Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Rumour (now a REPORT): Jordan DeGoey set to re-sign

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:22 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Member 7167 wrote:
Woods wrote:
If JDG is harbouring any thoughts of signing on for big dollars at another club, he’d be well advised to pay close attention to the abuse that will be hurled by the Magpie Army at Daisy Thomas during the Carlton game this Sunday. This is what happens when a player leaves Collingwood for the wrong reasons, and JDG may have to endure this sort of treatment every time he plays against Collingwood for the rest of his footy career.

Why would you abuse Daisy Thomas. He was offered a sweetheart deal that we were not prepared to match. The fact is that the deal offered by Carton when considering his injury issues was not realistic at any level and he may never have played at even 80% of his capacity ever again. This view is vindicated in the fact that he has only come into form after all these years and the scum are not competitive.

I wish Daisy the best (but not when playing us)

Ditto!

I remember The first game against us after Pendles sat him on his bum, so funny! TBH I’ve never noticed him copping much at all, no more than other player of other teams, and certainly less than the likes of duckwood etc, and I sit next to the cheers squad. No biggie. The only one that really pissed me off was Davis, ungrateful sod

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:46 am

Craig, Allan, Nick or Leon?
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:20 am

^ Nicky 'Half Steps' Davis I suspect
K 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:07 pm

For comparison:

"Greater Western Sydney's star forward Toby Greene will play for less than half his annual salary next year to help the Giants deal with a tight salary cap.

Greene, who signed a huge six-year deal in March, is understood to be playing for close to the average AFL player's salary of about $300,000 to $350,000 - an arrangement that came after the Giants approached several key players following the 2017 season and asked them to re-negotiate contracts and accept less money in the short-term to help the club repair its then-bursting salary cap.

Greene, despite his record of indiscretions on and off the field, is a much-loved figure at GWS and is strongly committed to the club. He is still being paid handsomely by the Giants over the course of his new six-year deal, estimated to be average around $750,000 a season, with the amount much lower in the first season."

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/giants-star-toby-greene-playing-for-half-price-next-year-20180622-p4zn38.html
King Malta Leo

RIP Flip

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:50 am

Member 7167 wrote:
Woods wrote:
If JDG is harbouring any thoughts of signing on for big dollars at another club, he’d be well advised to pay close attention to the abuse that will be hurled by the Magpie Army at Daisy Thomas during the Carlton game this Sunday. This is what happens when a player leaves Collingwood for the wrong reasons, and JDG may have to endure this sort of treatment every time he plays against Collingwood for the rest of his footy career.

Why would you abuse Daisy Thomas. He was offered a sweetheart deal that we were not prepared to match. The fact is that the deal offered by Carton when considering his injury issues was not realistic at any level and he may never have played at even 80% of his capacity ever again. This view is vindicated in the fact that he has only come into form after all these years and the scum are not competitive.

This is the way I see it, Daisy would've been insane to turn down the contract that Carlton offered him.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:10 am

King Malta wrote:
Member 7167 wrote:
Woods wrote:

This is the way I see it, Daisy would've been insane to turn down the contract that Carlton offered him.

The Daisy deal worked out beautifully for Collingwood and for Daisy. My understanding is that at the time Collingwood were convinced that Daisy's injury was a major impediment to his future performances, so they only offered him about $500,000 pa in response to Carlton's $700,000 offer. Daisy wanted time to think about his options, and after a week or so, he told Collingwood he would turn down the Blues offer and accept Collingwood's terms. My mail is that at this point, Collingwood told him that their previous offer had lapsed and they were now only offering him about $350,000. Under the circumstances, it was a polite way of saying "phuck off to Carlton". Therefore, I bear no grudge toward Daisy at all. Good on him for getting his pot of gold from Carlton, and well done to Collingwood for recognising that Daisy was finished as a top player, and for enabling us to get a compensation pick, which we used to draft Scharenberg. The only loser out of this whole deal was Carlton. That's a perfect outcome in my book. Cool
K 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:31 am

^Rudey, if that version of events is accurate, then the club was disrespectful, almost dishonorable to him... I mean, if the offer is not genuine, that's highly disrespectful. If there's a time limit for acceptance, surely that needs to be made clear beforehand. The alleged club actions are not "polite", but simply disingenuous.
glasseyevfx 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:51 pm

^ agreed - on the face of it, a bad look. Also makes those that would boo him look twice as bad. That said - I don't know Thomas or the personalities behind it. I do think Eddie wouldn't let something like this happen without good reason.

At some point you have to have some faith

Seth 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:53 pm

K wrote:
^Rudey, if that version of events is accurate, then the club was disrespectful, almost dishonorable to him... I mean, if the offer is not genuine, that's highly disrespectful. If there's a time limit for acceptance, surely that needs to be made clear beforehand. The alleged club actions are not "polite", but simply disingenuous.

Well be sure to let them know then. Me I think good on them, here's your offer take it leave it, he left it, it expired and here's the new offer, see ya! He was not worth 500K back then and Carlton paid overs and it has bitten them on the arse now. He was only worth 350K back then anyway. A premiership legend for the Pies is the only way I will remember him. Perhaps if he had his time again?
E 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:57 pm

Rudey's story is entirely consistent with the social media chatter.

You will recall that just before Daisy went to Carlton, he sent a tweet to collingwood fans saying something to the effect that he had decided to stay. then 24 hours later, he was gone.

Even if Rudey's story isnt true, it is an entirely plausable scenario that the fans never hear about.

This is why i am always very careful to demand loyalty from players. while we the fans may be loyal to them (and therefor feel like we can demand loyalty in return), the club is a business and makes business decisions all the time that shows absolutely no loyalty to the players.

K 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:08 pm

^ Really? Should check to see if the tweet still exists, then... That would be interesting to see.
MJ23 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:57 pm

There was plenty going on throughout this period.

I had heard that Daisy's mgr used a generous Carlton offer to push us for more than what we had offered. From memory Pendles was signed for considerably more just before and well worth it. Daisy at this stage was not in the same league. Carlton was driving his price up and Im not sure they didnt get caught out when he accepted their offer after we withdrew ours.

It forced Bett's out who was prepared to stay for a lot less than the crows were offering but all of a sudden, Carlton couldn't afford him.

There was a lot of talk around how Daisy did not manage himself professionally while injured in his last years with us as well as some antics where he talked up carlton offer to his team mates.

End of the day I think there was gamesmanship from all of collingwood, Daisy and Carlton and while Dale left the pies he was paid way overs at Carlton without providing a return on that investment.

Hindsight suggests we did the right thing from a CAP perspective as well as using that compensation pick (11) to trade up to pick 6 and Matty Scharrenberg who is finally starting to repay the faith !!

I dont think blame is the right word for any party. Circumstance being what it was I think Carlton and Mick Benefited the least. I could be corrected as I couldn't care less about carlton decisions however he was never in Collingwoods leadership group and I dont beleive he has been in carltons.

Still, there is a genuine argument that suggests across both 2010 GF's he was cumulatively best on ground so I will never argue his life membership when it is offered.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:07 pm

Please sign soon Jordan, would be a positive story which we need.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:35 pm

Presti35 wrote:
Please sign soon Jordan, would be a positive story which we need.

Hear Hear Get it done Pies , stay staunch and Loyal Jordy we stuck by you.

www.facebook/the hybernators
WalZ_PieZ 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:16 am

Captain Pendles on his podcast said without hesitation he is confident De Goey will re-sign. That's good enough for me.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 6 of 14   

Jump to: