Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Jumping the queue

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which illegal immigrant policy is the least worst?
Abbott's
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Howard's
16%
 16%  [ 3 ]
Gillard's
38%
 38%  [ 7 ]
Rudd's
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Brown's
33%
 33%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 18

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:32 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw. Perhaps I would. Surely there are a few exceptions. I can enjoy almost any conversation. ""? Above all I'm asking what we are afraid of? Thanks for pointing no difference but he or she was proud of that out. Compare that to below all he or she'm asking what we are afraid of.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:10 am

I agree that "freeloaders" is not an appropriate term to use. It is reasonable to assume that the vast majority of immigrants to Australia from the relatively poor countries we are discussing here are willing to work hard to earn a keep. This makes a nonsense of the term "freeloader". Most immigrants from these places can expect to acquire significantly greater wealth here than they could aspire to in their country of origin. An unfortunate side effect of this fact is the confusion it causes: are people coming here to get rich? Or are they coming here to escape persecution? There is no simple answer, no generalisation will cover all or even most of the cases, and it is worth noting that some arrivals have given up considerable wealth and social standing in their home country to start again with almost nothing. Equally, the relative wealth of this country makes us a prime target for foreigners on the make, a nice, fat, soft target for people willing to lie, cheat, steal, or do whatever it takes to get in. Only a complete fool would deny that this is a significant factor in arrivals on our shores - but one would need to be equally blind in the other eye in order to pretend that it is by any means the only factor.

Pied Piper, continuing his not-so-subtle smear campaign against all who disagree with his position, claims that he is seeing "a lack of willingness/ability to put ourselves in the shoes of others". Nonsense. What he is seeing, at least for my part, is a lack of willingness to identify with the most visible part of the problem at the expense of the vastly larger and more significant main part of the problem; a lack of willingness to see only the (predominantly well-off, educated, middle-class) people who can afford to buy a passage to Indonesia and stump up the money for the people smuggler - $3000 and up is the amount usually quoted, a vast sum in many countries - and to not see the teeming thousands upon thousands of people who are in every bit as much danger at home, are every bit as deserving of our help, and who do not have the resources to help themselves.

Let us return to some common ground for a moment:

Pied Piper wrote:
Let's say you and your wife and child are forced to flee your homeland, due to the ravages of war, or through persecution on account of your religion or political beliefs. You leave behind everything you have ever known, including members of your extended family and all your friends.

You seek refuge over the border, shunted into a makeshift camp with maybe 10s of thousands of other benighted souls. You know that this country is only a temporary refuge, with no means to permanently resettle you in any real community. You are essentially stateless. And you have no way of knowing how long you are going to be in that situation.

There is no school for your child to attend, no employment, and no hope. You are dependent on the charity of others just to stay fed and clothed. If you have the means - any means - to escape that situation, you will take it. And you will take terrible risks to do it. Of course you would. Anyone would.

Thus far, Pied Piper and I agree. (And also some others in this thread, but PP is the most persistent and articulate one, so I will stay with him as my example.) He believes that we should help some of these people - not all, because helping all is impossible. He acknowledges and claims to agree with my point that we cannot help all, that we must have a quota of some kind because just allowing everyone who wants to come here to arrive would very quickly result in Australia becoming as poor and as overpopulated as the countries they are coming from, and shortly afterwards, just as torn by war and despotism and disease and starvation. (For it is lack of sufficient resources to go round that is the root cause of nearly all major conflict. Note: not all conflict - religious and other similar idiocy plays its evil part as well - but most conflict is, at root, a matter of fighting over resources.)

Still we agree. And we would even agree, given that there is no possible alternative view within the bounds of sense and rationality, that if we have a refugee quota (as we have, and as we have both agreed we must have), then we must equally have some way of selecting which refugees we take.

Let me repeat for the sake of clarity:

1. PP and I agree that there are millions of refugees.
  2. We agree that Australia cannot possibly take everyone who wants to come here.
  3. In consequence, we also agree that we must choose who we take.

Given (1) and (2), it is impossible not to accept (3).

But from this point on, Pied Piper and I diverge. PP's posts make it perfectly clear that he favours one particular method of selecting refugees, I have not specified a method, although I have clearly rejected PP's method. PP proposes that we select our refugees by taking all those who are wealthy enough and lucky enough and well-connected enough to be able to afford a passage to Indonesia and $3000+ for a ticket with a smuggler. Then, if there are any places left over in our quota, I presume he supports the idea of taking other, less wealthy and well-connected, refugees by some other selection process. This last is just my guess about his views - he may wish to say otherwise.

I, on the other hand, explicitly reject selection by wealth (which is what taking the boat people amounts to). I am not sure what criteria to put forward, indeed, I am not confident that there is any right answer - but I am absolutely sure that simply taking the richest ones is wrong. Whatever we do so far as taking refugees goes, it must, repeat must, be as fair as we can make it. This business of only taking the ones who manage to sneak into or close to the country must stop - a bloody lottery would be fairer than that.

There is an added benefit to point-blank refusing to take people who try to jump the queue. As soon as the word gets around, they will stop trying. If they know that turning up in a boat will guarantee them a refusal, they won't try to game the system anymore, and they won't risk their lives anymore. If Australia's governments had dealt with the problem correctly in the first place - by refusing to take the illegals - then none of the people Pied Piper wrote about would have died in that shipwreck.

What we are seeing here is a classic example of the lawyer's proverb: "hard cases make bad law". It is a general rule that applies in many fields, but is particularly relevant in this one Look, for example, at the gross distortion of the rule that PP and Pietilidie keep quoting, the one that talks about people fleeing "directly". When I pointed out that it isn't just far-fetched to believe in a boat person arriving here direct from land-locked Afganistan, it is in fact entirely impossible, we just went into another round of spouting legalese, of bending interpretations way past breaking point because not to do so would result in hardship, heartbreak, and worse in particular individual cases.

We see the same thing in our various government policies: politicians (who ought to know better) see the heartbreak in front of them and this blinds them to the much bigger heartbreak that is conveniently out of sight, in a refugee camp, perhaps. They get so carried away with the obvious problem, the one that the TV camera is pointing at, that they lose the ability to think coolly and rationally about the situation as a whole. In doing this, they cause great harm. They do a little good to the lucky few who had the connections and the money to sneak into the country, but they do immense harm to the many, many more who cannot get here on a boat or on a tourist visa.

Let's think about the real problem now.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:12 am

Pied Piper wrote:
Referring to people as "freeloaders" serves only to dehumanise people in genuine need. What I am seeing in this thread is a lack of willingness/ability to put ourselves in the shoes of others.

Above all, I'm asking what we are afraid of.

Great post as usual PP. Remarkable set of circumstances for you. Did Peter Reith invite you over for a cuppa?

And while acknowledgeing this was not the intent of what you posted, have you written this up as a story before? The trials & tribulations of a humble ornithologist!!

Looks like you got preyed upon by the vultures of Canberra!

Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:16 am

watt price tully, yes as stated the story appeared in The Age and the SMH. I may write a new version of that post for a follow-up I think.

Tannin, I'm confused. I don't know why you keep trying to distort my argument into something it's not. I will reply to you at greater length separately.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:16 am

^ Dare I point out that vultures don't, as a rule, eat birds? Hobbies and goshawks and Peregrine Falcons eat birds. Vultures eat .... oh. OK. Then I won't point it out.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:19 am

PP, you don't need to reply at even greater length if I am in fact "distorting your argument", you need to reply with some clarity - for I have done my level best to report the relevant parts of your argument as exactly as I can.

What, exactly, is your problem with my post? Where do you believe I have "distorted" what you have said?
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:23 am

Oh, you will doubtless object to my characterisation of your "smear campaign". Don't bother trying to clarify that bit. Just take it as read that I am getting a bit tired of arguing what I believe to be a much fairer, more ethical policy in this thread, only to see my opponents constantly laying claim to ownership of the high moral ground. It gets old.
Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:39 am

Tannin wrote:
Pied Piper, continuing his not-so-subtle smear campaign against all who disagree with his position, claims that he is seeing "a lack of willingness/ability to put ourselves in the shoes of others". Nonsense.

No, it's not a smear campaign. The lack of ability to walk in someone else's shoes is a depressingly human condition, of which I myself am as prone to at times as the next person. I am genuinely interested in why Australians are so anxious (as our prime minister acknowledges) about what amounts to a trivial number of people who have reached our shores seeking asylum - anxieties that compel our politicians to betray our better selves by locking them and their children behind razor wire for years at a time.

I'm not sure what other "smears" you are referring to to make this a campaign; that's unfair in my view. I've been involved in many far more heated threads on this forum in the past, and it's out of my respect for you personally (since you started this thread, quoting a post of mine) I've done my best not to let emotion or temper get the better of me.

Tannin wrote:
What he is seeing, at least for my part, is a lack of willingness to identify with the most visible part of the problem at the expense of the vastly larger and more significant main part of the problem; a lack of willingness to see only the (predominantly well-off, educated, middle-class) people who can afford to buy a passage to Indonesia and stump up the money for the people smuggler - $3000 and up is the amount usually quoted, a vast sum in many countries - and to not see the teeming thousands upon thousands of people who are in every bit as much danger at home, are every bit as deserving of our help, and who do not have the resources to help themselves.

No, of course I can see the dimensions of the problem, which is insoluble in many ways; we can only choose the least worst solution. However, as I have stated previously, a refugee is a refugee is a refugee regardless of their economic status. A genuine refugee who pays a people-smuggler (and remember, the vast majority of boat arrivals are deemed genuine refugees, unlike many plane arrivals) should not be penalised on account of economic status for doing what anyone else would do under the same circumstances.

Tannin wrote:
Still we agree. And we would even agree, given that there is no possible alternative view within the bounds of sense and rationality, that if we have a refugee quota (as we have, and as we have both agreed we must have), then we must equally have some way of selecting which refugees we take.

Thank you for acknowledging this. Earlier, you wrote I favoured "open slather" - that was a clear misrepresentation of my views on your part.

Tannin wrote:
PP proposes that we select our refugees by taking all those who are wealthy enough and lucky enough and well-connected enough to be able to afford a passage to Indonesia and $3000+ for a ticket with a smuggler. Then, if there are any places left over in our quota, I presume he supports the idea of taking other, less wealthy and well-connected, refugees by some other selection process. This last is just my guess about his views - he may wish to say otherwise.

I do indeed. Once again, you are misrepresenting me, and you're not doing too badly yourself in the smear stakes! Of course I am not suggesting that we "select" the richest refugees. If asylum seekers are classed as genuine refugees, then they are automatically granted asylum under the 1951 Refugee Convention. Of course, Australia could choose to pull out of the convention. However, I hasten to add that such a move would put us in dubious company indeed.

As stated earlier, we have a quota of 12,000 refugees per year. This is extremely small relative to other developed nations who receive far greater numbers than we do. The way the quota works is this: for each person who is granted asylum after arriving on our shores, a place is taken away from those offshore. That might seem unfair, but very little is fair in this world, and what's also unfair is to penalise traumatised people who have risked their lives to reach our shores. If they are seeking asylum, it is their right under the convention to have their cases heard swiftly.

Last edited by Pied Piper on Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:50 am

Tannin wrote:
Oh, you will doubtless object to my characterisation of your "smear campaign". Don't bother trying to clarify that bit. Just take it as read that I am getting a bit tired of arguing what I believe to be a much fairer, more ethical policy in this thread, only to see my opponents constantly laying claim to ownership of the high moral ground. It gets old.

I don't doubt that you think your policy of sending back boats from whence they came is fairer and more ethical to those still sitting in camps. I disagree with that view, but I don't doubt that you are sincere in it. I am trying as best I can to argue a case against it.

Nor am I claiming the high moral ground as you say. The "smear campaign" you accuse me of engaging in here is not the case, and I will try to clarify it because I'm a little upset at the accusation - you should know I've got more respect for you as a person and a poster than that. So I hope you can see that I equally sincerely believe that we owe a duty of care to people who flee desperate circumstances, and there's no need to query my motivations.

This isn't personal Tannin, it's not about you and me, so let's not drag it down to that level. It's just a robust difference of opinion on a very difficult humanitarian issue.

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:30 am

Tannin wrote:
I agree that "freeloaders" is not an appropriate term to use. It is reasonable to assume that the vast majority of immigrants to Australia from the relatively poor countries we are discussing here are willing to work hard to earn a keep. This makes a nonsense of the term "freeloader". Most immigrants from these places can expect to acquire significantly greater wealth here than they could aspire to in their country of origin. An unfortunate side effect of this fact is the confusion it causes: are people coming here to get rich? Or are they coming here to escape persecution? There is no simple answer, no generalisation will cover all or even most of the cases, and it is worth noting that some arrivals have given up considerable wealth and social standing in their home country to start again with almost nothing. Equally, the relative wealth of this country makes us a prime target for foreigners on the make, a nice, fat, soft target for people willing to lie, cheat, steal, or do whatever it takes to get in. Only a complete fool would deny that this is a significant factor in arrivals on our shores - but one would need to be equally blind in the other eye in order to pretend that it is by any means the only factor.

Pied Piper, continuing his not-so-subtle smear campaign against all who disagree with his position, claims that he is seeing "a lack of willingness/ability to put ourselves in the shoes of others". Nonsense. What he is seeing, at least for my part, is a lack of willingness to identify with the most visible part of the problem at the expense of the vastly larger and more significant main part of the problem; a lack of willingness to see only the (predominantly well-off, educated, middle-class) people who can afford to buy a passage to Indonesia and stump up the money for the people smuggler - $3000 and up is the amount usually quoted, a vast sum in many countries - and to not see the teeming thousands upon thousands of people who are in every bit as much danger at home, are every bit as deserving of our help, and who do not have the resources to help themselves.

Let us return to some common ground for a moment:

Pied Piper wrote:
Let's say you and your wife and child are forced to flee your homeland, due to the ravages of war, or through persecution on account of your religion or political beliefs. You leave behind everything you have ever known, including members of your extended family and all your friends.

You seek refuge over the border, shunted into a makeshift camp with maybe 10s of thousands of other benighted souls. You know that this country is only a temporary refuge, with no means to permanently resettle you in any real community. You are essentially stateless. And you have no way of knowing how long you are going to be in that situation.

There is no school for your child to attend, no employment, and no hope. You are dependent on the charity of others just to stay fed and clothed. If you have the means - any means - to escape that situation, you will take it. And you will take terrible risks to do it. Of course you would. Anyone would.

Thus far, Pied Piper and I agree. (And also some others in this thread, but PP is the most persistent and articulate one, so I will stay with him as my example.) He believes that we should help some of these people - not all, because helping all is impossible. He acknowledges and claims to agree with my point that we cannot help all, that we must have a quota of some kind because just allowing everyone who wants to come here to arrive would very quickly result in Australia becoming as poor and as overpopulated as the countries they are coming from, and shortly afterwards, just as torn by war and despotism and disease and starvation. (For it is lack of sufficient resources to go round that is the root cause of nearly all major conflict. Note: not all conflict - religious and other similar idiocy plays its evil part as well - but most conflict is, at root, a matter of fighting over resources.)

Let me repeat for the sake of clarity:

1. PP and I agree that there are millions of refugees.
  2. We agree that Australia cannot possibly take everyone who wants to come here.
  3. In consequence, we also agree that we must choose who we take.

Given (1) and (2), it is impossible not to accept (3).

But from this point on, Pied Piper and I diverge. PP's posts make it perfectly clear that he favours one particular method of selecting refugees, I have not specified a method, although I have clearly rejected PP's method. PP proposes that we select our refugees by taking all those who are wealthy enough and lucky enough and well-connected enough to be able to afford a passage to Indonesia and $3000+ for a ticket with a smuggler. Then, if there are any places left over in our quota, I presume he supports the idea of taking other, less wealthy and well-connected, refugees by some other selection process. This last is just my guess about his views - he may wish to say otherwise.

I, on the other hand, explicitly reject selection by wealth (which is what taking the boat people amounts to). I am not sure what criteria to put forward, indeed, I am not confident that there is any right answer - but I am absolutely sure that simply taking the richest ones is wrong. Whatever we do so far as taking refugees goes, it must, repeat must, be as fair as we can make it. This business of only taking the ones who manage to sneak into or close to the country must stop - a bloody lottery would be fairer than that.

There is an added benefit to point-blank refusing to take people who try to jump the queue. As soon as the word gets around, they will stop trying. If they know that turning up in a boat will guarantee them a refusal, they won't try to game the system anymore, and they won't risk their lives anymore. If Australia's governments had dealt with the problem correctly in the first place - by refusing to take the illegals - then none of the people Pied Piper wrote about would have died in that shipwreck.

What we are seeing here is a classic example of the lawyer's proverb: "hard cases make bad law". It is a general rule that applies in many fields, but is particularly relevant in this one Look, for example, at the gross distortion of the rule that PP and Pietilidie keep quoting, the one that talks about people fleeing "directly". When I pointed out that it isn't just far-fetched to believe in a boat person arriving here direct from land-locked Afganistan, it is in fact entirely impossible, we just went into another round of spouting legalese, of bending interpretations way past breaking point because not to do so would result in hardship, heartbreak, and worse in particular individual cases.

We see the same thing in our various government policies: politicians (who ought to know better) see the heartbreak in front of them and this blinds them to the much bigger heartbreak that is conveniently out of sight, in a refugee camp, perhaps. They get so carried away with the obvious problem, the one that the TV camera is pointing at, that they lose the ability to think coolly and rationally about the situation as a whole. In doing this, they cause great harm. They do a little good to the lucky few who had the connections and the money to sneak into the country, but they do immense harm to the many, many more who cannot get here on a boat or on a tourist visa.

Let's think about the real problem now.

This is a very well-argued point, I have to confess - I find little to disagree with.

Pied Piper wrote:
As stated earlier, we have a quota of 12,000 refugees per year. This is extremely small relative to other developed nations who receive far greater numbers than we do. The way the quota works is this: for each person who is granted asylum after arriving on our shores, a place is taken away from those offshore. That might seem unfair, but very little is fair in this world, and what's also unfair is to penalise traumatised people who have risked their lives to reach our shores. If they are seeking asylum, it is their right under the convention to have their cases heard swiftly.

PP, forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't this something of a 'god helps those who help themselves' approach?

I think Tannin's points about deterrence are significant here. While I find the idea of sending boats back (ala Howard) to be troubling to the extreme (particularly in regards to the story you were involved in and others I just read about in wikipedia), the point is clear: strongly enforced laws in this regard will definitely have an effect on the number of people trying to enter Australia through such dangerous means. If you support the existence of a law, then you must support the enforcement of that law; otherwise, it may as well not exist.

I do, however, believe that Australia should raise the quota. Whatever idiots with xenophobic bumper stickers would have us believe, Australia is a long way from being 'full'. I also find it sickening that both major parties are making use of this issue so duplicitously.

Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:00 am

David wrote:
I think Tannin's points about deterrence are significant here. While I find the idea of sending boats back (ala Howard) to be troubling to the extreme (particularly in regards to the story you were involved in and others I just read about in wikipedia), the point is clear: strongly enforced laws in this regard will definitely have an effect on the number of people trying to enter Australia through such dangerous means. If you support the existence of a law, then you must support the enforcement of that law; otherwise, it may as well not exist.

There are two problems with this argument, David: (1) asylum seekers are not breaking any law by seeking asylum on our shores;

AND (2) Australia is itself in breach of various international laws and treaties in its behaviour - namely, (a) the International Laws of the Sea (in particular, sending unseaworthy boats back to water; not docking people in distress at the nearest port); (b) the 1951 Refugee Convention cited earlier; (c) the legal convention of habeas corpus, which relates to unlawful detention without trial; and (d) the International Convention on the Rights of the Child.

There is no easy solution to stopping desperate people from employing whatever means are at their disposal to get to Australia. However, punishing them for doing exactly what you or I would in all likelihood would do under the same circumstances does not actually punish people smugglers.

What I am arguing is that we keep the scope of the problem in its proper perspective to do the best we can. Of course, I accept that not everyone will agree on what "the best we can" is; however, making changes to our laws domestically (usually for the sake of political advantage, particularly in the run-up to an election) may put us in breach of our obligations internationally.

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:45 am

Quote:
However, punishing them for doing exactly what you or I would in all likelihood would do under the same circumstances does not actually punish people smugglers.

Perhaps not directly, but it removes some of their future livelihood by removing a major destination off the list. Refugees are desperate, but they aren't stupid - if they know that a country isn't going to accept them by boat, they'll either try to find another country that will or attempt to get here by other means. It's difficult to support these arguments, because these are many people's lives we're talking about, people deprived of the basic rights that we here in the west take so much for granted; nevertheless, I believe the deterrence argument is a strong one.

If there is no Australian law regarding boat arrivals, then perhaps the next question is whether there should be. If this goes as far to suggest that we break certain treaties, then we as a nation may have to face the consequences of doing so. Of course, if these humanitarian treaties needed to be broken for a law to be passed, that would be a grave concern that would need to be addressed carefully and thoughtfully - however, whatever else I might think of our current Government, I trust that they would be trying their utmost to achieve the ideal solution to this.

While it may seem perverse to punish people who, as you say, are only doing what I or you would do in the same situation, I think it's important to view law in a wider context. Law is not about morality or punishing evil people; it is about keeping society functional through law (and its necessary enforcement, which usually takes the form of 'punishment'). It is actually my fundamental belief in empathy and humanism that leads me to this conclusion, as paradoxical as it might seem. As we cannot open our borders indiscriminately, there must (it seems, in this case) be a quota of some sort; if there must be a quota, that quota must be enforced; therefore, if the quota must be enforced, there must be some sort of punishment reserved (primarily acting as a deterrent) that ensures that the law is upheld. In this case, I think Tannin is correct: not accepting boat arrivals is probably the only effective way of maintaining this law, and if we do not maintain it, we unfairly diminish our intake of refugee intake through the so-called 'legitimate' means. I'm not sure that I can see any way around this.

London Dave Aquarius

Jete jedna pivo prosm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:54 am

Excellent article.......

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/catch-and-skill-our-own-20100712-107y4.html

Quote:
One of the fears you hear in the debate over asylum seekers is that Australia is being flooded by refugees. Well, fear not. Australia is being flooded by new arrivals - but they're not refugees.

The people flooding into Australia are primarily foreign workers, being recruited here to fill skills shortages. Why? Because it's cheaper to bring in foreign workers who already have skills than to train our own.

Last year 508,000 people arrived to live in Australia as permanent residents, temporary workers or students. Just over 13,000 of them were refugees, or about one in 40. Even if all the asylum seekers arriving by boat were counted, the 2726 of them would make up about one in 200 of the arrivals.

There is a bigger issue here. In my view, it's also a simpler issue than what to do about asylum seekers (which, frankly, I think is one of the most difficult policy issues I've ever come across, with every option breaking one or other principle of good government)........
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:43 am

Pied Piper, Genuine need? Great term. Paying 15k - 30k to get here is not someone I would call in genuine need. Desperate yes as they want a better way of life. That should not mean that they gain entry on that basis

The term "Refugee" needs a complete overhaul.

I agree the numbers are small and overblown by the media.

In saying that, we do not have the work for people with no skills, we cannot accommodate the people that are currently here due to the lack of housing which is reflected by the cost of housing to buy and rent. Our social security system is propped up by tax payers who are aging yearly. Australia is 70% desert. We do not have the infrastructure to cope with a larger population as no Government builds for tomorrow. We have Governments that simply pump more money into private education than public education. We have a hospital system that cannot cope now. We have an aged care system run by people who's aim is to make money not care for the aged. Dumping people (and that is what we do) here in low socioeconomic areas and then telling them to fend for themselves is not a recipe for quality living, it's a recipe for racially based violence and crime. Moving the problem from one country to another dos not solve the issue.

Fix their problems in their countries and that doesn't mean occupation and placing puppets in Governments to do what we or the US want. History shows it doesn't work all it does is cost lives. Western Governments love using countries for cheap labour but heaven forbid they actually increase their quality of living because that would in turn increase the cost of Labour.

You can throw racist and xenophobia at me, it's just a cop out. Anyone who says no is a xenophobe or a racist. I would say I am a realist.

The problem here is Capitalism as a whole. That means you simply need poor people because without them you can't get rich.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:37 pm

Tannin you still insist on conflating "refugees" and "destitution". The international agreements arose in response to the displacement of peoples in Europe under tyranny; poverty was a secondary matter, just as it was say in the Balkans in the 90s. So your wealth proxy is historically absurd. You can't use such a gross error as a basis for understanding the problem.

You then move from a misunderstanding of what a refugee is to a trivial interpretation of the word "directly", as if an agreement to mitigate mass murder and genocide is so short-sighted as to not notice that neighboring countries may not be able to solve the problem at all. What is this, a childish word game or an attempted solution?

To quote the very rational UNHCR clarification that you so flippantly dismiss once more:

"4. The expression coming directly in Article 31(1), covers the situation of a person who enters the country in which asylum is sought directly from the country of origin, or from another country where his protection, safety and security could not be assured. It is understood that this term also covers a person who transits an intermediate country for a short period of time without having applied for, or received, asylum there. No strict time limit can be applied to the concept coming directly and each case must be judged on its merits. Similarly, given the special situation of asylum-seekers, in particular the effects of trauma, language problems, lack of information, previous experiences which often result in a suspicion of those in authority, feelings of insecurity, and the fact that these and other circumstances may vary enormously from one asylum-seeker to another, there is no time limit which can be mechanically applied or associated with the expression without delay. The expression good cause, requires a consideration of the circumstances under which the asylum-seeker fled. The term asylum-seeker in these guidelines applies to those whose claims are being considered under an admissibility or pre-screening procedure as well as those who are being considered under refugee status determination procedures. It also includes those exercising their right to seek judicial and/or administrative review of their asylum request."

http://www.unhcr.org/refworld/pdfid/3c2b3f844.pdf

It doesn't matter how people arrive; you have to asses their claims because refugee status is not about wealth and it's not about geography or movement. It's about threat of death - it has never been otherwise.

That's not to say I have the solution, but Tannin's redefinition of refugee certainly isn't it.

Last edited by pietillidie on Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:41 pm; edited 3 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 6 of 12   

Jump to: