Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#2 Jordan De Goey

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 299, 300, 301  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkOSuv 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:23 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Bomber Thompson made some good points on 360. Said teams have to have trouble makers and players with some 'shit' in them. Said it is wrong of Buckley to assume every player is perfect off the field because a team of boring robots will never be successful.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:35 am

inxs88 wrote:
Lazza wrote:
Looks like the silly posters like inxs88 have all returned after months of relative peace on Nick's...... Razz
Bloody fair weather fans................... Evil or Very Mad

Fair weather?? Hmmm probably got more Pies battle scars from my unwavering support since 1977 than yourself Larry. My beef with Jackcass' opinions are that they perpetually geared around the "softly softly" approach to every Pie players on field and off field incapacities!

I still have scars from being at the "Greening game" in 1972 as a 14 year old kid.

This is not about silly comparisons about how long we have been around.

This is about challenging and confronting stupid comments made by Collingwood supporters who surely should know better.... Rolling Eyes

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:40 am

MarkOSuv wrote:
Bomber Thompson made some good points on 360. Said teams have to have trouble makers and players with some 'shit' in them. Said it is wrong of Buckley to assume every player is perfect off the field because a team of boring robots will never be successful.

There's no evidence that Bucks expects every player to be perfect. He applauded Swanny for "doing it his way", though he wouldn't advise other players to follow the same path. This crap put out by Bomber Thomson and others, suggesting that Bucks is an inflexible robot, devoid of compassion and emotional understanding of different players is pure crap. Sure it fits the caricature of Bucks, but I don't buy it. It's the view put out there by jealous individuals like Bomber Thomson whose career in football was ended by his involvement in the drugs fiasco. He is one bitter and twisted individual imo.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:41 am

Magpietothemax wrote:
I have been critical of Nathan Buckley last year, but I will definitely not criticize him for showing faith in his players. Trust, confidence and faith is absolutely essential as the foundation of team spirit. Cynicism and suspicion are highly corrosive and damaging for the cohesion that we need to achieve. I applaud Buckley for standing by his player. The deception reflects badly on Jordan De Goey alone. The fact that his coach was willing to support him publicly can only give confidence and solidarity to the team as a whole.

THIS is what I call blatant double standards on Nick's. I can only imagine the crap that would have gone on here if Buckley had said that De Goey was a bloody bullshit artist!! Shocked

Sometimes you just cant win or please everyone so you gotta please yourself and let the detractors go fly a kite or whatever they like to do besides constantly bloody sooking about Buckley Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:46 am

RudeBoy wrote:
MarkOSuv wrote:

There's no evidence that Bucks expects every player to be perfect. He applauded Swanny for "doing it his way", though he wouldn't advise other players to follow the same path. This crap put out by Bomber Thomson and others, suggesting that Bucks is an inflexible robot, devoid of compassion and emotional understanding of different players is pure crap. Sure it fits the caricature of Bucks, but I don't buy it. It's the view put out there by jealous individuals like Bomber Thomson whose career in football was ended by his involvement in the drugs fiasco. He is one bitter and twisted individual imo.

After I met Bomber at a local Sportsman's night fundraiser last year, he would be the very last person I would ever listen to. Read between the lines if you can but the best way I can put it is that he was most definitely not himself that night. Exclamation

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:11 am

It is worth noting what Peter Ryan said the other day about Bux.

"IT WAS on an end-of-season trip to the US to visit various NFL clubs and college football teams (New York Giants and San Francisco 49ers, and Oregon and Stanford universities) that a light bulb shone for the coach.

Buckley had flown out of Melbourne intending to fill the void left when Leading Teams parted ways with Collingwood at season's end. He had planned to run the 2017 leadership program himself.

The coach had even made a presentation outlining how it would operate and presented it to key decision-makers at the club.

However, during a week at the prestigious Stanford campus in Northern California, when he had full access to observe the school's football program, something changed.

He saw how a team with 105 student athletes on its list relied on delegation, how head coach David Shaw willingly – and by necessity – empowered his assistants and, importantly, his players.

Stanford director of football operations Matt Doyle, who spent time with Buckley and West Coast coach Adam Simpson, told AFL.com.au observations of the program's scope would have reinforced to Buckley that trust in the process of delegation was "essential".

As he sat in the halls of Stanford's state-of-the-art football department, Buckley began to shift his thinking on how Collingwood's leadership program needed to be managed.

He was aware feedback had come from players during the 2016 review that relationships between coaches and players had at times felt forced, an obligation, rather than a source of comfort.

Buckley decided then he would pass control of the leadership program to his players."

Clearly Peter was saying that for the last 5 years Bux was a control freak and wanted to micro manage everything. And the ball finally went in the hole at Standford.
Delegate more and micro manage less.
It took Bux 5 years to work out this basic management tool.
I don't think he is that smart.
I do believe he is the hardest worker around.
I don't think the players love him like Bevo is at the Dogs.
He has respect by most but not much love.
He is too driven to have those flawed but productive relationships which often work in a football club favor.
He reminds me of Greg Norman.
On the golf circuit some players like Steve B worked well with Norman, but others like Faldo couldn't relate at all with him.
Which is one of the reasons why Jordy couldn't come clean with the man.

Last edited by thompsoc on Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:45 am; edited 3 times in total
September Zeros 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:17 am

It's interesting that this thread has gone from a player getting into a fight , breaking his hand, lying to the club before bizarrely progressing to being about Buckley the robot. Agenda pushing much.

Keep drawing those long bows.

Just know that if Buckley is or isn't a robot, if he didn't believe degoeys story or if he did, if he didn't insist on good culture or if he did , if he micro managed too much or if he didn't ..... if Buckley is or isn't all the things we like to think - DeGoey would still miss a month of footy because of what DeGoey did to DeGoey.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:25 am

Bucks is certainly part of this deplorable situation but not the only one

Thought Geoff Walsh put the words quite clear when he said "gaining trust might take
two month's or even two years"
There are people in the organisation who mark things hard who may say "He hast lost me"

Eddie has been unusualy quiet about this but you can bet he would have given the kid a fierce ear full

But when he is out again playing its the 21 around him in the thick of battle who will need to trust him

Wonder how quick Wills can return or the Brown's Daic's or Kirby's can get to the ready for inclusion

Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:25 am

stui magpie wrote:
I'm not excusing it, I'm putting it in context.

Times change, expectations change, but the fact remains that apart from the lying his misbehaviour is on the mild end of the spectrum.

He has potential. If he doesn't realise it then that's his fault. But we should support him until it's time not to.

Reminds me of the time I went to Bali a few years back when the plane was scheduled to land back in Australia on the Saturday morning. There was a "Bridesgroom and best mates" party of about 10 or 12 booked on the same flight and he was getting married that Saturday.
The issue was that the flight home was delayed by 24 hours due to problems!! As hard as he tried, he could not get another plane back until the next day. The Wedding had to be postponed!!

What he did (go to Bali) wasn't wrong, just his timing leaving until the very last minute to return was wrong.

In De Goey's case, his timing just before round 1 was wrong.

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:34 am

September Zeros wrote:
It's interesting that this thread has gone from a player getting into a fight , breaking his hand, lying to the club before bizarrely progressing to being about Buckley the robot. Agenda pushing much.

Keep drawing those long bows.

Just know that if Buckley is or isn't a robot, if he didn't believe degoeys story or if he did, if he didn't insist on good culture or if he did , if he micro managed too much or if he didn't ..... if Buckley is or isn't all the things we like to think - DeGoey would still miss a month of footy because of what DeGoey did to DeGoey.

buck.jpg

it is called management September Zero.
President Truman got it right.

MarkOSuv 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:35 am

RudeBoy wrote:
MarkOSuv wrote:

Bomber is as relaxed as someone can possibly get. He just sold parts of land in Geelong and pocketed over $7 million. No one is doubting that Buckley has empathy devoid of compassion, he is a human and a parent after all.

The recent article by Peter Ryan on Buckley is excellent. It shows that a lot of intangible factors haven't come naturally for him and he is still learning to deal with these issues. There have always been knocks on Buckley and how he relates to footballers who aren't perfect since day 1 as a player. The recent De Goey case is a brilliant example as De Goey is wild off the field.

Jordan has a lot of talent and for some reason, in his 3rd year, he appears to be at the crossroads in his career. A range of factors including his approach offfield, the envrionment he is in and what influence Buckley has on him are all contributing factors to where he sits now.

I know Gubby through a mutual connection. At the end of last year, he sat down with every player to get a sense of the envrionment. The general view is the players don't mind Buckley but they don't love him unconditionally. That explains why some players like De Goey might be taking advantage of this dynamic.
September Zeros 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:45 am

That's all very amusing thinnsoc I'm sure - but the incident itself has absolutely and categorically nothing to do with anything Buckley, the queen, Jesus Or president Truman did or didn't do.

Keep pushing your barrow soc.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:48 am

September Zeros wrote:
That's all very amusing thinnsoc I'm sure - but the incident itself has absolutely and categorically nothing to do with anything Buckley, the queen, Jesus Or president Truman did or didn't do.

Well at least I didn't have Blair in the barrow on this one!
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:58 am

Yep. Just like my 18th. Was smack bang At the start of VCE exams. Did I have it on the first weekend possible? No. I waited until all exams (including my friends') were over. It's just common sense.

Amazed the club didn't know about his 21st birthday, and didn't step in to tell him to have it earlier or delay it. Maybe they did. Maybe that's why he didn't come clean straight away.

September Zeros 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:10 pm

thompsoc wrote:
September Zeros wrote:

Well at least I didn't have Blair in the barrow on this one!

Lol no true.... I'll pay that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 299, 300, 301  Next
Page 47 of 301   

Jump to: