Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#2 Jordan De Goey

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 299, 300, 301  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkOSuv 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:27 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

jackcass wrote:
MarkOSuv wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
MarkOSuv wrote:
Really messy for the club and Jordan and Nathan

Long post so please bear with me.

My daughter went to Mandeville and her group of friends know Jordy through mutual connections with St Kevin's kids (sister school).

Jordan was cocky at school and he has become even more cocky since being drafted. He likes to party, his behaviour issues are well known in the footy industry. Last year Gubby had a one on one with Jordy and he was put up for trade. Not one club bit and the common reason was he has serious behaviour concerns.

Ben Hart was on radio last night and said Collingwood don't have a discipline issue entirely but a number of players have discipline issues. That is a worry.

De Goey was dropped late last year. It wasn't due to form Dips but a series of behaviour transgressions. No doubt Hart is alluding to De Goey here.

The club has shot itself in the foot here. As soon as the story broke with the dog ate my homework excuse, you knew it was a lie. Anyone could tell you that. The media were laughing at it and rightly so.

One wonders why Buckley put himself in such a vulnerable situation. Is he too trusting? Is he too naive? Is he simply not intelligent enough to put the sequence of events together last week with Jordan celebrating his 21st on Friday and it falling on the last free weekend for footballers for 6 months?

Major egg on the face for all parties. The club, the coach and the player.

You are completely wrong in your criticism of Bucks. His philosophy is to ALWAYS believe his players, so they have trust in him. The only person with egg on his face is De Gooey.

You have to have some cyncism to be a successful coach. If you believe everything your players tell you, they will take you for a ride like what Jordan has done here.

I'm a school teacher. I've heard every excuse under the book. When someone says the dog ate my homework I literally know they have no shame and no excuse.

A senior coach has to have a mix of savvyness and empathy. Anyone with half a clue knew Jordan had just turned 21 and had a history of questionable behaviour. Anyone with half a clue knew the story was bullshit. Buckley opened himself up to being embarrassed through a lack of due diligence and blind faith in a player who had red flashing lights all over him.

Without being privy to the conversation it's a bit of a leap to assume Bucks wasn't cynical of the excuse offered up but either way it doesn't diminish his need to demonstrate support for his players. I think the humour of his media conference says a lot about his thinking. The "yes it's highly unlikely but I've discussed with Jordan and he emphatically affirmed this actually happened as described so I'm left with little recourse than to support him" outcome was as you'd expect.

Don't buy that at all. Trust is earnt and people who have transgressed before, have a much lower threshold if any at all. Jordan was dropped last year owing to discipline concerns by the coach and his captain.

You don't magically regain that trust in the space of 6 months.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:31 pm

Me senses a troll alert!!!!
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:34 pm

MarkOSuv wrote:
Don't buy that at all. Trust is earnt and people who have transgressed before, have a much lower threshold if any at all. Jordan was dropped last year owing to discipline concerns by the coach and his captain.

You don't magically regain that trust in the space of 6 months.

What Rudey said
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:06 pm

MarkOSuv wrote:

Last year Gubby had a one on one with Jordy and he was put up for trade. Not one club bit ....

I'll bite !
Surely someone would have offered something.
We took p479,582 for Travis.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:02 pm

The kid stuffed up, then owned up.

He copped the rounds of the house and now has to prove himself.

Christ, it's not like he tried to hijack a bus while pissed. People mature at different rates mentally, anyone who has a 20 something year old kid could probably tell stories about a lot worse shit.

I'm prepared to back him until/if the club decides not to.

people in glass houses...........

he who is without sin...........

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:19 pm

^ Correct weight. These are young men, and from what I saw, the boy is going to be a star if he gets his head right. We don't know the context of the fight, other than that he should not have been there. So he takes his medicine and learns from the experience. I'm still glad he wears our jumper, not someone else's.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:20 pm

Thinking Sando may get with him as at training they had a friendly rivalry at goal kicking
and thought the kid against Bummers showed agressive work in traffic for a couple of
good goals

At the time thought Sando may have given him some confidence early

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:22 pm

I think Buckley knew the story smelt bad - you could see in the sardonic way he retailed it that he did not believe it 100%. But until JdG 'fessed up he needed to say what he had been told. He could hardly go on TV and say that he suspected one of his players was lying. The haters can feed on scraps. This year's results will tell us what is real.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:26 pm

Mugwump wrote:
^ Correct weight. These are young men, and from what I saw, the boy is going to be a star if he gets his head right. We don't know the context of the fight, other than that he should not have been there. So he takes his medicine and learns from the experience. I'm still glad he wears our jumper, not someone else's.

hammer, nail, head, bang. Exclamation Exclamation

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:31 pm

To be an AFL coach you have i reckon got to have a thick hide to take the brickbats that come with the bouquet's

Bucks is not for mine in that bracket certainly when ya look at the hard nosed Clarko

This incident i am sure got thru some of Bucks exterior skin and hurt the bloke for no good reason when he is full on getting the troops ready

I actually feel for the guy being treated like that

MarkOSuv 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:38 pm

Mugwump wrote:
I think Buckley knew the story smelt bad - you could see in the sardonic way he retailed it that he did not believe it 100%. But until JdG 'fessed up he needed to say what he had been told. He could hardly go on TV and say that he suspected one of his players was lying..

Football clubs aren't isolated Islands where players and support staff don't intimately know the going ons of each other during the week. A number of club insiders would have known Jordan had a 21st on Friday. A number of them would have also cringed when Buckley put himself at the mercy of a player with behavioural issues in the last 6 months and believed his fanciful dog at my homework story.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:43 pm

MarkOSuv wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
I think Buckley knew the story smelt bad - you could see in the sardonic way he retailed it that he did not believe it 100%. But until JdG 'fessed up he needed to say what he had been told. He could hardly go on TV and say that he suspected one of his players was lying..

Football clubs aren't isolated Islands where players and support staff don't intimately know the going ons of each other during the week. A number of club insiders would have known Jordan had a 21st on Friday. A number of them would have also cringed when Buckley put himself at the mercy of a player with behavioural issues in the last 6 months and believed his fanciful dog at my homework story.

Do you know he believed it ? I watched the interview with Buckley. Reading his body language it did not look like he believed it to me. But he had to front the media and explain. What was he supposed to say, in your view, in that situation ?

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:43 pm

stui magpie wrote:
The kid stuffed up, then owned up.

He copped the rounds of the house and now has to prove himself.

Christ, it's not like he tried to hijack a bus while pissed. People mature at different rates mentally, anyone who has a 20 something year old kid could probably tell stories about a lot worse shit.

I'm prepared to back him until/if the club decides not to.

people in glass houses...........

he who is without sin...........

Plenty of ifs and buts in your assessment. All he is, is a high draft pick who earned a rising star award in his first year and didn't do much in his second year, before he blew it all in his third year by getting into a fight at his 21st and breaking his hand and lying to his coach about how he did it. Until he redeems himself in the eyes of the playing group, I'd prefer to reserve judgement on him than make up excuses for his bad behaviour.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:48 pm

I'm not excusing it, I'm putting it in context.

Times change, expectations change, but the fact remains that apart from the lying his misbehaviour is on the mild end of the spectrum.

He has potential. If he doesn't realise it then that's his fault. But we should support him until it's time not to.

MarkOSuv 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:51 pm

Mugwump wrote:
MarkOSuv wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

Do you know he believed it ? I watched the interview with Buckley. Reading his body language it did not look like he believed it to me. But he had to front the media and explain. What was he supposed to say, in your view, in that situation ?

If he had any doubts of the story prior to the press conference he was extremely foolish to tell a white lie. This isn't some local football club where you can say things off the cuff without implications. He has a group of media advisors behind him that vet everything. They are employed to control the message they want to portray and release. This is done down to the minute detail and if there is hole in it, it will soon be exploited by media forms.

The club has looked foolish and embarrassed and a scandal that could have been nipped in the bud at the instant and not in the public space has grown legs when it didn't need to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 299, 300, 301  Next
Page 44 of 301   

Jump to: