Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies win another thriller. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonmac1954 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:04 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Passion is one thing but some take it too far, savaging players and calling the team pretenders.

No excuse for that.
bucking awesome 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:09 am

As they like to say in Adelaide: I saw it right in front of me right in front of me

Awesome atmosphere

slangman 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:13 am

Fancy resting 7 players a week in advance of losing to the top team…..🤣🤣🤣

Port Pidgeons

ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:13 am

I think when people post stuff about players in the game day thread (I for one) don’t think for a moment that the poster is insinuating that the player is shit, but rather the play itself.

Eg., Masons throw tonight, it was clearly a throw (which IMO was idiotic).
Mason needed to just accept the umpires decision & stop sooking, play the game.

Good players find a way, yeah they’ll make some silly mistakes or play shitty from time to time, but they come good in the end when it really counts.

That’s how I see it anyways.

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
schuey07 Aries

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:25 am

jonmac1954 wrote:
Passion is one thing but some take it too far, savaging players and calling the team pretenders.

No excuse for that.

Exactly. We win by 1, they’re not happy. We win by 60, they’re not happy because we only play 1 quarter. No team plays at full intensity for the whole game. It’s not the way the game is played today. I think after the Geelong loss where we were up by 30+ and lost because we ran out of legs, something in the mindset of the coaching staff changed. We know our team will take it to anyone until the last minute of the game. To write us off 10 minutes in the third quarter, when we were down by 8 points is pathetic. Savaging players who are down doesn’t help.

Not everyone is going to get 25+ touches and not everyone is going to play their best every game. Some will play below their average and some will play above. You judge the quality of a player on form over a period of games, not how they perform in an half of one. Not every Port player had a great game.

We have enough issues with opposition supporters sh@ting on us, and then our own are worse. There’s not much more the team can be doing right now.

Some here wouldn’t be happy if we one the flag by 40 points, but we only played one quarter.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:39 am

Fly's presser

Do you play monopoly?
Quote:
"I've played it before".

Do you always get the 'get out of jail card' because it always seems to happen with your team?
Quote:
"I normally pay the money and get out early".

How did you get out of it tonight again?
Quote:
"How did we get out of it? Well, there's an enormous will to win. You look at the guys in the eyes at three quarter time, they know what we need to do. Let's start with the game, I thought it was an outstanding game. Credit to Ken and the boys, that was the best game we've been involved in this year and maybe in the last couple of years. The contest. I love the build up to it, like please don't squash that. I love the banter and the theatre of footy. We shouldn't get precious about comments. I wasn't. I got great respect for Ken. Enormous respect for Ken and I'm in the early stage of my career and I look at him and admire what he's gone through this year with what he's been able to do with this team under adversity. I think the theatre of footy, we should embrace it. Allow Brayden Maynard to be just himself, be authentic. What's wrong with that? Like that's just him. Why would we put that in the box? Ooh better not say that because that might fire the opposition up, like come on. You've still got to bounce the ball and get to work. I love that build up and the anticipation for this game. This was a great game of footy so it was an incredible outcome really".

Did you look back at some of those kicks from Jamie Elliott and Josh Daicos from the boundary and did you think it was something different?
Quote:
"No, it's a pattern of behaviour for Jamie. There's just moments and we want to manage those moments better than the opposition. We practise it. You can't practise kicking a goal from the boundary line from 45m out and you're down on the scoreboard. You can't practise that. You got to do it in time and trust that you've done the work. Funnily enough, we finished the game and I didn't speak much. I said 'what do you want to talk about'? And they talked about these things and managing these moments and being present in this and this spirit. It's an incredible thing to have when you have it. We'll nestle in this one. This is a big win".

How did the game change from the second quarter where you couldn't score to how you were scoring freely in the final quarter?
Quote:
"This is modern footy. You don't get it all on your terms. That's their version. They get territory and hold it in. They're so good at that and you can't get it out on this ground. We preempted it pre-game. They played their style and did it really well. I give praise, huge praise to our backs at Half Time. I thought they were enormous. They were under siege. Murphy was incredible. His best game for his career in his 50th game. His one percenters, his spoils, whatever it looked like. They were under the pump, and I showed some reasons of what we could do better to get a bit more territory. Even in the third quarter we had one kick to three handballs, and they were three kicks to one handballs. Those little things and they just played those conditions and the ground better than us for those patches. We just had to hang in there for the fight".

You said it was the best game you've been involved in. Did Port make you the most uncomfortable your team has been in over the last few years?
Quote:
"I'm not sure about that, but it's just that I thought it was a great game of footy. There was high tension and there were big moments. There's a lot of pressure for both teams, and the crowd was enormous and just sort of nestled in and enjoyed it. It was a great game. I'm sure ratings would have been good".

If we deal with the banter for the week; "being #1 in July". Do you feel you're better than everyone else?
Quote:
"No. Come on, that's a bit silly. Ladder position, yes. You look at teams. Again, I go back to Port, the admiration for that 14 weeks in a row winning that's very difficult to do in this competition. Geelong did it last year for 16, and they won it [the premiership]. It just shows you how hard it is to win this thing. We're in the business of qualifying. Right now, we've qualified for the Finals and we're heading towards qualifying for the Top 4, Top 2. That's our aim. Until we get that, we just keeping get better".

How big is it having experience in those big moments from the likes of Adams and Sidebottom?
Quote:
"Yeah, there's a clutch moment when you [Sidebottom] get a fingernail in to stop a mark right in the last minute of play. If he marks it, he has a shot from 55. He's a booming kick that kid. Moments? If that's a mark, who knows what this outcome is and what the storyline is. There's so many of those little moments that we'll cherish and we'll show and we'll highlight and reward and take them with us".

Beau McCreery was a key reason for you guys coming back in the final quarter?
Quote:
"Yeah, they've got Powell-Pepper who is a star and we got Beau who we love. You come to the footy to watch those blokes. They're just fierce at the ball and the opposition. The crowd roars when Powell-Pepper gets it. When we're at home, everyone loves it when Beau gets it so they're great assets for your team".

Where do you think you can get better?
Quote:
"I thought tonight around our contest to contest we were beaten in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. You pause the screen after a clearance or after congestion; there were more Port players than us. We need to get better in that area. That's finals footy and I thought they beat us convincingly in those parts of the game in the second and third quarter".

Port seemed to have a good plan for Nick Daicos in the first three quarters before he broke free in the last quarter?
Quote:
"Every week, I sort of make a comment about Nick and how good he is. Tonight, he did some things for the team that no one would have seen. It was important for us. Go to a selfless role or go to a stoppage and pick up someone else because Drew's going to him or whatever. He's really important to us and he kicks a clutch goal when we need him. He's definitely a really important player".

Is Tom Mitchell okay after being subbed out of the game?
Quote:
"Yeah, we were just sort of weighing up what we're going to do with Oleg [Markov] because Oleg can really run and we need to run in the game and we sort of thought do we give him a little bit around the clearance and then try to get the ball on the outside and then we 'uh and ummed' about the rucks. There's line ball decisions on this. He's really important to us so I hope he doesn't feel like anything other".

Nick Daicos started the 2nd half on the bench. Was it hard to get him on the ground because the play was on the other end?
Quote:
"It is a bit difficult at times isn't it. When there's no scoring it can be difficult. You got a guy sitting there that can't get on the ground and we have talked about some things we can do, but it becomes difficult yeah".

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/1385652/-it-s-an-incredible-thing-to-have-mcrae?videoId=1385652&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1690033016001

slangman 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:42 am

Nathan Murphy was sensational…but not as good as Ken’s player management.

😝😝😝😝😝

Should’ve rested all 22 chockers the week before!!!

mgh3536 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:00 am

Huge mention for Darcy Cameron

Massive contested game
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:35 am

Elliott passed the ball to Tay Adams instead of kicking it himself to ensure that Tay kicked a goal in his 200th.
Tay Adams interview after the game: he was in tears, just in awe of how this team never gives in.
Then inside the rooms:
" I am just overwhelmed at the moment..I just felt the love out there, the boys really tipped in...showed incredible fight in that last 15 ...20 minutes to get ourselves back in the game...It really has been an emotional week, so many people have shared in my journey and helped me get to where I am today, I hope they feel love tonight...that win was for them..
Re Elliott passing the ball to him to kick the goal: "Yeah, he is one of the most selfless players i have played with... I guess that is just one small glimpse of what we are at this football club, and how much we care about each other...we've played alot of footy with each other, been through some highs and some lows...Sidey's been huge...we have
I really missed him...his last two weeks...have been a real credit to him...
don't think Fly needs to reference it any more, [what we need to do in the last quarter] I think there is an inner belief in the group ... if we are within a couple of kicks , even 4 goals [ at 3/4 time] we feel like as a group... we are thereabouts to win the game... I mentioned to Nick Daicos, there is no one who can go with you for 4 quarters... he was probably getting beaten earlier but his ability to stick with it showed enormous maturity for a kid of his age, he is only 19 or 20 years old... I think he is untaggable for 4 quarters...
Amazing interview, and I actually think that it shows milestone games are in fact huge motivators for our team. Because our players are just so invested in each other, milestone games are actually hugely important, in a way that maybe has not been seen before. Credit to our coach, Fly, who has obviously created a remarkable team synergy.
Go Pies!! I truly love this team.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:58 am

mgh3536 wrote:
Huge mention for Darcy Cameron

Massive contested game

Yep, he was huge.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:59 am

I have followed the Magpies for decades and I have never seen a Collingwood team play like this one, ever. Ever. The resilience, courage, utter determination, the grit, the guts, the total refusal to ever be beaten, the never say die mantra has gone to a whole new level, i have never seen this before. This is a very special journey we are all on, with Flys team, and we are now privileged to be a part of it.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:30 am

^ Just watched the last quarter again. Lipinski was huge in the first 10 minues to get us back on level terms.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:55 am

A win against a good side and the way we won it was work work work

Just kept being punched and we counter punched till they crumbled

Question: How close to our side that will the finals side

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:56 am

A win against a good side and the way we won it was work work work

Just kept being punched and we counter punched till they crumbled

Question: How close to our side that will the finals side

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:18 am

Mc Stay is getting game fit and is becoming valuable
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 7 of 14   

Jump to: