Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Climate change

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:28 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Wokko wrote:
I'll endeavour to write more long winded irrelevant crap that nobody engages with. Nothing like a trail of dead threads to really keep a discussion board fresh.

If I'd known that controversial threads on climate science were also the high point of your social calendar of course I wouldn't have resorted to logical discourse. The intention wasn't to deprive you of the many more opportunities for social affirmation that shorter posts bring. Not to mention all that plausible deniability you've grown used to living off.

Of course, there are other ways of feeling liked and right, but I've reached the Word Limit. As the holy books state:

John 1:1 wrote:
In the beginning was the Word Limit, and the Word Limit was with God, and the Word Limit was God. For even God needs to feel liked.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:14 pm

The constant posting of links and memes without explanation or analysis; lack of engagement with, interest in or recognition of well-established differing views; an excited quoting of anything that agrees regardless of background, context and quality; juvenile tactics to derail and interrupt serious critique; a cringeworthy begging from fellow insiders for up-votes and bum slaps; a refusal to admit error or visit failed predictions; and a general demeanour of glibness. This pretty much describes the communication of extreme religions and cults.

And the parallels don't end there. There's the Holy Orange Prophet; the cryptic insider messages; the demonising of outsiders; the persecution complex; the apocalyptic fears; the disconnect from non-believers in the fallen urban centres; the scribal academies and commentary industry; the regular receipt of divine messages from the Prophet; the imaginary citizenship of the Promised Heartland; and the unlikely converts from distant nations, desperate to prove themselves worthy.

But [some unapproved group] does that, too! [img]Post Weasel Meme here[/img].

Yes, I know. These attributes alone aren't novel. But the pathological is all about clusters and grades, and the Facebook Right is weirding out at a rapid clip, morphing into something traditionally found on the far left or far right. It really is quite the cult.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:46 pm

I'm no longer going to be posting in this thread or on this topic.

These current bushfires should be a time when Australians come together as we have in the past when disasters happen, but I'm seeing the opposite and I'm basically disgusted.

Politicians on all sides throwing blame at each other, all trying to take some kind of moral high ground, scoring cheap political points at a time when non-partisan politics is desirable.

Climate change evangelists claiming vindication almost gleefully, hurling insults at any who dare try to offer some rational objectivity, a guy I know on Facebook posting pictures of bushfires captioned with "If you voted Liberal, this is your fault"

It's almost fitting that today is the first day of a new decade (and if you want to argue about that, go find someone who gives a phuk) because this is the tone of things to come, when shrieking, posturing and insults take the place of rational discussion.

Welcome to the 20's, the decade where rational discussion, which has been on life support for a while, will be pronounced dead.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:05 pm

Well, whether or not climate change be the cause, if you voted Liberal, it is your fault. Wink
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:23 pm

The trouble with "coming together" is that it suggests that there is no political aspect to this disaster. But environmentalists and scientists have been pleading for global action on climate change – and for Australia to play its part in that – for at least two decades. We know that the intensity and longevity of these fires are a direct consequence of anthropogenic climate change, and so it’s fair to say that we would very likely not be seeing devastation on this scale if those calls had been heeded; instead, this government and its predecessors all the way back to Howard have variously denied the problem entirely, sabotaged attempts to address it or dragged their feet on it. I agree with David Marr’s blunt summation of our leaders’ failure:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jan/01/australia-is-becoming-a-nation-of-dread-and-the-world-looks-on-with-pity-and-scorn

Quote:
If Morrison could face the truth, he might speak not only to his country but the world. If Australia were taking effective action against climate change, this catastrophe would give us the right to demand better of the great rogue states on climate, China and the USA.

That stubborn refusal to acknowledge what’s even happening here, and the ongoing positions of societal power held onto by climate sceptics and liars, is what is preventing any kind of unity from emerging. When so many people are acting in bad faith, and action that could at least mitigate the effects of future bushfires – not next year, probably not even in a decade’s time, but at least for the generations to come – is still being stymied, anger is a perfectly rational and reasonable response.

Last edited by David on Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:25 pm

David wrote:
The trouble with "coming together" is that it suggests that there is no political aspect to this disaster. But environmentalists and scientists have been pleading for global action on climate change – and for Australia to play its part in that – for at least two decades. We know that the intensity and longevity of these fires are a direct consequence of anthropogenic climate change, and so it’s fair to say that we would very likely not be seeing devastation on this scale if those calls had been heeded; instead, this government and its predecessors all the way back to Howard have variously denied the problem entirely, sabotaged attempts to address it or dragged their feet on it. That stubborn refusal to acknowledge what’s even happening here, and the ongoing positions of power held by climate sceptics, is what is preventing any kind of unity from emerging. When so many people are acting in bad faith, and action that could at least mitigate the effects of future bushfires – not next year, probably not even in a decade’s time, but at least for the generations to come – is still being stymied, anger is a perfectly rational and reasonable response.

Good Lord, you really believe that?!

Laughing Laughing

David Libra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:36 pm

Skids, anyone with a brain (you’re exempted) has acknowledged that the scope of these fires – the early beginning of the fire season and their persistence – has been exacerbated by man-made climate change. I acknowledge that this is sometimes oversimplified and it’s hard to pin down cause and effect from 200 years of advanced human industrial activity around the world. But the fact is that 20 years is not a negligible time period in that schema, and Australia has played an unfortunate role over that time in not only failing to manage its own emissions, but also sabotaging global action. So yes, I think it’s arguable that we’re now living the consequences of political failures within living memory.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:40 pm

Unmitigated bullshit.
David Libra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:06 pm

At this point, isn’t this as useless as a debate between creationists and evolutionists? (You can decide which side each of us are on!) This isn’t a disagreement over interpretations of facts, but fundamentally distinct views about a central issue.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:11 pm

Wokko wrote:
Unmitigated bullshit.

BS is people having a forceful contrarian opinion on a topic they lack even the entry-level maths to study.

BS is people demanding reckless courses of action that they would otherwise not take if they were held legally responsible for their views.

BS is people failing to insure against risk.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:02 pm

David wrote:
At this point, isn’t this as useless as a debate between creationists and evolutionists? (You can decide which side each of us are on!) This isn’t a disagreement over interpretations of facts, but fundamentally distinct views about a central issue.

I think I said much the same thing earlier.

Doomsday climate hysteria has become a religion with its own dogma, messiah figures, zealots and devils. Those inside the religion consider those out of it to be heretics worthy of punishment or death and any effort to argue on the facts is met with severe cognitive dissonance, insults and personal attacks.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:14 pm

^I have no problem with the observation about extremism; climate change advocacy has has a worryingly apocalyptic wing.

But how that bears on people who, as I say, don't even have the entry-level maths to start studying the subject properly, let alone to justify a contrarian view, is beyond me. The most that intuitive misgivings might justifiably lead to is a slightly more conservative hedge.

That fanaticism breeds counter-fanaticism hardly makes joining them an attractive option.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:21 pm

David Marr’s level headed observations. He’s always been an astute observer:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jan/01/australia-is-becoming-a-nation-of-dread-and-the-world-looks-on-with-pity-and-scorn

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:55 am

Great but sad read

Can this clown get re elected? He just has no aura at all!

David Libra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:02 am

In a sane world he wouldn't have a chance – have we ever had a less impressive individual filling the role of Prime Minister? – but I think the fact that he managed to win the last election at all suggests that anything's possible. You can point to Shorten's unpopularity, but Albanese is just as much of a charisma vacuum. So Morrison could be the next Menzies and be PM for life for all I know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Page 46 of 51   

Jump to: