Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#7 Adam Treloar

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 197, 198, 199  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:45 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Comparing Treloar to O'Rourke is just ridiculous. Treloar's been at least average, and well above that the last two years, ever since he was drafted. O'Rourke can't even get a game.

Even comparing him to Caddy, Caddy did nothing at Gold Coast. He's actually done better than I thought at Geelong. Treloar is well ahead of him at the same points in their development.

Agree that there's nothing that eye catching about him, but he'd make our midfield better (not that the midfield is our biggest problem) and he's worth what teams are willing are to pay for him.

Last edited by Duff Soviet Union on Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:16 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Look, I have absolutely no issue with paying/trading to get good players. I just don't know much about Treloar except the hype that we're apparently willing to pay big coin for him. Hence the thread, Wilbur. Razz

What i've learned so far is that he is a good midfielder, probably very good. But nothing I've read here tells me he's a star.

So maybe we have to pay overs to get a player to leave where they are, I get that, but the club needs to be smart about it and I trust they will be.

Mids can kick on and star much faster than KPP, they develop faster. Cloke is 28, Darcy Moore is 19. By the time Moore is physically ready to start being the main main up forward Cloke will be either gone or going. Apart from Gault we have ZERO young KPP talent on the list while we have a metric buttload of running players.

So, if we're going to spend serious coin on a midfielder he better be very fkn good. Is Treloar? I don't know. But, we really need to refresh our young KPP stocks.

KPP's don't exactly grow on trees and the results of this is that 1) When teams get good ones, they don't let them go; and 2) teams will do things that are borderline insane to get size. Personally, I'd much rather pay Treloar $700K than Tom Boyd $1M, but that might be just me.

As for Treloar's "star" potential, well, define "star". Is he going to be Pendlebury, Selwood, Ablett, Fyfe etc? Not bloody likely because pretty much nobody becomes those guys. Can he be, say, Steele Sidebottom or a version of Dayne Beams that runs both ways and uses the ball better? Yeah, in fact he is already at age 22.

In fact, given the dearth of key position players out there, I'd be tempted to almost ignore them completely. I'm thinking of the Bulldogs teams a few years ago that made a couple of prelims with a whole bunch of mids and flankers and Mitch Hahn as their main KPF.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:41 pm

swoop42 wrote:
It's the Caddy who until today was averaging less than 20 disposals and hadn't cracked it for a 30 possession game.

Treloar on the other hand is averaging above 27 disposals and has 4 games above 30 possessions plus another 3 at 29.

Treloar is 6 months younger than Caddy whilst Adams is another 6 months younger again and already pulling in bigger numbers than Caddy.

Treloar>Adams>Caddy.

I trust our club knows what it's doing in this regard.

Watched a fair bit of the GCS v GWS game and specifically kept an eye on Treloar. This is exactly the reason why some of us are questioning his value. He definitely has talent but a 19 possession game against GCS doesn't scream $750k a year to me.

Caddy has started to deliver on his potential but in his 3rd year at the Cats and now getting more midfield time and delivering consistently.

Looking at GWS we could probably grab a couple of their kids like Barrett and Townsend who aren't getting regular senior opportunities for a combo of our 1st and 2nd picks and perhaps even get another Crisp type outcome or 2. I know it's more speculative but to me it seems a better use of $750k a year.
Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:33 pm

jackcass wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
It's the Caddy who until today was averaging less than 20 disposals and hadn't cracked it for a 30 possession game.

Treloar on the other hand is averaging above 27 disposals and has 4 games above 30 possessions plus another 3 at 29.

Treloar is 6 months younger than Caddy whilst Adams is another 6 months younger again and already pulling in bigger numbers than Caddy.

Treloar>Adams>Caddy.

Watched a fair bit of the GCS v GWS game and specifically kept an eye on Treloar. This is exactly the reason why some of us are questioning his value. He definitely has talent but a 19 possession game against GCS doesn't scream $750k a year to me.

Caddy has started to deliver on his potential but in his 3rd year at the Cats and now getting more midfield time and delivering consistently.

Looking at GWS we could probably grab a couple of their kids like Barrett and Townsend who aren't getting regular senior opportunities for a combo of our 1st and 2nd picks and perhaps even get another Crisp type outcome or 2. I know it's more speculative but to me it seems a better use of $750k a year.

Using a player's arguable worst game of the season as indicative of his value is not the way I'd do things. I hope our club doesn't do things that way either.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:34 pm

It's nothing but media speculation he'll be getting $750,000 a season at this stage.

People need to remember that at 22 he's still developing and if it's one thing Buckley and Harvey should know it's how to identify elite midfield talent.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:43 pm

Duff Soviet Union wrote:
jackcass wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

Treloar>Adams>Caddy.

Using a player's arguable worst game of the season as indicative of his value is not the way I'd do things. I hope our club doesn't do things that way either.

I've said elsewhere I haven't seen a lot of him other than the game against us at the G in which he had high 20s possessions but little impact and now the game yesterday. Can only say what I've seen and didn't suggest it was indicative, just a reason some of us are questioning his value.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:32 am

jackcass wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

Treloar>Adams>Caddy.

conservative recruiting shall equal conservative ladder position "non sequitur" man.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:59 am

inxs88 wrote:
jackcass wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

Treloar>Adams>Caddy.

conservative recruiting shall equal conservative ladder position "non sequitur" man.

Or equally could have a Bruce and Miles type combo at the Pies...

History is littered with teams who have sold the bank for a messiah player and haven't reached the ultimate glory. As they say, if you spend up big on a piece of shit then all you've really got is a very expensive piece of shit.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:07 am

We need more talent in the midfield.

We need more talent full stop.

I'll take it however it comes and will back that Buckley and Hine know it when they see it and will only pay what we can afford and is reasonable.

Rather be Collingwood paying $700,000 next year for Treloar than Carlton paying the same for Thomas.

E 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:22 am

this is the same group of poster who felt like they knew that Collingwood should draft Jayden Laverde over Jordan De Goey. and the same group that knew for sure that Taylor Adams was a dud.
MJ23 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:30 am

Neil Appleby wrote:
I like him a lot Swoop, just wish he were a bit bigger. Why is he so good? Let me count the ways:
He's super strong at the contest
Wins his own ball and then gains metres with great acceleration
Very tough for his size
Uses the ball beautifully
Averages close to 30 possessions a game
Great tackler
Doesn't mind a tag
Mentally very strong apparently

That sounds pretty impressive to me, but as I said, wish he were about 6 centimetres taller because then we'd be stalking a budding super-star. He's already well on the way to being a star though so I reckon we chase him hard.

Spot on with all of this however Id also add that he is very strong overhead and can jump at the footy.

I go to every GWS sydney game and have watched him from the start.

Last year in order of best midfielders Id have had Ward ( underrated by melb media, is an absolute gun) and then Treloar followed by Shiel/Coniglio.

Shiel probably has gone past him a touch this year however have to think about what the contract neg and his thinking is atm.

Last year I was hoping wed get either Treloar, Shiel or Aish in that order for Beams.

Id take Treloar over Aish next year and in terms of young developing mids I dont think there would be anyone in his age bracket I like more at the moment.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:35 am

As said previously Treloar is in the best 5 young mid fielders in the league and it's exciting that we MAY just snare him!.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:30 pm

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/gws-adam-treloar-likely-to-leave-for-victorian-club-20150723-gij9i3.html

Long-term offers seem to have been made by Collingwood, Ninthmond and the Pauperoos.
GreekLunatic 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:30 am

how do the pauperoos offered to make large offers. I still think if he leaves we are his preferred destination
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:53 am

^ They use our money, of course - just like the Blooz used our money to out-bid us for Judd.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 197, 198, 199  Next
Page 6 of 199   

Jump to: