Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What pisses you off?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 553, 554, 555 ... 717, 718, 719  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
partypie 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:27 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

WPT, I am really sorry your car is damaged and it sounds as if you aren't injured. The insurance company wanted to write my car off last year when it was vandalised but I withdrew my claim and was lucky enough to get it fixed for less than the excess.

If these dumb drivers were made to sit in a hospital ward for a few days and see the misery they cause maybe they wouldn't drive like the way they do.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:46 am

That's stiff WPT.

I'm aware of something that may work, but you'll need to research the details. If you accept the $5k you can then make an offer to buy the car back for less and get it repaired privately. On that basis you can potentially get the car repaired AND make a small profit.

The other trick to watch in that though is that once the car is declared a repairable write off you have potentially some extra hoops to jump through to keep it registered.

In regards to ethnic observations, isn't the truth a defence? Wink

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:48 am

We can't all be perfect.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:30 am

stui magpie wrote:
That's stiff WPT.

I'm aware of something that may work, but you'll need to research the details. If you accept the $5k you can then make an offer to buy the car back for less and get it repaired privately. On that basis you can potentially get the car repaired AND make a small profit.

The other trick to watch in that though is that once the car is declared a repairable write off you have potentially some extra hoops to jump through to keep it registered.

If the vehicle is written off by the insurance company, you will need to get a VIV to put it back on the road. Old car like that could be difficult. To give you a clue, when we bought my daughters car last year, it was stolen and recovered, but it's like it was lost in a parking garage or something, it's like new. The only damage was a small hail stone size dint in the sill panel, which is actually under the car. (Looked like Mannheim did it with the forklift) It in no way damaged the integrity of the chassis, but We had to fix it. They also picked some missing paint inside the chassis rails, which had to be sprayed. (That I didn't mind, stops the rust, and the car is in pristine condition). The VIV inspection, repairs, and reinspection added almost $2000 to the price. And lunch with David.

If they call it a non repairable write off, it's parts only value.what is the car? If it's in good nick apart from this damage, and depending on what it is, someone could buy it at the auctions to do up, for more than you think it's worth. Like an old GT or Torana.

Grab your self a glass of wine, get on line with Manheim auctions, check out the ex government and the damaged cars. The damaged cars are not all damaged! Most are on the WOVR (written off vehicle register) not all, my bug wasn't . You would be surprised what you can pick a car up for. My daughters car, even with the repairs and VIV was under $8,500 on the road, top of the range 2009 Holden cruz sedan, with 16,000 klm on the clock. It still has that new car smell!

If the add says repairable write off, your up for a VIV. if it says not on the WOVR register, you just need a RWC and rego. (Like mine, I had it on the road in less than a week) when you have to find something, it's a good option. In the government section, the cars are not on the WOVR, and only need a RWC and rego. They all have full service history. The chassis number is on the listings, you can double check with Vic roads before you buy, it's on the web site, Google vicroads vehicle check, just do the free one, not the paid one. I can send you the link. Any car you buy, especially privately, do this check before you hand over any money.

The other thing to think of, how old is the car that's damaged? Parts for older cars get rare, and expensive. Depending wether it is drivable, or damaged enough to be a cop magnet, it may be too expensive to keep it. If you do however, take photos before its fixed, you have to have before photos for the VIV.

2 things, I'm glad your ok, that's always the important one.
Secondly, it should be a mandatory part of vehicle registration to have third party insurance. And don't any body give me that shit about can't afford it: if you can't, you can't afford to drive, get off the road until you can. I don't care how good a driver you think you are, shit happens sometimes, and your irresponsible actions shouldnt cause more pain to someone else.

Good luck mate, that stinks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:19 am

stui magpie wrote:

Yup!

think positive wrote:
If the vehicle is written off by the insurance company, you will need to get a VIV to put it back on the road. Old car like that could be difficult. To give you a clue, when we bought my daughters car last year, it was stolen and recovered, but it's like it was lost in a parking garage or something, it's like new. The only damage was a small hail stone size dint in the sill panel, which is actually under the car. (Looked like Mannheim did it with the forklift) It in no way damaged the integrity of the chassis, but We had to fix it. They also picked some missing paint inside the chassis rails, which had to be sprayed. (That I didn't mind, stops the rust, and the car is in pristine condition). The VIV inspection, repairs, and reinspection added almost $2000 to the price. And lunch with David.

Same story with a Berlina we bought for the Step Daughter, had the RWC done. The paint was peeling but the car was in great mechanical condition and the interior was good. Rang VicToads to book it in for reg and smack it's a repairable write off, turned out to be the paint. We had to have the car repainted for this damn VIV check. It added an extra $2000 to what was going to be a nice but cheap first car for her. That was almost two years ago and she still hasn't even got her learners(she'll be 23 soon), her mum drives it around for her. So basically we gave the other half's obese lazy ex a car. mutter mutter mutter.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:32 am

Thanks guys: PP, Stui & TP (& David Rolling Eyes ), rang my motor mechanic. Have had him since 1996: Reliable & trustworthy. He reckons take the money. While it is a good car it's just a matter of time before something major goes. I don't kow if I could be f*cked trying to but it a resell it though that is a good idea.

Mrs WPT & her mate / business partner in their hoarding business are looking at getting a vehicle (small long wheel based car) for the business. She is getting rid of her car - leaving one car between her & her partner; Mrs WPT would be able to use the business car as a second vehicle. Might be going down that track at the minute but needs more exploration.

On the down side:

Nice car it was, My late FIL garaged it, & was obsessive about "Sylvia" he charted notes about it, noises, would often do as much of the service as he could. Lots of country kilometres - they would drive 100's of K's most days of thr week from Boort in Northern Vic, that's why the car ran so well.

Was going to be Ms WPT Juniors car when she was 18 when her Grandad couldn't drive it anymore. Let her know when we stopped off in Bendigo en route to Boort. Well, you should have seen the tiara fall off the head in a hurry: "Granddad's car, I'm not gunna have Granddad's smelly car". She's 21 now & is now going to start learning to drive & would've been happy to have it.

On the positive side:

No one got hurt
Gunna get back on the bicycle (gunna have to)

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:33 pm

Probably a stupid question but do you get to keep the car as well as receive the insurance payout?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:54 pm

generally No. If the insurance company pays you out, they own the car and do with it what they want.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:53 pm

stui magpie wrote:
generally No. If the insurance company pays you out, they own the car and do with it what they want.

Bummer.

If you had some nice wheels, new tyres or other parts that weren't standard on your car that were undamaged (and hard to get) I'd be less than overjoyed in giving them up for a sum of money that in reality wouldn't cover the full cost of purchasing the same vehicle with those modifications.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:00 pm

Some insurance mobs do offer that.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:30 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Probably a stupid question but do you get to keep the car as well as receive the insurance payout?

As Stui said not likely, it will be theirs. However, I've upped my claim for the extra amount I'd just spent on it. Even though it's done a few K's it drives really well - like an old comfy couch, great turning circle & easy to drive.

mandy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:05 am

3 things:

1) My Foxtel signal has been out since about 4pm yesterday.
2) Technician can't come until Tuesday.
3) Judge Judy is not on Foxtel Go.

#SIDEBYSIDE

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:19 am

mandy wrote:
3 things:

1) My Foxtel signal has been out since about 4pm yesterday.
2) Technician can't come until Tuesday.
3) Judge Judy is not on Foxtel Go.

Foxtel are just playing repeat after repeat anyway.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:27 am

It's all your fault WPT, u and your car talk. Drove juniors car to ikea yesterday because I was buying something there, and then going on to Thomastown to get something else, that simply would not fit in a tiny EOS! I left at 10 no traffic, got what I wanted, and a dress for the Kenny rogers concert, a pressie for my SIL (liked it so much got me one too!), some squid for lunch, back to the car by 11.45. hmmmmm. $$%^%%$ car. Started no problem. Won't run. Rev it, nope. Don't rev it, nope. It's had a problem since we got it. Changed the fuel pump twice: once just because well it seemed to be the problem, then pulled it out to empty maybe 2 litres of water out, (junior, put the lid on before you flush the spilt fuel), was damaged putting it back in, managed to get another under warranty. But still, sometimes, when it feels like it, and especially when it's warm, you just wonder if you are going anywhere. But not all the time. And naturally when the powers that be drive it, (hubby) nope, behaves. Though I have had the opportunity to say told you so a couple of times.

Hmmm, so I try, until I think I might flatten the battery. I know there's nothing I can do. So I ring DH. The next half hour or so I won't bore you with, actually it's because if I kill him the evidence could be used against me. Needless to say, shouting swearing etc did not get the car going. So I go for coffee and wait til he gets there. Oh joy massive crash on the Westgate, city is now gridlock. I burn the roof of my mouth with Macca coffee. Seems fitting somehow. He arrives, and once again, I'll claim the 5th. Needless to say his efforts didn't get us anywhere, and I told you so was just too hollow.

So we leave the car, take an hour to get through the gridlock, and hire a car trailer. We leave at 7am this morning, and you guessed it, the princess starts first kick. Hasn't missed a beat. Til next time. Research shows this first on rubbish dump piece of shit has a problem with it. Also shows a new genuine pump is $1112! But more google suggest the relay, a snap at just $335! We will test the relay, and maybe try a generic one. Meanwhile my 2 days of housework time I had planned are gone, and **** it, I'm going to pound the boxing thingy in the gym instead! $$%^%%$ ford crap.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:31 pm

If the car is not a Falcon can I suggest looking at car part websites in other countries such as the USA's http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/catalog.php
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 553, 554, 555 ... 717, 718, 719  Next
Page 554 of 719   

Jump to: