Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Saints sink Pies. All comments, please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:27 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

uncanny wrote:
Johnno75 wrote:
I hated that complete bullshit from the coaching staff. I’d rather we go out with the mentality to play free flowing football and moving it forward as quickly as possible even if it means losing by 10 goals. We might actually win more games.

Like the Geelong game we go out there on full on defensive mode suck for the best part of 3 qtrs then when the game is all over we break the shackles and play some decent footy.

Can all the clowns in the coaches box just let the players play footy on instinct and see where that gets us.

plus one

+ 2. We get flogged, but we lose by learning good footy habits. Much better than losing close games by learning bad habits.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:28 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
Geek wrote:
Was thinking half way through the 3rd about how much I admired the supporters who were sticking around in the cold for that display. Even moreso after we got opened up properly late in the 3rd.

Glad for those rusted on diehards that they were given a little something by the boys late in the game.

I would not blame the Fans who left at 3qtr time

I went home at about the 12 minute mark of the 3rd. Was sick of the rubbish from our players and the umpires that I was watching and I thought it might rain. Cameron and De Goey missing [and to a lesser extent Daicos] in the 1st and 2nd Qs cost us a chance. Billy Elliott either leads too early and gets frustrated or on time and our guys don't kick to him. He should have pleaded to be traded, maybe he will this year.

However I thought Bianco had an excellent first half, Q was switched on and Poulter continues to grow.

I did chuckle at a Saints fan using the old chestnut "The dingo took the wrong Chamberlain!" though.

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:31 pm

piedys wrote:
Anyhoo, we aren't getting kicked off the park. Tick.

We were kicked off the park today for 3 quarters before the Saints “put the cue back in the rack” in your own words. 49 points down and should have been more if they would have kicked straight

1 goal in 3 quarters against Geelong. 1 goal in 3 quarters against Sydney.

woodys_world69 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:35 pm

Collingwood got more fans at the gabba last year then they have at the MCG this season

Piss poor performance all around
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:43 pm

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
piedys wrote:
Anyhoo, we aren't getting kicked off the park. Tick.

We were kicked off the park today for 3 quarters before the Saints “put the cue back in the rack” in your own words. 49 points down and should have been more if they would have kicked straight

1 goal in 3 quarters against Geelong. 1 goal in 3 quarters against Sydney.

Yeah, a damning set of data. 1 goal in 3 quarters in so many games. I had forgotten that record. Horrible, and an indictment. The fact that we dont get kicked off the park more regularly is due to either:
a) the opposition falls asleep and lets us kick a few feel good goals in the last quarter before they wake up
b) they secretly wish to convince us that we should persist with our game plan, by giving us false hope
c) they feel sorry for us and decide to take it easy
d) we say f@$! it...this game plan is bs. I'm just gonna play like i want to.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:07 pm

woodys_world69 wrote:
Collingwood got more fans at the gabba last year then they have at the MCG this season

Piss poor performance all around

Don't Blame People not wanting to watch the Utter Crap we put up for 3 Qtrs

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:11 pm

Cam wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
Geek wrote:
Was thinking half way through the 3rd about how much I admired the supporters who were sticking around in the cold for that display. Even moreso after we got opened up properly late in the 3rd.

Glad for those rusted on diehards that they were given a little something by the boys late in the game.

I would not blame the Fans who left at 3qtr time

I went home at about the 12 minute mark of the 3rd. Was sick of the rubbish from our players and the umpires that I was watching and I thought it might rain. Cameron and De Goey missing [and to a lesser extent Daicos] in the 1st and 2nd Qs cost us a chance. Billy Elliott either leads too early and gets frustrated or on time and our guys don't kick to him. He should have pleaded to be traded, maybe he will this year.

However I thought Bianco had an excellent first half, Q was switched on and Poulter continues to grow.

I did chuckle at a Saints fan using the old chestnut "The dingo took the wrong Chamberlain!" though.

Poulter and Bianco are the only real postives you take from these Games as they both look to have a Very Bright Future.

Like that Call on Chamberlin

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:16 pm

Time to ponder the defeat. Negatives, game plan not really changed, same old , we leave it far too long to get our act together, by then the horse has truly bolted. Sick of losing close games, guess we all are. Moore and Howe are shocking losses, we miss them so much. Positives, as i said earlier, we have not been flogged by any team, not for long time, even Cats, Tigers, Eagles, Dogs, Dees all been smashed, we havent, thats a big plus for me. Good to see Bluescum winning a few matches, now they wont sack Teague, meaning we have the best run at a new Coach, like Lyon, Clarko, Mitchell, etc. Thats a plus. We will retirements at seasons end Mayne, Sidey, maybe Roughead, plus delistings. We do have some very promising kids, Poulter, Murphy, McCreery , Bianco, Kelly etc and next year we get young Daicos be a very different young team. Maybe snare a couple of re cycled senior players, top up our list, depth. Look, doesnt take long to turn things around new top Coach, new attacking game plan, enthusiastic kids, new style, things can turn around, reasonably fast, I for one, see better days ahead, if we were getting smashed each week i would not, but we arent, so im staying positive for now, just ride this season out, and re load under a new very good Coach, under a new Board perhaps too,

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Charlie Oneeye Scorpio

charlie oneeye

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:19 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Charlie Oneeye, I don't agree. Hawthorn always look to me like a team that knows how to play - but just can't, yet, play that way. Collingwood has a distressing game plan that is all about about ceding the territorial advantage to the opposition and then trying to recover from full-back. It's a recipe for despair and it makes for very depressing viewing. It's quite informative that the couple of times we've burnt the game plan because we were plainly done (Geelong and St Kilda come to mind), we suddenly looked a little less worse.

I don't think most are baying for blood. It'll be nice to see the back of Harvey, of course - but that will happen soon enough.

Pls don't confuse my 'baying for blood' with being pissed off . I mean baying for blood with vitriol and hate. I did say 'the internet had', my comment wasn't directed at Nicks, which has a group of fantastic supporters and I enjoy it very much. It is also well run.

I don't agree Hawthorn is any 'better' than us. We were in the 18 GF and finals in 19 and 20. We are technically on the way down. Hawthorn on the other hand has been 'rebuilding' or re-strengthening (call it whatever) but they certainly had more time to be better than what they are showing now imho. They should be miles ahead, not just a drop kick.

That doesn't mean I don't respect the coach.. My point is highlighting the reality of getting a team winning more than it loses.

Perception is reality, neither of us has all the facts, just snapshots. I do see horns on everything we do, and a great big fat halo over Hawthorn.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:21 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Time to ponder the defeat. Negatives, game plan not really changed, same old , we leave it far too long to get our act together, by then the horse has truly bolted. Sick of losing close games, guess we all are. Moore and Howe are shocking losses, we miss them so much. Positives, as i said earlier, we have not been flogged by any team, not for long time, even Cats, Tigers, Eagles, Dogs, Dees all been smashed, we havent, thats a big plus for me. Good to see Bluescum winning a few matches, now they wont sack Teague, meaning we have the best run at a new Coach, like Lyon, Clarko, Mitchell, etc. Thats a plus. We will retirements at seasons end Mayne, Sidey, maybe Roughead, plus delistings. We do have some very promising kids, Poulter, Murphy, McCreery , Bianco, Kelly etc and next year we get young Daicos be a very different young team. Maybe snare a couple of re cycled senior players, top up our list, depth. Look, doesnt take long to turn things around new top Coach, new attacking game plan, enthusiastic kids, new style, things can turn around, reasonably fast, I for one, see better days ahead, if we were getting smashed each week i would not, but we arent, so im staying positive for now, just ride this season out, and re load under a new very good Coach, under a new Board perhaps too,

Please God Not Ross Lyon.

Might Take 2-3 Years to get back on Track Again

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:42 pm

Good to be back at the footy for the first time in six weeks. I've missed the experience.

We didn't deserve to win. Playing only one good quarter of football is a recipe for failure. The way the match played out mimicked what we saw against Geelong in round 11 when we only scored 1 goal for three quarters, before piling on 5 in the last and losing by 10 points which felt strange at the time.

I'm not too fussed about the coaching situation only because Harvey isn't going to be our coach beyond this year. We just have to ride it out for seven more games before the new senior coach is appointed.

This team is more than capable of playing good attacking football, so that gives me hope that we'll be okay, but old habits die hard. I don't think we can expect anything radically different from now until seasons end. If we can sneak a win or two here and there, then I can handle that.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:49 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Positives, as i said earlier, we have not been flogged by any team, not for long time, even Cats, Tigers, Eagles, Dogs, Dees all been smashed, we havent, thats a big plus for me.

So what? We're 4-11 and sitting third last on the ladder.

The Dogs and Demons haven't been "smashed" this season.

Melbourne's biggest loss of the season so far is 17 points against us on Queen's Birthday.

The Dogs' biggest loss of the season so far is 28 points against Melbourne.

Our biggest losses have been 30 point losses to GWS and Sydney.

JC Hartley Cancer

16 premierships now in the history books. Let's be the first club to 17 premierships.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:54 pm

In one of the most uninspiring displays of football I've ever seen, Collingwood produced three deplorable quarters of footy, before a late rally of goals in the final term saw the Magpies fall 9 points short of St Kilda. At one stage, the Saints had a lead of 49 points during time on of the third quarter, with a margin of 43 points at the last change. Collingwood gave the Saints too much time and space in the first three quarters which gave them enough opportunities to apply scoreboard pressure and hold on when it truly counted, despite the fact that St Kilda went goalless in the final term themselves with just two behinds, and allowed the Woods to have 11 shots at goal for a return of 5 goals. Only the players can answer why they did not impact the contest in the first three quarters, before extracting their digits to almost pull off a Houdini escape to end all escapes. Alas, that did not occur, and a superior performance is required next weekend.

There were only three categories that Collingwood won from the game, and that was handballs by +14 (164 - 150), while intercept possessions were won by +1 (68 - 67). and Marks Inside 50 had a margin of +7 ( 15 - 8 ). St Kilda won all of the other statistical categories, such as disposals by +33 (410 - 377), kicks were won by +47 (260 - 213), while contested possessions had an advantage of +11 (143 - 132), with uncontested possessions won by +15 (256 - 241). Hit-outs had a margin of +1 ( 39 - 38 ), +7 for clearances (40 - 33), centre clearances were up by +5 ( 13 - 8 ), while stoppage clearances were won by +2 (27 - 25). Uncontested marks went the way of the Saints by +7 ( 95 - 88 ), Contested Marks had a differential of +6 (12 - 6), while tackles were up by +10 (70 - 60), with Tackles Inside 50 won by +8 (14 - 6), and Inside 50s were won by +6 ( 54 - 48 ).

Taylor Adams (34 disposals @ 65%, 336 metres gained, 17 contested possessions, 17 uncontested possessions, 6 intercept possessions, 15 kicks, 19 handballs, 6 tackles, 2 goal assists, 5 score involvements, 4 clearances, 2 centre clearances, 2 stoppage clearances & 6 Inside 50s) was Collingwood's key extractor from stoppages to release his teammates into space, but when Adams found time and space to hit targets, he could not produce quality ball use every time. Leading by example is Adams' strength, his skill execution is not always consistent.

Jordan De Goey (32 disposals @ 78%, 486 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 26 uncontested possessions, 17 kicks, 15 handballs, 9 marks, 3 Marks Inside 50, 2 tackles, 10 score involvements, 3 clearances, 3 stoppage clearances, 6 Inside 50s & 1 goal) produced reasonable numbers across the board, unfortunately there were two shots at goal during the second term that he would've loved to have had back. Given where the team ended up, those behinds came back to bite the Magpies.

Scott Pendlebury (28 disposals @ 86%, 328 metres gained, 12 contested possessions, 16 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 10 kicks, 18 handballs, 4 marks, 6 tackles, 1 goal assist, 4 score involvements, 8 clearances, 2 centre clearances, 6 stoppage clearances, 3 Inside 50s & 4 Rebound 50s) displayed composure with effective ball use to create more time for himself to open up passages for his teammates. The Saints made a conscious effort to reduce Pendlebury's attacking potency which did prove to be telling and decisive.

Jack Crisp (23 disposals @ 78%, 453 metres gained, 8 contested possessions, 15 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 17 kicks, 6 handballs, 4 marks, 7 tackles, 2 goal assists, 6 score involvements, 4 clearances, 3 stoppage clearances, 7 Inside 50s & 3 Rebound 50s) performed admirably in his midfield role. Crisp gave his forwards opportunities to impact the scoreboard with effective ball use from the midfield.

Brodie Grundy (19 disposals @ 68%, 181 metres gained, 10 contested possessions, 9 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 33 hit-outs, 8 kicks, 11 handballs, 2 marks, 5 tackles, 2 score involvements, 3 Inside 50s & 3 Rebound 50s) had a game that was big on quantity, but his influence on the contest did not match the effort he had produced.

Chris Mayne (26 disposals @ 81%, 371 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 23 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 15 kicks, 11 handballs, 8 marks, 5 tackles, 3 score involvements & 6 Rebound 50s) provided great stability behind the ball in defence on a trying day for the Pies, with well-judged marks, regular tackles, and maintained possession at a high level once again to be amongst Collingwood's best players.

Isaac Quaynor (18 disposals @ 72%, 254 metres gained, 8 contested possessions, 10 uncontested possessions, 9 intercept possessions, 10 kicks, 8 handballs, 3 marks, 3 score involvements & 4 Rebound 50s) played with dare to take risks and regained possession regularly to start chains from defence.

John Noble (15 disposals @ 67%, 290 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 11 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 10 kicks, 5 handballs, 3 marks, 4 tackles, 4 score involvements & 5 Rebound 50s) won enough possessions to be influential, but could not break many lines to be truly beneficial and effective for his team to thrive successfully.

Jordan Roughead (14 disposals @ 71%, 272 metres gained, 2 contested possessions, 12 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 11 kicks, 3 handballs, 5 marks, 4 score involvements & 4 Rebound 50s) looked to kick as long as possible to a contest to give the team more time to defend, and managed to take some marks to prevent goals being conceded.

Jack Madgen (13 disposals @ 92%, 118 metres gained, 9 contested possessions, 4 uncontested possessions, 11 intercept possessions, 5 kicks, 8 handballs, 4 marks, 4 score involvements & 2 Rebound 50s) defended really well, played within his limitations and vastly reduced his skill errors.

Josh Daicos (20 disposals @ 65%, 260 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 11 kicks, 9 handballs, 4 marks, 6 tackles, 3 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 2 Inside 50s, 3 Rebound 50s & 1 goal) showed ability to win the ball around the ground in his 50th game. However, he could not take all of his chances at goal which was largely symbolic of the whole side.

Josh Thomas (17 disposals @ 82%, 293 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 14 uncontested possessions, 11 kicks, 6 handballs, 7 marks, 2 Marks Inside 50, 6 score involvements & 1 goal) was one of the few forwards who won a bit of the ball further up the ground, got involved in scoring chains, and like a number of his teammates, he also had his chances to kick accurately and wasted most of them.

Will Hoskin-Elliott (16 disposals @ 69%, 281 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 10 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 11 kicks, 5 handballs, 5 marks, 3 tackles, 3 score involvements, 3 clearances, 3 stoppage clearances, & 1 goal) worked hard for his possessions to take marks on the wing. Bobbed up late with a goal that kept the flame flickering until it got extinguished in the dying minutes.

Jamie Elliott (15 disposals @ 80%, 235 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 8 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 9 kicks, 6 handballs, 3 marks, 7 score involvements, 5 Inside 50s & 1 goal) booted a great goal early in the first term, before finding life extremely challenging for the remainder of the game. Stayed busy in scoring chains further up the ground for his team to start scoring.

Trent Bianco (12 disposals @ 92%, 145 metres gained, 11 uncontested possessions, 6 kicks, 6 handballs, 7 marks, 4 tackles & 6 score involvements) worked his way through a tough day up forward with high score involvement numbers, plenty of marks and adequate tackling numbers.

Brody Mihocek (8 disposals @ 62%, 167 metres gained, 3 contested possessions, 5 uncontested possessions, 6 kicks, 2 handballs, 6 marks, 2 Contested Marks, 4 Marks Inside 50, 1 goal assist, 6 score involvements & 2 goals) had an amazing quarter in the final term after he could not get near it in the first three quarters. Mihocek was synonymous of the team performance.

Mason Cox (8 disposals @ 88%, 114 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 3 uncontested possessions, 4 kicks, 4 handballs, 6 marks, 2 Contested Marks, 2 Marks Inside 50, 2 tackles, 2 Tackles Inside 50, 3 score involvements & 1 goal) bobbed up late like Mihocek to clunk a couple of marks up forward, and chimed in with a goal deep into time on of the last quarter. I would've preferred Cox to take a shot at goal instead of passing short to Mihocek. Cox was in a better position to score that goal and did not want responsibility to convert it. I fear that Cox is no longer the assured forward he previously was, and it will remain to be seen if list management staff have a place for him after this season which is diminishing by the week at present.

Collingwood's next game will be against Richmond on July 11 at the MCG. Big opportunity next weekend to exploit a weakened Tigers outfit who have lost most of their best defenders in recent weeks. For that to occur though, the Magpies will need to play well for four quarters and not leave it until the 4th quarter to win the game. It drives me spare knowing that Collingwood waited until the last quarter of their last two matches to challenge for victories and failed each time. Do the work early, before finishing games off, Woods! Do that, and victories will occur over the coming weeks.

Last edited by JC Hartley on Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:59 pm; edited 4 times in total
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:55 pm

Jezza wrote:
Good to be back at the footy for the first time in six weeks. I've missed the experience.

We didn't deserve to win. Playing only one good quarter of football is a recipe for failure. The way the match played out mimicked what we saw against Geelong in round 11 when we only scored 1 goal for three quarters, before piling on 5 in the last and losing by 10 points which felt strange at the time.

I'm not too fussed about the coaching situation only because Harvey isn't going to be our coach beyond this year. We just have to ride it out for seven more games before the new senior coach is appointed.

This team is more than capable of playing good attacking football, so that gives me hope that we'll be okay, but old habits die hard. I don't think we can expect anything radically different from now until seasons end. If we can sneak a win or two here and there, then I can handle that.

yes.. agree mostlly jezza...except would like to see us use the last few games to our pedagogical benefit going forward, and unfortunately I have no confidence that will happen.
but given that we will be clearing the decks at the end of the year, that is a minor disadvantage.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:59 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

Please God Not Ross Lyon.

Might Take 2-3 Years to get back on Track Again

Absolutely not Ross Lyon. By selecting Luke Ball on our selection panel, I think we were subtly signalling to Lyon that he should immediately vacate the field of opportunity (to express it politely)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 6 of 11   

Jump to: