Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Evaluating the trade period: how did we go?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:54 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

AN_Inkling wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
The_Staunton wrote:
Solid D+ on the AFL website

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-20/trade-verdict-how-did-your-club-fare-during-the-trade-period

Yes, we were rated down at the cellar level.
But plenty of posters think we won.

This thread is about trades and free agents.

I understand why the AFL site rated us lowly, we gave away four players for very little. What they fail to take into account is that these players had little to no value to us either. The only real in for us was WHE and he's an exciting one.

WHE may be great or he maybe a dud.
No one knows.
He has had 5 years and got nowhere.
Worth a punt, but hey he is not odds on.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:00 pm

Culprit wrote:
Our trading met our limitations. We offered up fringe players and we got what market value despite many on here over rating our fringe/reserve players. Two free agents sort of balance the loss of experience. WHE is a good pick up. Dunn although a Melbourne fringe player has the potential to be OK.

We can bitch an moan or applaud what's going on as far as draft selections go. People need to take their blinkers off, we have no 1st round pick and we offered up Spuds as trade bait.

Agree 100%

inxs88 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:02 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:
Who out of these players we've lost was playing regular senior football in 2016: Williams, Toovey, Swan, Macaffer, Frost, Cloke, Brown, Witts?

ZERO.

Brown. 16 games is pretty regular.

14 shit ones

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:04 pm

thompsoc wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
The_Staunton wrote:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-20/trade-verdict-how-did-your-club-fare-during-the-trade-period

I understand why the AFL site rated us lowly, we gave away four players for very little. What they fail to take into account is that these players had little to no value to us either. The only real in for us was WHE and he's an exciting one.

No one knows.

That's what our recruiters are paid for. He was rated higher than most in the trade period as other former early picks, like Pickett were given up much more cheaply. And anyone taken in the draft and most traded for have questions over them, nothing is a certainty.

He was the perfect pickup for us. Of those who moved this trade period there's no one I'd have preferred (O'Meara of course, but we couldn't afford him). Without a first round pick, no quality players moving and needing to keep our late picks for F/S, this was the best possible outcome. We couldn't get a star with that hand. Getting a potential star was our ceiling and we got one with heaps of potential. It's a definite win.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:06 pm

inxs88 wrote:
[quote="AN_Inkling"][quote="Raw Hammer"]Who out of these players we've lost was playing regular senior football in 2016: Williams, Toovey, Swan, Macaffer, Frost, Cloke, Brown, Witts?

ZERO.
[/quote]

Brown. 16 games is pretty regular.[/quote]

14 shit ones
Are there any other kind?
inxs88 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:14 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
Including the free agents I'll give it a 7/10. Our trading return was a little underwhelming but that's more to do with the crazy state of trading and this period in particular.

We lost one (combined) best 22 player and brought in three (Dunn will also play some). That's a win.

This trade period was about reconfiguring. Our team proved incapable of playing the style we wanted and we've looked to address all areas:

1. poor forward pressure (Mayne is elite)
2. poor forward entries (Wells is elite)
3. a defense that simply could not play the zoning style asked of it (out the slow and weak footed, in the mobile Dunn with a long leg)
4. lack of pace and flair (Wells and WHE both bring it)

So, while some will argue about the particular players brought in, the direction the club's taking is clear, and I think exciting.

excellent review

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:18 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
thompsoc wrote:
The_Staunton wrote:

No one knows.

That's what our recruiters are paid for. He was rated higher than most in the trade period as other former early picks, like Pickett were given up much more cheaply. And anyone taken in the draft and most traded for have questions over them, nothing is a certainty.

He was the perfect pickup for us. Of those who moved this trade period there's no one I'd have preferred (O'Meara of course, but we couldn't afford him). Without a first round pick, no quality players moving and needing to keep our late picks for F/S, this was the best possible outcome. We couldn't get a star with that hand. Getting a potential star was our ceiling and we got one with heaps of potential. It's a definite win.

Well that was a good post.
Some fair points there.

Big T 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:41 pm

All in all 8/10 on the basis of ins and outs.

But the list is unbalanced due to a total lack of talls depth and we are 1-2 tall injuries away from missing finals, I feel losing Witts could be significant only because we didn't replace him.

We should have replaced Witts with Nankervis. That was the mistake for mine. Tigers did well.

slangman 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:48 pm

I do recall many people being gobsmacked with the Howe trade last year.

He turned out very well for us.

As always, only time will tell how any teams faired during trade period.

As much as some are perplexed with our additions, so am I with some other clubs who picked up others dead wood.

All our departures except for Brown were not in our best 22….some not even in our best 28.

Player for player we are better than this year. The only slight issue is some of the reported money offered to the newbies.

Overall not bad.
Rating B

jatsad 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:08 pm

thompsoc wrote:
I reckon it was a crap trade week for us.
Got nothing for a whole raft of players.
Picked up some more duds.
Picked up on a ageing rock star in Wells.
Pity it is not 2009 again.
Picked up Hoskin who didn't play the last 20 games
for GWS.
So that is a stab in the dark pick.
All i seem to see about him is that he went for pick 4 a whole 5 years
ago.1
He has done nothing else since.
Now the mongrels Hawthorn have got 2 top midfield players and a big man in Vickery that fits the hawks plan of drafting tall players ...that they can mark.
So Hawks are streets ahead of us ...again!
Still got marsh and blair who nobody wanted to trade even
pick 103!
So as I said before.
2016 ...a waste of a year.

I have to disagree. Not one of the 5 players traded out were going to be in our best 22. All were terrible ball users.
That's already saved us 3 to 4 goals a game.

At least the guys coming in can kick, although Mayne's accuracy is questionable over the past 2 years.

As far as Whorethorn is concerned, what did they achieve:

IN:
Vickery - ha, ha, ha
Mitchell - good player but the swans let him go without a fight. What does that say when there were other options for cap space
O'Meara - What a risk. If he doesn't play or is not as good as he was, lookout.

OUT:
Mitchell - 5 times B & F, 4 premierships, club legend
Lewis - 4 premierships, also club legend
Hill - their best outside runner

First pick this year is 88 and no 1st or 2nd round pick next year.

How well do you think they've done now?

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:10 pm

Big T wrote:

But the list is unbalanced due to a total lack of talls depth and we are 1-2 tall injuries away from missing finals, I feel losing Witts could be significant only because we didn't replace him.

We should have replaced Witts with Nankervis. That was the mistake for mine. Tigers did well.

Nankervis probably fancies his chances of taking over from Spudly Hampson sooner than later. He'd be in the same position as Witts was, playing 2nd banana at the Pies indefinitely.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:13 pm

Well we are the 3rd worst team in the AFL according to the betting agencies and we may slide to Wooden Spoon favouritism after this week!

But hey that's alright, we save 400,000 on a key forward but spend the next 3 years paying a bloke 600,000 a year in his mid thirties! Genius recruitment for a team on the slide...
ad4eva Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:15 pm

Ive read quite a number of posts from frustrated fans who aren't satisfied with what we got in return for some of our players.

Cloke - His form was well speculated across the year. Was dropped at least twice and came with a large price tag on his head. Market value was probably worth a late 30s selection but the contract carrying over blows it out to the 70s we got for him.

Frost - Played a handful of games early. Was dropped a couple of times and didn't return in the second half of the year. Not much to write home about... We've done nicely upgrading our 3rd and 4th round selections next year (assuming we finish above Brisbane).

Witts - Played a couple of games, got injured in one and never looked like it in the others. Sure he was a nice contributor in the VFL, but he never smashed down the door for a senior game. A former NSW scholar selection, Picks 44 and 62 (the equivalent to a late 30's selection) is a great deal, on the back of potential due to age.

Williams - Renowned for a non-existent right foot coupled with poor decision making skills. Made a promising start to his career but just hasn't kicked on. Clubs love to steer away from blokes that find trouble too. Pick 105 may mean nothing to us, but he was on the scrap heap either way.

We had identified these players as 'dead wood' on our list. Not progressing individually and therefore for the club and this bold assessment reflected true across the competition with what was coming back the other way.

If any of these guys find some consistency, they have what it takes, it just was never going to happen at our club.
Big T 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:22 pm

piedys wrote:
Big T wrote:

Nankervis probably fancies his chances of taking over from Spudly Hampson sooner than later. He'd be in the same position as Witts was, playing 2nd banana at the Pies indefinitely.

I really rate him Dyso as a potential forward as well, far better option than Cox or Witts.

Big T 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:24 pm

[quote="eddiesmith"]Well we are the 3rd worst team in the AFL according to the betting agencies and we may slide to Wooden Spoon favouritism after this week!

But hey that's alright, we save 400,000 on a key forward but spend the next 3 years paying a bloke 600,000 a year in his mid thirties! Genius recruitment for a team on the slide...[/quote. ]

Even if that pans out, it will be worth it to not have to put up with that halfwit family.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 6 of 12   

Jump to: