Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 151, 152, 153  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Return of the baldfacts 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:51 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

SwansWay wrote:
I was initially against it but I've had my mind changed. He's not as much of a target for the Brisbane mids when you've got those other talls and Charlie Cameron commanding the ball. He'd probably be okay at Collingwood.

I don't think anybody needs to worry about him getting overs. The new guard at Collingwood don't throw godfather contracts willy nilly like Ned Guy used to.

Reported by John Ralph that the offer is $600K per year over 5 years. That is massive overs for a key forward who has not kicked more than 28 goals in any year.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:45 pm

We've spent years bemoaning our lack of a premium tall forward target but I tell you what I'd settle for another key tall as good as Mihocek.
He may well sit one rung below the likes of a Hawkins, Lynch or McKay but he's still been a beauty and is arguably having his best season.
Question is however whether McStay has the capacity to be that player.
While he seemingly possesses some of the same building blocks that Mihocek has in terms of covering the ground well and being a capable mark, I remain to be convinced he's as good at scrapping goals from ground ball gathers or is the same high level competitive beast.

If we re-sign de Goey or can manage to gain McStay whilst retaining suitable compensation for de Goey should he leave then I'm open minded enough to give the guy a chance and see if he can flourish with greater responsibility / opportunity at Collingwood.
Losing de Goey however for nothing via F/A because we took on McStay wouldn't be an outcome that many Collingwood supporters would be enthused by as he's not in the same league as those currently available next season in a McKay or Curnow.

swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:59 pm

Pies2016 wrote:

Watched a player on the weekend
and thought he would look very good in black and white. Think Jamie Elliot Mk 2 but younger and with a nasty streak. Cam Zurhar ( ? ) He’s on that list and who wouldn’t want to get out of North. Reckon he would be fantastic addition with a decent mid field in front of him. Tough, goes hard, evasive and kicks goals. I hope he’s on our short list.

It took you till the weekend to realise this? Wink

Zurhaar is a huge talent and the player I'd target if de Doey goes elsewhere.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:24 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:

Watched a player on the weekend
and thought he would look very good in black and white. Think Jamie Elliot Mk 2 but younger and with a nasty streak. Cam Zurhar ( ? ) He’s on that list and who wouldn’t want to get out of North. Reckon he would be fantastic addition with a decent mid field in front of him. Tough, goes hard, evasive and kicks goals. I hope he’s on our short list.

It took you till the weekend to realise this? Wink

Zurhaar is a huge talent and the player I'd target if de Doey goes elsewhere.

Swoop, You gotta remember, nobody watches North these days.
Another rookie selection too. They’re out there.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:13 pm

Presti35 wrote:
Im fine with going for mcstay, but the wage needs to be right

Darcy Cameron is already a better key forward than McStay, and he can ruck too. https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=20&playerStatus2=A&tid2=5&type=A&pid1=3942&pid2=6373&fid1=C&fid2=C

If we get McStay, do we play 3 tall forwards with him, Checkers and Cameron with Grundy 1st ruck changing forward?

On limited sightings, I'd prefer Kreuger as Checkers partner with Cameron. Far more upside.

Return of the baldfacts 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:21 pm

The other knock on McStay according to Jonathon Brown is that Brisbane's talls are too nice. If this applies to McStay, then another cross against him.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:10 pm

Return of the baldfacts wrote:
The other knock on McStay according to Jonathon Brown is that Brisbane's talls are too nice. If this applies to McStay, then another cross against him.

We all want one of the King twins, Curnow or McKay ( although I wouldn’t say either of those come with a brutal, nasty streak either ) but you’re talking at around 1,000,000 > a year and a record breaking trade if free agency isn’t involved. When you put those numbers in context, I’m not sure McStay is getting overs. I’d suggest it’s close to market price for a key forward who continues to get a game in a good side every week ( and comes without a trade ) I’m not trying to sell him at all. I’m quite open minded about him coming to Collingwood or not because there really are so many directions we can go in during the upcoming trade period. But I am learning very quickly, to not be quick to pass early judgement on anything that involves G. Wright’s input.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:29 pm

trust in McCrae!
swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:53 am

think positive wrote:
trust in McCrae!

Even better McRae! Razz

Last edited by swoop42 on Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:06 am; edited 1 time in total
swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:54 am

Career comparison between Mihocek and McStay.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=5&playerStatus2=A&tid2=20&type=A&pid1=6553&pid2=3942&fid1=C&fid2=C

Current 2022 season comparison.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=5&playerStatus2=A&tid2=20&type=A&pid1=6553&pid2=3942&fid1=S&fid2=S

Mihocek 2019 season comparison vs McStay same age (2021)

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=5&playerStatus2=A&tid2=20&type=A&pid1=6553&pid2=3942&fid1=P&fopt1=2019&fid2=P&fopt2=2021

swoop42 Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:06 am

I'm open minded enough to consider McStay could become Mihocek mark II and who wouldn't want two of him running around each week?

My biggest problem with obtaining McStay is the inevitable occurrence of good Collingwood people butchering his name and referring to him as McSatay on this board.

WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:43 am

A forward line with Checkers, Kruegs and McStay, one of the rucks resting forward and then Ginny and Beau at their feet would be quite intriguing, Your 4th best back better be able to play tall. That's even without Jamie or Ollie.
mattdally 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:54 am

Available trade target - GWS' Tanner Bruhn.
Liked a few of his games this year. Goal kicker, hard at it. Would compliment our mids. He's an in and under.

1st round pick in 2020 - no deal yet - Victorians.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:35 am

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
A forward line with Checkers, Kruegs and McStay, one of the rucks resting forward and then Ginny and Beau at their feet would be quite intriguing, Your 4th best back better be able to play tall. That's even without Jamie or Ollie.

If you add Cameron into the mix of Krueger, McStay and Checkers, it would make some sense if either Krueger or McStay were trialled in the back line during the off season. Both have played as defenders in their early days and generally it’s easier to make it as a key defender rather than a key forward.
There’s so many wild cards on our list we still haven’t unwrapped with Dean, Johnson, Carmichael and Krueger. If we knew enough that Dean and Krueger were going to step up, then McStay would almost be superfluous to our immediate needs. Like I have said previously, it’s going to be an exciting trade / draft period
Return of the baldfacts 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:52 am

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:

That forward line would be far too top heavy. Hope McStay stays at the Lions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 151, 152, 153  Next
Page 6 of 153   

Jump to: