Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The 2012 NFL thread

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:41 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies4shaw wrote:
Hmmm - looks like the wheels have fallen off the wagon in Green Bay, with a 14:12 loss to Seattle. Rodgers was sacked 8 times in the first half. I haven't seen the game but it sounds like the Offensive Line must have done a disappearing act.

I watched the Eagles against the Cardinals this morning. Blackmissionary's comments about Michael Vick are spot on. His OL gave him no protection at all - he must have taken at least 20 hits. At this rate, he'd do well to feign a two-week injury during this week - he's fun to watch when he's going well but there's a reasonable chance he won't live through consecutive games against the Giants and the Steelers over the next 2 rounds.

On your first point about the Packers. I agree the O-Line has been porous, allowing far to much pressure to be applied to their QB. Even when the defenders don't reach Rogers their still getting close enough to pressure or hasten the pass or pushing him out of the pocket. Their either need to play a double TE formation or keep their FB in to add another layer of protection for Rogers to give him time to find an open target. That being said Rogers himself has often looked tentative and even inaccurate when throwing the ball, which most likely will be due to the lack of play-time passing he's done up to now. Another couple of games and he should be back to the standard everyone knows, and all other teams fear.

On Vick. Well the guy is prone to injury due to his slight frame yet the Eagles management give him one of the weakest O-Lines in the league and then complain he's not on the field enough. Given the amount of times and the violent nature of the hits (more often than they would like he's taking blind side hits) he's taken in just the first 3 games this year he'll be lucky to survive this season little lone play out every game. They either need to protect him better or start planning for the off-season now because they won'e be taking part in the playoffs without a healthy Vick. This is why I don't rate Andy Reid as a coach, his clock management is dreadful (he iced his own kicker last season during a match winning field goal) and makes bad decisions with personal. Plus his game plan is bloody predictable.

Oh yeah and 9ers to freakin' crush the Jets next week Very Happy

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:48 pm

OEP wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Hmmm - looks like the wheels have fallen off the wagon in Green Bay, with a 14:12 loss to Seattle. Rodgers was sacked 8 times in the first half. I haven't seen the game but it sounds like the Offensive Line must have done a disappearing act.

I watched the Eagles against the Cardinals this morning. Blackmissionary's comments about Michael Vick are spot on. His OL gave him no protection at all - he must have taken at least 20 hits. At this rate, he'd do well to feign a two-week injury during this week - he's fun to watch when he's going well but there's a reasonable chance he won't live through consecutive games against the Giants and the Steelers over the next 2 rounds.

On your first point about the Packers. I agree the O-Line has been porous, allowing far to much pressure to be applied to their QB. Even when the defenders don't reach Rogers their still getting close enough to pressure or hasten the pass or pushing him out of the pocket. Their either need to play a double TE formation or keep their FB in to add another layer of protection for Rogers to give him time to find an open target. That being said Rogers himself has often looked tentative and even inaccurate when throwing the ball, which most likely will be due to the lack of play-time passing he's done up to now. Another couple of games and he should be back to the standard everyone knows, and all other teams fear.

On Vick. Well the guy is prone to injury due to his slight frame yet the Eagles management give him one of the weakest O-Lines in the league and then complain he's not on the field enough. Given the amount of times and the violent nature of the hits (more often than they would like he's taking blind side hits) he's taken in just the first 3 games this year he'll be lucky to survive this season little lone play out every game. They either need to protect him better or start planning for the off-season now because they won'e be taking part in the playoffs without a healthy Vick. This is why I don't rate Andy Reid as a coach, his clock management is dreadful (he iced his own kicker last season during a match winning field goal) and makes bad decisions with personal. Plus his game plan is bloody predictable.

Please tell me Aldon Smith and the rest of your boys are saving something special for Timbo when the Jets ask him to run the ball! Twisted Evil
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:13 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
OEP wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Please tell me Aldon Smith and the rest of your boys are saving something special for Timbo when the Jets ask him to run the ball! Twisted Evil

Damn straight. Nothing less than a punctured lung will do. That guy REALLY bugs me Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by OEP on Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:26 am
Post subject: Week 4 free to air TV scheduleReply with quote

The Browns game at Baltimore is on One live this morning from 10.20am, which is a bit of a surprise - apart from the season-opener, the Thursday nighjt games aren't usually on free to air. For those who can't watch in the middle of a week-day, it's being replayed tomorrow at 6am. This is the first game which will feature the best NFL officials, the industrial dispute and lock-out having been sorted within about 24 hours of the ignominious decision which cost Green Bay victory over Seattle on Monday night (Tuesday morning, our time).

Monday's live coverage is Patriots at Buffalo (3 am), followed (at 6.15am) by Saints @ Green Bay (this is probably a do or die game for both teams, given Drew Brees' team is 0-3 and the Pack is 1-2 after 3 games), and then (at 10.20 am) by Giants at Eagles (how many more hits will Vick take in this one? will he survive the match?).
blackmissionary Cancer

Lurker King

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:26 pm

Ravens 23 Browns 16. A bit of a flatter Ravens after last week's game, but got the job done. Browns dropped catches cost them a fair bit - good teams and good players make those plays. Brandon Weeden the rookie quarterback for the Browns looked OK, nothing spectacular, but stepped up in the pocket, didn't seem intimidated by the huge pressure the Ravens blitz can bring, and was more let down by his receivers.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:28 pm

Big effort by Detroit this morning. The Lions lost 20:13 to the Vikes. In doing so, they allowed Percy Harvin to run the openinng kick-off back 105 yards for a TD and later allowed Marcus Sherels to return a punt for another TD. That's 182 yards to the Vikes on 2 special teams plays. Given that they only managed 227 offensive yards for the entire game (100 passing; 127 rushing), those plays were massive.
blackmissionary Cancer

Lurker King

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:01 pm

Honeymoon over for the return of the proper officials. Two appalling calls in the Packers - Saints match.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:36 pm

blackmissionary wrote:
Honeymoon over for the return of the proper officials. Two appalling calls in the Packers - Saints match.
Yep - cheered on and booed off: normal service resumed! Laughing

How about those Eagles?
blackmissionary Cancer

Lurker King

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:41 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
blackmissionary wrote:
Yep - cheered on and booed off: normal service resumed! Laughing

How about those Eagles?

How are they on top of the NFC East all by themselves? Well I suppose it helps when Tony Romo throws five interceptions against the Bears. Early days, but we could have several close races for division titles, and an absolute mess of a wild card race if so many teams keep producing such inconsistent results.
blackmissionary Cancer

Lurker King

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:44 pm

Saw second half of Rams - Cardinals. No idea how Cardinals got to 4-0 with an offensive line like that. Kolb got murdered, got sacked about 7 times and had to fly out of the pocket countless other times just to get away from a hungry Rams defence. Apparently Rams above .500 for the first time in about six years.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:48 am

^^^^ Just finished watching that game. Poor Kevin Kolb, imagine having to put up with that after the beating he took with the Eagles. I have to say, I admire his courage - even after that pounding, he was still trying to move the ball down the ground in the 4th and, with any sort of protection whatsoever from his offensive line, might have gone close to getting the Cardinals across the line. He also protected the ball very well - I think his only fumble came on his last play, when the game was already well and truly lost. I tip my hat to Kevin - there are plenty of past and present QBs who would have given up rather than take the hits he took. I will be barracking a little for him in the future - heart like he showed deserves some better return.

As for his offensive line, they are, apparently, the first NFL team in a long time to allow 8 or more sacks in consecutive games. If they can't block, they need to at least do some holding - better a few penalties than a hurt QB.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:23 pm

Tomorrow morning's free to air live games are Eagles at Steelers (4 am), Broncos at Patriots (7.15 am) and Chargers at 'Aints (11.20 am).

If you have Foxtel, you can watch Clay Matthews test out Andrew Luck in Packers at Colts as an alternative 4 am game. Since I don't have Foxtel, you can also report back here on how my Packers go!
punkologist Aries

Barwick goals, the pies are home!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:25 pm

luckily the Raiders can't lose this week.

That come from behind win over the Steelers has been the only shining light on what has been a miserable start to the season.

A few injuries arn't helping, but the main problem is the defensive line is like swiss cheese.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:53 pm

Here's some good numbers (unless you want to focus on Reggie Wayne's remarkable performance against Green Bay, which personally I don't):

Passing: A. Smith (SF) - 303 YDS, 3 TD

Rushing: F. Gore (SF) - 14 CAR, 106 YDS, 1 TD

Receiving: M. Crabtree (SF) - 6 REC, 113 YDS, 1 TD

The 49ers won 45 to 3 over the Bills and are really consolidating now.

Minnesota and Chicago have put extreme pressure on the Pack - Green Bay is already 2 games behind the top two teams in the NFC North.

Meanwhile Atlanta are powering on at 5 wins and no losses and Houston is the only undefeated team in the AFC (although they've only played 4).

I suppose it would be churlish of me not to mention Drew Brees' tremendous achievement. In throwing 4 TDs during the win over San Diego in the Sunday night game, Brees broke Johnny Unitas' record of most consecutive games with a TD pass (now 48, previously 47). It's probably a little hard to compare the 2 efforts, since Unitas played in an era when it was much harder to have an effective passing game but it's still a record which pre-dated the Superbowl era (Unitas' run was from 1956 to 1960), so congratulations to him. He can now amuse himself trying to run down the Great One's 508 TDs. He's only 217 behind, at the moment.
blackmissionary Cancer

Lurker King

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:50 pm

Steelers 23 Titans 26. The Titans - well, Kenny Britt at least - tried real hard to throw this game away, but got there in the end with a game winning field goal. Britt dropped about four or five catches, and almost dropped the game tying touchdown under no pressure.

Steelers offense got crippled, and a blocked punt which ended up being scrambled to their own 1 yard line, which the Titans converted for a touchdown, didn't help matters either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 6 of 13   

Jump to: