Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Harry O

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beast 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:54 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats cause Robbo is a journo and I'm not Wink

Doesn't change the fact our stances are identical and Robbo is privileged to the info none on here are.
No wonder none of you're capable disputing any points of his and mine points, though at least you gave it a shot and did it in a respectful manner.
MattyD 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:57 pm

I think unless you've experienced what Harry's experienced or have someone close to you who has, it's probably harder to understand.

I think a lot of us do understand.

His strength and courage to say what's going on with him is a testament to his character and loyalty to the Club.

While we can't know exactly what's happened behind closed doors, it looks as though Bucks has handled this professionally and with empathy like he does with everything.

I watched his press conference today. He is very impressive and sincere. But he's not a psychiatrist or psychologist so I think he's handling all of this very well.

I never say it, but I love that Harry is outspoken and I usually agree with he says and I've never had a problem with the way he goes about things. But that's just me.

Like all of us, I hope Harry gets to play for us soon when he is ready. At his best, he is a very exciting and powerful player.

Three words:

Side by side.
September Zeros 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:09 pm

Beast wrote:
Carro wrote:
Nail hit on the head by Robbo

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/collingwood-defender-harry-obriens-serious-issues-cant-compromise-the-club/story-fndv8g1a-1226676621185

Outstanding piece from Robbo and basically mimics what I've been saying all along to a tee.

Unfortunately it will fall on deaf ears, the vocal majority are too busy being sanctimonious do-gooders (while abusing others for having a different opinion) to see the forest for the trees.

Or are they simply incapable of it?

Just because someone in media writes it doesn't mean you are both correct. Robbos back reeling to cover his arse.

True depression sufferers need understanding when they have a so called "outbursts" not ridicule. They need to be allowed to make mistakes, to act out, to vent. Similar to a drug addict or someone addicted to gambling these people often hurt the ones they love the most. What they all have in common is that they require help and a bit of understanding beast. The club seems to be able to offer Harry that, why can't you brother?

I understand this topic very intimately and i feel some of your comments have just gone too far beast. True mental illness is complex and without help, love and assistance many people with mental illness finish their stories in the obituaries. As a friend, lover, supporter you have a chance to help them write a different ending.

You may change your tune one day if your ever unlucky enough to lose someone close to you due to mental illness.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

Last edited by September Zeros on Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hiss Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:09 pm
Post subject: YesReply with quote

The media are to blame for all this. They have placed so much stress on Harry and insist on these door stop interviews which cause him to make statements that should be kept private. Club has acted professionally in all this as well. Well done Ed. Well done Bucks.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:10 pm

Carro wrote:

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/collingwood-defender-harry-obriens-serious-issues-cant-compromise-the-club/story-fndv8g1a-1226676621185

I think a difficult balancing act for Robbo would be working out whether he should have paid more attention in journalism class or followed his dreams and become a garbo.

Beast 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:13 pm

I wish Harry well like everyone else but after watching his impromptu presser the only feeling I got he refuses to admit what he did was wrong and decided to make everyone feel uncomfortable and sympathetic to him by bringing up his issues and shoving them down everyone's throats while asking for privacy at the same time(lol)

Which kind of falls in line with my perception of him as a human being -weak and pompous narcissist with the overblown sense of self-importance.

I'm no doctor but those aren't the characteristics of depression....a severe histrionics disorder would be my diagnosis.
Dr Pie 

Dr Pie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:17 pm

David wrote:
Carro wrote:

I think a difficult balancing act for Robbo would be working out whether he should have paid more attention in journalism class or followed his dreams and become a garbo.

Fair comment, David. Smile

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:19 pm

Beast wrote:
he refuses to admit what he did was wrong

If he believes that that is the case, then he probably already has — in private, to the relevant parties. It would be absolutely absurd to offer a public apology on what was an in-house matter. Surely even you can see that.

Beast wrote:
I'm no doctor

And yet you still feel qualified to comment on the subject of O'Brien's mental state. Seriously. Let it go.

Beast 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:21 pm

September Zeros wrote:

September Zeros wrote:
Just because someone in media writes it doesn't mean you are both correct. Robbos back reeling to cover his arse.

No he isn't, he simply said he would have been more sensitive if he was aware of Harry's issues, the issues that most at the Club didn't even know about. His stance hasn't changed one bit.

True depression sufferers need understanding when they have a so called "outbursts" not ridicule. They need to be allowed to make mistakes, to act out, to vent. Similar to a drug addict or someone addicted to gambling these people often hurt the ones they love the most. What they all have in common is that they require help and a bit of understanding beast. The club seems to be able to offer Harry that, why can't you brother?

I understand this topic very intimately and i feel some of your comments have just gone too far beast. True mental illness is complex and without help, love and assistance many people with mental illness finish their stories in the obituaries. As a friend, lover, supporter you have a chance to help them write a different ending.

You may change your tune one day if your ever unlucky enough to lose someone close to you due to mental illness.

I'll change my tune when Harry gets diagnosed with depression, until then I will view it as a weak excuse (very popular nowadays) for his shortcomings, rightly or wrongly.

And I'm all for the Club offering Harry help but on the Club's terms and funnily enough Bucks agrees with me.
Dr Pie 

Dr Pie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:24 pm

Carro wrote:

Actually it is a bit of arse-covering after Robinson went off half cocked and delivered a sanctimonious lecture without knowing all the facts. One of the first things journalists are taught is to research the facts before bursting into print. The Herald-Sun rarely does this on either its news or its sport pages. The Murdoch Press is notorious for presenting opinion as fact. Often the opinions, on both sport and politics are as ignorant as those offered by Robinson this morning.

Beast 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:27 pm

David wrote:
Beast wrote:
he refuses to admit what he did was wrong

If he believes that that is the case, then he probably already has — in private, to the relevant parties. It would be absolutely absurd to offer a public apology on what was an in-house matter. Surely even you can see that.

You're speculating while I'm basing my view on the facts in front of us.
And nothing is as absurd as shoving his issues down everyone's throat, to Collingwood's big surprise I might add and then asking for privacy.

Beast wrote:
I'm no doctor

David wrote:
And yet you still feel qualified to comment on the subject of O'Brien's mental state. Seriously. Let it go.

I'm qualified to comment on histrionics due to one of my ex's, Harry is a carbon copy of her, apart from the looks.

And seriously, I'd love to hear an opinion of someone who is qualified to comment on the issue, does Harry exhibit the signs of depression or histrionics?
TheJonesBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:35 pm

David wrote:
TheJonesBoy wrote:
In fact. Wanna know where most of the BS, childish, completely groundless and pathetic rumours come from..you know the ones that often end up in the papers, on radio or social media??

It's from you guys. The football loving and watching public. From the man in the street who'd like to think he knows what goes on behind closed doors at a footy club, but in all honesty has zero idea.

Not to have a dig — I broadly agree with where you are coming from, and have little time for complaints about the supposed anti-Collingwood conspiracy — but the supposedly honourable mainstream media you go in to bat for here often print and broadcast unfounded innuendo. It is their role to act as gatekeepers, to sort the fact from the fiction, so the fact that (as you say) groundless rumours end up in the papers and on the radio is an indictment on the professionalism of these media organisations. It's no good pointing the finger at troublemakers on the internet; it's your job to treat their hearsay with the requisite scepticism.

No dig taken David, in fact I wholeheartedly agree with what you are saying here.

Not to tar all areas of football media with the same brush, but I feel the majority of scribes DO have that ability to separate what clearly is fact as opposed from fiction, but, as seems to be the way in all elements and walk of life, the is a % of persons within that industry who prefer to peddle tripe and rumour...in an uneducated and grossly unprofessional version of Chinese whispers.

So I'm not absolving the media of blame entirely, just think its a cop out to hold them fully responsible, and take away blame from certain members of the football public who just lap up these sorts of scenarios and controversies.
Beast 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:38 pm

Quote:
Mark Robinson @Robbo_heraldsun 20m

Media reporting Harry O'Brien did not suffer sexual abuse .

Well that came as a surprise.....
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:38 pm

Fair enough Harry. No comment, except to wish you get well soon.
E 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:43 pm
Post subject: Re: YesReply with quote

Hiss wrote:
The media are to blame for all this. They have placed so much stress on Harry and insist on these door stop interviews which cause him to make statements that should be kept private. Club has acted professionally in all this as well. Well done Ed. Well done Bucks.

Agree. I like that you can be critical of Bucks for things you dont agree with and then praise him for the good work. Its almost like you actually think.

I wish Jack Spain could learn from you great Hiss.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 7 of 14   

Jump to: