Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Cloke.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
STOKA35 Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:57 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Play him at half back for a half
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:41 pm

King Monkey wrote:
He can be as scary as he likes, but if we're setting up the way we do currently, he's going to be more of a contributor than a superstar. With the odd dominant game every once in a while.

He isn't winning one on ones anymore mate, structure has nothing to do with that.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:59 pm

Cloke needs to start working over his opponent with gut running and leading like he used to.

There was talk that he had a back problem over summer and given how he's struggling to throw aside his opponent this year (even with the rule change) makes me think there might be something in it.

Brown26 

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:44 am

In the first half Adelaide played two loose men in front of Cloke. 2 men, both right in front of him (irony isn't it ?). So that may lead you to ask - where were Witts and White? Surely it would be dumb to kick to a three on one.

Cloke smashed a few packs and brought a few balls to ground but you've got two other talls who are one on one, why aren't they taking marks and kicking goals?

- Ben
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:39 am

I guess because they're not leading to the right spots or doing enough to draw opponents away from Cloke or freeing space up for him. White is capable of taking big grabs and either he should lead up the ground more leaving Cloke space to move or Cloke should lead up the ground more to draw opponents away from the forward line. Cloke is so out of confidence it's not funny. He's dropping easy marks and missing easy goals. He's no longer the dominant player he once was. Opposition clubs have figured him out and know how to shut him down. I'm not sure structures have anything to do with it but I know clean disposal has. Give him half a chance and he'll take the mark 9/10 but keep kicking it over, under or around him and he can't compete. Witts is still slow and will take time. I liked his ground work the other night. Should not go forward again and where are our crumbers?
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:46 am

When we don't play the game "on our terms" (in modern football speak), as was the case Thursday night, there are NO "targets" in the forward line.

When we eventually win the ball back from the opposition, all 18 players have been involved in the zone/press/flood, and the forwards need to rush back into the forward 50 to try and give an option from the bloody wing.
In the meantime, we've fluffed around with the pill in the middle or on a wing because there's nobody forward of centre to kick to.
Even on the odd occasion Cloke does happen to get a one-on-one, the kick is never to his advantage because he hasn't actually had a chance to make position and protect the drop of the ball. Not to mention he's just sprinted 70-80 metres back to provide this option.

So all these theories of Cloke out working his opponent up the ground like he used to, start leading instead of trying to outbody, get a run-up and hit the ball at its highest point like Nick Reiwoldt, run to better spots, etc, etc, sound great but are not exactly possible most of the time.

Some of these things change when we're controlling the game through the middle and around stoppages, allowing us to maintain somewhat of a "forward structure".

I agree he looks down on confidence at the moment, but it has far more to do with the way we set-up than anything he's doing wrong himself.
Confidence can be a fickle thing though, all it takes is 1 big moment to turn things around sometimes.

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
derkd 

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:33 pm

I am sure their are multiple reasons why Cloke's form is down. I will say this..

If your getting paid roughly $700k a year and dropping chest marks that kids would gobble up in under 15's (like he did early in the game against the crows) it is not a good look. And is not easy to excuse.

I can understand the reasons people are making the case to drop him.....i would say at this point that is a tad premature. However, a few more poor games and it might not be such a bad idea to give him a spell. If nothing then to give someone else a run in the forward 50 in his place.....lets face it Cloke is now 27? ...he is not going to be there forever.... it might be time to test some post Cloke idea's. Not saying it is the end of him or any such non sense....just suggesting a change and trying something new.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:37 pm

I am sick of our forwards playing to high up the ground, Cloke's aggression has dropped against sydney he was going to kill some people !

www.facebook/the hybernators
Beast 

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:42 am

Unfortunately Clokey is one of those beings that can't produce the goods unless everything is 100% hunky dory is in their lives.
I'll leave it at that to keep the suspense and the members of my fan club going.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:30 pm

Just get him a jump.
You know he can't have ave a missus when he came out with that haircut.
The big stallion just needs a couple of weeks servicing to clear the pipes.

Robbie 

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:12 am
Post subject: The Coach KnowsReply with quote

In case you have not noticed, Travis Cloke is not bullet proof although he would do anything for a teammate treated badly. We should not believe Travis is anything more than a young footballer that still needs assistance and advice.

I believe we can all agree the father David is not an easy man to deal with and we should see that in the positive light in that many of the clubs that wanted Clokey decided they couldn't deal with David.

With Trav leading no other team can ignore him, and when the other forwards return we will outnumber the defence of any team. I have never been so optimistic as I am today, because we have the players, coach and administration that together will bring success to the Mighty Magpies.

Robbie 

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:13 am
Post subject: The Coach KnowsReply with quote

In case you have not noticed, Travis Cloke is not bullet proof although he would do anything for a teammate treated badly. We should not believe Travis is anything more than a young footballer that still needs assistance and advice.

I believe we can all agree the father David is not an easy man to deal with and we should see that in the positive light in that many of the clubs that wanted Clokey decided they couldn't deal with David.

With Trav leading no other team can ignore him, and when the other forwards return we will outnumber the defence of any team. I have never been so optimistic as I am today, because we have the players, coach and administration that together will bring success to the Mighty Magpies.

warburton lad 

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:57 am

The problem with Cloke is Reid.

Reid back, opposition defences stretched- the way opens for Cloke to be the incredibly dangerous second option.

I can't see why Cloke can't start behind the goal line and come steaming out when the ball comes inside our fifty.

Ditto Witts and Grundy.

Get White up around the wing and have him charging forward with the ball.

Cloke may have been injured and suffered a confidence drop as a result.

Class is permanent- his time will come. Starts 4-40 this Saturday.

Stay tuned.

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:24 am

LaurieHolden wrote:
Just get him a jump.
You know he can't have ave a missus when he came out with that haircut.
The big stallion just needs a couple of weeks servicing to clear the pipes.

The dumb oath would end up humping her leg.

You like this.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 5:48 pm

He's getting worse, damn he's slow, has been led to the ball heaps today, something's gotta give.

You like this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 6 of 11   

Jump to: