Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Our ruck to midfield connection

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:13 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:

Yep, someone like IQ would be a blessing. He's so damn effective at half-back though and I would be concerned about weakening the defence which is our strongest element.
Do you have any suggestions as to who might be able to replace Quaynor at half-back?

When he returns from injury, I'd like to see Bianco given a run. By all accounts he has the leg speed and is a beautiful kick, though to be honest, I haven't seen him first hand. He was rated pretty highly when we drafted him 2 yrs ago. Of course, Murphy is another possible defender.

Okay RB ...... some possibilities there, but they are not ready-made running half-backs. This is not an issue in itself of course, except that I doubt the coaching panel would want to spend time developing them as such. It's most likely the last season for all of them and it doesn't seem as though they are much interested in going into re-build mode. Not yet, anyway. Wink
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:55 am

PyreneesPie wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:

Yep, someone like IQ would be a blessing. He's so damn effective at half-back though and I would be concerned about weakening the defence which is our strongest element.
Do you have any suggestions as to who might be able to replace Quaynor at half-back?

When he returns from injury, I'd like to see Bianco given a run. By all accounts he has the leg speed and is a beautiful kick, though to be honest, I haven't seen him first hand. He was rated pretty highly when we drafted him 2 yrs ago. Of course, Murphy is another possible defender.

Okay RB ...... some possibilities there, but they are not ready-made running half-backs. This is not an issue in itself of course, except that I doubt the coaching panel would want to spend time developing them as such. It's most likely the last season for all of them and it doesn't seem as though they are much interested in going into re-build mode. Not yet, anyway. Wink

The draftee who is being groomed at half back is Issac Chugg.
He’s going very nicely from all the match sim and practice match reports.
Quaynor was trialled as mid fielder in the last few games of his second year at the Chargers ( supposedly at Collingwoods request ) He went ok but I heard he’s one of those players who are at their best when the game unfolds in front of them, rather than all around them ( there’s a big difference )
Crisp is obviously spending more time between the arcs and Noble is at his best when he can get a match up that suits him rather than a big body who pushes him off the ball too easily.
There’s certainly a H / B spot available for a player with the right tool kit.
If you’re playing as a running H/ B, skill and pace is non negotiable but it’s the other tools in that kit that separate B graders from the elite.
At H / B , Quaynor will soon reach elite status, so I don’t see him playing anywhere else.
Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:02 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
I'd love to see Quaynor given a run on the ball for a few weeks. He is strongly built, quick, a one-grab player, a great kick, good decision-maker and line breaker. We have numerous defensive options, but we are still in urgent need of an injection of speed and grunt in our midfield.

I'd like to see him as well, but undiagnosed 'knee soreness' is not a good sign given the Clubs track record
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:05 am

An article on Footscray's list management, for anyone interested. It suggests that Bontempelli's market price for his next contract (due now) is understood to be in the range $1.2M to $1.3M per season.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/583383/the-bulldogs-budget-it-s-not-just-about-bont-bucks-but-who-else-

I guess the message is that recruiting Scharenberg and Freeman didn't create such a salary cap hit for Collingwood.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:21 am

Interesting article in so far as the Dogs' supposed opinion about Treloar.

"But the Dogs, on the back of two elimination final defeats in 2019-20, saw Treloar as a marquee chip who could move the needle from finals fill-ins to a premiership shot"
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:35 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
Interesting article in so far as the Dogs' supposed opinion about Treloar.

"But the Dogs, on the back of two elimination final defeats in 2019-20, saw Treloar as a marquee chip who could move the needle from finals fill-ins to a premiership shot"

Perhaps they didn’t watch either of his finals last year. Or perhaps a “marquee chip” for them is a midfielder who is running at goal under no pressure with his team in front by a point, panics, doesn’t kick the distance and puts the ball into the hands of the opposition’s most dangerous defender with 45 seconds on the clock. They’re entitled to their view, of course - it’s possible he’s an actual gun who for no real reason just played like an arsehole in his last 2 finals for us.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:28 pm

And, to add to the general hilarity, one sees that Footscray has been thrashed in the hit-outs in 3 out of 4 games (19-46, 21-52, 17-34 and 40-35). Yet, the only time it lost the clearances was the day it won the hitouts - are people seriously going to suggest that somehow the Footscray ruckmen became magically incapable of getting the ball to their mids the day they had 40 hitouts? It doesn't stack up. It's a nonsense narrative.

What the teams that are winning do generally do (for the most part - there are variations in game style - Brisbane has lost the stats all 4 weeks) is win the contested possession battle. Footscray have won that 4-0, Collingwood have won it twice (the week we won and the week we almost won), Melbourne has won it 3 times (they lost it to Fremantle) and Sydney have won it 4 times. Mostly those contested possessions are won in larger numbers by your midfielders. At Collingwood, our leading contested possession winners in the first 4 weeks were Pendlebury, Adams, Grundy and Grundy. But a careful review of individual player stats at Collingwood suggests that players who need to get first hands to the ball simply don't. The Coach says repeatedly (and did so, again, many times in his press conference today) that winning a game of footy is about winning the contested footy. Whatever some other teams do or don't do as a game strategy, it shouldn't come as a surprise that Collingwood doesn't win the game if it doesn't win contested possessions. In short, we play a contested style of game, deliberately and by design - this is a problem because, at the moment, we suck at it.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:41 pm

I would like to adopt the veiw as to a few things that may transpire over the next month

With Beau settling in to a defensive forward with excellent tackling to hold ball in the 50—then he also adds a regular scoring plus

This could release JDG to more mid field time

Add to that the intro of Fin and what that will bring to the mid field

Point is we don’t know of course but with JDG and the rapid learning from Fin may push our clearance numbers up —-from what I’ve seen of Poulter he may be a further plus

As I said I’ll adopt a wait and watch

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:23 pm

i think one of the main issues with the synergy between our midfield and mids is simply the gross imbalance in the attributes of our mids. P4S keeps emphasizing Treloar's deficiencies and says he is glad we cut our losses, but the whole issue is that Adz is not an inside mid. He is the one who gives you speed on the outside (we don't have any of those, now that both he and Stepho have gone). Our only true inside mid was and is Tay (not counting Sier yet because he hasnt proven himself yet). We never were able to use Adz in the way he was meant to be used (see Western Bulldogs). Clearly, Grundy is a great footballer and ruckman, but our midfield balance has never fully complemented him, and now more than ever is far askew.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:29 am

To paraphrase Bill Clinton "it's the midfield stupid!"

Grundy is fine. Our big problem are our midfielders. Apart from Pendles, individually and collectively, they are second rate. They are too one-paced and too often static around centre bounces and ball-ups. They rarely are moving at pace to collect hitouts. When they do get it, they too often hold up play, rather than moving it forward with pace and precision.

To my eye, our best potential midfielder is being 'wasted' in defence. Isaac Quaynor. He is a master of the one grab, weaving and spinning around opponents, and is a masterful disposer of the ball, with long precise kicking. He is also powerfully built, which is essential attribute to play on the ball. Tyler Brown is also a future gun mid, with great size and lightning handball skills. A midfield built around Quaynor, T Brown and Macrae is the future. It should begin now. Although he continues to frustrate, I'd also persevere with Sier, as we need his bulk. It's now time for a changing of the guard. Pendles and Sidey should be moved forward or back, with a younger, quicker and more attacking midfield brigade given this season to build cohesion for next year.

Last edited by RudeBoy on Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:29 am

DP
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:52 pm

RudeBoy wrote:

Grundy is fine. Our big problem are our midfielders. Apart from Pendles, individually and collectively, they are second rate. They are too one-paced and too often static around centre bounces and ball-ups. They rarely are moving at pace to collect hitouts. When they do get it, they too often hold up play, rather than moving it forward with pace and precision.

To my eye, our best potential midfielder is being 'wasted' in defence. Isaac Quaynor. He is a master of the one grab, weaving and spinning around opponents, and is a masterful disposer of the ball, with long precise kicking. He is also powerfully built, which is essential attribute to play on the ball. Tyler Brown is also a future gun mid, with great size and lightning handball skills. A midfield built around Quaynor, T Brown and Macrae is the future. It should begin now. Although he continues to frustrate, I'd also persevere with Sier, as we need his bulk. It's now time for a changing of the guard. Pendles and Sidey should be moved forward or back, with a younger, quicker and more attacking midfield brigade given this season to build cohesion for next year.

R B , while I don’t necessarily think Bucks is a bad coach, I’m convinced his time is now up and it’s as much about pigeon holing players as it is delivering the same message.
The changes you’re asking for won’t be entertained ( let alone acted out ) while Bucks is there. The club needs a new set of eyes to look over the players and identify alternative opportunities to match their skill set.
Quaynor may get that mid field chance under a new coach but he won’t get it under Bucks. The only reason we saw plan B last night with Moore was because plan A hadn’t delivered on the desired win loss ratio five rounds in.

MacRae is a fine talent. I don’t think people stop and think that was the biggest and most nervous night of his life and he handled it really well. He’s a ten year midfielder.
Poulter is the one who should pass Sier by in one more dedicated pre season.
He’s built like Sier and wants the footy.
McInnes and Henry are more your forward of centre mids, so don’t expect much clearance wise there.
They could build the team around N Daicos going forward. Bigger than his brother and can work in a phone box.
I’m a T Brown fan too. I will be interested to see where he’s played in the VFL.
I can only assume they are preparing him for a different role if he can’t get a senior game as a promising 21 year old, while Murphy and Kelly just need some injury luck. I would think our biggest changes will be across the centre and half forward lines next season and they would need to be.

It’s going to be a very new look team and club next year in so many ways.
As they say “ the day is always darkest before the new dawn “
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:27 pm

I'm having trouble disagreeing with any of that P2016.
slangman 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:52 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

R B , while I don’t necessarily think Bucks is a bad coach, I’m convinced his time is now up and it’s as much about pigeon holing players as it is delivering the same message.
The changes you’re asking for won’t be entertained ( let alone acted out ) while Bucks is there. The club needs a new set of eyes to look over the players and identify alternative opportunities to match their skill set.
Quaynor may get that mid field chance under a new coach but he won’t get it under Bucks. The only reason we saw plan B last night with Moore was because plan A hadn’t delivered on the desired win loss ratio five rounds in.

MacRae is a fine talent. I don’t think people stop and think that was the biggest and most nervous night of his life and he handled it really well. He’s a ten year midfielder.
Poulter is the one who should pass Sier by in one more dedicated pre season.
He’s built like Sier and wants the footy.
McInnes and Henry are more your forward of centre mids, so don’t expect much clearance wise there.
They could build the team around N Daicos going forward. Bigger than his brother and can work in a phone box.
I’m a T Brown fan too. I will be interested to see where he’s played in the VFL.
I can only assume they are preparing him for a different role if he can’t get a senior game as a promising 21 year old, while Murphy and Kelly just need some injury luck. I would think our biggest changes will be across the centre and half forward lines next season and they would need to be.

It’s going to be a very new look team and club next year in so many ways.
As they say “ the day is always darkest before the new dawn “

Bucks’ reluctance to change things up will ultimately bring him down.
His teams have had very little flair and as most on here have commented over the years, have been very “vanilla”
His persistence with mediocre players is worrying when the results are always the same.
Barring injury, its impossible to fathom why Mayne gets picked ahead of Murphy.
It’s similar to MM with players like O’Bree and Lockyer. Great servants but it was his decision to move them on mid season that lead us to being an exciting, dangerous and ultimately, a premiership side.
I feel that Mayne and Greenwood are the players this year that need to be moved out of the team for us to get better.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:13 pm

The good news is that Poulter looks the goods, with a BOG performance (imo) in the VFL today. Unfortunately, neither WHE nor Cox did enough to warrant a recall, but Murphy looks like a ready made upgrade on Mayne.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 7 of 11   

Jump to: