Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies down to Blues. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gerry Cooper 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:08 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

That was probably the loss we had to have. Carlton outplayed in almost all departments. The footy gods deserted us tonight at key moments - Nick Daicos hitting the post, Jamie's "inconclusive" touched point etc. Often those little things go our way, and give the team inspiring moments. Also I thought at times we got caught going one hand ball too many in the chain, when the previous handballer should have kicked it.

I thought Murphy and Markov had reasonable games too - though practically everyone stuffed up at some stage, it was that sort of night.

Overall I don't disagree with a lot of what previous posters have said really. Though I would say, apart from the sub standard set shots, Carlton made us play that way. They beat us at our own game.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:38 am

LEARN FROM YOUR DEFEATS. -A KARPOV . EX WORLD CHESS CHAMPION.(and it applies equally, too football defeats , like last night ) !

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:57 am

1. Carlton are a good team. They have now beaten the top 2 teams over the last 3 weeks. Name anyone else who's beaten Port and Collingwood

2. Cox, Checkers and McStay does NOT work. For whatever reason, they all fly for the same contest.

3. No crumbers is a bad idea

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:51 am

What'sinaname wrote:
1. Carlton are a good team. They have now beaten the top 2 teams over the last 3 weeks. Name anyone else who's beaten Port and Collingwood

2. Cox, Checkers and McStay does NOT work. For whatever reason, they all fly for the same contest.

3. No crumbers is a bad idea

True!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:55 am

Gerry Cooper wrote:
That was probably the loss we had to have. Carlton outplayed in almost all departments. The footy gods deserted us tonight at key moments - Nick Daicos hitting the post, Jamie's "inconclusive" touched point etc. Often those little things go our way, and give the team inspiring moments. Also I thought at times we got caught going one hand ball too many in the chain, when the previous handballer should have kicked it.

I thought Murphy and Markov had reasonable games too - though practically everyone stuffed up at some stage, it was that sort of night.

Overall I don't disagree with a lot of what previous posters have said really. Though I would say, apart from the sub standard set shots, Carlton made us play that way. They beat us at our own game.

Spot on!
I felt like changing my normal Collingwood jacket to my new Collingwood oldie jacket jinxed us! It was that bad at time!

C’mon, who doesn’t have a pair of special for the footy something!

Ifyou look at my pics you can see sidey clearly had the ball before a carlscum player took a ‘mark’ that got them a goal, so there is12 points.

Ah well next week!

Ill cheers from Jasper National Park! Cheers!

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:06 am

What'sinaname wrote:
Name anyone else who's beaten Port and Collingwood

Collingwood. And Port had half their team out against Carlton, for crying out loud.

Last edited by Mr Miyagi on Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:09 am

The thought of continuing with Howe in the forward line does hold some appeal, based on our current circumstances. His three goals in a quarter showed his class and capabilities as a player who can get it done anywhere on the ground.
Normally I’m not big on the robbing Peter to pay Paul magnet shifting but we do have quality defenders in reserve and Howe as a genuine goal kicking alternative is a void we are desperate to fill. He plays tall, he’s mobile and he’s a leader in an area where we don’t have much leadership .Any changing of the guard would look something like Howe to the forward line, Cox out and Frampton in, starting as defender ( or on the bench ) who could fill other roles if required.
Good coaches try to minimise the changes to winning teams but that rare loss will make it easier to make those changes that may have been talked about but haven’t had reason to be actioned …. until now.
SonofRowdy 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:13 am

Hmmmm, having reflected on last nights game I think we need to make three positional changes, namely:-

1. Nick Daicos to the half back flank to give us some rebound out of the backline and take kick-ins;

2. Nick Daicos to spend more time in the midfield so that we can win some midfield clearences;

3. Nick Daicos to the forward line so that we have a front and centre, goal kicking crummer.

There, problems fixed. Your welcome....
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:38 am

I'd be piling all those blokes into a bus, along with a shovel each and heading for the beach.
Every one of them, dig a straight 50m trench, 500mm deep, think about their performance and harden up.
We got bullied and lost the plot. They don't just hand out premiership medallions, (which is what i'm sure some of these young fellas had been starting to believe) they are earned with blood, sweat and tears.

Crazy thing was, with ten minutes to go, we were still a chance to win! Kick some of those sitters we missed and it was another comeback miracle.

We can't dwell on that, we have a good look at the hawks on Sunday and get ready for next week, there's a home prelim to earn.

DT 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:44 am

Cox must go back to VFL - he has a spot if he plays well but he is miles off it at present. I would opt for Frampton over Johnson as he offers defensive solidity and I think we are vulnerable to very good key talls - Moore is not a great one on one defender whereas the forward line has more options. This decision will be an interesting one to watch. Frampton is also a better second ruck.

Adams seemed to have post 200 game blues but otherwise has played well recently. He can frustrate with his poor kicking and convoluted decision making but I am not worried about him.

IQ was well off his best. I think he was ill and he will bounce back.

Nick Daicos needs a week off to recover.

I think Carlton fired its best shot and yet only just won. I feel we have so much improvement in us. Yes, we have to make that a reality but I was not upset despite having historic scars from Carlton over 44 years and the tragic loss in 1979. I just don't have that feeling this year. I don't think Carlton will trouble us if we play them in a final.

23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:50 am

Does anyone know the head to head with Carlton I thought the gap is now 3 on the back of last nights lose
Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:53 am

Losing always sucks, especially to Carlton, but I actually thought we played pretty well last night, better than against Port, but we didn't get bailed out by ridiculously good finishing in front of goal.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:01 am

I think Vossy took his old coaches mantra "if it bleeds, we can kill it".
They looked like they set themselves for this, they were into it early on. Our inaccuracy simply failed to exert the pressure required to force them to make mistakes or second guess themselves.

Round 23 they were the inaccurate ones, although our 3.5 in the first quarter let them back into the game.
This time they didn't let us back in.
The brains trust will need to do their homework if we face Carlton again in a final. Ugggh.

We bled last night, and I'll give them full marks for the intensity they brought for 4 quarters. Vossy also got the better from the coaches box, particularly when they lost Cerra, who was near b.o.g before he did his hammy. Very good player that bloke.
In tandem with Cripps they smashed us out of the middle for the contested ball. It was a telling factor in the match.

And Curnow, well we panicked when he went near it. He, like Cameron is a repeat effort forward in the patterns they run. It confuses defences and he confused ours.
All in all I thought we looked tired and lacked the connective dash, despite efforts of Markov and Crisp.

We've lost 3 matches for the season. It's our best ledger since the 2010 / 2011 seasons and 3rd best percentage of our modern era
We were perhaps gulity of fast forwarding this movie to get to the end. The hubris that has built up around the Club caught fire last night and was put out, for now.
A good 7 day break should freshen us up. I can cop a loss, preferably not to Carlton, but I'm more interested how we respond over the next two weeks.

shawthing Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:17 am
Post subject: Re: Blues v piesReply with quote

orie wrote:
Just got back from the G and am still in shock from what I saw tonight from our players.
From the first quarter when Moore kept kicking out to the opposition, to Jamie Elliott not taking the kick on goal from a gift free, but giving it to Checkers who then, kicked a point.
Bewildering were some of the choices our players made . Pen/?dles kicking into the man even though he had walked way back from the mark, to Mc Creary hitting the post from dead in front and so on and on and on..
disbelief at turnovers into attack..Lipinsky Adams de Goey Checkers
Which player did not stuff things up!
Even Jamie who took a great mark in front of goal, directly, misses.
I was gobsmacked at what I saw.
Finishing up with Moore crashing into Pendles.
What a diabolical night.
That's how I felt.
Kudos to Howie , as a backman , kicking 3 goals in the last...one from the boundary..

Maybe I am not giving the Boos enough credit. They were good but jeez we made it easy for them..
Sorry for the rant but I had to sit through that and it was friggin hard ..

Perfect summary orie.
shawthing Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:18 am

Magpietothemax wrote:
Cannot find Fly's presser anywhere. Does anyone have a link?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bahHD4yECec
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 7 of 14   

Jump to: