Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The VICTORY experience

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:27 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I jumped on the bandwagon last night. Went to my first Victory game. Unfortunately I got there too late to get a spot on level one at the North end, so I went upstairs and took it all in from a distance.

The chanting from level 1 sounded brilliant ... well organised ... passionate ... aggressive ... rhythmical ... but up on level 3 it was mostly cardboard cutouts. A few brave souls tried to get into the spirit of it, but it was bit hard to feel a part of it all up there.

Apparently there was a bit of argie bargie at the South end after the match, the Sydney supporters copped a bit of grief but hey, shit happens.

The game itself was a bit of a let down ... not a lot of attacking moves and not a lot of scoring opportunities ... but again ... shit happens. Not all games are classics ... and this one certainly wasn't. But I do like the game and when it's great it's really great.

As far as the supporters go, this is a very interesting phenomenon right at the moment. I noticed that the crowd was mostly people in their teens or 20s. Not many people over 30. I was probably the oldest person in the whole 50,333. That's gotta be a good sign for the future of the game.

But now, with lots of people (like me Laughing ) jumping on the bandwagon, a lot of the hard core supporters are starting to get a bit resentful. Particularly those who like to stand at the North end but couldn't find a spot because of all the new upstarts, many of whom don't chant and are just there to chat up girls. I've been reading some of the stuff on the Melbourne Victory supporters forum and I can see a lot of the same old arguments emerging that we often get with the Collingwood Cheer Squad.

Some of the hard core supporters reckon that the North end should be off limits to people who aren't in their particular group and they want the club to set aside the area exclusively for them.

Of course, if this happens, they will suddenly find themselves beholden to the club ... and the club will ... eventually ... start telling them how to behave and what they're allowed to chant ... etc ... etc ... and before you know it, the Victory supporters will be just as lame as AFL crowds.

I hope that doesn't happen ... because I really did enjoy the experience last night ... despite the 0-0 scoreline and despite the fact that I was on level 3.

joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:26 am

bucksisgod wrote:
joffa corfe wrote:
So 50.333 were in attendance on a warm friday night in melbourne in what was the loudest ever sporting event i've ever attended including our corporate driven grand finals for corporate people only..the noise level shat upon anything the AFL supporting cardboard cutouts could ever achieve.....and some people are saying this sport will not achieve...well hang on to your hats you vegemite munching trailer park bogans...last night this sport well and truly arrived in Melbourne slash Australia and i was proud as punch to be a part of it!!

I reclined this morning on the annex (Well, it's not really an annex, more like 4 Chep pallets covered by a blue tarp) of my 30 yr old caravan, listening to Khe Sahn, wearing my blue singlet and rubber thongs, eating my vegemite toast, running one hand through my mullet and the other over my beer gut with a Winnie Blue in my fingers. I wondered about a few things. Oblivious to the noise coming from Sharon's van next door(Six kids under the age of five, five different fathers) I ponder why you mention the terriffic atmosphere and goings on in the crowd, but no mention of the actual sporting contest. Without knowing the score( I was pissing on at Maccas BBQ last night, Great stuff, VB and snags, urinating in next doors yard, stole a VL Commodore for the ride home and parked it in Sharons driveway, hahaha) can you tell me the result after 90 odd minutes of play? Was it a seesawing goal fest that kept you rivoted to your seat? Could it compare to AC/DC's live concert DVD?( I stole it from Kmart, just gotta lift a player now and I'm set, Hmmm think they've got one three vans down Wink Bought the t shirt with my dole cheque though) Was it as exiting as a break and enter? A fast quarter mile time? A negative paternity test? Catch ya later Joff, the neighbours 3 vans down have just driven away and there's a window open......

That was very clever mate and a very enjoable read Cool Cool

joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:37 am

Dr Alf Andrews wrote:
I jumped on the bandwagon last night. Went to my first Victory game. Unfortunately I got there too late to get a spot on level one at the North end, so I went upstairs and took it all in from a distance.

The chanting from level 1 sounded brilliant ... well organised ... passionate ... aggressive ... rhythmical ... but up on level 3 it was mostly cardboard cutouts. A few brave souls tried to get into the spirit of it, but it was bit hard to feel a part of it all up there.

Apparently there was a bit of argie bargie at the South end after the match, the Sydney supporters copped a bit of grief but hey, shit happens.

The game itself was a bit of a let down ... not a lot of attacking moves and not a lot of scoring opportunities ... but again ... shit happens. Not all games are classics ... and this one certainly wasn't. But I do like the game and when it's great it's really great.

As far as the supporters go, this is a very interesting phenomenon right at the moment. I noticed that the crowd was mostly people in their teens or 20s. Not many people over 30. I was probably the oldest person in the whole 50,333. That's gotta be a good sign for the future of the game.

But now, with lots of people (like me Laughing ) jumping on the bandwagon, a lot of the hard core supporters are starting to get a bit resentful. Particularly those who like to stand at the North end but couldn't find a spot because of all the new upstarts, many of whom don't chant and are just there to chat up girls. I've been reading some of the stuff on the Melbourne Victory supporters forum and I can see a lot of the same old arguments emerging that we often get with the Collingwood Cheer Squad.

Some of the hard core supporters reckon that the North end should be off limits to people who aren't in their particular group and they want the club to set aside the area exclusively for them.

Of course, if this happens, they will suddenly find themselves beholden to the club ... and the club will ... eventually ... start telling them how to behave and what they're allowed to chant ... etc ... etc ... and before you know it, the Victory supporters will be just as lame as AFL crowds.

I hope that doesn't happen ... because I really did enjoy the experience last night ... despite the 0-0 scoreline and despite the fact that I was on level 3.

Give us a call mate the next time you go i'll save you a spot at the famous northern terrace Smile

bazdaddy Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:19 pm

50k excellent achievement but as mentioned 50k 0-0..imagine how much better it wooda been if there was you know.... a score.
creedymagpie Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:00 pm

member34258 wrote:

As for passion in the game and crowd, I've noticed with interest the report in todays Sunday Herald Sun about the South Australian riot police being called to an A league game this week. Maybe the passion is becoming a problem.

You what?

I was in Adelaide last week for the match and the idea of Riot Police is a bloody lie. Yes because of the amount of passion in Football there was always going to be heated exchanges but apart from a couple of thrown plastic bottles it was nothing but hot air.

creedymagpie Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:05 pm

Dr Alf Andrews wrote:

Not sure if that is right. You see Melbourne are different to all other A League Clubs, we dont have just one supporters group. Yes the BWB are the most well known but the fact that Frontline, SDC, Ozspurs, M7C are all there means that the Club will never have a 'Cheer Squad' hold on us. Yes we have to meet some guidelines. But i also believe that Both ends of the Dome should be for people who want to sing and those people only. If people want to just sit quietly, thats what level 3 is for.

creedymagpie Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:15 pm

joffa corfe wrote:

I dont believe they are fair comments.

I follow AFL because i follow Collingwood in no way do i support Demetriou and the unfairness of the competition, i dont support the theory the tea drinking theatre goer should be the only person Demetriou and his clowns cater for...i believe the AFL has killed the passion on the field and has very sneakily killed the passion in the terraces.....

Standing with the lads at the northern end following Melbourne Victory is everything i believe in....passion passion passion....you can stand without being told by the basil bottlebrush security brigade to sit down...you can sing and chant and not be told to shut up.....it is how i remember AFL some years back.
I dont go to Melbourne Victory games because im AFL starved... i go to Melbourne Victory games because im allowed to be a fan im allowed for two hours to be part of an atmosphere which is deemed offensive by Demetriou and a lot af AFL followers...the northern end is wild passionate and very exciting but very controlled.

To suggest im only going to get some sort of cheap off season hit is quite offensive Cool

I would have to say that would be your best ever post!

Joffa you know as much as everyone what my Passion for the AFL and Collingwood used to be, we were there in 1999 at everygame (even interstate) singing, chanting.

Since then, although i still support Collingwood religously, MY passion for the AFL has weakend over the past 6-7 years. I still love the game, but the enjoyment factor of going to games isnt as great as it used to be. You know when the only general admission seats are in no mans land. Being told to shut up all the time, lack of atmosphere due to plastic fans and of course being told to sit down! I mean how can people get involved in a Football game if you are sitting down?

That is the difference between the AFL and Football, in Football you are incouraged to be active in support and not be a Cardboard cutout!

I have always followed both codes, i was there in the last 90's for those every few Collingwood Warrior games. I have supported Tottenham Hotspur since i was 9. The difference between the 2 codes to me is that i have a lot more fun attending one code than the other.

bazdaddy Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:44 pm

Agreed Tess

And I don't how many times I've said this now....you can not stand and chant through out an entire game of AFL as there is something happening, as opposed to SOCCER where there is nothing happening which is highlighted in the thrilling 0-0 draw of which 50k people attended good on soccer for that its come a hell of a long way, but a ridiculosly long way to go to get close to AFL.

creedymagpie Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:01 pm

Tess wrote:

I object to being told that a 18 month old Soccer Club is so much greater than my Football Club.

Dont think we are saying that Tess. Im saying that today the AFL are stamping out all the good ways of supporting.

When did anyone say that Melbourne Victory was greater than Collingwood?

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:05 pm

That is all water under the bridge.
Banquo's Ghost Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:19 pm

Typical bigot tactics.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:33 pm

Magpie24 re-incarnated?
member34258 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:30 pm

creedymagpie wrote:
member34258 wrote:

As for passion in the game and crowd, I've noticed with interest the report in todays Sunday Herald Sun about the South Australian riot police being called to an A league game this week. Maybe the passion is becoming a problem.

You what?

I was in Adelaide last week for the match and the idea of Riot Police is a bloody lie. Yes because of the amount of passion in Football there was always going to be heated exchanges but apart from a couple of thrown plastic bottles it was nothing but hot air.

I don't like being called a liar after reporting something that was freely available to you, or anyone else, in the biggest selling newspaper in Victoria.
And I also note that police intervention was required on Friday night. But maybe I'm just lying!
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:38 pm

bazdaddy wrote:
Agreed Tess

And I don't how many times I've said this now....you can not stand and chant through out an entire game of AFL as there is something happening, as opposed to SOCCER where there is nothing happening which is highlighted in the thrilling 0-0 draw of which 50k people attended good on soccer for that its come a hell of a long way, but a ridiculosly long way to go to get close to AFL.

Everyone acts like there are no bad games in the AFL. AFL has had flooding and rule changes to try and quicken up the game and keep it interesting.

In soccer there are things happening. Sure it requires a bit of brains to work out the strategies, formations, passing etc. Its more of a game of chess as opposed to a game of connect four.

Both games are different and i have an appreciation for both.

As for the support there is no doubt in my mind that soccer fans support their team more passionately than AFL fans.

jlc

bazdaddy Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:41 pm

JLC wrote:
bazdaddy wrote:
Agreed Tess

Everyone acts like there are no bad games in the AFL. AFL has had flooding and rule changes to try and quicken up the game and keep it interesting.

In soccer there are things happening. Sure it requires a bit of brains to work out the strategies, formations, passing etc. Its more of a game of chess as opposed to a game of connect four.

Both games are different and i have an appreciation for both.

As for the support there is no doubt in my mind that soccer fans support their team more passionately than AFL fans.

jlc
sure footy can b boring but 0-0 draws are just a common practise of the game, it's far from exciting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 7 of 13   

Jump to: