Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Shawry's top 10 Pies.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:37 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies4shaw wrote:
And, of course, he was two years from hitting his peak period!

That's the saddest part of the whole ordeal, we never got to see him at the peak of his powers. Who knows how many more premierships we'd have won with a fit and healthy Greening running around throughout the 70's and early 80's.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:54 pm

This has been a interesting read for me. As I've only been following the pies since the early 80's hearing memories of posters about players whom I had only read about is great
For mine remembering I've only been at this for around 32yrs is as follows

1 Daicos
2 Buckley
3 Millane
4 Brown
5 McGuane
6 Swan
7 Pendlebury
8 T Shaw
9 Clement
10 S Rocca
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 7:45 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Here's my list:

1 Greening
2 Daicos
3 Carman
4 Bucks
5 Thompson
6 Pendles
7 Swanny
8 Millane
9 McKenna
10 Brown

Shit! I left out 2 absolute legends. Here's my new list:

1 Greening
2 Daicos
3 Tuddy
4 Carman
5 Bucks
6 Thompson
7 Pendles
8 Swanny
9 McGuane
10 Millane

Apologies to McKenna, Gavin Brown, Barry Price and Graham Wright.
jg22 

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:58 pm

My old man (rest his soul) was lucky enough to be born in 1919 and saw the machine at its peak. Saw the Colliers, the Coventrys, Ron Todd, Bruce Andrew, the Weed, et al. And he still rated Bobby Rose the best player he'd ever seen pull on a Collingwood jumper.
As a child of the '60s, I knew Johnny Greening had to be special to be given Bobby's coveted number 22. Had it all, gifted both sides of his body, fast, a great leap and safe hands. Maybe its nostalgia and the fact we didn't see the entire package, but he remains the best I've seen.
Fabulous number 2 for me. Was lucky enough to play under him when he turned to country footy. Was nearly 40 by then and still had a superb physique. Scary how he turned feral the minute he pulled the jumper on, but brilliant to watch.
From there, it's Daics, Tuddy, McKenna, Thommo, Bucks, Swanny, Browny and Pendles. Sorry I couldn't squeeze Pants in. Loved watching the Raging Bull roam the wings at Vic Park.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:13 pm

I'm surprised no-one else listed Tuddy as one of our best.

I realise, most Nicksters aren't old enough to have seen him play, but seriously he was by far and away the best captain our club ever had. Everyone remembers his toughness, courage and tenacity, but what people seem to forget was how gifted a player he was. I remember him kicking 8 goals in a game, rotating between a half forward flank and on the ball. So in my book, any list of our greatest players, must include Tuddy, our greatest ever leader.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 1:17 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
I'm surprised no-one else listed Tuddy as one of our best.

I realise, most Nicksters aren't old enough to have seen him play, but seriously he was by far and away the best captain our club ever had. Everyone remembers his toughness, courage and tenacity, but what people seem to forget was how gifted a player he was. I remember him kicking 8 goals in a game, rotating between a half forward flank and on the ball. So in my book, any list of our greatest players, must include Tuddy, our greatest ever leader.

Love Tuddy, just not sure he fits into the criteria for the thread. He was definitely 1 of the toughest footballers I've seen. Was never the same player when he returned from his 3-4 years at the Bumbers and didn't really have the same impact over there that he was renowned for.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 2:17 pm

Tuddy was a great player but Shawy's criterion was "most talented". On talent, Tuddy wasn't in the top 5 in the 1970 team. Thompson, Wayne Richardson, Greening, Price and Mckenna all had more talent.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 3:30 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Tuddy was a great player but Shawy's criterion was "most talented". On talent, Tuddy wasn't in the top 5 in the 1970 team. Thompson, Wayne Richardson, Greening, Price and Mckenna all had more talent.

Have to agree to disagree. In my book, leadership and courage are talents often overlooked. So is the ability to get the ball and do something with it, especially kick goals. On those counts Tuddy was brim full of talent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6   

Jump to: