Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre match. Pies v. Suns - All comments

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:36 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

All good inclusions for this game. Langdon and Williams will be vital for our defensive structures and they'll be able to assist the likes of Keefe and Frost in defence. Our defence looks much better with Langdon and Williams back in the side and in the process they ease the workload for Keefe and Frost who I must say were fantastic last week against Carlton.

As a result of Jesse White going out of the team which was clearly justified by the selection committee, the inclusion of Brodie Grundy is a no brainer as we need someone to assist Witts in the ruck duties and Grundy could possibly provide us an option up forward even though he's kicking for goal is inconsistent and something he needs to work on in his game, however I'm satisfied with his selection overall.

Jamie Elliott's exclusion is a big blow for us as this means Cloke will have more pressure and the burden of kicking of our goals. We really need to find some other goal kicking options in this match. The midfield will need to play a big part in scoring our goals as well on top of Cloke I would think. If only Ben Reid was available for this game!

Breadcrawl 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:37 pm

Maxwell, Karnezis, Reid and Freeman all named in VFL Smile
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:33 pm

John Wren wrote:
jackcass wrote:
You'd think Sack would need to play back given their 3x tall forwards. Any chance of rain?

Wonder which emergencies are on the plane to QLD?

i expect the conditions will be slippery, a little like last saturday. i like the retention of kenno and jt.

who will get to wear the kermit vest?

Tough call, maybe Thomas.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:37 pm

Breadcrawl wrote:
Maxwell, Karnezis, Reid and Freeman all named in VFL Smile

Karnezis played last weekend but good to get the other 3 back. Should get a few more back next week as well.... building Wink
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:02 am

I think the selection decisions were the best possible. Jessie White just hasn't been doing enough up forward for us to maintain that status quo. Grundy can alternate with Witts, and maybe the idea is for Witts to play mostly on the forward line to be the second tall target up forward. His marking has definitely been improving of late. Our decision to maximize our pace (retaining Josh T, Ben Kennedy and with Marley Williams coming in as well ) will complement Witts up forward. If Witts knocks the ball to ground, then our small fast mids hopefully can seize the ball at ground level. No doubt we hope that Ben K can play a similar role to Jamie Elliott. I would also like to see Travis Cloke sometimes playing centre half forward so that he can exert his power throughout our forward 50 and complement our fleet of small fast mids.
We need Goldsack I believe to play up forward. I think this will be possible with the strengthening of our defence with the return of Williams and Langdon. His tackling pressure will be essential for locking the ball in our attacking zone and giving scope for our plethora of small players.
Everything of course depends on our midfield. We need the big three: Pendlebury, Swan and Beames to lead our younger midfielders by example.
Az 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:19 am

Magpietothemax wrote:
I think the selection decisions were the best possible. Jessie White just hasn't been doing enough up forward for us to maintain that status quo. Grundy can alternate with Witts, and maybe the idea is for Witts to play mostly on the forward line to be the second tall target up forward. His marking has definitely been improving of late. Our decision to maximize our pace (retaining Josh T, Ben Kennedy and with Marley Williams coming in as well ) will complement Witts up forward. If Witts knocks the ball to ground, then our small fast mids hopefully can seize the ball at ground level. No doubt we hope that Ben K can play a similar role to Jamie Elliott. I would also like to see Travis Cloke sometimes playing centre half forward so that he can exert his power throughout our forward 50 and complement our fleet of small fast mids.
We need Goldsack I believe to play up forward. I think this will be possible with the strengthening of our defence with the return of Williams and Langdon. His tackling pressure will be essential for locking the ball in our attacking zone and giving scope for our plethora of small players.
Everything of course depends on our midfield. We need the big three: Pendlebury, Swan and Beames to lead our younger midfielders by example.

Doubt we'll have the luxury of Goldy up forward with all of Day, Dixon, Lynch and occasionally Smith running around in our back line. Without Maxy or Brown, someone is going to have to mind one of those talls and as reliable as Langdon is, he will get exposed if he's expected to play on one of them. Agree with Witts spending most of the day up forward. Between him and Grundy he is the more capable forward. I feel Zac Smith has them both covered for strength and and power in the ruck anyway so doesn't matter too much.
Az 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:20 am

Magpietothemax wrote:

Doubt we'll have the luxury of Goldy up forward with all of Day, Dixon, Lynch and occasionally Smith running around in our back line. Without Maxy or Brown, someone is going to have to mind one of those talls and as reliable as Langdon is, he will get exposed if he's expected to play on one of them. Agree with Witts spending most of the day up forward. Between him and Grundy he is the more capable forward. I feel Zac Smith has them both covered for strength and and power in the ruck anyway so doesn't matter too much.
Az 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:20 am

Magpietothemax wrote:

think better 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:11 am

I think we look a bit small down back - I wonder if Marsh might be a surprise late inclusion.

His form in the VFL seems to be good but a bit inconsistent

LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:18 am

This is a massive test to see if Buckley can truly motivate the players & the players in turn get behind their Captain & Coach.
To date we've failed in key tests against Geelong, Adelaide & Hawthorn. (we got Sydney while they were off and who knows what happened against Freo) The rest have been effectively junk games in our fixture.

So I put it to you all, we're going to see exactly where we're at this Saturday. Too many soft wins this year that haven't given us a true indication of whether we're up to it. Leave the injury excuse aside, we've had too many players playing below par without the necessary intensity.
The likes of experienced players in Toovey, Sidebottom, Lumumba, Blair & Dwyer need to step up 20% in intensity in this game. Their seasons at this point are borderline pass marks. All of these players at present are on my trade table as viable currency. Lift & show me otherwise.
We know already what we get week in week out from Beams & Pendles and the 2014 version of Swan & Cloke to a lesser extent.

The Suns at Home is one we need to get that away game record firmly established like we used to have over Sydney and most games on the road. Over the next few years, if we're going to challenge for a flag, we must 'get them' in these games. This is set to be a corker and shouldn't be underestimated as to the importance to re-igniting the '10 & '11 hunger that has deserted us. If we get a touch up this w/e I reckon that for mentioned list will start to get very nervous come trade time.

I would dearly love Maxy & Ball in the starting 22 Saturday. Their kids are better than our kids at this point but we have supposedly have the experience but this counts for little if the passion doesn't come with the games played.

Go Pies.

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:38 am

Sidebottom borderline? The Sidebottom I have been watching has had some fantastic games. He certainly was a big contributor against the scum but I must admit he went missing for the three weeks preceding that game.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:55 am

Member 7167 wrote:
Sidebottom borderline? The Sidebottom I have been watching has had some fantastic games. He certainly was a big contributor against the scum but I must admit he went missing for the three weeks preceding that game.

Laughing Wink

LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:08 am

Member 7167 wrote:

Yep, borderline. As you point out went missing , through undisciplined actions. Freo - 22 possessions, 84 dream team points. Borderline.
Sydney - 15 possessions, 56 dream team points. Fail
Geelong - he had a cracker, no doubt got a rocket.
Adelaide was borderline. Didn't hurt them.

The rest are games you'd expect him to perform given the time n the system & the midfield around him.

Of course he was going to have a cracker 1st week back against Carlton. Hardly the game we wanted that performance in. That's the least he owed us. Might have been the difference against the Dogs and we needed a big game from him against Hawthorn.

I'll state it here & now, fail against the Suns i.e needs to influence the game, not just get possessions, or the questions need to to be asked.

My point is a player of his class at this stage of his career is not showing what it takes above the shoulders in his desire. We need him to take on a larger load for the team. He's a better than average player but I see more given the 'flashes' he has shown.

With Elliot out, I want to see him given that role across half forward. I'll take the Barassi line 'give me possessions (passion) & I'll shut up'

simon tonna 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:28 am

[quote="LaurieHolden"]This is a massive test to see if Buckley can truly motivate the players & the players in turn get behind their Captain & Coach.
To date we've failed in key tests against Geelong, Adelaide & Hawthorn. (we got Sydney while they were off and who knows what happened against Freo) The rest have been effectively junk games in our fixture.

So I put it to you all, we're going to see exactly where we're at this Saturday. Too many soft wins this year that haven't given us a true indication of whether we're up to it. Leave the injury excuse aside, we've had too many players playing below par without the necessary intensity.
The likes of experienced players in Toovey, Sidebottom, Lumumba, Blair & Dwyer need to step up 20% in intensity in this game. Their seasons at this point are borderline pass marks. All of these players at present are on my trade table as viable currency. Lift & show me otherwise.
We know already what we get week in week out from Beams & Pendles and the 2014 version of Swan & Cloke to a lesser extent.

The Suns at Home is one we need to get that away game record firmly established like we used to have over Sydney and most games on the road. Over the next few years, if we're going to challenge for a flag, we must 'get them' in these games. This is set to be a corker and shouldn't be underestimated as to the importance to re-igniting the '10 & '11 hunger that has deserted us. If we get a touch up this w/e I reckon that for mentioned list will start to get very nervous come trade time.

I would dearly love Maxy & Ball in the starting 22 Saturday. Their kids are better than our kids at this point but we have supposedly have the experience but this counts for little if the passion doesn't come with the games played.

Go Pies.

An excellent post and a brave one considering you talk about 1/3 of our last premiership team. Some may think your not a true fan but I digress.
While these are my sentiments exactly on those player I still would like those players mentioned to step up and be counted for in a clutch match just so we can see a more team orientated performance and not left to the usual warriors and the pups.
More contribution from seedsmen on the score board will be needed along with our resting mids.
C'mon fellows shows us why we're better than them.

Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:33 am

FYI - weather forecast for Sat. 5 July

Gold Coast area
Max. 23C.
A few showers and the chance of a thunderstorm early in the morning, clearing to a mostly sunny day. Light winds becoming westerly 15 to 20 km/h in the middle of the day.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10   

Jump to: