Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Herald Sun in new attack on the Krak

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:16 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, Robert Murphy has some serious talent with the pen:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/we-dont-have-right-to-shackle-krakouer-20110413-1de6b.html

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:21 am

That Robert is an interesting guy.
nulla 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:42 am

pietillidie wrote:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/we-dont-have-right-to-shackle-krakouer-20110413-1de6b.html

Fantastic article

says it all

Go Pies

Black_White Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:11 am

After all the "outrage" that the media drove, and 7 were the instigators showing it over and over again, what do I see last night in the 7 promo for Friday nights game?
Yep.
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:18 am

pietillidie wrote:

Correct. It's a magnificent piece, right down to the junior cricket analogy which I can relate to.

I loved the way he ends:

Quote:
Krakouer spent 16 months in prison, and some of us won't afford him the luxury of what I saw as a sign of freedom. His is an uncommon comeback story. All the more reason the man and his freedom ought to be celebrated out loud, like the cries of a man who's just struck gold.

Beautiful.
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:19 am

Black_White wrote:
After all the "outrage" that the media drove, and 7 were the instigators showing it over and over again, what do I see last night in the 7 promo for Friday nights game?
Yep.

They should be stripped of the footy rights. But unfortunately it looks like 7, 10 and Fox are going to win the next big again. Rolling Eyes
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:19 pm

Great to see such a unanimously intelligent and compassionate reaction to this shameless, suspiciously race-tinged Herald Scum beat-up. So, the question must be asked, who is reading this shit? Jon Ralph and Michael Horan are scumbags, but there are a lot of readers out there keeping them in business.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:32 pm

nulla wrote:
pietillidie wrote:

Fantastic article

says it all

Go Pies

+1. Great article.

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:19 pm

I good article does not a journalist make.

(Neil Mitchell is still on a duck as far as i'm concerned.)
Two_Pies Capricorn

Dougie Barwick tough as nails !!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:42 pm

^^^ Great comments all Smile

Time to send a message - last Friday was Night of the Scarves this Friday every Krak goal; and there will be many - we need to show our support by making the same sign ... (pity Shackleton ain't around no more - but I digress) ... Krak has been at the club two minutes and the media are having shots at him. I took great solice in the post match b/w Krak and Licca that Krak is a decent human being who made a mistake, paid for it and is now making a go of it, in the best way he knows how.

SOLIDARITY CUZ !!

Warbler 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:59 pm

What the herald scum & 7 have realised long ago is that the 1/2 of the population who don't love Collingwood hate them & love reading anything negative about us , especially now that we're back up where we belong.
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:22 pm

Two_Pies wrote:
^^^ Great comments all Smile

Time to send a message - last Friday was Night of the Scarves this Friday every Krak goal; and there will be many - we need to show our support by making the same sign ... (pity Shackleton ain't around no more - but I digress) ... Krak has been at the club two minutes and the media are having shots at him. I took great solice in the post match b/w Krak and Licca that Krak is a decent human being who made a mistake, paid for it and is now making a go of it, in the best way he knows how.

SOLIDARITY CUZ !!

Great idea. It could become like the Atlanta Braves tomohawk chop. Wink
mel_kay39 

PIES PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:30 pm

jack_spain wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:

It seems it's fine to praise Krakouer for his rehabilitation, but to show any kind of support for those currently behind bars is somehow inappropriate.

I think you've got it in one mate. Our society gives lip service to caring for people whose lives have run off the rails a bit.

Someone on one show mentioned the offense to victims of crime. Well, one feels for victims of crime, but it's time some of these people moved on. I mean the sight of Noel McNamara turning up in court day after day and appearing in the media saying people aren't punished enough is very sad indeed.

It's time he moved on and learn that forgiveness benefits not only the offender, but most of all releases the bitterness that eats away at the so-called victim. He's a sad case Noel McNamara and his VOCAL group.

I'm curious, Jack - have you had a family member be a victim of murder? It's one thing to support Krak and his rehabilitation, but it's another to call a victim's group a bunch of sad cases, something I take offence to, because my uncle was murdered by a halfwit druggo and if not for people like Noel McNamara, who care about the way victims and their families are treated by the justice system, we may not have had things like victim impact statements to tell our side of the story, how we were affected by what some person we didn't even know had done. They may seem like a bunch of "perceptive fellow" harping on about victim's rights but they're often victims themselves, or have suffered losses you wouldn't have a clue about. It's not something you get over in a couple of years - murder is a life sentence for the family, and severe assault can mean permanent brain damage, to the point where the victim is no longer the same person their family knew and loved. It's easy to say forgive and forget - it's not so easy for some of us to do it.

jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:35 am

mel_kay39 wrote:
jack_spain wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:

It seems it's fine to praise Krakouer for his rehabilitation, but to show any kind of support for those currently behind bars is somehow inappropriate.

I think you've got it in one mate. Our society gives lip service to caring for people whose lives have run off the rails a bit.

Someone on one show mentioned the offense to victims of crime. Well, one feels for victims of crime, but it's time some of these people moved on. I mean the sight of Noel McNamara turning up in court day after day and appearing in the media saying people aren't punished enough is very sad indeed.

It's time he moved on and learn that forgiveness benefits not only the offender, but most of all releases the bitterness that eats away at the so-called victim. He's a sad case Noel McNamara and his VOCAL group.

I'm curious, Jack - have you had a family member be a victim of murder? It's one thing to support Krak and his rehabilitation, but it's another to call a victim's group a bunch of sad cases, something I take offence to, because my uncle was murdered by a halfwit druggo and if not for people like Noel McNamara, who care about the way victims and their families are treated by the justice system, we may not have had things like victim impact statements to tell our side of the story, how we were affected by what some person we didn't even know had done. They may seem like a bunch of "perceptive fellow" harping on about victim's rights but they're often victims themselves, or have suffered losses you wouldn't have a clue about. It's not something you get over in a couple of years - murder is a life sentence for the family, and severe assault can mean permanent brain damage, to the point where the victim is no longer the same person their family knew and loved. It's easy to say forgive and forget - it's not so easy for some of us to do it.

Answer: Yes! I have. If I'd stayed bitter about it I'd be a nut case who turns up to court every day.
mel_kay39 

PIES PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:06 pm

That's McNamara's way of dealing with his grief, though. I'm not one to pick on him about it. He and his group do a lot of good work. I'm not saying he is right for being offended by Krakouer's gesture, I'm just saying whatever's happened to him in his own life has affected him to the point where he feels he has to do something about it. It's great you're not bitter about whatever's happened to you, and that you've managed to move past it. Some people find that a lot harder and probably wish they were more like you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8   

Jump to: