) has a huge domino effect on our ability to win games.
Two of the most important stats in footy are time in possession and time in forward half. When you win both those stats, you generally win the game ( assuming you nail most shots on goal )
The moment you start losing ground ball contests, you hand the ball to the opposition and they have both the territory and the possession game back on their terms.
I have been banging on about our inability to retain the ball in our own forward fifty for weeks but people still get caught up in ( centre ) clearances.
The best way to win a game of footy is to maintain it in your own forward half until you score. If you can’t do that ( and we currently can’t ) then you won’t many games of footy.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:43 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
masoncox wrote:

Yes to the above and I believe it's absurd to think that anyone would consider Mason a liability!!! He was our only multiple goal kicker last week !!! I bet plenty of other teams would like a liability like him. Evil or Very Mad

We know what Mason can do when the ball is delivered to him properly at the right height. Maybe Lloyd's idea of pushing back more into packs is another technique he could learn, but the ball needs to be delivered to him in a way that allows for this too.

Cox also gives Grundy some relief in the ruck which is a great asset.
BUT when you talk about goal averages, you still have to weigh that against his role in the ball getting cleared away because he hasn’t taken the ball cleanly in the air. I’m not putting the blame solely on Cox because our issue is our inability to retain ground balls and that’s on the ground level players.
However, the best way to take some concern out of losing ground balls in our forward half is for him to take more marks than his recent exposed form.
In theory, Cox should need less perfect delivery than anyone else in the comp but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t strive for it either.
With Reid out this week, we are likely to be better at ground level anyway but more than anything, an in form Cox is still the best solution to maintaining the ball in our forward half.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:16 pm

^^Pies2016: why this year have we become so poor at keeping the ball i50, when last year it was such a strength??
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:33 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:
^^Pies2016: why this year have we become so poor at keeping the ball i50, when last year it was such a strength??

Sorry...just answered my own ridiculous question: lack of i50 pressure is a direct result of our low ground ball gets statistic. The real question is: why have we moved away from the style of game we played last year where there was such an emphasis on winning ground ball contests?

Ev5Magpies Virgo

Ev5Magpies

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:48 pm

Quaynor is playing Fri night.

Video on CFC Facebook page

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:16 pm

Assuming Sier is Ok, then I predict 2 changes.

Out: Reid, Brown
In: Elliott, Quaynor

Elliott replaces Reid up forward, and Quaynor can replace Maynard in defence, allowing him to ad some much needed grunt in the midfield.

Regardless of the result, I just want to see us hitting the packs and the Hawk players with everything we’ve got. If not, then our season is cactus.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9   

Jump to: