Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies sink Swans. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 11:24 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't boo Franklin personally, and while there were some boos I think the media has blown the issue out of proportion.

The only player I directed my boos toward was Tom Papley.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 11:24 pm

Nearly wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
Quaynors best game for the club today. Frampton just goes from strength to strength and Ginnivan plays himself back into next weeks best 22. They were the unsung hero’s from todays game.

Quaynor’s best game of the year by far. He’s been fumble and out of position. None of that today. Looked rock solid. Augurs well for things to come.

Defo.

On Quaynor, that's now a great last quarter on ANZAC Day plus two great full games. He's got more gears, this lad.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 11:30 pm

doriswilgus wrote:
I prefer Friday night games to be honest.It’s always great to have a win on a Friday night and then to be able to relax for the rest of the week end.But we don’t seem to get that timeslot anymore.The AFL seems to prefer ‘sexy’ sides like Carlton and St Kilda at the moment.😝

I generally prefer the “feel” of Friday or Saturday nights but the good thing with a Sunday Arvo game is I get home relatively early from the G. I get home too late after the 7:50 pm games.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 11:38 pm

Never drop Ginnivan; he always makes things happen. His kick last week to Johnston in the beginning of the last qtr was sublime. He was the only one to kick it properly to Cox. Unfortunately Cox fluffed it.

We are playing well in bits of games, horribly in bits of games and ordinary in bits of games yet we’re still winning. Can’t wait till the injured players come back and we play well for longer periods in games.

Remarkable really. Cox was a welcome addition but looked wrecked by the end of the match.

I would never have picked us to be 6 wins and one loss top of the ladder after 7 rounds. Take a bow Collingwood Football Club for the effort so far. May it continue and develop momentum as year progresses.

piffdog 

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 11:40 pm

I’m not a booer and obviously respect Franklin’s CV. I don’t think he deserves to be spared because of his resume - should we bask in his greatness during the game? I would almost guarantee if he retired in a game we played our fans would celebrate his career as he’s chaired off.

My take is people boo because a) there’s a seperate set of rules for Franklin and b) never leaves a contest without his hands out in indignation that it wasn’t a free in his favour. Both of these things are inclined to draw the ire.

I feel like he’s self-entitled (and that’s hard to either prove or disprove and probably says much more about me).

Maybe if I had played 350 and kicked 1000+ I’d think I was pretty special too?

Enough about the oppo however.

Thought WHE was good early on and Cox back in made a big difference to our overall structure. Still a little bit keystone cops at times (Josh Daicos running into Quaynor 50m in the clear…) and Checkers playing in with Elliott all alone inside 50). Backline great - especially in the third. Feels like we have the perfect balance of lockdown, interceptor and rebounding runners. Loving Frampton’s development.

Hopefully no injuries.

piffdog 

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 11:48 pm

Kicking to the Punt Road end was like the Bermuda Triangle today - for both teams. Few saying elsewhere Swans kept us in it with their wayward kicking, it I think our kicking was poor at times too. Josh Daicos missed two he would gobble up normally, Frampton, Cox, Moore, Adams (at the city end) all probably 60-70% chances. Mind you, Checkers also probably plucked one if not a couple from his butt.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 11:49 pm

doriswilgus wrote:
Jezza wrote:
71,000 in attendance against an interstate team.

Excellent turnout by our supporters.

That was quite a crowd for a game against an interstate side on a cold,wet afternoon.Is that a record crowd for a home and away game for an interstate team in Melbourne?

For us, it is.

Overall, the record of a Vic club vs an interstate team in a H&A match is Richmond vs Brisbane in Round 23 2019, which got 76,995.

Top 10 (Vic vs Non-Vic H&A crowds in Melbourne)

Rd 23 2019 = Richmond vs Brisbane Lions (76,995)
Rd 18 2014 = Hawthorn vs Sydney (72,768)
Rd 22 1999 = Hawthorn vs Sydney (72,130)
Rd 8 2023 = Collingwood vs Sydney (71,463)
Rd 21 1996 = Essendon vs Sydney (69,237)
Rd 9 2013 = Collingwood vs Sydney (65,306)
Rd 21 2007 = Collingwood vs Sydney (63,842)
Rd 8 2015 = Hawthorn vs Sydney (63,319)
Rd 13 2012 = Collingwood vs West Coast (62,957)
Rd 11 1998 = Essendon vs Sydney (62,866)

Last edited by Jezza on Mon May 08, 2023 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 11:49 pm

Jezza wrote:
I didn't boo Franklin personally, and while there were some boos I think the media has blown the issue out of proportion.

The only player I directed my boos toward was Tom Papley.

...and extremely appropriate, Jezza!

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 12:01 am

Magpietothemax wrote:
Chipping the ball around as they did in their D50 is not in any way a frightening prospect for us.

It was when they were chipping it all the way through the middle and clear into their forward line!

Last edited by PyreneesPie on Mon May 08, 2023 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 12:01 am

watt price tully wrote:
Never drop Ginnivan; he always makes things happen. His kick last week to Johnston in the beginning of the last qtr was sublime. He was the only one to kick it properly to Cox. Unfortunately Cox fluffed it.

Interesting comment by Fly on this. the concept is that our team is actually 23 players, not 22. the sub in other words is an integral component of the entire game strategy. Fly emphasized that Ginni was not dropped, he is playing a complex role with 3 other small forwards, and tonight his role was different. Afterall, his impact was immense, being injected into the game in the last quarter with fresh legs.This is not to say that Ginni should be the sub next week! It is simply to say that we are developing a new holistic approach, which is particularly appropriate given that now there exists a tactical sub, so the sub can be brought into the game at any time.

piffdog 

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 12:02 am

Kicking to the Punt Road end was like the Bermuda Triangle today - for both teams. Few saying elsewhere Swans kept us in it with their wayward kicking, it I think our kicking was poor at times too. Josh Daicos missed two he would gobble up normally, Frampton, Cox, Moore, Adams (at the city end) all probably 60-70% chances. Mind you, Checkers also probably plucked one if not a couple from his butt.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 12:09 am

Top 10 (Collingwood vs Non-Vic H&A crowds in Melbourne)

Rd 8 2023 = Collingwood vs Sydney (71,463)
Rd 9 2013 = Collingwood vs Sydney (65,306)
Rd 21 2007 = Collingwood vs Sydney (63,842)
Rd 13 2012 = Collingwood vs West Coast (62,957)
Rd 19 2003 = Collingwood vs Brisbane Lions (61,868)
Rd 3 2019 = Collingwood vs West Coast (60,878)
Rd 2 2023 = Collingwood vs Port Adelaide (60,744)
Rd 7 1998 = Collingwood vs Sydney (57,894)
Rd 10 2006 = Collingwood vs Brisbane Lions (54,820)
Rd 16 2013 = Collingwood vs Adelaide (54,790)

JC Hartley Cancer

16 premierships now in the history books. Let's be the first club to 17 premierships.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 12:20 am

An icy reception and fiercely fought contest were the orders of the day to commence May, as Collingwood outlasted Sydney to prevail by 29 points. Both sides fought tooth and nail for groundball contests, both sides were particularly wasteful in front of goal as neither side had the impetus to punish their opponents with significant scoreboard pressure to break the game wide open or set up a match-winning lead. At three quarter time, it was anybody's game and in the balance to determine who would succeed when it truly counted and mattered. The Magpies were the team that held their nerve defensively, and were gradually able to pile on enough goals at the right time to take home the points and reclaim top spot on the ladder after 8 matches.

Collingwood won their key indicators from contested possessions by +9 (138 - 129), intercept possessions had a reading of +4 (77 - 73), hit-outs were won by +27 (46 - 19), while clearances had a margin of +5 (35 - 30), with centre clearances up by +5 (11 - 6). Tackles Inside 50 had an advantage of +16 (22 - 6), +1 for Marks Inside 50 (13 - 12), and Inside 50s had a gap of +12 (56 - 44). Sydney monopolised the stats sheet, winning disposals by +78 (432 - 354), kicks were won by +24 (246 - 222), handballs had a margin of +54 (186 - 132), while uncontested positions had a buffer of +99 (294 - 195). Tackles were up by +3 (55 - 52), +60 for marks (132 - 72), with uncontested marks claimed by +57 (120 - 63), and contested marks won by +3 (12 - 9). Stoppage clearances was the only statistical category (24 apiece) in dispute from today's game.

Scott Pendlebury (31 disposals @ 61%, 229 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 24 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 16 kicks, 15 handballs, 3 marks, 2 tackles, 5 score involvements, 5 clearances, 4 stoppage clearances & 2 Inside 50s) provided stability in the midfield and stoppages around the ground by feeding the ball out by foot to leading teammates, or dishing handpasses out to runners who had separation from their opponents to move the ball forward and keep it in motion.

Josh Daicos (23 disposals @ 65%, 234 metres gained, 10 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 11 kicks, 12 handballs, 5 marks, 4 score involvements, 7 Inside 50s & 2 Rebound 50s) responded well from a poor first half where had 7 possessions, by influencing the play in an accumulative and direct manner over the last two quarters. Josh was unfortunate in missing two goals that he would normally convert during the third term, but did not let those behinds define his game by accumulating 11 disposals in the last quarter to form a valuable connection to teammates who needed an outlet on the wing to maintain possession or produce territory that resulted in scoring shots.

Tom Mitchell (22 disposals @ 86%, 282 metres gained, 8 contested possessions, 14 uncontested possessions, 11 kicks, 11 handballs, 4 tackles, 4 score involvements, 4 clearances, 3 centre clearances & 5 Inside 50s) was absolutely crucial with clearance work and territory in his team's forward half to allow Collingwood's forwards opportunities to compete aerially in marking contests or groundballs up forward. Mitchell's ability to win centre clearances has been absolutely joyous to watch.

Steele Sidebottom (21 disposals @ 57%, 158 metres gained, 9 contested possessions, 12 uncontested possessions, 6 intercept possessions, 13 kicks, 8 handballs, 4 marks, 3 tackles, 1 goal assist, 3 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances & 5 Inside 50s) linked up possessions in small increments without the substantial territory that is expected with Sidebottom's brand of footy. Sidebottom, like Josh Daicos, provides an outlet on the wing to take marks or receive handballs to move the ball continually until the team outnumbers the opposition at ground level to score goals.

Jack Crisp (20 disposals @ 55%, 312 metres gained, 13 contested possessions, 7 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 15 kicks, 5 handballs, 2 marks, 3 tackles, 7 score involvements, 6 clearances, 2 centre clearances, 4 stoppage clearances, 4 Inside 50s & 3 Rebound 50s) had an impact on the contest with clearance work and scoring chains, but ball use up forward and inability to convert goals dampened his standards.

Jordan De Goey (17 disposals @ 82%, 106 metres gained, 11 contested possessions, 8 kicks, 9 handballs, 2 tackles, 9 score involvements, 6 clearances, 3 centre clearances, 3 stoppage clearances, 2 Inside 50s & 1 goal) contributed heavily in scoring chains despite being below his statistical output, while some of his clearance work got reward for effort.

Billy Frampton (13 disposals @ 38%, 207 metres gained, 32 hit-outs, 9 contested possessions, 4 uncontested possessions, 11 kicks, 2 handballs, 3 marks, 5 score involvements, 3 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 3 Inside 50s, 3 Rebound 50s & 1 goal) provided great service to his midfielders by winning his ruck contests convincingly at centre bounces to enable the midfield group adequate opportunities to send the ball forward, while Frampton's work around the ground at stoppages was equally
impressive. Frampton was the preferred ruckman over Mason Cox, who was eased back into action from injury and ably supported Frampton in the ruck when he wasn't available.

Nick Daicos (25 disposals @ 72%, 276 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 19 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 15 kicks, 10 handballs, 5 tackles, 1 goal assist, 3 score involvements, 3 Inside 50s & 2 Rebound 50s) won enough of his own ball in defence to still contribute to ball movement. Nick was moved into the midfield during the last quarter to shake off the tag, and was able to lose his direct opponent a few times in transition from stoppages.

Isaac Quaynor (22 disposals @ 73%, 270 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 17 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 14 kicks, 8 handballs, 9 marks, 3 score involvements, 2 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 2 Inside 50s & 5 Rebound 50s) was in sublime touch by thwarting Sydney attacks and saving goals with intercept marking and excellent rebound coming out of defence.

John Noble (21 disposals @ 76%, 403 metres gained, 8 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 6 intercept possessions, 20 kicks, 3 marks, 3 score involvements, 3 clearances, 3 stoppage clearances, 3 Inside 50s & 6 Rebound 50s) produced great run and carry, as well as driving kicks out of defence, which didn't always hit the mark but allowed the team more time to defend. Noble was equally prepared to roll up to the wing and pump the ball inside 50 where the team were able to score from each of his kicks that went forward.

Darcy Moore (20 disposals @ 80%, 282 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 11 intercept possessions, 12 kicks, 8 handballs, 5 marks, 1 goal assist, 4 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 7 Rebound 50s) played another great captain's game by judging intercept marks superbly, difused marking contests with timely spoils, and generated quality rebound to enable the team more time to defend.

Taylor Adams (22 disposals @ 68%, 135 metres gained, 9 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 11 kicks, 11 handballs, 3 marks, 5 tackles, 4 Tackles Inside 50, 1 goal assist, 4 score involvements, 2 clearances & 2 Inside 50s) won his fair share of the footy up forward with stints in the midfield. Adams emphasised his game on pressure and tackling to give the team a greater chance of scoring goals.

Will Hoskin-Elliott (17 disposals @ 94%, 290 metres gained, 2 contested possessions, 15 uncontested possessions, 10 kicks, 7 handballs, 5 marks, 3 tackles, 5 score involvements, 3 Inside 50s & 1 goal) was particularly prolific for three quarters as a high half-forward that made leads towards the ball carrier to take his marks, before linking up scoring chains and hitting the scoreboard in a solid outing against quality opposition.

Jamie Elliott (15 disposals @ 27%, 145 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 11 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 11 kicks, 4 handballs, 6 marks, 3 Marks Inside 50, 5 tackles, 4 Tackles Inside 50, 2 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 1 goal) worked hard for his possessions up forward, but his ball use by foot let him down on numerous occasions. Elliott was still able to maintain tackling ferocity and pressure up forward, while kicking a crucial goal when goals were at a premium.

Brody Mihocek (10 disposals @ 80%, 4 contested possessions, 6 uncontested possessions, 9 kicks, 4 marks, 2 Marks Inside 50, 6 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 5 goals) was Collingwood's player of the match when the game was there to be won. Mihocek was able to conjure goals, while everybody else were kicking behinds and finding it difficult to kick goals.

Collingwood's next game will be against GWS at the MCG on May 14. A giant challenge ahead for the Magpies, against a side that are usually very competitive. The key focus will be denying the Giants space and separation on the outside of the contest where uncontested possessions and marks are won. If Collingwood can own those areas, the Woods will become increasingly likely to prevail over the Giants and maintain top spot on the ladder.

Pep 

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 12:29 am

Good, tough win, in cold conditions.
We are banking some nice wins while we have some important players out, bodes well for the future.

Thought WHE and IQ had their best games of the season.
Was good to have Cox back, he makes a difference when he's in.
Frampton has really settled into this team, an inspired trade.
I'm happy that I was their today to see checkers kick his first bag of 5 goals.

Darcy Moore. We simply would not of won the last 3 weeks without him. So, so important to our team. Our most important player in my opinion.

Our forward connection or forward structure needs a lot of work. I know we are light on tall forwards, but I can't see what the plan is?

Thought we over played our turnover transition and got our selves under pressure which cost a few goals from turnover.

We are on top, so can't complain too much haha.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 12:32 am

Jezza wrote:
Fly's presser

You must be happy with the way your team fought the game out well?
Quote:
"Yeah, I just mentioned after the game, the ability to adapt and evolve our game plan on the run. You get to Round 8 and the opposition are looking at what you're doing well and they try to take that away, and then they find opportunities to exploit you. We're the same, but on a day like today against really good opposition just to find a way and get the job done, it was really pleasing".

Do you feel like you're the 'hunted' all of a sudden?
Quote:
"I'm not sure. I don't know. What do you think?

Possibly.
Quote:
"Yeah, I'm not sure. I have to give that a bit more thought, but to be honest we're just sort of living in the next opposition and living in trying to be a better version of ourselves, and I haven't given that much thought".

Were you expecting Sydney to do what they did in this game?
Quote:
"Yeah, we got everything we thought we would get. It's one thing to know what's coming, and the other thing is to try and stop some things. Credit to them, I thought the game was on a knife's edge for a major part of the game. Like the last two or three games, our pressure in the last quarter just goes to another level and teams right now are struggling with it".

Did you like how the guys 'flew the flag' at the start?
Quote:
"Yeah, we want to be a team that does that. I've said this often that when someone comes we want to go back at them, but within the rules. I was really pleased. Last week was the same. Week before someone comes at one of us, there's a 'flying the flag' if you like using that language, but there's not a stepping over the rules of the game. We don't want to be undisciplined, but we stand up for each other".

Last week, you said you didn't want Nick Daicos to be the story and you even said it was a bit of a non-story, how's he coping with the added pressure and attention on him?
Quote:
"I haven't asked him about it to be honest. I think it's a natural part of any good player in the competition. You go back in time, every very good player has had to go through this, and some have to do it for longer. This is his lot right now. He's a second year player just going really well and the opposition want to take that away. I was really pleased with his last quarter. He had 10 possessions in the last quarter and went into the midfield. Did his thing, so he's a hard player to stop".

What did you think of the impact Jack Ginnivan had in the last quarter?
Quote:
"I liked it. I really liked it and I don't like the rule as it sits right now where you've got to name 22 and the subs are 'dropped'. You know, we don't see it in that light. We mentioned that in our group, he's in our best 23. It'll look different next week possibly. Bobby Hill goes off because just because and then we rotate Jack in and he impacts. I don't like the rule, and I don't know if we can change it. Maybe we can change the rule, but we were very happy with Jack's impact on the game".

It looked like Jack [Ginnivan] was a bit 'stung' about being dropped?
Quote:
"We don't see him being dropped though. We had that conversation. I sat on my couch and said [to him] 'no, you're not dropped'. We're all trying to be better and we want to perform better but this game's a very hard one to do it week to week, but particularly playing a role like him and Bobby [Hill] are playing. Beau McCreery had low numbers today, but it's a difficult role. We get it. I played it for a long time, I realise it. You don't touch it, and then you got to see value in other things so we're trying to see value in other things and support them along the way".

What are the other things you're trying to see 'value' in?
Quote:
"If you watch closely how in offence the way that they set the field up for us, play a massive part in what we're doing. Get the behind the goals footage and you'll see the value in what they do for others".

Brody Mihocek had a career best 5 goals today. How proud are you to see him get rewarded for that?
Quote:
"Yeah, it's a great thing. Checkers is a really important player to us. Two weeks ago, he had a heavy load and a lot of attention. He's so critical to us right now with Dan [McStay] out. He's carrying that job, with Ash [Johnson] goes in the ruck some weeks. We're rapt for Checkers. We love him very much and it's great for him to get rewarded".

How much did Mason Cox's return help your structure and free up Brody Mihocek to get on the end of a couple of goals?
Quote:
"A lot, and Billy Frampton continues to really impact that part of our game for us. We might have found one there in terms of that role, but Mason today allowed Checkers to rotate more, Ash Johnson to rotate more and then Mason had great energy to impact when he was on the ground. I thought he was really impressive today, Mason for the minutes he played. We tried to play him about 56% game time and I thought he had impact in the aerial contest, which was really pleasing".

On the Daicos tag, were there any tweaks to free him up or was it all him in the last quarter?
Quote:
"No, we've got plans in place. We're not surprised by him getting tagged. I said last week, I playing chess with my dad and he liked playing against me till I started beating him and he didn't want to play anymore. He taught me about the importance of thinking ahead and two moves ahead in chess and that's what we'd like to do, not only with Nick, but in the game. We want to be strategic in what it looks like if he's not impacting or whatever's happening, is it Nick or whatever the parts of our game we want to be two steps ahead. We've got a plan around that".

Taylor Adams was involved in a heavy collision in the last quarter, how is he?
Quote:
"I think he's okay. I was a bit worried for him too. It was one of those knee contacts. He's a bit sore, but at this stage he looks fine".

How big was your skipper's performance today?
Quote:
"He's an amazing player, isn't he. I don't know if we give him enough credit or there's enough accolades. He's had 30 odd possessions today. We moved him to half back for a quarter and a half. The calmness and to keep the game where we want it. I thought the game today was like I said on a 'knife's edge' but you had to manage when to go fast and when to control the ball and he's just done that so well for us". He's a remarkable player".

^ NOTE: Question was asked about Moore, but Fly started talking about Pendles instead. Must have forgotten for a moment that Pendles was no longer the skipper.

Give us your thoughts on Buddy being booed today?
Quote:
"I've said this before, but I'm not a booer. We don't boo at home. You pay your money, you do whatever you want. I must admit, I didn't hear it but I don't know whether I had the headsets on or whatever, but we just don't boo".

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/1325850/post-match-press-conference-mcrae?videoId=1325850&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1683452202001

Cheers Jezza, Thankyou.

I didn’t get home til 1/4 time from Qld, so I missed the rough stuff, saw a bit on the news, was it bad?

Was the booing loud?

Cant believe their couch whinged aboutu5 regardless. Sook!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 7 of 12   

Jump to: