Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#10 Scott Pendlebury

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 136, 137, 138  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaicosMagic Scorpio

1970 Grand Final Boundary Umpire

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:42 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Pendles will never be the dash and bounce type like Thomas, and that is why I like the kid. He's different, smooth, composed, 'laconical' but clean and efficient. He sets up play for others, and drills the goals that need to be kicked. Watching on TV does not give you an overall idea of the talent, because what may look like trotting on the wing at AAMI with no purpose is actually Pendles waiting for an option to kick to - good head on his shoulders. TV does not give you the up-the-ground shot to see he had nothing to kick to. The fact that he seems half-paced and rarely gets tackled at what, 19 years of age? Wow. As long as it doesn't get to his head.

Pendles and Priddis for Rising Star. Priddis has a brilliant team around him, like Headland did in 2002-03 when he looked like a champion. Pendles is a better talent overall.
Sachmojo 

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:50 am

God help us, how many games has he played again? Less than 20 i take it? And already getting on his back? What an f'ing joke.

Keep in mind that according to the latest champion data stats, he's currently our 5th best ranked player (albeit Didak was not included). And he's played less than 20 games.

I think this kind of effort merits praise and celebration, not criticism.
xtcc 

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:56 am

Couldnt agree more DaicosMagic i saw him live at Carrara early this year & i was sold pure class. He knows were to find the ball & how to use it 11 tackles also shows that his defence is solid wouldnt you say ?
KYPREO Virgo

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:59 am

DaicosMagic wrote:
Pendles and Priddis for Rising Star. Priddis has a brilliant team around him, like Headland did in 2002-03 when he looked like a champion. Pendles is a better talent overall.

Don't think Priddis is eligible.

Jace Virgo

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:17 am

Pendles is great. We have plenty of speed in other areas to make up for his smoothness. There is no point having 22 players the same. We need to have the right mix of speed, class, size & mongral. He compliments a number of other players & together they will be a super team in a few years (they are looking good now but they aren't there yet)
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:19 am

Would you prefer a player who's in 5th gear and doesn't have the ability to size up his options and make the correct decision? Scott uses his pace accordingly, he's a very smart young footballer. But yes, we do need to find a fault so we've got something to bag when things aren't going so well, so keep searching Rolling Eyes
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:22 am

Pharlap had only one gear.
uey 

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:41 am

frankiboy wrote:
Would you prefer a player who's in 5th gear and doesn't have the ability to size up his options and make the correct decision? Scott uses his pace accordingly, he's a very smart young footballer. But yes, we do need to find a fault so we've got something to bag when things aren't going so well, so keep searching Rolling Eyes

Pendles has one serious flaw and one area of improvement.

Serious Flaw: He needs to grow about another 40cm so he can compete with Sandilands.
Opportunity: Hasn't quite got the tank yet - his first halves this year are sensational for anyone in the competition. Seems to not be able to cover the same amount of yards in the 2nd half, but it won't be long.

Zakal 

One Game, One Club, One Jumper

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:42 am

Foot pace is one of the most overrated things in footy. Sure it looks good to see a guy like Rhyce grab the ball and run thru the middle.

But what is quicker...Rhyce (one of the fastest guys around) RUNNING it forward from HB...or someone like Bucks spearing a 60m pass from HB.

There isnt a footballer on earth who can beat a long pass, so if Pendles isnt overly pacey but has precision kicking skills, then he has no need for pace. Whats more, when he does his hammy a few times, or when he simply ages...HIS major asset will not be taken away from him. A player like Judd (still pretty good in other areas though Wink ), Davey etc pretty much rely on their ability to run and break away from their opponents to find space.

If i had to choose between precision kicking and footpace, i'd take precision kicking 9times out of 10.
Magpie Since 1986 

Traitor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:50 am

cfc2009-10-11-12 wrote:
I'm interested to know whether people think he may need to get a 2nd and 3rd gear to become exceptionally good...

He does not need a 2nd or 3rd gear. He will be exceptionally good without it. He is already cloes to exceptionally good. Give the kid a break, he is playing well beyond expectations for a second year player.
Magpie Since 1986 

Traitor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:55 am

KYPREO wrote:
Noticed he had 11 tackles on the weekend Shocked Highest in the AFL for Round 6.

I looked up this stat cause I thought it could not possibily be correct. According to the AFL site the most tackles for round 6 was 8 by Nathan Foley and Pendlebury had just 3 tackles. Where did you pull 11 from?
xtcc 

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:59 am

15 games & 1 pre season he is still a first year player in my eyes. How good is he going to be. SUPERSTAR 300 plus games & 15 year player.
cfc2009-10-11-12 

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:00 am

I wasnt taking a swipe at the kid, just interested to know what other people thought...
jimbeam 

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:10 am

Pendles is a freak, freaks dont have gears.
KYPREO Virgo

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:37 am

Magpie Since 1986 wrote:
KYPREO wrote:
Noticed he had 11 tackles on the weekend Shocked Highest in the AFL for Round 6.

I looked up this stat cause I thought it could not possibily be correct. According to the AFL site the most tackles for round 6 was 8 by Nathan Foley and Pendlebury had just 3 tackles. Where did you pull 11 from?

hmmm..in The Age sport section today. 11 tackles (effective 55% ie 6 effective)
They had Foley at 9 tackles (effective 67% ie 6 effective).

Matrix tackles perhaps?

EDIT: prostats has him at 11 (Age uses prostats rather than Champion Data): http://www.pro-stats.com.au/psw/web/player_profile?pid=2006043

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 136, 137, 138  Next
Page 46 of 138   

Jump to: