Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies beat Bombers. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:25 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Magpietothemax wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:

I think there was a bit of rope of dope coming into the last quarter. They got back into it ( late ) in the third quarter when Frampton was off for a rest. Johnson was understandably outclassed as a relief ruckman and gave away a free to Draper who converted to add more pain. The Bombers never had a back up mid field rotation, particularly without Merrett, so we should have always been in a position to outrun them in the last qtr. Frampton started in the last quarter and we went to town on them with a deep midfield that still had a bit in the tank. To do that without Pendlebury having any impact for the last 15 mins made the comeback even more impressive.

We didn't have Adams, so how did their loss of Merrett set them back in midfield rotations? Good point about Frampton being off in the 3rd quarter allowing them a window of opportunity - I will review the replay of that to learn. But why does that mean we should have always been able to outrun them in the last quarter? As you say, the fact that Pendles was missing for the last 15 minutes makes this victory all the more impressive. To me, in that last quarter, every single player lifted. It infused the entire team: Will kelly, Trey Ruscoe, Oleg Markov, everyone. It was not based on midfield rotations. It was instead based on something not captured in statistics. It is based on: i) superlative levels of fitness that no other team in the comp understands (yet) how to emulate and ii) a mindset that no other team (yet) knows how to create.

Their starting midfield was Parish, Shiel and Setterfield ( let go for peanuts by Carlton ) and their back up mids were an unfit Stringer, Perkins who has hardly attended a centre bounce all year and Caldwell. Stack that up against DeGoey, Mitchell, Crisp, Pendlebury, Nick Daicos and Josh Daicos infrequently and you can see the gulf in class between both mid fields. It was also a reason why they couldn’t afford to tag Daicos through the mid field because Setterfield normally gets that job and they simply couldn’t afford him to be minding a player and only leaving them with two midfielders to compete against our group. Obviously our entire team lifted but it all starts in the middle and they were so dominant in fact, the ball spent very little time in Bombers F50
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:27 pm

PS, we need a better ANZAC Day jumper.

Outside of the ANZAC logo, it looks like our normal B&W jumper.

piffdog 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:30 pm

We’re very fortunate to have netted the Daicos boys through father son.

Like many, I didn’t think we could peg it back at 3/4 time but we weren’t playing as bad as I’m sure the game thread would have suggested (that’s why I steer clear during the game…). Some dud misses and a little more composure going I50 and the margin could have been closer. Maynard had that unfortunate shank which he won’t do ever again in his career. So perhaps the evidence as there all along that we could make a fist of it.

I really enjoyed Markov, Frampton, Ruscoe and even Kelly’s contributions when the game was on the line as fringe players. Shows that they are well prepared. Excellent stuff.

Feel bad for Hosko - there’s a few haters (I’m not one) but thought that was legitimately a mark in the square (which would have been another soda goal from the square).

Love this club - appreciate how they recognise others. It is certainly reciprocal.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:33 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:

I think there was a bit of rope of dope coming into the last quarter. They got back into it ( late ) in the third quarter when Frampton was off for a rest. Johnson was understandably outclassed as a relief ruckman and gave away a free to Draper who converted to add more pain. The Bombers never had a back up mid field rotation, particularly without Merrett, so we should have always been in a position to outrun them in the last qtr. Frampton started in the last quarter and we went to town on them with a deep midfield that still had a bit in the tank. To do that without Pendlebury having any impact for the last 15 mins made the comeback even more impressive.

We didn't have Adams, so how did their loss of Merrett set them back in midfield rotations? Good point about Frampton being off in the 3rd quarter allowing them a window of opportunity - I will review the replay of that to learn. But why does that mean we should have always been able to outrun them in the last quarter? As you say, the fact that Pendles was missing for the last 15 minutes makes this victory all the more impressive. To me, in that last quarter, every single player lifted. It infused the entire team: Will kelly, Trey Ruscoe, Oleg Markov, everyone. It was not based on midfield rotations. It was instead based on something not captured in statistics. It is based on: i) superlative levels of fitness that no other team in the comp understands (yet) how to emulate and ii) a mindset that no other team (yet) knows how to create.

Their starting midfield was Parish, Shiel and Setterfield ( let go for peanuts by Carlton ) and their back up mids were an unfit Stringer, Perkins who has hardly attended a centre bounce all year and Caldwell. Stack that up against DeGoey, Mitchell, Crisp, Pendlebury, Nick Daicos and Josh Daicos infrequently and you can see the gulf in class between both mid fields. It was also a reason why they couldn’t afford to tag Daicos through the mid field because Setterfield normally gets that job and they simply couldn’t afford him to be minding a player and only leaving them with two midfielders to compete against our group. Obviously our entire team lifted but it all starts in the middle and they were so dominant in fact, the ball spent very little time in Bombers F50

Thanks P2016. Great analysis as always and explains alot. But I would just like to know, why then were we so far behind at 3/4 time, given the gulf in class between the midfields?

makri Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:34 pm

if you want some comedy, check out the game day thread on the Bomberblitz forum. Start at about message 1,900, just before 3 quarter time. It's sure to bring a smile to your face.
schuey07 Aries

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:34 pm

Born to Pie wrote:
READ YOUR COMMENTS DURING THE GAME - You people are retarded, you blame the coach and the players DURING a game and then celebrate a win. It's not over until it's over FFS. Call yourselves supporters, BS.

This 100%. Some of the supporters on the game day thread leave a lot to be desired. I was at the game. Essendon had hands on hips at half time. You always knew we were going to come back and over run them.
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:39 pm

Born to Pie wrote:
READ YOUR COMMENTS DURING THE GAME - You people are retarded, you blame the coach and the players DURING a game and then celebrate a win. It's not over until it's over FFS. Call yourselves supporters, BS.

Respect your opinion but being an oldie, I have memories of similar experiences at the stand in front of the Collingwood Social club and in the outer at Victoria Park. Many members and fans used to rip shreds out of some players and when we win, they become great heroes 🤠 Sure that this must happen at all clubs, not just us. Aussie Rules is an emotional game.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:43 pm

schuey07 wrote:
Born to Pie wrote:

This 100%. Some of the supporters on the game day thread leave a lot to be desired. I was at the game. Essendon had hands on hips at half time. You always knew we were going to come back and over run them.

I'll be honest Schuey.
I did not know that we would run over them.
Hands on hips at half time. Yet they smashed us in the 3rd quarter.
Retrospect is always a good friend.
I agree, supporters should by now have more faith in the incredible fitness levels, mental toughness that our team has achieved.
I know that I learned an immense amount from this game.
Our guys have a mental courage, and physical fitness, that is elite. As supporters, many of us need to dare to believe. If we embrace it, comments will start to mellow (hopefully).

Last edited by Magpietothemax on Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:45 pm

I've watched this movie 3 times now, doesn't get old, although I must admit I do prefer the spinoffs that star the Navy Blues.
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:47 pm

schuey07 wrote:

TBH, I didn’t know and wasn’t as confident. Made the last quarter exciting.

Clifton Hill-Billy 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:50 pm

What an amazing win, thought we were gone at 3qrt time but we just surged like tsunami in the last and everything that had been going wrong in the first 3 quarters just reversed, no fumbling, no shanked kicks, footy sailed through the big sticks, it was magic. Naicos went full beast mode and destroyed the druggies, hopefully the boutso cleftie that punched him in the guts gets suspended
Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:56 pm

Born to Pie wrote:

Refer you to my signature. Goes for everyone. Just knee jerk reactions.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:57 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:

Thanks P2016. Great analysis as always and explains alot. But I would just like to know, why then were we so far behind at 3/4 time, given the gulf in class between the midfields?

Firstly, I was surprised just how good the Bombers were for three quarters. We need to remember they have been playing pretty good footy and put the Dees to the sword last week. Statistically, we won nearly every major KPI except F50 efficiency. They just got more bang for their buck than we did inside F50. When you watch the replay ( or even live ) you get a real sense for how badly we lost mid field control when Frampton wasn’t in the ruck. We were smashed in the third when Frampton was off for a while. I thought he was huge and he did it against two in form rucks and also got us going in the last with an important goal.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:04 pm

^ thanks P2016
I am now going to watch the 3rd quarter to review and learn from what you just said. Cheers.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:07 pm

It's foolish to write this team off, especially after what we witnessed last year.

I had a gut feeling we'd comeback hard in the final quarter, but it would be left until the dying stages to pinch it. It's crazy we took the lead with still 7 minutes remaining in the final quarter.

Umpiring didn't help us, but Essendon were mostly the better side for the first three quarters so it's something Fly and co will have to get to work on and analyse in depth.

Nick Daicos is made for the big stage. I've never seen a player as young as him burst onto the scene and look so mature and composed at his age. Pendles is probably the last one I can think of from our side.

Frampton is underrated. He can ruck and play multiple positions without any issue. Due to Cox and Cameron's injuries, he's arguably become our most important recruit of the off season. Credit to him for filling the void as well as he has so far.

McCreery was a relentless machine in the last quarter. That burst of pace and the determination to hurt the opposition is invaluable. He was a real game changer for us.

Shoutout to Ruscoe and Kelly who held up well in the final quarter. A lot of pressure was on them in the final quarter, but they defended the D50 well. It deserves some acknowledgement.

5-day turnaround against the Crows will be tough, but morale is high so you can never write us off.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 7 of 14   

Jump to: