Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Jumping the queue

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which illegal immigrant policy is the least worst?
Abbott's
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Howard's
16%
 16%  [ 3 ]
Gillard's
38%
 38%  [ 7 ]
Rudd's
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Brown's
33%
 33%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 18

Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:39 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
if there must be a quota, that quota must be enforced; therefore, if the quota must be enforced.

It already is. We take 12,000 refugees per year - mostly from offshore. Those few who arrive onshore are processed and for each claim that is approved, a place is deducted from the offshore intake. I have stated this many times already. And I have also said that there is certainly a case for the quota being raised, given the tiny number of refugees Australia accepts relative to other nations.

I am not defending people smugglers who exploit vulnerable people. But refugee flows are not primarily affected by domestic policies here: they are affected by war, unrest and human rights violations in countries of origin.

RCA wrote:
Everyone agrees that we should stop people smuggling ventures that exploit asylum seekers and place them in danger. No one wishes to see asylum seekers board unreliable vessels and make risky journeys to Australia. However, penalising desperate and vulnerable people – who have committed no crime and are in need of protection and support – is not the answer. For refugees fleeing persecution, torture and the threat of death, even the most punitive methods of deterrence employed by Australia will be preferable to the conditions they have left behind.

A policy of deterrence also fails to take into account the conditions which force refugees to flee their homes and undertake risky journeys in the first place. Unless human rights issues in refugee-producing nations are addressed, and regional cooperation on refugee protection is enhanced, asylum seekers will be driven to seek out people smugglers and undertake risky journeys.

Culprit, I haven't once levelled the accusation of xenophobia or racism at anyone, either overtly or by implication - although I believe you nailed your own colours to the mast in a previous thread. I do accept that people are anxious, and I am trying to challenge what people are anxious about.

However, you too are overlooking an important point I have already made repeatedly. Whether you have money to pay a people smuggler or not has no bearing on whether or not you are in need of protection. As I have also already stated, economic circumstances have no bearing on refugee status; often those who can pay for transit are the educated middle-class (relatively speaking) and it is their education and political beliefs that has brought them to the attention of those in power.

The problems you spoke of in our society are all real and could be solved by better and more far-sighted policy development. Displacing anger and anxiety onto a pitiful number of refugees for short-term political gain doesn't solve those problems. And suggesting refugees are "dumped in ghettos" just stirs up baseless fears.

RCA wrote:
By definition, refugees are survivors. They have survived because they have the courage, ingenuity and creativity to have done so. These are qualities which we value in Australia. The challenge for Australia is to assist newly arrived refugees to process the experiences of their past and rebuild their lives in Australia. If we do this we will reap the benefits of the qualities and experiences they bring to Australia.

Research carried out by the Refugee Council of Australia has shown that refugees make important economic, civil and social contributions to Australian society. Australia’s refugees and humanitarian entrants have found success in every field of endeavour, including the arts, sports, media, science, research, business and civic and community life.

Just some of the many Australian high achievers who once were refugees include scientists Sir Gustav Nossal and Dr Karl Kruszelnicki, 2009 Victorian of the Year Dr Berhan Ahmed, painter Judy Cassab, comedian Anh Do, filmmaker Khoa Do, author Nam Le, academic Associate Professor My-Van Tran, Dr Anita Donaldson, poet Juan Garrido-Salgado, painter and restaurateur Mirka Mora, actor Henri Szeps, broadcasters Les Murray and Caroline Tran, Australian Rules footballer Alex Jesaulenko, footballer Atti Abonyi, swimmers John and Ilsa Konrads, newspaper editor Michael Gawenda, architect Harry Seidler, business people Sir Peter Abeles, Larry Adler, Ouma Sananikone and Judit Korner, public servant Tuong Quang Luu and politicians Jennie George and Nick Greiner.

Last edited by Pied Piper on Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:51 pm

David wrote:
If there is no Australian law regarding boat arrivals, then perhaps the next question is whether there should be. If this goes as far to suggest that we break certain treaties, then we as a nation may have to face the consequences of doing so. Of course, if these humanitarian treaties needed to be broken for a law to be passed, that would be a grave concern that would need to be addressed carefully and thoughtfully - however, whatever else I might think of our current Government, I trust that they would be trying their utmost to achieve the ideal solution to this.

Even thinking of breaking the convention is absurd; remember, such treaties were developed after WW2 for good reason. We can't suddenly imagine global risk has vanished and we've entered a new golden age where treaties are no longer required. The Europeans know this better than most, which is why external criticism of EU law is woefully ignorant of their history.

I don't think there is a neat solution, but getting the "posture" right is the first step.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:23 pm

Pied Piper -
Quote:
And suggesting refugees are "dumped in ghettos" just stirs up baseless fears.
The so called refugees are not living in Toorak they more likely to be living in Dandenong and why? Because it is a low socioeconomic area.

UNHCR is that the global term for VCAT?
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:37 pm

Culprit wrote:
My point is David this is all huff and puff. Both parties know they cannot do anything as we sign the UNHCR agreement. All this is for political gain nothing more or nothing less. it's the "race card" being played by both sides.

Personally no need for a torpedo, the solution is to tear up the agreement and start shipping them back to their last port of call.

In saying that the boats are a minor issue as far as freeloaders go. More of them walk through the airports daily and we simply let them as we are such an apathetic country.

Apathetic? Quibbling over a few thousand unauthorized arrivals is far more pathetic than anything.

Work with our neighbours and the UN to manage the current very minor problem by all means, but let's not embarrass ourselves any further by jumping up and down like ignoramuses with no sense of proportion whatsoever.

http://www.crikey.com.au/2010/07/06/boat-people-this-is-what-you-are-anxious-about/

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:40 pm

Ah. When do you need that by?
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:43 pm

Whilst there is political gain to be made on this issue nothing will change.
Dr Pie 

Dr Pie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:44 pm

I've been reading this thread for some days and trying to avoid contributing. For one thing Pied Piper has done such an excellent job arguing the position that I would take that I have been happy to sit back and let him do it. For another, as the son of parents who came to Australia as refugees I tend to get emotional on this issue and seem to remember getting into quite heated arguments (with Culprit amongst others) last year. However...

There is something vaguely obscene about people sitting in safety and comfort in Australia and telling desperate people to get into queues. Yes I know that some people do it hard in Australia. We have unemployment, underpayment, we even have homeless and the conditions that some indigenous people in the outback live in are horrendous.

But no-one has been massacred in Australia for nearly a century. The last massacre of Aborigines was the Coniston massacre in the Northern Territory in 1928. The last official killings and torture of white people ended when transportation ended in WA in 1868 - nearly a century and a half ago.

People were being killed by the Government forces in Sri Lanka in large numbers last year and suspected Tiger sympathisers are still being tortured and killed this year according to respected journalists reporting for the Guardian and the BBC. Hazaris are being persecuted in Afghanistan, there are massacres and genocide in several different African countries and it isn't safe to be a dissenter or the wrong sort of Muslim in Iran, Iraq or parts of Pakistan. No, we can't take all of them, but as Pied Piper points out, we take less than countries with much larger populations than ours and much poorer economic conditions.

Meanwhile, while we don't have room for refugees, we are taking more immigrants than we have for years. Often immigrants with skills that are needed in their home countries (for example, why are we stealing doctors from India? If there is a major doctor shortage in rural Australia offer medical students the kind of bonds they offered teachers in the 60s. The Government pays your Uni fees and you have to practice in a town assigned by the Govt for three years after you graduate)

Tannin's point about money is irrelevant and also obscene. If the persecution is based on race or religion, not only are rich people as much at risk as poor, sometimes they are more at risk. Corrupt police and troops in a dictatorship or war situation are more likely to threaten people they can rob, than poor members of the same group who have nothing to offer but their bodies and their lives.

I have kept out of debates on Israel/Palestine that occasionally erupt on VPT because my position is a little more multilayered than that put forward by both sides of the debate on Nick's. However...

Only about five countries (and Australia was one of them) took significant numbers of Jewish refugees between 1936 and 1939. Even those five countries placed quotas and conditions on the number and type of refugees that they took. After the War when 6 million Jews had been killed many Western Countries felt guilty and wondered what they could do. It would seem many thought the way to assuage their guilt was to be uncritical in their support of Israel - even when Israel deserved criticism. That still seems to be the policy in Australia and America although Europe has abandoned it. Buty the World didn't learn the real lesson of the unsuccessful Jewish refugees of 1939. Which is -

IF SOMEBODY IS SO CERTAIN THAT HIS AND HIS fAMILY'S LIFE IS IN DANGER THAT HE IS PREPARED TO GIVE ALL HIS WORLDLY GOODS TO SOME DODGY BLOKE WITH A LEAKY BOAT, THEN HIS LIFE PROBABLY IS IN DANGER AND YOU SHOULD HELP HIM AND HIS FAMILY FIND REFUGE!!!

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:53 pm

Culprit, this is such a minor matter in the scheme of things, yet you insist on making it a giant intolerable conundrum. Our main problem is going to be that we lack population and good relations in our region. Do you really believe when the population of the planet peaks at 9 or 10 billion people that Australia is going to have a mere have 30 million? The Europeans are doing what they need to do to ensure their future security and competitiveness, yet we sit here in the fastest-developing region on the planet fantasising that we can float about empty in the Pacific.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:00 pm

Great post Dr Pie and I respect your view as I do pitillidie. I have a different view and whilst I use to view immigration differently I have to say my view has changed due to life's experiences. I have seen people abuse the system first hand which has changed my view.

I understand where you are coming from and why.

This is an issue that elects parties into Government. This is an issue that the media sensationalise. This is an issue that gets the blood flowing. This issue is small by nature but is massive in influence.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:02 pm

But they're trying to trick us, aren't they Dr. Pie? They dress up as peasants, drill holes in their boats and grubby themselves up for what is really an effort to grab a position at Tafe by way of a pleasure cruise through the Indonesian Archipelago Laughing
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:07 pm

Fair enough, Culprit. Perhaps the main problem now is that Australia needs a new narrative about its position in the changing world. I think we've lost a lot of courage and have retreated, yet the huge challenges in our region are only beginning. No one has tried to explain what's happening to people, and all they do is see conflict on their TVs on a nightly basis.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:11 pm

You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:12 pm

pietillidie wrote:
Fair enough, Culprit. Perhaps the main problem now is that Australia needs a new narrative about its position in the changing world. I think we've lost a lot of courage and have retreated, yet the huge challenges in our region are only beginning. No one has tried to explain what's happening to people, and all they do is see conflict on their TVs on a nightly basis.
Yes on quality shows like ACA Rolling Eyes
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:11 pm

Pietilidie, if you want to live in an overpopulated disaster of a country, then farrk off out of this place. Go to some other p[lace - any other place, for they are all of them overpopulated, which is apparently what you want. This is the last continent on earth that is not yet comprehensively destroyed, not yet overrun with hordes of people, and you actually admit that you want to destroy this place too.

Sorry, your credibility just sank to absolute zero.

PS: I strongly recommend that anyone wanting to reply to this post do so in a new thread. The mad desire to destroy Australia with overpopulation have very, very little to do with the illegal immigration debate, and the two matters should be kept quite separate.

Last edited by Tannin on Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:18 pm

Dr Pie, why it is "obscene" to discuss the disgraceful way our current refugee policy discriminates against the poor in favour of the rich? What have you got against poor people who cannot afford to get to Indonesia and stump up thousands for a smuggler? Why do you want to give preference to the relatively wealthy refugees on boats and leave the poor ones to rot in camps? That's what you are arguing for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 7 of 12   

Jump to: