Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies down to Blues. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:24 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we did release our retro ‘90s gear, and let’s be honest, Carlton owned us during the ‘90s, so I guess we played on-brand tonight.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:25 am

Piesnchess wrote:
My last points on this putrid match then I shall never mention it again. .... Finally , avoid the media like a plague, that prick Cornes willl be doing hand spring of joy, writing us off, as will most in the footy media, parroting the line we have been worked out, now. Avoid all the doom and glooom media, I sure am, had enough of their anti Collingwood crap over the years, until late next week, footy commentators can all get stuffed, just dont listen to them. Well, thats my take, now the match is closed to me. Closure.

They have been blowing smoke up our arse all year, for NO OTHER reason than to gloat should we fail in September, which is what they silently pray for, when the cameras are off, and their dog-turd wrapping newspapers are off to print.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:30 am

Raw Hammer wrote:
Well, we did release our retro ‘90s gear, and let’s be honest, Carlton owned us during the ‘90s, so I guess we played on-brand tonight.

late 1994 through to 2000 was a total abuse of the head-to-head ratio.

From that 1994 rnd 2 game [McGuane goal of century win], through to round 3, 2000. 6 years of straight losses. NEVER FORGET.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:38 am

Casual Observations:

1. We were off and deserved to lose
2. Last two matches: Curnow 7 free kicks inside 50m for 7 goals: the fix is in
3. Moore: has always been a flat kicker. No more kick ins
4. Ensure Quaynor kicks in every time
5. T Adams worst game of entire career
6. Cox looks bereft
7. Despite two misses McStay showed something
8. Can anyone tackle Cripps and HOLD HIM?
9. Howe: we may have found something here
10. Mistakes Central by us tonight
11. Mihocek: 3rd out 4 games goalless. Wake up!!!!
12. DON'T PANIC

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:41 am

13. Cooked
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:55 am

doriswilgus wrote:
I sensed a bit of hubris in this game.The players started off like a house on fire,then just disappeared for two quarters.It seemed to start with Darcy Moore continually kicking it to Carlton players which resulted in goals,then the contagion spread to the rest of the team.Oh,well you can’t win them all,I suppose.

But some players are seriously out of form,Cox just isn’t offering anything at the moment,and I don’t think Lipinski is best 23 either.I think it’s time to drop both players,and give Ash Johnson and Frampton a go again.They couldn’t be any worse than some of the players were tonight.

my thoughts exactly on cox and lippa

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:56 am

inxs88 wrote:
Casual Observations:

1. We were off and deserved to lose
2. Last two matches: Curnow 7 free kicks inside 50m for 7 goals: the fix is in
3. Moore: has always been a flat kicker. No more kick ins
4. Ensure Quaynor kicks in every time
5. T Adams worst game of entire career
6. Cox looks bereft
7. Despite two misses McStay showed something
8. Can anyone tackle Cripps and HOLD HIM?
9. Howe: we may have found something here
10. Mistakes Central by us tonight
11. Mihocek: 3rd out 4 games goalless. Wake up!!!!
12. DON'T PANIC

well said

next

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:57 am

think positive wrote:
nomadjack wrote:
ANNODAM wrote:
Totally get why BNE moved McStay on, they just don’t readily give up good players.

The guy's been back for three games following a long-term injury and has kicked two goals each game. Wtf do you want from him? He presented well tonight and was our only tall forward that looked like having an impact. He's a role playing workhorse... nothing more nothing less.

i agree,
id be inclined to play Ash instead of checkers next week

Checkers and Ash are the right combo overall, I reckon, assuming Checkers is fit. Playing McStay is the right thing to do now, though, to make sure he's ready to go come finals should we need him.

But Ash is more dangerous than McStay as he can both lead and take a pack grab, as well as kick difficult set shots and team lifters.

Fingers crossed Ginni plays another big one in the seconds. We need the X-factor that both he and Ash have, with more from Ginni over four quarters, as he did in the VFL last week.

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:10 am

Does Nick Daicos need to go back to defence, or am I way off?

I do feel he generally handles kick-ins far better than Moore did tonight. But that might not be saying much!

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:18 am

Disappointing night, but Carlton were the better team and deserved the win.

We did ourselves no favours with poor kicking in front of goal and higher than average turnovers. Carlton's a strong contested ball and stoppage team, and they beat us well in these areas.

Apart from Howe, Cameron and maybe De Goey who did a good job on Cripps, I think everyone else was below their usual standards. One thing that was noticeable and the same thing happened against Brisbane earlier in the year was us pressing up the ground too high which allowed Carlton easy goals out the back with spare players on their own.

Our top 2 leading goal kickers (Mihocek and Elliott) did not kick a goal between them this evening. I'm struggling to think of the last time when that happened prior to this match.

Howe was a shining light and it's given us another option up forward. I think Cox is now in serious danger of losing his spot in the senior side. I can see a scenario where Frampton is brought in at Cox's expense and sent to the backline to fill Howe's defensive position, and Howe himself will spend more time up forward in the future.

We're in a dilemma at the moment as to who our best 22 (or 23) is. It's testament to our great depth that we're spoilt for choice, but I think we need to identify the right combination sooner rather than later and stick with it. I'm not sure if the coaching staff know themselves what the best team is if all things are equal.

There's no need to panic as we're still on top of the ladder and it rests in our hands when it comes to ensuring we get a home Qualifying Final. Fly has said numerous times it's all about first qualifying for the finals, then qualifying for top 4 and then qualifying for the top 2. We've ticked off 2 of those 3 objectives already.

Last edited by Jezza on Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:37 am; edited 1 time in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:33 am

Jezza wrote:

We did ourselves no favours with poor kicking in front of goal and higher than average turnovers. Carlton's a strong contested ball and stoppage team, and they beat us well in these areas.

Apart from Howe, Cameron and maybe De Goey who did a good job on Cripps, I think everyone else was below their usual standards. One thing that was noticeable and the same thing happened against Brisbane earlier in the year was us pressing up the ground too high which allowed Carlton easy goals out the back with spare players on their own.

Our top 2 leading goal kickers (Mihocek and Elliott) did not kicked a goal between them this evening. I'm struggling to think of the last time when that happened prior to this match.

Howe was a shining light and it's given us another option up forward. I think Cox is now in serious danger of losing his spot in the senior side. I can see a scenario where Frampton is brought in at Cox's expense and sent to the backline to fill Howe's defensive position, and Howe himself will spend more time up forward in the future.

We're in a dilemma at the moment as to who our best 22 (or 23) is. It's testament to our great depth that we're spoilt for choice, but I think we need to identify the right combination sooner rather than later and stick with it. I'm not sure if the coaching staff know themselves what the best team is if all things are equal.

There's no need to panic as we're still on top of the ladder and it rests in our hands when it comes to ensuring we get a home Qualifying Final. Fly has said numerous times it's all about first qualifying for the finals, then qualifying for top 4 and then qualifying for the top 2. We've ticked off 2 of those 3 objectives already.

spot on mate,

we looked tired, when did we ever give a team so much space!

its cool, let them blow smoke up their arses, that was their best, it was so far from ours!

gees talk about umpire pets though, they have 2! unbelievable!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:33 am

Jezza wrote:

Our top 2 leading goal kickers (Mihocek and Elliott) did not kicked a goal between them this evening. I'm struggling to think of the last time when that happened prior to this match.

spot on mate,

its cool, let them blow smoke up their arses, that was their best, it was so far from ours!

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:41 am

think positive wrote:
spot on mate,

I wonder whether some of the tiredness or fatigue can be attributed to a six-day turnaround from a physically taxing and wet game against Port last week.

Curnow's frees in front of goal were infuriating.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:40 am

Fly's presser

You came up against a pretty good side tonight.
Quote:
"Yeah credit to them, I thought they dominated major parts of the game particularly the contested possession in the second quarter, it was overwhelming you know that just the energy around the contest and clearance. It put us right on the back foot and it made it really difficult to get the game on our terms particularly in that part of the game".

Is being two games clear on top enabled your players to 'relent' a little bit?
Quote:
"Hard to know, how do you measure that? But no, you give credit to the opposition first and then you look at what we need to improve. I think that you know the way they've been playing, clearly they've been playing in great form and they've turned the game around in certain parts of their game and their pressure is high and defending well. I think credit to what Michael's [Voss] has done and I'm really happy for him; just not that happy tonight. Then you get to us, we are in the business of getting better. This is a marathon and you just have to keep improving you. We've had a great season to date, but it's not finished. There is still so much work to do, so you're just learning lessons along the way and looking at things that you can improve on. We have to get better and tonight is an example of it but it's not just tonight, I think you can't stand still in this game because teams take things away from you really quickly, so we're going have to improve".

After such a hard game last week against Port Adelaide, is it possible that might have caused you to be a bit flat tonight?
Quote:
"The only way we can measure that is through our GPS, so we'll have a look at that early in the week and we'll see if there's any markers there that are off. Face value it's hard to tell. I thought we generated enough scoring shots. We were forced potentially to play a different version in the second quarter because we lost so much contest, but I didn't think we played our style in the second quarter. I thought we went away from who we are. I mentioned it at half time and then in the third quarter I thought we came out okay. We just didn't execute. We had +12 inside 50's or something like that and we kicked 2 goals, 5 [behinds]. Previous weeks we've been taking our chances, but tonight we didn't. I think we generated more scoring shots in the end, but it doesn't mean we were the better team. I thought they were clearly the better team, but we had enough chances. Hard to know that's energy levels executing; be hard to say".

Is this result a timely reminder that the competition is very tight and if you're a few percent off, it can be the difference between winning and losing?
Quote:
"We've been under no illusion this is a tough competition right from the start. We've got a big game every week. It just seems that's what it is. We embrace all that and step into it. We'd like to think you're walking our four walls you wouldn't know if we won or lost. We're just in the business of trying to improve ourselves individually and collectively. Tonight we've probably got a few bigger things to look at in terms of things we didn't quite execute".

Have you got a little trick up your sleeve with Jeremy Howe being moved forward and having an impact?
Quote:
"This is the business we're in looking for opportunities that the game wasn't. They had Curnow and maybe resting ruckman down there, but it presented an opportunity to Howie who was on smalls and we thought well let's try him in a couple of different roles. A little bit of wing and then forward and he's a quality player".

What was your thinking around Mason Cox being subbed off?
Quote:
"Mason's last couple of weeks haven't been his best for the season, let's call it what it is. We just wanted to change it up a bit. We wanted to try to play faster, which means it has to be a cost somewhere and that's why Howie went forward. We had a second ruck through Dan [McStay]. It just is what it is, we just made a decision that we thought we could get a benefit somewhere else".

Daniel McStay looked a bit sore in the end, any concerns?
Quote:
"No, he is just a bit sore. I think he might have been cramping a little bit, but he presented well. Dan's marking the ball well. Showing all the signs of why we got him to the club and I think he's going to get better as the season goes on. He's missed a lot of footy".

Your list is probably the healthiest it's been on the injury front, are you finding it difficult balancing the team and keeping everyone happy especially those on the fringes?
Quote:
"Yeah it's always difficult, there's always a cost isn't there? I think I've had 5, 6, 7 conversations with the guys on the fringe this week about where they sit, what we're thinking, are we forecasting anything. We got Billy Frampton, looking forward to seeing how he plays tomorrow. Ash Johnson and Jack Ginnivan and these guys have been in good form at VFL level, so it's a good problem because it puts pressure on and if you don't execute then someone might be jumping up to take your spot. We missed Bobby Hill tonight with his pressure around the ball. We'll see how that progresses next week".

Do you expect Bobby Hill to be available next week?
Quote:
"I think so. He was quite ill the last couple of days and trying to get himself up to run today and just couldn't get himself going. We're anticipating he trains well and he will be available".

It was reported illness had swept through the club?
Quote:
"No, that's not true. We we're very strategic in our planning of guys that can come in the building. Are we being a bit conservative? maybe. The stats say that we're 8th or 9th in terms of people missing games from illness. I think we're just potentially being a bit conservative with guys being in our building, but there will be no excuses for illness".

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/1388891/-we-have-to-get-better-mcrae?videoId=1388891&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1690553883001

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:48 am

Jezza wrote:
think positive wrote:
spot on mate,

I wonder whether some of the tiredness or fatigue can be attributed to a six-day turnaround from a physically taxing and wet game against Port last week.

Curnow's frees in front of goal were infuriating.

THE BLUES, prior match was a friggin cakewalk, against the lowly inept eagles,ours was a boiling hot pressure test, a virtual final, at Ports ground, just totally exhausting, and it showed last night. Plus, fof heavens sakes, bring in Jack ginni and Ash, we badly missed their input. Bluescum played at their best, we played at no more than 60%, if that, im sure not panicking, we will learn from that loss a lot. Surprised

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 6 of 14   

Jump to: