Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#31,#26 Ben Johnson

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:05 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicko wrote:
Collingwood will go nowhere with the midfield they’ve got. Look at our forward line, it is such a dangerous and potent line and should be one of the highest scoring in the league based purely on potential but with the way the ball is delivered to these guys the defenders are given half a chance which is usually all they need to create a contest and a spoil. We cant rely on tazz and rocca taking the big marks in the forward line, its not the 80s and that style of play wont win you games. Hopefully with the recruiting this year some of the kids are natural delivers of the ball and this in tandem with our work ethic and hopefully injury free season will see us contest for the 8. I don’t understand how any of the boys skill can improve all that much if you’ve been playing football since you are 8, training preaseason and playing professionally for how many years. how much room is there for improvement?

Id love to see us make the 8 but the 6 interstate teams are all guaranteed spots this year which leaves 2 for the Victorian clubs. Which you would pencil in stkilda and geelong for. Hopefully we give it a crack but we’re dreaming if we think we are better than them.

-The Angry Magpie

Again, all this is spot on. Its not rocket science. You can afford lica in the mids but you can't afford lica & johnno. Our turnovers kill us.

Without gun midfielders who can deliver you are relying on guts and pressure to win you every game - typical collingwood qualities - which unfortunately - honorable as they are - have lost us more grand finals than we have won. The elite teams combine guts with skill, which, like it or not, is a prime reason why Port did what we could not.

With some obvious exceptions like 90 and 05, the less skilled team usually loses GFs. Particularly if the more skilled team can equalise the guts factor on the day.

Make no mistake i think we are heading in the right direction, but we need to learn from the past.

Oh and congrats to tarkyn who by all accounts gave milne a bath. Maybe he has found his niche as a small forward tag.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:57 pm

I definitely agree Cam that the sooner some class disposal comes through the centre the better. Just the sight of Dids, Davis and Lonie around the middle was positive in that regard. If only they can start getting it 20 times a game....
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:02 pm

Quote:
Yep and the following players had Perfect Disposal and were definately not up to elite level either

Different era, sadly. Many of these blokes get munched up now by the technically perfect coaches. Look at Mark McGough (he was poor by foot, however).

But I hope there is room in the game for those with their own kicking styles/theroies.
die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:47 pm

Not at the speed the game is played now. Its going to be one body type for all positions in 5 years time if Dum-eat-me-poo gets his way.
~Madness~ Aries

...The Cat...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:49 pm

Albow wrote:
Just two names that were also in the average kick bracket
Gavin Brown
Micky McGuane

McGuane was a super effective kicker...don't tell me you watched one game where he was injected in the groin???

rand corp 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:00 pm

Haa Ha ha, who could ever forget that game, his groin injection hit a nerve, he could run but couldn't lift his leg to kick. First time he went to kick it on the run leg didn't lift and ball just rolled away, second time same again and the crowd groaned.

Third time he gets the ball and the outer at VP is screaming in unison 'HANDBALL IT FFS'!

Tried to kick it and you could hear him swearing at his leg as the ball just lazily rolled away. Went straight off the ground at about the 4 minute mark, end of his day.
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:02 pm

pietillidie wrote:
I definitely agree Cam that the sooner some class disposal comes through the centre the better. Just the sight of Dids, Davis and Lonie around the middle was positive in that regard. If only they can start getting it 20 times a game....

Definitely agree with all you guys. Dids Lones and Neon are our major hopes this year in the middle. It's early days yet as they need to learn and combine with each other and with Lika, Bux, Burnsyand Dutchy. There are good signs! I saw some good moments by all of them against the Saints. When the season comes around and everyone is serious team balance and strategies will play a major part in how MM plays them. I woul'nt be too worried if they don't have 20 posessions a game but that they play their role as effective as possible. Daisy impressed me and fingers crossed is goig to be great for us even if johnno was sloppy with his disposal his terrior qualities are still there and with the season his disposal will only improve. Id say most players on both sides made some mistakes in one way or another.
RayByrneForPOPE Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:07 pm

Ben Johnsons kicking makes Billy Picken look like Bernie Quinlan!
AFL_Record Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:26 pm

Ben Johnson's kicking action is awkward, Therefore, He doesn't give himself maximum opportunity to hit his fellow teammate 'lace-out' on the chest. Most of the time it is effective, Though.
Albow Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:25 pm

[quote="~Madness~"][quote="Albow"]Just two names that were also in the average kick bracket
Gavin Brown
Micky McGuane[/quote]

McGuane was a super effective kicker...don't tell me you watched one game where he was injected in the groin???[/quote]

Now I know why your nicknamed Madness................
I said average kick not fall over yourself terrible.
Mick in his prime was a fantastic player, my favorite at the time, was no great kicker of the football.

Cuthbert Collingwood Aquarius

Once was on fire, now all at sea

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:12 am

hmmmmm......methinks Johnno poor stylist but alright kick
early career badness let him down
confidence grows him, injury stunts him - it's all cyclic to me dears
the sage tells me his talent will endure, but your heart will always stay in your mouth when his foot touches the ball Shocked Shocked Shocked

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:15 am

Are you still located in it?
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:57 am

Albow wrote:
Just two names that were also in the average kick bracket
Gavin Brown
Micky McGuane

From what I saw of them (I saw plenty of Rowdy), they weren't that bad by foot. In the reliable catagory. Brown was a very good kick for goal.
Cuthbert Collingwood Aquarius

Once was on fire, now all at sea

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:15 am

brown and mcguane certainly didn't have a bad rep by foot - left that to manson and shaw. Brown and mcguane were very creative playmakers, a pleasure to watch week in week out.
daicos from the boundry 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:48 pm

Johnstons kicking is just as poor on the training track.Thought heres one guy the would have work hard on it over the preseason changed his style completely.People bagging Gavin Browns skills I thought he is the skills coach.hhhmmmm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 6 of 30   

Jump to: