Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What are you listening to right now?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 111, 112, 113  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter Griffin 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:21 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Steal This Album - System of a Down

Music for the Jilted Generation - The Prodigy

The Best of Faith No More

Yeah ok, it's nothing new but so what?

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:42 pm

Still listening to Gareth Liddiard. Do yourself a favour and check him out, I love his work.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:48 pm

Which Beatles song is your favourite?
David Libra

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:53 pm

My brother's starting to pick up a few gigs here in Melbourne and up in Newcastle with his experimental music. Not sure it's my thing, but there's no doubt he's good at what he does:

http://paulheslin.com.au

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:02 am

MG, you will recognise the song Maxy sang to GivesmetheKoschitskes just before the bounce in the GF rematch:

"Let me tell you how it will be: one touch for you, 19 for me,
'Cause I'm the Backman, yeah I'm the Backman...."

On a more useful note, for anyone who may be interested, I bought a Rolling Stone special issue mag at the newsagent on the weekend on the Beatles' "100 Greatest songs". I don't normally buy magazines and I haven't read Rolling Stone since it gave a poor review to Cheap Thrills in 1968. But this book is a fantastic read (although I disagree with the list and the order in which the mag ranks many of the songs) and has great photos. A bit like "Cakewalk", really.

I can never decide which is my favourite Beatles' song. My daughter insists that "I'm Looking Through You" (from Rubber Soul) is the best by miles. I don't think it made Rolling Stone's "top 100" but then again neither did George's "The Inner Light", which is one of my personal favourites (B-side of "Lady Madonna", I think).
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:26 pm

ministry of sound - the annual 2011. sounds awfully alot like stuff from the early 90s. have things come full circle.
sharrod_theiceman Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:43 am

I've been in a bit of an indie/alt rock phase at the moment. These are the albums that i've had on high rotation.

Titus Andronicus - The Monitor (angry american "punks" with a strange springsteen influence)
My pick/Track to download: A more perfect union

The Radio Dept. - Clinging to a Scheme (poppy electronic/indie, only 34 mins long but a great album)
My pick/Track to download: Heavens on fire

Harlem - Hippies (an album that seems like it's 40 odd years late, only small doses of this for me though)
My pick/Track to download: Tila and I

Free Energy - Stuck on Nothing (a great simple pop/indie album)
My pick/Track to download: Dream City

Spoon - Transference (probably the odd album out here, a bit bluesy, off beat a sort of organised chaos)
My pick/Track to download: Written in reverse/got nuffin

A few others in the rotation from other genres

Michael Franti & Spearhead - Sound of Sunshine (typical Franti release, will be on high rotation during summer)
My pick/Track to download: The Thing that helps me get trough

John Legend & The Roots - Wake Up! (put the voice of john legend together with the producing skills of the roots, great album)
My pick/Track to download:Our Generation

Christian Scott - Yesterday You Said Tomorrow (new orleans jazz album, the guy is only 26 and has already got some great stuff out there)
My pick/Track to download: none really, listen to it as an album

Them Crooked Vultures - Them Crooked Vultures
(dave grohl from the foo fighters and josh homme from queens of the stone age together)
My pick/Track to download: Mind eraser, no chaser

Tim Buckley - Greetings from L.A
(and oldie but a goodie, classic album.)
My pick/Track to download: Get on top:

Greenday - Dookie (see above)
My pick/Track to download: Longview

David Libra

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:35 pm

David wrote:
My brother's starting to pick up a few gigs here in Melbourne and up in Newcastle with his experimental music. Not sure it's my thing, but there's no doubt he's good at what he does:

http://paulheslin.com.au

Can I just plug this again? This album is amazing. And I'm not just saying that. Razz

http://lifeisnoise.com/2011/02/12/paul-heslin-rubbernecker/

Yarra Falls End 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:43 am

Don't listen to much new music nowadays but like the folky sounds of Mumford and Sons.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:38 pm

Yarra Falls End wrote:
Don't listen to much new music nowadays but like the folky sounds of Mumford and Sons.

You might like some of these guys stuff. The recordings are a little dated, I've seen them live recently and they kick arse. My cuz is their new bass player.

http://www.youtube.com/user/betweenthewarsau

Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:07 pm

The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra playing Queen.

Excellent backing tracks to practice my soloing over. Well, for a start, no Brian May to compete with. Smile

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:51 pm

Bought 2 CD's today:

Supertramp: "Crime of the Century" brilliant album. I have it on LP vinyl but don't use the turntable as much as I would like these days.

James Brown A collection of his tracks on CD.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:21 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Bought 2 CD's today:

Supertramp: "Crime of the Century" brilliant album. I have it on LP vinyl but don't use the turntable as much as I would like these days.

James Brown A collection of his tracks on CD.

WPT,what it is that you like about (a)? This is not a put-down - I am genuinely asking, so feel free to "wax lyrical". I never took to Supertramp - but then I remember being grumpy that decade and it may be time to re-evaluate them.

As for me, this very instant it's Song with Orange from "Mingus Dynasty" by Charles Mingus.

This morning, it was "Leon Russell and the Shelter People". Since Leon is coming out to Australia (without Elton John, thank God) in April and it is the 40th anniversary of the recording of the last bunch of tracks on this splendid album, I have been annoying much of inner-Melbourne with it this morning. I love Of Thee I Sing. Leon's gospel piano was never hotter than this, Carl Radle's bass is as driving as it ever was and Leon's vocals are, as usual, barely listenable. Smile But the real stars are Claudia Lennear and Kathi McDonald doing the "backing" vocals. For anyone interested (no, I fully appreciate that no-one reads this thread), Claudia was one of the "Raelettes" (Ray Charles' soul backing singers), at one time, but Leon signed her up around the time of the "Mad Dogs & Englishmen" Tour (you may remember her splendid, typically quirky, Leon arrangement of Let It Be in the film) and she stayed on with him for his first couple of solo albums. Kathi McDonald is one of the great unsung blues shouters (I mean that in the strict sense, not as a criticism) of the second half of the 20th Century. If you can get hold of it, her 1974 album "Insane Asylum" is a gem (brilliant covers of "To Love Somebody", with the Pointers before they went disco, and Insane Asylum, with Sly Stone, and some great session players - Aynsley Dunbar, Nils Lofgren, Ronnie Montrose, John Cippolina and Ronnie Montrose). Chris Wilson, if you read this, you can have your copy of "Insane Asylum" back when you return my copy of "Thirty Seconds Over Winterland".
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:21 am

^^ They are not my favourite band let me say that from the outset. I like a wide & eclectic range of music. Over the last 20 yrs or so its been mostly blues, Dr John, Prof Longhair, Mose Alison, Jimmy Smith, Frank Zappa, Pat Metheny Band, David Bromberg band, Talking Heads, Brian Eno, 801, Stomu Yomashta, Chris Hinze, Dinah Washington, the Nylons the list goes on...etc.

However there are some brilliantly produced albums that sound so good on the turntable. I've got a modern valve amp & when that warms up the sound of some albums over others makes it quite magical to the senses. These albums include but not confined to:

Joni Mitchells "Blue"
Genesis Live
Crime of the Century
Ricky Lee Jones's self titled Album

As for Crime of the Century I like the vocals, 12 string guitar, piano, clarinet & organ rather than synthesizer - particularly for side two of the album. This climaxes with the last song the title track - beautiful guitar work, emotional in that it it has brought me to tears on a good few occasions

Supertamp is not one of my favourite bands per se, their other Albums are not as good compared to this - but this album is brilliant - a really good combination of voice, lyric, guitar, piano etc. Basically it just sounds great & strikes an emotional chord with me!

I'd just spent money on my daughters car getting the pre existing car audio reparied ( another story) but the sound system is brilliant for her 1993 Honda (previously owned by an audiophile). So I've been driving it & thought Crime of the Century would sound so good on her classy system!

I was listening to Chris Wilson on 3 RRR being interviewd last saturday morning (even though I'm a PBS subsrciber).

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:34 am

Thanks, WPT. I'll give the Supertramp a listen - you make a persuasive case for it.

And the Dr and the Professor at the head of a great list! Love their work. And on "Crawfish Fiesta", the pair of them together in actual hi-fi.

Funny you mention Jimmy Smith. I was listening to "The Sermon" recently. The Hammond - a very special sound: almost big enough on that album to match Lee Morgan's trumpet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 111, 112, 113  Next
Page 6 of 113   

Jump to: