Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What pisses you off?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 621, 622, 623 ... 717, 718, 719  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:48 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Dangles wrote:

I was a Christian for a number of years but I went through a process of becoming disillusioned and coming acros the writings of the New Atheists completed the process for me, Dawkins in particular. The religious thinking can still creep in from time to time and I can catch myself subconsciously thinking I should do things or not things because God would either approve or disapprove of them.

There's an old joke I refer back to which covers my thoughts here.

A priest, a Minister and a Rabbi were discussion how they divy up the collection plate after each service.

The minister said he had a line drawn on the floor in his chambers, he threw all the money in the air and what fell on one side was for him and the other side was for god.

The Priest said he did something similar, except he had a circle on the floor, whatever fell inside the circle was God's and the stuff that landed outside was his.

The Rabbi nodded and said he too had a similar method. "I throw all the money into the air" said the Rabbi "And whatever God can catch he can keep"

If God wants me to do something, come and tell me.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:50 am

I don't know what that means.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:52 am

There is a concept of "The Noble Lie" (Plato - Republic), where a society is led to believe something that is untrue in order to maintain social cohesion. This is where I believe Christianity sits, and our society as a whole is lessened by the lie being 'found out' as it were. The erosion of Christian values that have stood as protection against social disintegration and terrible ideologies isn't something to be applauded, no matter your beliefs. Even Dawkins has admitted as such.

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:09 am

And yet, Christianity as it manifested in centuries past was a terrible ideology (as I was saying to someone the other day, how much worse is ISIS controlled territory than, say, Cromwell's England, exactly?). Modern Christianity's current (relatively) benign character comes precisely from its loss of power, and from the victories of secular humanism from sometime before the Renaissance. That's not to say that there's nothing to what Dawkins says, but the point stands that the liberty that he and I and you enjoy would not have been possible if it hadn't been for Christianity's decline.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:19 am

A lot worse, since you ask - but, then, I don't suppose you were asking seriously.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:46 am

Cromwell was certainly an enemy of fun, but the punishments meted out hardly matched being crucified, burned alive or submerged in a cage like ISIS enjoy.

http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/stuart-england/life-in-england-under-oliver-cromwell/

I would suggest that Spanish Inquisition Europe would be more comparable than Cromwell's Puritan Dictatorship and even then, not even close.

http://www.strangenotions.com/spanish-inquisition/

"During the 350 years of the Spanish Inquisition, between 3,000-5,000 people were sentenced to death (about 1 per month)."

(Oh my God, sources).

I've actually contemplated joining a church myself, despite being Atheist. They all seem to hold faith over works as needed to get into Heaven though so I guess I'm shit out of luck. Laughing
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:49 am

Yes, but Santa always needs more elves, so you could maybe try that, instead?
Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:01 am

stui magpie wrote:
Dangles wrote:

I was a Christian for a number of years but I went through a process of becoming disillusioned and coming acros the writings of the New Atheists completed the process for me, Dawkins in particular. The religious thinking can still creep in from time to time and I can catch myself subconsciously thinking I should do things or not things because God would either approve or disapprove of them.

There's an old joke I refer back to which covers my thoughts here.

A priest, a Minister and a Rabbi were discussion how they divy up the collection plate after each service.

The minister said he had a line drawn on the floor in his chambers, he threw all the money in the air and what fell on one side was for him and the other side was for god.

The Priest said he did something similar, except he had a circle on the floor, whatever fell inside the circle was God's and the stuff that landed outside was his.

The Rabbi nodded and said he too had a similar method. "I throw all the money into the air" said the Rabbi "And whatever God can catch he can keep"

If God wants me to do something, come and tell me.

Good point.
Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:05 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
It's important to appreciate that God, if she exists, has better things to do than expressing routine disapprobation of individual actions. Some theologians seem to have that aspect of divinity confused with the purpose of Santa's "naughty" list.

Some? I would've thought that was the guts of the whole exercise. Good equates to following the rules and going to Heaven. Bad equates to not following the rules and going to Hell.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:19 pm

Sliced a bunch of really hot chillies about an hour ago to put in the dehydrator. Made sure to carefully wash my hands afterward, the residue from handling them is dangerous. Rub your eye and it's on fire.

Just went to the toilet.

My dick is now on fire. Shocked Confused Evil or Very Mad

Anybody want to come over and give me a blowjob with a mouthful of ice cubes?

Please?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:30 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Sliced a bunch of really hot chillies about an hour ago to put in the dehydrator. Made sure to carefully wash my hands afterward, the residue from handling them is dangerous. Rub your eye and it's on fire.

Just went to the toilet.

My dick is now on fire. Shocked Confused Evil or Very Mad

Anybody want to come over and give me a blowjob with a mouthful of ice cubes?

Please?

Belongs in the what made me laugh thread!

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:50 pm

^

Laugh? No respect.

I wonder what kind of reaction I'd get from the triage nurse if I fronted at the ED. Razz

Good news is the heat is gradually receding, my eyebrows have come back from the back of my head and are slowly working their way down my forehead to their traditional spot.

King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:55 pm

Laughing Laughing Laughing
A certain Kings of Leon's song comes to mind.

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:43 pm

Have to get up at 5am tomorrow out the door at 5.30 for the relay for life, doing 6-8 with junior, we will do 20 min intervals each. Looking forward to the relay, not the cold and time!
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:00 am

stui magpie wrote:
^

Laugh? No respect.

I wonder what kind of reaction I'd get from the triage nurse if I fronted at the ED. Razz

Good news is the heat is gradually receding, my eyebrows have come back from the back of my head and are slowly working their way down my forehead to their traditional spot.

I'm sure Tristan would be glad to help you out.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 621, 622, 623 ... 717, 718, 719  Next
Page 622 of 719   

Jump to: