Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#31,#26 Ben Johnson

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zakal 

One Game, One Club, One Jumper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:25 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

daicos from the boundry wrote:
Johnstons kicking is just as poor on the training track.Thought heres one guy the would have work hard on it over the preseason changed his style completely.People bagging Gavin Browns skills I thought he is the skills coach.hhhmmmm

Dont have to be a great kick to know when someones doing it properly.

Look at you and me, we can both tell there is somethign odd about Johnsons action, and i bet we could both suggest ways to fix it.....and i also bet that neither one of us could kick it anywhere near as good as him.
daicos from the boundry 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:10 pm

Zakal wrote:
Johnstons kicking is just as poor on the training track.Thought heres one guy the would have work hard on it over the preseason changed his style completely.People bagging Gavin Browns skills I thought he is the skills coach.hhhmmmm

Look at you and me, we can both tell there is somethign odd about Johnsons action, and i bet we could both suggest ways to fix it.....and i also bet that neither one of us could kick it anywhere near as good as him.

when I was 25-26years old playing s**t grade footy one thing I did have was good skills.My fitness and speed well thats other story.Because at a early age i was shown how to kick.Where talking about a guy that wants to play in the midfeild and whos livelyhood relies on it.Look at the way the ball spins when he kicks it(Tarrant the same)All I am saying nothing has changed in 3-4 years with their styles.
daicos from the boundry 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:22 pm

Zakal wrote:

when I was 25-26years old playing s**t grade footy one thing I did have was good skills.My fitness and speed well thats other story.Because at a early age i was shown how to kick.Where talking about a guy that wants to play in the midfeild and whos livelyhood relies on it.Look at the way the ball spins when he kicks it(Tarrant the same)All I am saying nothing has changed in 3-4 years with their styles.
die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:38 am

Unfortunately it is something you learn in childhood and this has a lot to do with the structure of your pelvis and how straight and long your legs are. Centre of gravity also plays a big role.

Johno has short legs, not unlike Charlie Manson.

Taz has a very top-heavy frame and it would be more difficult for him maitain balance when in the kicking motion.

Take a look at the photo of Brodie shooting for goal.
Kicking aint rocket science? Well I think it is. As illustrated his body is going through a very complicated series of movements at a very fast rate. The room for error is enormous. BTW Dutch missed the shot too.

It is one thing to stand on one foot and swing the other and kick a ball 25-30m. It is another thing altogether to kick a ball 45-50m.

The two photos of Taz and Pebbles after shots on goal.
Hard to make judgements as both are in different stages of their follow through and Pebbles was 10 metres further out. But it is noticable that Pebbles has pulled his leg across his body. The ball ended up across the face.
Taz is balanced and his leg is pointing at the target. His was a goal.

roar 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:45 am

Our skills, as a whole are pretty ordinary and yet the club thinks we do not need a full time skills coach- is anyone else perplexed?
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:32 am

Yep agreed Roar - Eddie get out the cheque book and ring Daics.

www.facebook/the hybernators
Zakal 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:02 am

As far as our general skill level goes, youd ordinarily put it down to pre-season, but you really cant because its exactly the kind of crap we've been doing for 2 years. The players weve got now need to work double time on their disposal, if you kick a clanger, you earn the dubious honour of having to do more skills work. And we need to stop recruiting people who can't kick.

Id much rather have a plodder who can spot a pass from 60m, than someone who's lightning quick buy sprays it every time....like Egan atm.

But back to Johnson, during his good years (early last year, and all of the year before) he disposal efficiency certainly improved. Dont forget he hasnt really played since the middle of last year, and even then he wasnt fit. Give him a couple more games to see if it really is a reversion to the old BJ, or whether the level will improve a bit.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:58 am

Johnson has a fundamental flaw in his kicking action. He seems to bring his kicking leg around rather than thru. It's like bowling round arm.

Since the leg is going around in an arc, it's much harder to drop the ball actually onto the foot and therefore harder to hit a target.

His accuracy improved a year or so ago, I assume with lots of practice, but the inherent problem is still there and will always be more likely to surface under pressure.

Zakal 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:24 pm

Bowling round-arm is a great example, not only for tis application to the facts, but to how it should be remedied.

We talk of "actions" being hard to rectify cos you start them so early.

look at cricket...they work countless hours modifying a bowlers incorrect actions. They are constantly fine tuning, and noones saying its an easy process, but it is often done.

CFC needs to get someone in there cricket-style and go over a players action until they fix it.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:46 pm

The problem is, a bowler running in to bowl can go thru a mental routine. Similar to a golfer lining up.

In each case, you can dismantle an action and rebuild it by constant repetition until it's stuck in muscle memory.

Unfortunately, bowlers and golfers don't have someone running right behind them ready to tackle them. a footballer can dismantle and rebuild a set shot routine that should mean they can be highly accurate when having a set shot. (something Taz and Pebbles have yet to master. Can we hire jason Dunstall?) Key forwards should not miss set shots for goal

It's is so much harder to train for kicking on the run under pressure. How much practice do you need to overcome 15-20 years of habit?

die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:00 pm

Cricket has Dennis Lillee
Football has Peter Daicos. So where is he?

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:10 pm

die4pies wrote:
Cricket has Dennis Lillee
Football has Peter Daicos. So where is he?

Don't disagree with that. he could teach them to steer a ball around corners using mind control and your tongue Laughing

But seriously, someone like a Dakes or a Dunstall should be looking at the key forwards set shot kicking action, modifying when necessary and then making the £$%$ers practise goal shooting til they do it in their sleep.

Key forwards should not miss set shots.

Let Carey focus on forwardline strategy. If he knows anymore than "kick it to me and get out of my way, I'm the king. By the way your girlfriend is cute"

One Eyed Pie Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:00 pm

We (OEP clan) have been player Sponsor for the last ten year – number 26… so we have a COI issue.

Rowdy wasn’t a great kick, but he was a champion player … Johno is one player that has improved every year when he has been injury free.

It amazing me how you can make a valid judgment after one practice match
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:01 pm

roar wrote:
Our skills, as a whole are pretty ordinary and yet the club thinks we do not need a full time skills coach- is anyone else perplexed?

Daics would be the answer.

And I dor ecall at the conclusion of 2004 Buckley saying something about being a playing assistant coach (to an extent). He'd be perfect as a skills coach, but only once he retires.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:42 pm

Everyone keeps going on about Daics, and while he was the skills master he may not be an easy guy to negotiate with. I can recall previous administrations also having difficulty coming to an arrangement with him. Needless to say, not everyone is suited to coaching or easy to get along with (G. Ablett and T. Lockett might be in the same boat, though in fairness to all three of them I don't know them personally).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 7 of 30   

Jump to: