Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Heritier Lumumba about to launch a broadside at the club

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:32 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

GoWoodsmen wrote:
slangman wrote:
K wrote:
thesoretoothsayer wrote:
From WWOS

Quote:

The Chimp nickname needs context added to it.
Did they call him that because of his colour or because of something that he did?

BINGO! In the article he stated the nickname came about because of an incident at a party but then provides no further information. It is the great non-thinking of our generation that as soon as someone utters a word people choose to apply their own intentions to it, rather than that of the person saying it. When I read the story I was horrified initially that the nickname Chimp could have been accepted by anyone at the club but what if the nickname came about because at a party he got up on a table and did an amazing impersonation of a gorilla or a "chimp"? I have to think that's possible but without context I'm sure as hell not going to jump to conclusions like so many.

Before I form an opinion on this I want to know as many of the FACTS that will become public.

It amazes me how many "supporters" throw our people under the bus based upon pure speculation and knowing only a very small part of the story. How about a bit of balance or is that too much to ask?

K 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:25 pm

Member 7167 wrote:
GoWoodsmen wrote:
slangman wrote:

Did they call him that because of his colour or because of something that he did?

BINGO! In the article he stated the nickname came about because of an incident at a party but then provides no further information. It is the great non-thinking of our generation that as soon as someone utters a word people choose to apply their own intentions to it, rather than that of the person saying it. When I read the story I was horrified initially that the nickname Chimp could have been accepted by anyone at the club but what if the nickname came about because at a party he got up on a table and did an amazing impersonation of a gorilla or a "chimp"? I have to think that's possible but without context I'm sure as hell not going to jump to conclusions like so many.

Before I form an opinion on this I want to know as many of the FACTS that will become public.

It amazes me how many "supporters" throw our people under the bus based upon pure speculation and knowing only a very small part of the story. How about a bit of balance or is that too much to ask?

You've got to be kidding...

1) "Throw our people under the bus":
Which comments of anyone here do that? And given this is a Magpies bulletin board (albeit one that non-supporters can read), I don't think such comments would count as throwing people under the bus, anyway. Also, it's a bit hard to throw people under the bus when their identities are unknown, unlike H; who gave the name initially, who used it, etc.?
2) "Based on pure speculation":
While a subthread in this thread has been speculating, a lot of people on this thread feel concern or dismay or whatever based on the already 'known facts'. It's reasonable to take as 'known facts' the statements that mention Maxwell and Collingwood, unless the reports misrepresented Nick and the club to an appalling extent. Remember, these do indicate the nickname was used:
Quote:

Maxwell says of the "Chimp" nickname that Lumumba, with whom he was close, had never communicated to him that it hurt.
Collingwood on Friday said the nickname came about as a result of an incident at a party and was short-lived.

3)"Knowing only a very small part of the story":
The very small part is already bad enough, even when one assumes or hopes for the best possible context. All this talk about 'context'... The racial connotations of "Chimp" are so strong that you have to be incredibly naive or foolish to use it... As others have already said...

think positive wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
thesoretoothsayer wrote:
<snip>

No, I don't think it needs context.
Calling a black guy "chimp" whatever the context is dumb as $%%$.

+ 1.

Yep. Wow, <snip>

Goodes was called an ape by a 13 year old and she said it was because he resembled one, and yet she needed education anyway. But it's ok to call Harry chimp because ....... what possible reason could it be that's acceptable, and we are talking about grown men, not a 13 year old!

<snip>.

Last edited by K on Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
barrackers 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:25 pm

Just heard a snippet on footy classified regarding the nickname chimp, Lumumba said some called him that for a period, but he didn't consider it malicious at the time.

Question - if Lumumba didn't consider it malicious how could the few know he was offended?
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:55 pm

September Zeros wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
^ All meaning depends on context. You rightly take certain wider context into account in decoding "chimp" to mean something racist, yet you deny context when it might disconfirm that it was so. Can't have it both ways.

That's true however I'm happy to have a wager on the said context.

Regardless of your willingness to wager - Context is not only absolutely relevant, it is unknown, but you watch the context be dismissed and the club get thrown under a bus- thanks to catchy one liners from the book of SJW's.

case in point - "casual racism" Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Don't tell me this release has not been planned for some time - just prior to finals- how miraculous. And don't tell me there's not a certain media group helping drive the wagon of "shame". Its just a pity for H we missed out on finals and the impact of this will be ZERO. In fact he has done us a favor in doing it now so as not to impact 2018.

Have your say H and then take your divisive ideals and kindly move on.

You are making lots of points six points but who are you talking to?

Have I mentioned casual racism?

Have I mentioned its not certain media groups?

Have I mentioned shame?

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:56 pm

Yes I take certain wider context into account in decoding chimp to mean something racist you deny context when it might disconfirm that it was so.
September Zeros 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:37 am

watt price tully wrote:
September Zeros wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
^ All meaning depends on context. You rightly take certain wider context into account in decoding "chimp" to mean something racist, yet you deny context when it might disconfirm that it was so. Can't have it both ways.

That's true however I'm happy to have a wager on the said context.

Regardless of your willingness to wager - Context is not only absolutely relevant, it is unknown, but you watch the context be dismissed and the club get thrown under a bus- thanks to catchy one liners from the book of SJW's.

case in point - "casual racism" Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Don't tell me this release has not been planned for some time - just prior to finals- how miraculous. And don't tell me there's not a certain media group helping drive the wagon of "shame". Its just a pity for H we missed out on finals and the impact of this will be ZERO. In fact he has done us a favor in doing it now so as not to impact 2018.

Have your say H and then take your divisive ideals and kindly move on.

You are making lots of points six points but who are you talking to?

Have I mentioned casual racism?

Have I mentioned its not certain media groups?

Have I mentioned shame?

Wpt I really only quoted you for your mention of wager ....in that you seemed confident the name chimp had been used racially, The rest is general chit chat.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:06 pm

Footy Legend bobby skilton was called the chimp for years, he didn't give a toss about it, that was his nickname. I like H, but the trouble is, he tried to save the world from itself, forgot his footy, and got lost in world issues, nice guy, but a bit nave at times.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:12 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Footy Legend bobby skilton was called the chimp for years, he didn't give a toss about it, that was his nickname. I like H, but the trouble is, he tried to save the world from itself, forgot his footy, and got lost in world issues, nice guy, but a bit nave at times.

As you know the word chimp is a loaded one for people of colour ( all / much/ a bit / none of the time)

Last time I looked Skilts was playing the opening move in his Chess match. Like you but much younger of course he could have been a man of colour when he was on the front page of The Sun News Pictorial with two shiners covering a lot of his face. Indeed, his moniker ought to have been "racoon"

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:11 pm

K wrote:
Member 7167 wrote:
GoWoodsmen wrote:
slangman wrote:

Which comments of anyone here do that? And given this is a Magpies bulletin board (albeit one that non-supporters can read), I don't think such comments would count as throwing people under the bus, anyway. Also, it's a bit hard to throw people under the bus when their identities are unknown, unlike H; who gave the name initially, who used it, etc.?
While a subthread in this thread has been speculating, a lot of people on this thread feel concern or dismay or whatever based on the already 'known facts'. It's reasonable to take as 'known facts' the statements that mention Maxwell and Collingwood, unless the reports misrepresented Nick and the club to an appalling extent. Remember, these do indicate the nickname was used:
Quote:

Maxwell says of the "Chimp" nickname that Lumumba, with whom he was close, had never communicated to him that it hurt.
Collingwood on Friday said the nickname came about as a result of an incident at a party and was short-lived.

The very small part is already bad enough, even when one assumes or hopes for the best possible context. All this talk about 'context'... The racial connotations of "Chimp" are so strong that you have to be incredibly naive or foolish to use it... As others have already said...

think positive wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
thesoretoothsayer wrote:
<snip>

+ 1.

Yep. Wow, <snip>

Goodes was called an ape by a 13 year old and she said it was because he resembled one, and yet she needed education anyway. But it's ok to call Harry chimp because ....... what possible reason could it be that's acceptable, and we are talking about grown men, not a 13 year old!

<snip>.

I steadfastly disagree with you and context is important. Lets just sit back and view the program and see if context is given. At this time I am unwilling to condemn and think the worst of individuals like Maxwell who I have great respect for. I have always seen Maxy as a person of integrity and he certainly gained the respect of those who know him the most. H on the other had has a tendency to take offence easily. He seems to me somewhat fragile and sel centered.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:08 am

Member 7167 wrote:
K wrote:
Member 7167 wrote:
GoWoodsmen wrote:
slangman wrote:

Quote:

think positive wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
thesoretoothsayer wrote:
<snip>

+ 1.

Yep. Wow, <snip>

<snip>.

I steadfastly disagree with you and context is important. Lets just sit back and view the program and see if context is given. At this time I am unwilling to condemn and think the worst of individuals like Maxwell who I have great respect for. I have always seen Maxy as a person of integrity and he certainly gained the respect of those who know him the most. H on the other had has a tendency to take offence easily. He seems to me somewhat fragile and sel centered.

really? have you walked in his shoes? few points here. As much as i loathe all these special days which to me only points out our differences, the truth is that the majority of people of colour have dealt with nicknames, jokes, puns, and downright racism all their lives. casual racism. its still racism. I love and respect Maxy too, and im very disappointed if he doesnt realize the connotation that nickname has for people of colour, regardless of how it was meant. When your wife asks you if he bum looks big in this, i bet you sidestep around anything that might mean "large"or "flabby" or your going to get a backhander youll never forget. somethings just should not be said.

easily offended: im not black so i cant put myself in that spot, but i am 30% deaf, not deaf enough mind you, for people to feel the need to be helpful, polite, patient, but deaf enough to notice, for it to annoy people, for people to make a joke at my expense which i cant decipher, but i know its there, yes to laugh at me. And it hurts. and occasionally a little comment is that straw, that one little straw that breaks my back and i retaliate, show the pain, and people think "gees chill". but that little straw is just the one that tipped the bandwagon over, its piled onto too much weight, too many other straws. it gets the blame. (much like Jared Blair!).

self centered: show me an athlete who isnt!

dont worry i know for most men this just goes swoop, over the ear lobes. my husband included. maybe Harry has a feminine side, a feeling side.

im actually mentally strong as an ox, if you knew my whole story, you"d believe me! but its amazing how many times those little funny deaf jokes have brought tears to my eyes. i cant fix it. hearing aides just make the world louder, not clearer. Harry cant change the colour of his skin. and why should he want to? you dont call a coloured person chimp. end of story.

Adam Treloar 3 Votes 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:29 am

I agree with many of the posters on this, regardless of context you just don't go there, not ever. To do so risks offending someone deeply and invites serious trouble. I would have thought that as a club we would not have gone down that path given the Nicky Winmar incident.
K 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:28 am

Member 7167 wrote:
K wrote:
Member 7167 wrote:
GoWoodsmen wrote:
slangman wrote:

BINGO! <snip> It is the great non-thinking of our generation that as soon as someone utters a word people choose to apply their own intentions to it, rather than that of the person saying it. ... but what if the nickname came about because at a party he got up on a table and did an amazing impersonation of a gorilla or a "chimp"? I have to think that's possible but without context I'm sure as hell not going to jump to conclusions like so many.

Quote:

think positive wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
thesoretoothsayer wrote:
<snip>

+ 1.

Yep. Wow, <snip>

<snip>.

I don't think where we disagree is whether context matters. Yes, context is important, if by that one means that it affects the degree to which something is good/bad/okay. What I and others who think similarly are saying is that, given what is known, the best possible context is still disturbing or worse. That is presumably where you disagree.

This is not primarily about Maxwell, who we all believe is a person of integrity (and I guess was neither instigator nor participant, though one can take him to task for not acting to stop it). Nor is this even primarily about H, whose fragility or non-fragility does not change whether calling him that was appropriate or not.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:52 am

Adam Treloar 3 Votes wrote:
I agree with many of the posters on this, regardless of context you just don't go there, not ever. To do so risks offending someone deeply and invites serious trouble. I would have thought that as a club we would not have gone down that path given the Nicky Winmar incident.

Yep.

On this, on big footy, there is a picture of a Collingwood run through banner at vic park that says "sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me". I was attending nearly every game at that point in time, but I don't remember it, did my brain lock it out? Gees I hope it's just a mock up!

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:37 am

think positive wrote:
Member 7167 wrote:
K wrote:
Member 7167 wrote:
GoWoodsmen wrote:
slangman wrote:

Quote:

think positive wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
thesoretoothsayer wrote:
<snip>

+ 1.

Yep. Wow, <snip>

<snip>.

really? have you walked in his shoes? few points here. As much as i loathe all these special days which to me only points out our differences, the truth is that the majority of people of colour have dealt with nicknames, jokes, puns, and downright racism all their lives. casual racism. its still racism. I love and respect Maxy too, and im very disappointed if he doesnt realize the connotation that nickname has for people of colour, regardless of how it was meant. When your wife asks you if he bum looks big in this, i bet you sidestep around anything that might mean "large"or "flabby" or your going to get a backhander youll never forget. somethings just should not be said.

easily offended: im not black so i cant put myself in that spot, but i am 30% deaf, not deaf enough mind you, for people to feel the need to be helpful, polite, patient, but deaf enough to notice, for it to annoy people, for people to make a joke at my expense which i cant decipher, but i know its there, yes to laugh at me. And it hurts. and occasionally a little comment is that straw, that one little straw that breaks my back and i retaliate, show the pain, and people think "gees chill". but that little straw is just the one that tipped the bandwagon over, its piled onto too much weight, too many other straws. it gets the blame. (much like Jared Blair!).

self centered: show me an athlete who isnt!

dont worry i know for most men this just goes swoop, over the ear lobes. my husband included. maybe Harry has a feminine side, a feeling side.

im actually mentally strong as an ox, if you knew my whole story, you"d believe me! but its amazing how many times those little funny deaf jokes have brought tears to my eyes. i cant fix it. hearing aides just make the world louder, not clearer. Harry cant change the colour of his skin. and why should he want to? you dont call a coloured person chimp. end of story.

How far do you take this? Where is the line? Whose sensitivity is used for the test? Years ago there was a guy in one of the gyms I went to known as The Chimp because of the width of his lats and the way he used to knock out sets of weighted wide grip chins. He skin was darker than most. He may have been southern European. Was that racist?

It's very easy for someone to make an unintended mistake in these enlightened days that we live in. It may be said by some that you have just done that.

I know that you did not intend to do so, but your post arguably supports domestic physical violence in response to a mere comment. I understand that you were just joking, or made the comment in passing but there may be victims of domestic violence that would not see it that way.

Communication has become much more difficult now that the offence taken industry has grown so large.
Member 7167 Leo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:29 am

This is something that occurred when H first joined the club. What do you think the likely outcome in when you mix together a group of football team mates, the horsing around that is part of this culture, young men's egos and bravado and mix this with a party and alcohol.

At the time H did not take offence as he accepted the comments in the context in which they were said and meant. At the time H did not look at it being offensive as it wasn't meant to be offensive or a racial slur.

The other thing as it is H is now not you average bloke. It is obvious that he has problems coming to terms with who he is, his history and experiences in life. As an example, his reaction to the death of Muhammad Ali were quite unusual and it would not be a stretch to assess him as being very sensitive and having a tendency to over react to issues he is passionate about.

Even over this brief period of time societies values and perceptions have changed dramatically in this area. Judging what has occurred in the past from today's perspective can provide a very different result to the perception at the time the exchanges took place.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 6 of 36   

Jump to: