Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Buckley’s book

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Boot 

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 8:51 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Buckley has sent some pages over to be over looked for structure etc
It was mainly based on the Treloar departure
Here are some snipets

He believes losing Treloar broke the fabric of the club the way it was handled
He never wanted to lose Treloar and offered up other options (players) he thought was a better to proceed
His opinion was largely disregarded by list management
Was pushed out front by club to be the face of the departure when he was against it but followed the clubs wishes
The salary cap mess that led to Treloar’s departure was our own mismanagement
Started when negotiating Grundy’s deal
Club had a figure in mind not to be exceeded and that was broken by a far way
Grundy’s management played extreme hardball and we didn’t have the guts to call there bluff
Grundy’s deal was very much front ended (60% of total contact payable over first 3 years to allow Grundy the option to return to SA for twilight of his career if need be and his salary then wouldn’t be a issue to a SA club)
This is what put our cap under so much strain in the end
Has a low opinion of Ned Guy as a negotiator
Still holds hope he can one day rekindle relationship with Treloar

Overall there’s no real revaluations there I think most of this was already known and been in various media reports over the last couple years
Interesting part to me was he believes his voice in list management was largely ignored. To me that sounds weird if not stupid if the head coach has limited input into who we draft retain trade or go after

Gee I hope your correct with the claim that Grundy's contract is heavily front ended with 60% of total conract payable over the first three years. That equates to an average of $1.4M for the first three years and $0.7M for the last 4 years. That means that after this year Grundy being on $700K is a lot more palatable and along with the most of Trelaor contract also paid out by Collingwood after next year, Collingwood should be well positioned to move on to snare a high profile free agent either this year or next. Ben King come on down!!

Uncle Jack Virgo

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 10:53 pm

Boot wrote:
The pain of 1970 Grand Final still haunts me. As a 10 year old I can vividly remember the joy of kicking my footy around the front lawn at half time thinking Collingwood had this premiership in the bag. The horror that unfolded in the next 2 quarters as I was locked to the radio broadcast psychologically damaged me for the rest of my life - I've rightly never felt that any game is safely in the bag until Collingwood is more goals in front than minutes remain (Leigh Matthews rule of relaxation) and I have a pathological hatred of Carlton.
The trauma's of the 1977 Drawn Grand Final & 2018 Grand Final merely reinforced the acceptance of this is how football and barracking for Collingwood makes you feel on Grand Finals.
I think after all the reviews and introversion over the years, the fact that the great Peter McKenna was knocked out by Des Tuddenham, who gave himself a bad corkie in the same collision, just before halftime is the bad luck moment that cost Collingwood the 1970 premiership and is one of the great sliding moments in VFL / AFL history.
I often dream of what may have been if Tuddy had been just a touch more cautious with that contest... not only would have Collingwood won that 1970 premiership, the club would have gone onto thrive with a glorious era of VFL domination that would have resulted in at least 6 premierships in 1970, 1972, 1974 and 1977, 1978 & 1979. Des Tuddenham would never have left the club , Len Thompson would have had an even more stellar career, Johnny Greening would never have been so cruelly robbed of his destiny to be one of the all time greats, won the 1972 Brownlow and a couple more over the following 5 years and gone onto to be Collingwood premiership captain in 1977, 78 and 79 leading a superteam complete with Phil Carman, Peter Moore, Rene Kink, Billy Picken and host of other champions coached by Bob Rose with his loyal assistance Des Tuddenham who was charged with simply getting the players fit (Tuddy was on par with Tommy Hafey for his views on fitness)
In such a fantasy world Robert Rose didn't get into the car whilst drunk and went on to be a premiership player for Collingwood too.

I often wonder if for Collingwood fans, the pain of losing a Grand Final is greater than the joy and relief of winning one. It seems clear what your answer would be.

If only we didn't get 3 chances to build resilience for each time we get to feel true exhilaration.

IT"S JUST NOT FAIR!
Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 12:02 am

Until 1990 I honestly didn’t think that I would get to experience a flag in my life. Then 1990 happened and I was just deliriously happy with seeing one. 2010 was almost a bonus and I was incredibly thankful that I saw two. These days I have realistic expectations of possibly seeing another one but not too sure when.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 1:11 am

qldmagpie67 wrote:

Grundy’s deal was very much front ended (60% of total contact payable over first 3 years to allow Grundy the option to return to SA for twilight of his career if need be and his salary then wouldn’t be a issue to a SA club)

If true this makes it far worse for me, not better

Board interfering, risky contract length, risky salary, nobody prepared to call the managers bluff are all bad enough

Setting him up to return to SA after paying him $4m for 3 years would just add salt to the wounds

I’m not anti Grundy at all but the above is not what premierships are made from

Very disappointing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7   

Jump to: