Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The VICTORY experience

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:33 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

hermaphrodite
joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:42 pm

member34258 wrote:
Soccer have repositioned itself in Australia the only way it could, as a Summer sport. When they tried to go head to head with the AFL and NRL they were soundly beaten.
As a summer sport they will suffer from smaller crowds. Plenty of things to do in the summer time after all, but they do offer an alternative for footy starved fans.
Good luck to them.

I dont believe they are fair comments.

I follow AFL because i follow Collingwood in no way do i support Demetriou and the unfairness of the competition, i dont support the theory the tea drinking theatre goer should be the only person Demetriou and his clowns cater for...i believe the AFL has killed the passion on the field and has very sneakily killed the passion in the terraces.....

Standing with the lads at the northern end following Melbourne Victory is everything i believe in....passion passion passion....you can stand without being told by the basil bottlebrush security brigade to sit down...you can sing and chant and not be told to shut up.....it is how i remember AFL some years back.
I dont go to Melbourne Victory games because im AFL starved... i go to Melbourne Victory games because im allowed to be a fan im allowed for two hours to be part of an atmosphere which is deemed offensive by Demetriou and a lot af AFL followers...the northern end is wild passionate and very exciting but very controlled.

To suggest im only going to get some sort of cheap off season hit is quite offensive Cool

bazdaddy Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:32 pm

U can behave differently at the soccer, as opposed to AFL there is not alot going on for the majority of the game (although in recent times that has arguably been the case in AFL as well) you can stand and chant and sing and it can all be performed without missing out on much in the game.

However I do agree with you on Demetriou and how you love to show your passion thats what it is all about and good on you for it. The only thing I admire about soccer is the chanting and such, however it is a long way off toppling our great game of Australian Rules.

member34258 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:23 pm

Joffa, the question remains, would you even have seen a game of soccer if they went head to head with the AFL?
A few years ago Collingwood had it's own soccer team. Did you go to any of their games? The team failed through lack of support.
I am sorry that you took offense at my comments about off-season thrills, but those are my opinions and I will stand by them. I'm a strong believer that if soccer were to go head to head they would become marginalized, just like basketball did. Soccer australia appears to have the same opinion. Sorry for that.
As for passion in the game and crowd, I've noticed with interest the report in todays Sunday Herald Sun about the South Australian riot police being called to an A league game this week. Maybe the passion is becoming a problem.
bazdaddy Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:55 pm

member34258 wrote:
Joffa, the question remains, would you even have seen a game of soccer if they went head to head with the AFL?
A few years ago Collingwood had it's own soccer team. Did you go to any of their games? The team failed through lack of support.
I am sorry that you took offense at my comments about off-season thrills, but those are my opinions and I will stand by them. I'm a strong believer that if soccer were to go head to head they would become marginalized, just like basketball did. Soccer australia appears to have the same opinion. Sorry for that.
As for passion in the game and crowd, I've noticed with interest the report in todays Sunday Herald Sun about the South Australian riot police being called to an A league game this week. Maybe the passion is becoming a problem.
it's only a matter of time
joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:51 am

member34258 wrote:

Im not concerned about the report of some riot..seems to be a non event and i dont believe AFL fans can throw dirt at soccer fans re crowd behaviour..just walk up to jolimont staion after any collingwood game and you will see some classic running riots.

Twenty years ago if you had of suggested up to 45.000 people will see a soccer game in melbourne you would of been certified...maybe in another twenty years time soccer will go head to head with AFL...and dont laugh it maybe sooner.

Passion isnt a problem...its those who kill the passion that are the biggest problem Smile

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:33 am

member34258 wrote:

If the soccer went head to head with afl theni would go to the Collingwood games but any other games and i would be at the Victory games in a flash.

The only thing i love about the AFL is Collingwood. People like Andy D and the other 15 clubs can go and get stuffed as far as i am concerned.

Riot Police ? They must be over worked in Adelaide. But if the Sunday Herald Sun stated that then obviously its true.

jlc

black_bart 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:22 am

bazdaddy wrote:
it is a long way off toppling our great game of Australian Rules.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/football/sydney-silence-record-crowd/2006/12/09/1165081159599.html

An attendance record for club football in Australia was announced by the public address. The old mark wasn't simply erased, it was obliterated. The A-League's summit meeting attracted 50,333 fans to Docklands, a remarkable achievement. Astounding, in fact.

It was almost 8000 better than the old milestone, and a bigger crowd at the stadium than any AFL game of the past two years
joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:29 am

What a marvellous evening and in a way it was historical to be in Melbourne and be a part of the highest attendance at any Football match in Australia.
One can only hope the AFL heavyweights were in attendance to sort of check things out as any proper business organisation would and should, i hope they wore them red noses and black sunglasses as some sort of disguise outfit and stood up near the northern terrace and see why this sport has become so attractive and so popular...its called ' let them be passionate ' let them make noise ' let them be supporters......this might shock demetrioupoo and his three stooges look a like sidekicks...but this is what the masses are screaming for..in a sense they are saying leave us alone and leave the bloody rules alone.

The northern terrace once again last night exposed any AFL crowd i have ever seen.... it sort of reminds me of the platters greatest hit... the great pretender.

So 50.333 were in attendance on a warm friday night in melbourne in what was the loudest ever sporting event i've ever attended including our corporate driven grand finals for corporate people only..the noise level shat upon anything the AFL supporting cardboard cutouts could ever achieve.....and some people are saying this sport will not achieve...well hang on to your hats you vegemite munching trailer park bogans...last night this sport well and truly arrived in Melbourne slash Australia and i was proud as punch to be a part of it!!

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:13 am

i went and saw Elton John last night and caught the train home from Richmond Station. It was quite full and I didn't realise why until I saw some Victory hats, t-shirts, scarfs etc and then talking about the game.

The interesting thing i heard was .........it was a really really crap game of soccer.

And that's from all those that I could hear.

bucksisgod Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:21 am

joffa corfe wrote:
So 50.333 were in attendance on a warm friday night in melbourne in what was the loudest ever sporting event i've ever attended including our corporate driven grand finals for corporate people only..the noise level shat upon anything the AFL supporting cardboard cutouts could ever achieve.....and some people are saying this sport will not achieve...well hang on to your hats you vegemite munching trailer park bogans...last night this sport well and truly arrived in Melbourne slash Australia and i was proud as punch to be a part of it!!

I reclined this morning on the annex (Well, it's not really an annex, more like 4 Chep pallets covered by a blue tarp) of my 30 yr old caravan, listening to Khe Sahn, wearing my blue singlet and rubber thongs, eating my vegemite toast, running one hand through my mullet and the other over my beer gut with a Winnie Blue in my fingers. I wondered about a few things. Oblivious to the noise coming from Sharon's van next door(Six kids under the age of five, five different fathers) I ponder why you mention the terriffic atmosphere and goings on in the crowd, but no mention of the actual sporting contest. Without knowing the score( I was pissing on at Maccas BBQ last night, Great stuff, VB and snags, urinating in next doors yard, stole a VL Commodore for the ride home and parked it in Sharons driveway, hahaha) can you tell me the result after 90 odd minutes of play? Was it a seesawing goal fest that kept you rivoted to your seat? Could it compare to AC/DC's live concert DVD?( I stole it from Kmart, just gotta lift a player now and I'm set, Hmmm think they've got one three vans down Wink Bought the t shirt with my dole cheque though) Was it as exiting as a break and enter? A fast quarter mile time? A negative paternity test? Catch ya later Joff, the neighbours 3 vans down have just driven away and there's a window open......

Last edited by bucksisgod on Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:25 am

I often wonder about about a few things too. You had better contact the authorities.
~Madness~ Aries

...The Cat...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:11 am

From all reports, it sounded like a very boring game of football, but apparently the atmosphere was fantastic. I didn't go, and wouldn't ever go, as it just doesn't interest me, but it is fantastic that the crowd is packing out the Dome in summer. The thing is though, our games are vastly different. I always like the entertainment factor at the rugby league too, has 100 yards on AFL, but I think where the difference is, being Melbournians, the "entertainment" we get out of the AFL is the game itself.

Lots of scoring, lots of marking and generally an entertaining sport to watch. (Unless of course you are watching Richmond and carlton...lol)

In soccer, it seems to be the crowd thats entertaining, in league it is the pregame stuff and the hard hits.

For those of you who love the game of soccer, im sure you had an absolute blast last night, being part of a record crowd for that game in Aust. I'd be proud as punch walking around today having been part of it. Good onya's

As for where this thread should be. I think that is what the mods are here for. and frankly, who the hell cares where it is. jeez Ohhh but hang on, its who started it.

Gazza05 Capricorn

BRING ON SEASON 2010

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:00 am

Blah blah blah soccer.....
Lorelei Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:25 pm

While I think soccer is the most boring game around and you couldn't pay me to go to something like that and watch it Zzzzzzz I am soososososo happy about the crowd and the feeling about town about the Victory.

Because this is just what the AFL needs - a damn big wake up call. But they won't take notice and they never will. So I hope Victory continues to get bigger and better - shove it AFL for everything you have done to ruin our game. The crew at AFL house deserve everything they get with this - geez to thing... people actually want to go to a game to... CHEER... strange thing that eh?

**Craig Kelly**Craig Kelly**Craig Kelly**

Floreat Pica
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 6 of 13   

Jump to: