Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Introducing the Greatest midfield the AFL has ever seen.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:39 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel every footballer has their strengths and weaknesses and they definitely hone their strengths and train to reduce their weaknesses

A skill most cherished by all players is awareness and the ability to react as quick as possible to make that skill produce a plus for his team

Our most aware player shows us what awareness can produce —I talk of Pendlebury

It’s as tho plan A ,B & C come immediately to his attention and he can select
the right one—- he’s done this before your average player knows which way he will move

Awareness is the best skill for mine

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:58 am

TaylorMade,

You mean the article that lists Taylor Adams playing on a wing in the best Collingwood team? I don't tend to take much notice of articles written by people that seem to not know very much about the club or its players. Our club tends to have better knowledge than outsiders, and they rate Phillips highly.

You have listed some perceived faults with Phillips' game. All players have weaknesses but I think that you are fighting a losing battle with your stance on Phillips because you ignore what he can do. You mentioned before that you analyse players "to the bone". If you had analysed Phillips that way you would know that every week he busts a gut and outruns his opponents. He gets back and helps defend then pops up at the other end of the ground to kick goals. He doesn't do that riding a Segway - he does it because he is an elite runner. He is improving year on year with season's disposal averages of 17, then 21, then 25.5 last season, despite being tagged at times. His goal tallies were 3, then 9, then 15 in the corresponding seasons. If you want to compare his figures last season with Chris Mayne, Phillips had 8 possessions per week more, took more marks, tackled about the same, and kicked 3 times as many goals. I know that a lot of Mayne's value is in his pre-planned running patterns to help other players without actually getting the ball himself, but the comparison is still useful.

As to the supposed weaknesses of Phillips that you list above:
1. For most players composure comes with experience;
2. Sidebottom is older & has had more gym time. Daicos strong? In the VFL against children and part timers?
3. He doesn't get caught. He kicks as well on his right as Franklin does.
4 and 5. No doubt he is working on them.
6. Don't care what Buckley said - he wasn't talking about Phillips. Grundy would only get a game with us as a ruckman and he's not getting dropped either (yes, I know Grundy is mobile and gets many clearances etc.)

On the evidence that I have seen my 15 year old son is a better outside shooter than Ben Simmons. My son is just a suburban basketballer but despite his glaring weakness Ben Simmons is an athletic freak, is Australia's best athlete and sportsperson by so far there isn't even a sensible discussion about anyone else. He will sign a $150m contract at the 76ers when it is time to renew. By your reckoning Simmons should struggle to get a game as he has a weakness.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:01 am

And a player cannot have it all, because different strengths tend to oppose each other. e.g. the bigger you are, the harder it is to have running ability.

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
On the evidence that I have seen my 15 year old son is a better outside shooter than Ben Simmons. My son is just a suburban basketballer ...

Yep. Even more glaring example: I'm very confident that, at least with a lot of practice, I could be far better than Shaq was from the free-throw line. (I guess I'd need to look up Shaq's free-throw stats to be sure.)
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:07 am

K wrote:
TaylorMade wrote:

... A lot of people have failed to respond to my ... points of concern ... Its hard to have a discussion when people when they fail to at least respond to my points:

Welcome to Nick's, TM. I guess you're supposed to be grateful that a couple of people on this BB have not yet repeatedly and obsessively hurled personal abuse at you. There are people* who feel threatened if you simply ask a couple of questions. Don't worry, though. I think most people would agree that Flip is one-sided and kind of small.

* Let me be clear: Not those who've replied to you so far.

K,

Phillips has the perfect build for the position he plays. I am yet to see a marathon runner be dropped from a team because they can't bench or squat much weight. Robert Flower, Keith Greig and a host of others weren't too strong either.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:09 am

Yep, posts crossed, I think. (See my post above.)

On the other hand, it can pay to think outside the box. e.g. T. Wallace playing M. Richardson on the wing. Darcy, perhaps?!

Last edited by K on Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:12 am

Your post.
TaylorMade 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:13 am

5 from the wing on debut

Ben Simmons is COMPLETE in every other single aspect of the game. He is like Russel Westbrook. are u freaking kidding me? Are you trying to compare Tom Phillips to Ben Simmons lol. The thing with Thomas, is there is a shopping list of concerns. Not one.

And when i analyze, i do it to the Bone. For example:

I have 400 minutes of proof from our last 4 finals. This is when you learn most about your players. Not a sunday afternoon against carlton. How many goals did your elite wingmen score for us in the last 400 minutes?

Im not saying because Taylor Adams cant kick well ( although he is improving ) he isnt going to make the team. Taylor Adams like Ben simmons is a complete player in every other aspect of the game!!!

Please dont try use Grundy in the multiplue position argument. Ill let you off the hook and pretend you never said that, OK?

Dont care what Bucks says lol? He is already giving us clues mate...

Darren Millane, Peter Matera, Andrew McCloud thats my idea of a wingman

Lastly, regarding your first point. I agree Adams should not be on the wing. He should be in the middle...

Last edited by TaylorMade on Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
K 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:26 am

TaylorMade wrote:

& Stephenson. Wink
( http://magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?p=1833473#1833473 )
TaylorMade 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:29 am

True K,

Imagine Sidey on the left, Stephenson on the right

Im drooling...

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:33 am

BazBoy wrote:

A skill most cherished by all players is awareness and the ability to react as quick as possible to make that skill produce a plus for his team

Our most aware player shows us what awareness can produce —I talk of Pendlebury

It’s as tho plan A ,B & C come immediately to his attention and he can select
the right one—- he’s done this before your average player knows which way he will move

Awareness is the best skill for mine

You've described Pendles absolutely perfectly Bazboy. It really is an incredible ability he possesses. Magical. I suspect it's innate for him and is not something that's easily trained into all players, although coaches would sure like to try!!! .
TaylorMade 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:37 am

^
agree with Baz

I'd add evasiveness to Pendles abilitys. His vision and awareness could be great on Half-Back instead of Aish. Pendles is also a very strong mark. Maybe Pendles can help his good mate Quaynor, fit in back there as well...

TaylorMade 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:58 am

If i wanted to be harsh i could select stats to further suit my argument regarding Tom Phillips

Tom Phillips vs Chris Mayne ( 4 finals games )

Tackles : Phillips = 16 ... Mayne = 41
Goals : Phillips = 0 ... Mayne = 1
Clangers : Phillips = 9 ... Mayne = 4

I also forgot, Tom Phillips may have an engine. But that engine only has 2 gears, Low and Medium. Compare that with Treloar who is running an engine that has 6 gears and a twin-turbo upgrade...

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:05 pm

TaylorMade wrote:
5 from the wing on debut

Ben Simmons is COMPLETE in every other single aspect of the game. He is like Russel Westbrook. are u freaking kidding me? Are you trying to compare Tom Phillips to Ben Simmons lol. The thing with Thomas, is there is a shopping list of concerns. Not one.

And when i analyze, i do it to the Bone. For example:

I have 400 minutes of proof from our last 4 finals. This is when you learn most about your players. Not a sunday afternoon against carlton. How many goals did your elite wingmen score for us in the last 400 minutes?

Im not saying because Taylor Adams cant kick well ( although he is improving ) he isnt going to make the team. Taylor Adams like Ben simmons is a complete player in every other aspect of the game!!!

Please dont try use Grundy in the multiplue position argument. Ill let you off the hook and pretend you never said that, OK?

Dont care what Bucks says lol? He is already giving us clues mate...

Lastly, regarding your first point. I agree Adams should not be on the wing. He should be in the middle...

You have not understood what I said. It works best on this site when you are responding to another person, to respond to what they have actually said, and not to something they have not said.

What I was doing with Simmons was called an analogy. I was not saying that Phillips is similar to Simmons. That would be a ludicrous comparison. I was pointing out that Simmons has glaring weaknesses but is still a star. He has more than one weakness by the way, as his turnover count is way too high and is something that he really has to watch. In addition, he plays the game very differently to the way in which Westbrook does. Westbrook cares about himself. Simmons cares about his team.

I haven't referred to any elite wingmen, other than Flower and Greig. The wingman that I referred to was Phillips, but he is not elite as you seem to suggest. In the finals last season he didn't score but in terms of disposals he went 26, 29, 20 and 21. His performance in the GF was better than some of his much more highly rated and experienced team mates.

As for Buckley giving us clues, that is nonsense. Ignore 99% of what a coach says and treat the balance with disdain. If you think Grundy was not picked in our team as a ruckman, tell me which position he would play and whose position he would otherwise take?
TaylorMade 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:10 pm

5 from the wing on debut,

I'd rather not continue with Grundy topic, you should realise by now how silly that comment was...

One more point, because Phillips finished 6th on our best and fairest, does that suggest he is better and more important than Jordan DeGoey who finished 8th?

Does that mean the club rates him higher than JDG??

Your funny, i never said Phillips was elite, far FAR from it

Regarding what you said about Westbrook only caring about himself. He has the highest number of assists in the NBA

Try talk your way out of that one mate lol

That was just of the top of my head, upon further inspection, Westbrook averages 3 more assists than Simmons per game... which is funny if u consider Simmons is surrounded by elite shooters 3-4 of them. Russel Westbrook plays with only 1 elite shooter ( Paul George )

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:10 pm

My boy Aish name cropped up in this discussion and I ponder his retention in the best of our future

First saw him as I spent a Sunday in 2013 at an Adelaide pub —it was SAFL
Grand Final — he got BOG in Norwood flag side (at 16 he played the previous Norwood flag kicking the goal of the game) this done playing against men

Making 2012 & 3 SAFL all Australia status. Youngest in 134 yrs

Enough history and with the potential for Pendlebury to move potentially to a HB and the wings covered by Mayne and Phillips possibly

Where does my boy fit in the grand plan—-he has the talent

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 6 of 33   

Jump to: